Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Niric posted:

This is a very strange statement to make. Not because it's not the kind of thing that the tories would do, but because the "moonshot" is an entirely fictional concept whose large numbers are plucked from the aether with no basis in reality. Why bother to make any statement about the cost (or not) of something that does not, currently cannot, and most likely will not exist?

It's the opposite of plausible deniability. If you make up enough details then people start to doubt that it's fiction, especially as the news will give these perspectives equal credence because that's how journalistic balance works innit.

I heard it'll be £49.99 for the one day version delivered into your thigh by industrial staplegun, or £10,000 for a lifetime vaccine administered in an aerosol of Chanel #5. There's going to be a vaccination centre in every loaf of Kingsmill.

Edit: 108 is 3x3x3x2x2x1. Makes you think.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is a "site team" not just the word for facilities? Like the people who make the site work rather than conduct the business for which the site is constructed?
It is, but it's the sort of language that has replaced the bursar with the CFO as part of the marketization of learning, so I'd almost prefer they be called the cohortes praetoriae. And also not have cameras in the bogs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Cockfosters soon to be sponsored by an Australian lager and Victoria by a lingerie brand

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 22, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does raise the concern that if they are treating facilities the way a lot of chain businesses do and having a roaming team of people who service multiple sites, they might farm that out to another company and I am skeptical of whether they will bother to do the appropriate checks you would expect for someone working around children.

"The only person who has access to it is the guy who shows up in a van every week to fix the electrics" is not a super encouraging idea.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

As someone who went to a lovely school where the toilets were THE place to beat the gently caress out of someone precisely because there were no cameras or teachers, I'm not sure I'm that worried pedos will be watching my kids wash their hands. Obviously I don't care if the school gets vandalised, but if people are actually being hurt (which they were when I was at school) is there a better way of stopping it than cameras?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking personally even if the teachers know about it they probably won't do anything because they probably don't care. Also they can't and won't do anything about non physical abuse.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I have to give my DBS details to any school I visit - well, if they remember to ask, and most of them do these days - and generally if you're visiting enough that the staff recognise you on sight, someone's going to notice if your name isn't on the Safeguarding log.

Really, the issue is that Academies are a law unto themselves in many ways. And the conflicts of interest that crop up all the loving time whenever anyone starts really digging through the way they spend or make their money would be a massive red flag if 'getting rich' wasn't the whole point of the exercise.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

It does raise the concern that if they are treating facilities the way a lot of chain businesses do and having a roaming team of people who service multiple sites, they might farm that out to another company and I am skeptical of whether they will bother to do the appropriate checks you would expect for someone working around children.

"The only person who has access to it is the guy who shows up in a van every week to fix the electrics" is not a super encouraging idea.

I highly doubt the head is the only one with access (as is claimed), but having been responsible for running security in multiple schools, the chances are that the on site security team (who would fall under the generic ‘facilities’ or ‘site team’ heading) would be responsible for running and monitoring it. Quite a few of the schools I worked at had bathroom cameras, though normally just covering the door rather than the sinks. Though these were all orthodox Jewish religious schools, so I guess a bit less chance of people getting jumped in the bogs?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking personally even if the teachers know about it they probably won't do anything because they probably don't care. Also they can't and won't do anything about non physical abuse.

There's plenty of physical abuse in schools for them to tackle.

And yeah teachers knew and didn't care at my school. But at least cameras mean evidence which parents can demand is reviewed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah someone needed to get properly battered or someone needed to involve/threaten to involve a weapon before school gave a gently caress about anything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its mostly about if its on school premises, or not.
If it is, they can give half a gently caress as it may result in the school being sued.
If it is outside, no fucks given, its a police, private, or whatever authority matter.

My mum used to be a school assistant. Was pushed over by a kid (with a run of anger and behavioral problems) resulting in wrist problems for a few years as she landed on it.
It just happened outside of school grounds, literally 3 foot of the front gates, and the school went 'lol outside, not our problem!'.
Kid's parent threatened to sue the school and mum, and the school still said it was nothing to do with them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I have to give my DBS details to any school I visit - well, if they remember to ask, and most of them do these days - and generally if you're visiting enough that the staff recognise you on sight, someone's going to notice if your name isn't on the Safeguarding log.

Really, the issue is that Academies are a law unto themselves in many ways. And the conflicts of interest that crop up all the loving time whenever anyone starts really digging through the way they spend or make their money would be a massive red flag if 'getting rich' wasn't the whole point of the exercise.

Those Hikvision cameras are trivially hackable over the internet (and don't function at all without an internet connection). The dodgy van can be on the other side of the road or the other side of the world.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Its mostly about if its on school premises, or not.
If it is, they can give half a gently caress as it may result in the school being sued.
If it is outside, no fucks given, its a police, private, or whatever authority matter.

My mum used to be a school assistant. Was pushed over by a kid (with a run of anger and behavioral problems) resulting in wrist problems for a few years as she landed on it.
It just happened outside of school grounds, literally 3 foot of the front gates, and the school went 'lol outside, not our problem!'.
Kid's parent threatened to sue the school and mum, and the school still said it was nothing to do with them.

Wait, your Mum got her wrist all busted up and the kid who did it's parents wanted to sue her and the school? How the gently caress would that ever stand up in court?

An old friend of mine got her wrist broken as a teaching assistant by some prick kid kicking a football full blast at her. In a tight corridor inside the school. This was about 13 years ago, and the school just went 'lol we're going to do precisely gently caress all about this, take us to court, it'll never go anywhere.' Nice system.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The coworker who sits next to me came in after being in bed at home for 3 days with "just a cold", coughing and looking worse for wear. Also didn't put on a mask until I asked him too.

Taking bets on coronachan saying hi.

VVVV
I choose to believe that's a reply to me, kinda upset tbh. If not beyond mild tutting, because, well, obviously.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 22, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
What them childer need is for to be beat merciless :mad:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
A new-build school I worked at ~10 years ago had unisex (is that term OK? Apologies if not) toilets, where there were just these large semi-circles of individual cubicles right in the middle of different areas of the school. This was designed on the basis that a lot of the worst behaviour takes place in the toilets. It actually worked really well, as they managed to retain complete privacy for kids actually going to the loo or wanting to be in a cubicle, while getting rid of the actual 'toilets' as a generic space where lots of kids can congregate and no teachers can go.

Not sure how nice it would have been to take a big dump in them, mind.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sounds ideal. And why would "unisex" not be ok, you spod?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like solid wall structure cubicles or flimsy chipboard on legs cubicles?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Man woe betide you needed a shite during actual breaks at my school, for some reason there were at least 2 groups of kids that hung about in the bigger ones, and as soon as you hit that cubicle expect banging on the door & random litter getting chucked over into the cubicles. 30 years hindsight says 'why on earth would you choose to hang about in a grim bog that forever smells of piss', but once someone said 'just use the 6th form or old Sports Hall ones' everything was peaceful. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
More like TURD talk.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Keith's key note starting off with "we failed in December because we didn't listen".

EDIT: Oh god Ruth is still standing in shot, she's going to have to awkwardly walk off camera.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 22, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Perfect.

I don't think he's said anything at all yet except that he's angry.

Oh no, an extended metaphor about being shadow ministers. This is bad, send the script back to the editors.

Fake EDIT: "We deserved to lose the last election, for not listening to people"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

stev posted:

So tomorrow's announcements will literally just be pubs and restaurants closing an hour early? After today's announcement that we're all hosed?

https://twitter.com/Billie_T/status/1308158327382212608

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

'a new leadership' lol is that really the slogan. Might as well own it and have gone with NO JEREMIES CLUB

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kecske posted:

'a new leadership' lol is that really the slogan. Might as well own it and have gone with NO JEREMIES CLUB

We can have one, then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good morning from normal country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AScribbledEagle/status/1308321859633635328?s=19

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/22/work-from-home-if-you-can-coronavirus-says-michael-gove - people should work from home if they can!

Whoop whoop! Now to see how many employers go along with it...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's nice to see that Labour is taking responsibility for Jo Cox's assassination

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1308324311279771649?s=19

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

SpaceCommie posted:

"We deserved to lose the last election, for not listening to people"

It's really impressive when he was shadow Brexit secretary for that election and the very person pushing a second referendum.

Almost as impressive as Sam Mathews being hailed as a whistle blower for the very department he ran not tackling antisemitism.

It really seems you can simultaneously cause a problem, and then later staunchly rail against it... as long as the press think you're one of the good ones.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Perfect Element posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/22/work-from-home-if-you-can-coronavirus-says-michael-gove - people should work from home if they can!

Whoop whoop! Now to see how many employers go along with it...

I imagine PCS are laughing their asses off at not having to spend money balloting strike action to prevent the death march back to Whitehall

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Goldskull posted:

Man woe betide you needed a shite during actual breaks at my school, for some reason there were at least 2 groups of kids that hung about in the bigger ones, and as soon as you hit that cubicle expect banging on the door & random litter getting chucked over into the cubicles. 30 years hindsight says 'why on earth would you choose to hang about in a grim bog that forever smells of piss', but once someone said 'just use the 6th form or old Sports Hall ones' everything was peaceful. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

My secondary was exactly like this. Cameras on the doors seems positively benign, they should have had sniffer dogs and metal detectors in the bogs. By the time I got to year 11, they were completely locked down all day and you had to go and get a key with a block of wood attached, like at a remote petrol station.

This did not remedy the issue of kids being in immense physical discomfort from holding it in all day as the cause changed from 'not wanting to get filled in' to 'too embarrassing to ask for permission to take a dump', but it did stop mirrors being smashed and paper towel dispensers set on fire on a weekly basis, so from an asset/site maintenance perspective, problem totally solved!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Guavanaut posted:

On the day that the leader does his big speech this is going to be the story isn't it. Good job Labour!

Desiderata posted:

It's really impressive when he was shadow Brexit secretary for that election and the very person pushing a second referendum.

Frustrating that there was no analysis of why Labour lost. What weren't we listening to the people on? Oh sorry you just meant to make people think of Corbyn and they'd fill in the blanks with whatever reason they already have. Got it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like solid wall structure cubicles or flimsy chipboard on legs cubicles?

They were solid, with ceiling-to-floor height doors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So Jewdas want the Labour Party to become Tories. Right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Great example of why labour Ur accepting the Tory narrative, as they're currently doing, ends badly

https://twitter.com/hoodedman1187/status/1308325029684432896?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

This is due to https://twitter.com/rachshabi/status/1308290848673718272?s=20

Jedit posted:

Quite the opposite I think

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1308317262114324480?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

That's quite a clear dig that from the moment they lost the Remain movement either did no self reflection whatsoever or waited until Corbyn was gone and apparently then it's right to leave and all that can be done is making sure we leave well.