Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

careful, if we both post on similar subjects close together we'll make people...uncomfortable.

Shadow225 posted:

i don't get it. can you explain the joke

Suddenly Susan posted:

Well the last time that ketchup and I posted in the same thread you went through years of our collective post history, got super upset about an Air Bud joke, and stopped posting for a month after making everyone feel bad for having fun on a comedy forum. Pretty sure you’re the joke dude.

I don't know what sort of pre-existing beef the three of you may be involved in, but you need to not import it into this thread. That first post was backhanded bait even if it was just intended to be joking; the second was taking the bait, and the subsequent posts were furthering the fight that had been picked.

I cannot tell from these posts who, if anyone, is "in the wrong" so I am not handing out a probation; but I would like each of you to avoid triggering conflicts like this, or engaging with them, in random TG threads.

If there is some sort of cyber-stalking or a violation of SA rules or one of you is in trouble, that any of you feel the need to follow up on, please PM me or any mod you like and we can figure out what needs to be done without making GBS threads up this thread. Otherwise, you can also opt to just let it go and not bring it up again if you'd all rather walk away from whatever it is. That's fine too.

Those are the only two options, though. Please don't carry forward any of that in this thread.

Thank you and please try to be good to one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Communities are largely comprised of people who stick around, so diversity doesnt have to be a selling point for people to dabble in netrunner, but it might be a hook that keeps them in.

That said, the community is probably better than mtg because competitive mtg has a lot of prestige for (and therefore attracts) a certain style of self-important nerd, the likes of which would poison just about any community, in-game diversity or no.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Clank is a board game that I played once and I had fun but the fun was at the expense of the game itself. I kept playing recklessly and like a good 3/4ths of the clank tokens in the bag were from me yet every time someone drew from the bag, they managed to draw another player's token. Basically it's like I was running around screaming and picking up loot in the noisiest armor possible yet it was everyone else who ate poo poo for it. I also felt bad because the person who wanted to play the game ended up losing pretty badly and it was their birthday and this was one of their birthday requests, to have people play her favorite board game with her. So here I come winning 1st place by a country mile by just going "eh gently caress it" and being as noisy as I want to and hoping I'm lucky enough to not get hit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

are there any heavy (3.5+ weight) games on the horizon for the next 6-9 months? I looked at BGG's upcoming preview (https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/26/new-game-releases-september-october-2020) and nothing jumped out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Clank is a board game that I played

Clank is like the royal flush of deckbuilder sins: there's 2 too many currencies, no action economy to temper draw-into-draw, a market row with nothing to mitigate random flops, and wildly imbalanced cards.

All of those flaws were foreseeable, and they all interact together into making a very random, snowbally, unsatisfying game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
AND it has a dungeon crawling theme and fun art, so its way more popular than the many, many, better games it attempts to be like.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
My copy of Spirit Island Jagged Earth finally arrived here in NZ and I discovered that I'd completely forgotten I'd ordered the Broken Token insert, and in the meantime had made my own lasercut organiser. So I now have a spare which would be great except that the Broken Token one has made a lot of people unhappy for having morphed from a one-box solution into a two-box one (unless 100% lid-lift doesn't bother you for some reason).

I think they must have added some cards since the laser-cut one I designed as it was a very tight-fit, but thankfully I can get everything in there with about only 5cm of lid-lift (though this is leaving out the extra energy tokens etc for 5/6 players cos who the hell would play SI 5/6 player).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know what sort of pre-existing beef the three of you may be involved in, but you need to not import it into this thread. That first post was backhanded bait even if it was just intended to be joking; the second was taking the bait, and the subsequent posts were furthering the fight that had been picked.

I cannot tell from these posts who, if anyone, is "in the wrong" so I am not handing out a probation; but I would like each of you to avoid triggering conflicts like this, or engaging with them, in random TG threads.

If there is some sort of cyber-stalking or a violation of SA rules or one of you is in trouble, that any of you feel the need to follow up on, please PM me or any mod you like and we can figure out what needs to be done without making GBS threads up this thread. Otherwise, you can also opt to just let it go and not bring it up again if you'd all rather walk away from whatever it is. That's fine too.

Those are the only two options, though. Please don't carry forward any of that in this thread.

Thank you and please try to be good to one another.

If you don''t know literally anything that transpired but can already acknowledge first dude entire post was baiting me and choose to do nothing about it while giving them the benefit of the doubt, what is the point of posting publicly well after it's transpired to try and posture for power like you're going to do literally anything substantial?

Also gently caress you for pretending that I didn't PM Reene about this over a month ago.

You're part of the problem. You can put up all of the Believe Women poo poo you want, but you're the same boot licking piece of poo poo that Lowtax attracts. You don't want to do anything, you just want to walk in and polish your badge like a loving cop. Just like them, you won't do a drat thing to protect a victim.

I'm putting this here to shine a light on your lovely behavior enabling it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

If you don''t know literally anything that transpired but can already acknowledge first dude entire post was baiting me and choose to do nothing about it while giving them the benefit of the doubt, what is the point of posting publicly well after it's transpired to try and posture for power like you're going to do literally anything substantial?

Also gently caress you for pretending that I didn't PM Reene about this over a month ago.

You're part of the problem. You can put up all of the Believe Women poo poo you want, but you're the same boot licking piece of poo poo that Lowtax attracts. You don't want to do anything, you just want to walk in and polish your badge like a loving cop. Just like them, you won't do a drat thing to protect a victim.

Im kind of curious, what exactly happened to you that warrants comparing the situation to abuse of women and minorities

e: Im not actually curious but you should probably think about it a bit on your own

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Take it to QCS, and contact VideoGames.

You've had an IK tell you politely not to poo poo up the thread, so take his advice mate.
Don't get lovely with the IK who is trying to help and who gave you avenues to persue. If there are problems behind the scenes the mod team is here to help, and QCS is your better bet.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Brining back game group chat and specifically card games:

I love card games (mtg, netrunner, destiny, etc.) but have anxiety about potentially getting a rule or something wrong when playing with strangers. So I’ve been putting together draft and prebuilt deck cubes for all my card games over the past year or two so that I can play these games that I love with my existing game group. I’ve board gamified ccgs/lcgs.

It has been the best thing allowing me to introduce these games to my friends that don’t want to invest in those types of games. The cube format also makes every game unique forcing you to explore different strategies.

Added bonus of sleeving thousands of cards which is a nice cherry on top.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I just noticed Planet Apocalypse is back on Kickstarter for the second printing and have seen a few passing comments saying its a pretty great ameritrash coop (maybe a good complement to Spirit Island). Anyone have a play or two under their belts?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

nordichammer posted:

It doesn't have to be pitched as a selling point for people to feel more comfortable playing a game where they feel represented.

Yeah I just meant it was never at the forefront or something that was explicitly pushed in any game material, in the way that some games are "about" something. They just did a great job in the background design and art direction to create a very inclusive dystopia that was negative and hopeful about the future at the same time.

Control Volume posted:

Communities are largely comprised of people who stick around, so diversity doesnt have to be a selling point for people to dabble in netrunner, but it might be a hook that keeps them in.

I do really like this thought, the gameplay design grabs them and the openness of the setting keeps people around for a community to coalesce. It does require purposeful commitment to being open and accessible bit the payoff is worth it.

For content, run last click podcast did some interviews I remember, one was damon stone who talked about being purposefully inclusive in the game, and the other was with a female art director (can't find the episode to get her name) who talked about working with freelancers and selecting art and all kinds of cool behind the scenes stuff, it sounded like she had a job and a half. This makes me want to go back and review those I remember them being good.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

You are under several misapprehensions about how things work around here. As an IK, I have no access to mod forums. I had no way of knowing that you'd previously contacted a mod about anything. I can't even see reports. I received a brief message from a mod asking me to check two posts in this thread because they'd been reported. That's it - that's 100% of the information I had. I can't even see the report reasons. With zero background, and a request from the mod team to take a look, I took a look.

You nearly did the right thing by following up with a PM, but very the wrong thing by using that PM and this post to attack and insult me, accuse me of being in league with evil forces, attack me for not knowing you'd sent a message to a different mod, and of course, you also continued to poo poo up this thread after I asked you nicely not to. I'm sorry you didn't get satisfaction from whatever previous interactions you had, and if you were 100% less of a gigantic rear end in a top hat to me about it, I might have been inclined to try to help you sort that out. Instead, I'll do as you suggest and solve the only problem I actually have any responsibility for immediately. Take your time off to reconsider your approach to jumping to conclusions and attacking people who have suggested they could help you. Meanwhile I have forwarded your PM to a mod and I will let the moderators take things from here.

e. SA moderator Athanatos has told me they will follow up. It's entirely out of my hands now.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 22, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to clog up the thread further, but I just wanted to chime in by saying 'thanks' to Leperfish. From my position on this whole matter, you've been very level-headed about this and extremely fair by giving Shadow225 and the others a quick caution about the situation. I'm not sure why Shadow's still harping on about it all (well, would be if he hadn't been probated I guess :v: ) but yeah, you get my thanks for unclogging the thread anyway

In any case, as a follow-up to my post about Nuclear War a week ago, I might just be in luck! Again! I've hopefully got a lead on getting the two main expansions for the game, (Escalation and Proliferation) plus a bunch of booster/event cards for the game. Very exciting for me - I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for many years, and everything's suddenly falling straight into my lap! :D (Everything's coming up Milhouse!)

Just curious though; are there any good places to find sellers for old/used board games, (aside from ebay and BGG, of course) by any chance? Since surely those and FB marketplace/groups aren't all the options I have, down here in Australia

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 22, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Just curious though; are there any good places to find sellers for old/used board games, (aside from ebay and BGG, of course) by any chance? Since surely those and FB marketplace/groups aren't all the options I have, down here in Australia

Is Craigslist a thing down under?

Aside from Kickstarter, almost all my new-to-me games in the past few years have come from local flea markets run by the FLGS and trades/sales through BGG, in particular the monthly US math trade a BGGer runs.

There are also a bunch of apps to help people sell their unused stuff like Mercari and OfferUp but I haven’t used them and don’t know if they operate in Australia.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Is Craigslist a thing down under?

Gumtree is probably the closest equivalent but it's horrible.

In NZ the Facebook buy/sell board games page is super active (like several posts a day which given the size of the country and how niche the hobby is is a lot), I'm surprised that it wouldn't be similar in Aus?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

are there any heavy (3.5+ weight) games on the horizon for the next 6-9 months? I looked at BGG's upcoming preview (https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/26/new-game-releases-september-october-2020) and nothing jumped out.

Kanban EV is the only one I know of.

Also there is a November-December preview. I haven't been through it in detail yet, but possible heavies there include CloudAge and the new Hollandspiele release.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 22, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I finally get to play Spirit Island+Jagged Earth today with an (online) group!

One of the players hasn't played the game before, one hasn't played the expansion, so I'm wondering how to go around teaching/choosing the difficulty level/optional stuff.

I was planning to follow these steps:

- Explain the purpose of the game, run a quick example of how the invaders work and how they will force a game over via blight if the spirits don't do poo poo.
- Grab an easy spirit, explain the spirit phase, fear and event cards and how to win the game, explain disease and beasts.
- Add an adversary at level 0, explain.
- Choose spirits. I have them ordered by complexity, so each player can decide the level they are comfortable with and they get to decide from 3-4 instead of 21.
- Explain the rest of the relevant tokens, depending on the chosen spirits.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosthaven is coming out in 5 months, can't get much heavier than that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Prophecy of Kings?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
As much as I adore it, Spirit Island is a heavy and complicated game even without the expansions. Oddly enough, Branch and Claw adds far more complication than Jagged Earth but that's going to be academic for your totally new player.

If you are anything like me, you want to play with all the toys all at once because Spirit Island is amazing and Jagged Earth is so much more, but that's going to be really unfair on your brand new player. As much as you probably don't want it to be, this game needs to be a training game. No blight card, no adversary, no events and the spirit power card for the new player. Page 20 (Don't quote me on that) of the Jagged Earth rulebook has the rules for playing without the Event deck, but you could honestly just not use the deck and be ok given how low the difficulty will need to be.

All the tokens exist on the new spirit powers, so you will need to explain everything anyway in that regard.

Of the new spirits, the ones that only use vanilla rules are: Fractured Days Split the Sky, Shifting Memory of Ages, Shroud of Silent Mist and Starlight Seeks its Form. I wouldn't want Fractured Days in a beginner game though because of how they change up the decision space for the other players. Same would apply for Finder of Paths and Many Minds.

So your rules steps look like this:

- Explain the purpose of the game, run a quick example of how the invaders work and how they will force a game over via blight if the spirits don't do poo poo.
- Grab an easy spirit, explain the spirit phase, fear and how to win the game, explain all tokens and isolate.
- Choose spirits. I have them ordered by complexity, so each player can decide the level they are comfortable with and they get to decide from 3-4 instead of 21.

The experienced players clean sweeping the board with their brand new powers will be a much more enjoyable experience for the table than your new player drowning and losing you all the game. That's the sort of thing that has people never coming back.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Suddenly Susan posted:

I’ve been putting together draft and prebuilt deck cubes for all my card games over the past year or two.

Jank decks are more fun than fine-tuned tournament decks. Wish I never sold my Netrunner :(

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

shalcar posted:

Good advice

I will say we've taught with jagged earth tokens since we didn't want to pull the deck apart and it went pretty well, since each token other than beast just corresponds with an invader action, and beast does nothing on its own.

We only used the first set of spirits as suggested though, so that way the players were introduced to tokens slowly as they drafted new powers. But definitely no adversaries, events, or blight cards.

You definitely forget how heavy the game is compared to how smooth it actually runs though. New players are overwhelmed but the invader stuff is actually really crisp and easy to predict what will be happening once you know the rules. But since heading off problems before they start is the name of the game (since most strong powers are slow) new folks can struggle since most if it is thinking one step ahead.

Which is why I think lightning and river are the best teaching spirits, decent amount of fast power and straightforward innates.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 22, 2020

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Kerro posted:

Gumtree is probably the closest equivalent but it's horrible.

In NZ the Facebook buy/sell board games page is super active (like several posts a day which given the size of the country and how niche the hobby is is a lot), I'm surprised that it wouldn't be similar in Aus?
Yeah, it's active and you can get some real bargains. I actually had to leave it about a year ago and never rejoined because I was getting The Deal Mania and being tempted to make increasing poor choices.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Weight-wise, Spirit Island is like Yokohama. Once you get the flow of the game, it's pretty simple. But reaching that point is hard. It takes so long to explain how everything works, and all the parts do matter. But once you understand all the steps, they slot well together so you can easily remember one part of the rules by thinking about another phase.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Nah, it got pushed back to July at the earliest, and could easily get further delayed beyond that.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

hoiyes posted:

I just noticed Planet Apocalypse is back on Kickstarter for the second printing and have seen a few passing comments saying its a pretty great ameritrash coop (maybe a good complement to Spirit Island). Anyone have a play or two under their belts?

I went all in on the first KS and have played a couple of solo games. Everything in the game is huge (the maps, the minis, the player boards) It takes 4 giant boxes to store everything. There is a lot of variety between the characters you use, the main and sub boss that is used, and the map that you use. However, everything in the game comes down to die rolls and you need to roll higher than X number to do anything. This can lead to some frustration as there isn't much you can do in terms of dice mitigation.

Cthulhu: Death May Die does pretty much everything PA was trying to do, but in less time, with more variety, and a fun twist on your typical Cthulhu theme. I am excited to get DMD back to the table and I'm sort of regretting my PA purchase.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

golden bubble posted:

Weight-wise, Spirit Island is like Yokohama. Once you get the flow of the game, it's pretty simple. But reaching that point is hard. It takes so long to explain how everything works, and all the parts do matter. But once you understand all the steps, they slot well together so you can easily remember one part of the rules by thinking about another phase.

We bounced off of it hard. Twice. Not willing to try a third time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

thanks for the replies re: 3.5+ weight upcoming games.

Jedit posted:

Kanban EV is the only one I know of.

Also there is a November-December preview. I haven't been through it in detail yet, but possible heavies there include CloudAge and the new Hollandspiele release.

saw some overlap there with the link I posted, CloudAge does have some promise.

Rutibex posted:

sirtommygunn posted:

Nah, it got pushed back to July at the earliest, and could easily get further delayed beyond that.

though this fits weight wise, in my head I considered it a GH expansion and ignored it.

Infinitum posted:

Prophecy of Kings?

I'd forgotten this was the TI4 expansion title. I love TI, just wish I played it more than once every 2-3 years.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Dominant Species: Marine is now at the printer according the GMT P500. Hopefully it's able to sneak in before the end of the year.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Spirit Island chat: game successful, it's taken 3 and a half hours including explanation. We used Thunderspeaker (me), Vital Strength of the Earth and Shadows Flicker Like Flame (with the Power Aid). I skipped the Adversary, but did add events (I didn't trust myself remembering how to use beasts otherwise) and the healthy island card (one of the players had played once already, and he was asking me about it). Turns were going fast in the end, we won and we're playing again on the weekend.

Thanks for the advice, even if I disregarded some of it.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

18Mex is available now I believe, if you like train games :v:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Enjoyed Tom Vasel's angry review of Tellstones,which echos my sentiment; if anyone else released it, it would have been ignored.

Also his exasperation of his colleagues saying its deep,you got to understand the lore and its good.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Kerro posted:

(though this is leaving out the extra energy tokens etc for 5/6 players cos who the hell would play SI 5/6 player).

In my experience Spirit Island scales really well for a heavy game with player count since everything can be simultaneous unless it needs to not be (and the Jagged Earth rules for archipelagos mitigates that happening).

That’s assuming everyone has a good grasp of the game and can process the invader actions on their own board.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

Enjoyed Tom Vasel's angry review of Tellstones,which echos my sentiment; if anyone else released it, it would have been ignored.

Also his exasperation of his colleagues saying its deep,you got to understand the lore and its good.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Context posted:

In my experience Spirit Island scales really well for a heavy game with player count since everything can be simultaneous unless it needs to not be (and the Jagged Earth rules for archipelagos mitigates that happening).

That’s assuming everyone has a good grasp of the game and can process the invader actions on their own board.

I find it does in terms of downtime, but it loses what I enjoy most about the game which is the coordinating with the other players. Beyond three (and even that is a stretch) I find the complexity of possible ways of playing your turn just gets too great if you consider every option, especially if you have spirits who can give energy, presence, combine defense etc. As a result I find larger player count games devolve to everyone mostly doing their own thing, or else extend the playtime way beyond what is bearable if they actually try and co-operate more than superficially.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why are you wearing a hat Tom Vasel?

You are inside

Oh ok it's for your brand?

That's really dumb mate

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Fat Samurai posted:

Spirit Island chat: game successful, it's taken 3 and a half hours including explanation. We used Thunderspeaker (me), Vital Strength of the Earth and Shadows Flicker Like Flame (with the Power Aid). I skipped the Adversary, but did add events (I didn't trust myself remembering how to use beasts otherwise) and the healthy island card (one of the players had played once already, and he was asking me about it). Turns were going fast in the end, we won and we're playing again on the weekend.

Thanks for the advice, even if I disregarded some of it.

Glad that it went well and it sounds like everyone had fun. Now to get hype about your weekend game and to worry about how difficult to make the adversary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imo bump up the difficulty by 1 every time you just barely win and by 2 when you wipe the floor and don't stop increasing it until you lose.