Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

PETA is a lazy writers crutch to show a character cares about animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

PETA is a lazy writers crutch to show a character cares about animals.

It'd be cooler if they used ALF instead, but I guess they haven't actually done anything in the last couple decades.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its about time for an unabashedly pro ETA superhero

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

They successfully defeated fascism in Spain.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

I think realistically out of all the ETA students only Ortho "The Darkness" Stice and maybe John NR Wayne have a shot at going pro in The Bigs, but I'm not sure either of them are particularly suited to be superheroes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

I think realistically out of all the ETA students only Ortho "The Darkness" Stice and maybe John NR Wayne have a shot at going pro in The Bigs, but I'm not sure either of them are particularly suited to be superheroes.

Dark Horse is supposedly going to do an Infinite Jest adaption, so who knows!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ortho Stice basically had a supervillain origin story by the end of the book if I'm remembering right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't read Infinite Jest, so I assumed you guys were talking about the Basque separatist group for way too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_(separatist_group)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

to be fair I was originally

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

Ortho Stice basically had a supervillain origin story by the end of the book if I'm remembering right.
The "ghost counseling you through a long dark night of the soul" part is actually pretty superhero/supervillainy, but I had forgotten about the getting part of his face ripped off by leaning against a frozen window too long and probably getting possessed by said ghost portion of the book, which definitely veers into supervillain territory.

Of course John NR Wayne is a sleeper cell terrorist by the end, too.

Infinite Jest Superhero Sequel when, I guess?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Supervillain move to unleash the tape in the first place, no? So that would make the older brother a bad guy, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

to be fair I was originally

Thank god, I thought I was going insane.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Batman in Scotland is very Sottish. And it made me realize that while Frank Quitely is a great artist, his art really works best when it's depicting Scotland and the Scottish people.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So yesterday was apparently the 88th anniversary of Bluto's debut in Thimble Theatre, and while that initial appearance was the only one during E.C. Segar's tenure on the comic it certainly was one hell of a debut, and of course he'd become much more famous as the primary antagonist in Popeye's shorts from Fleischer and Famous Studios(to the point that King Features Syndicate actually forgot that they owned Bluto for a good while and created an expy named Brutus)

Also apparently Jack Kirby did some work for Fleischer at some point including on Popeye and honestly I can definitely see how that might have had an influence on his style

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I read the Beast Boy graphic novel and found it pretty disappointing, in large part because it mostly seems to be the kind of thing I thought we'd left behind in the 90s, with hot jocks and popular girls who are "popular" in spite of having absolutely no likeable traits whatsoever, and a hero who needs to learn that he's just perfect the way he is (that is, a teenager who's drawn to look very attractive, just like all his equally-hot friends) and shouldn't try to change himself, before eventually being drawn off on a hero's journey that he 'has to do by himself' (although I can't actually see why this is necessary) and leaving behind his entire supporting cast.

I am also annoyed because I thought this was a graphic novel but it doesn't even pretend to be a complete story and ends with a lead-up into the next graphic novel in the series, Beast Boy Loves Raven.

But I was primarily confused because it seems to think that supporting PETA is a cool and normal thing that we should be encouraging kids to do. PETA hasn't stopped being absolutely bonkers lately, has it?

Also I feel like I should mention that they use the slogan "animal rights are human rights," which makes me feel less comfortable the more I think about it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

It'd be cooler if they used ALF instead, but I guess they haven't actually done anything in the last couple decades.

Plus, they could get a cool Bill Sinkiewicz cover.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1307509897550991360

The comments go as you'd expect.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Can Hellboy even get Covid?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Why find out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He gets it and it mutates into HELLVID.

But on the upside the anti-maskers all grow horns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/comichron/status/1307768657045581828?s=20

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Fandom Zone is the name of the comic store at the mall the New Mutants go to in New Mutants #2. It's in the panel where you see the Sentinel fall through the wall.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The ALF comic was kinda weird. I remember them doing a full blown parody of Citizen Kane at one point.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'd read the odd Eltingville story here and there starting back in the 90s and after reading what some of y'all were saying about the final issues I went and picked up the Eltingville Club hardcover that collects everything and I just finished it today. God drat, what a great final issue. Dorkin is one of those writers that can make you think he's got just the one tone he does well and then he flips it on you and puts some serious poignancy in those final pages. I'm glad that Jerry got away from the others and found some happiness.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can someone help me figure out which gi joe comics to read? I'm currently on the newest one (from last year) but would like to get into a more classic setting. The problem being I see something like 5 options?

I know one idw series is a continuation of the marvel one, but I also see something called the idw collection?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For older collections the ones Larry Hama wrote for Marvel are supposed to be the gold standard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And he's still writing them to this day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Can someone help me figure out which gi joe comics to read? I'm currently on the newest one (from last year) but would like to get into a more classic setting. The problem being I see something like 5 options?

I know one idw series is a continuation of the marvel one, but I also see something called the idw collection?

Definitely get Cobra: The Last Laugh. If you can, wait until December for the $30 TPB, or be willing to pay around $50 for the out-of-print hardcover now. It is its own continuity, so it doesn't tie into any other comics, cartoons, the two bad movies, or anything else.

Other than that, Larry Hama is the way to go. He is a Japanese-American Vietnam vet, and he wrote almost the entire run of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1-155 for Marvel (along with G.I. Joe: Special Missions #1-28), and then picked back up many years later at IDW with issue #155.5 all the way up to the present at #274. He also wrote almost all the original filecards for the action figures.

I used to own the entire Marvel run as a kid. It starts slow, has a few bright spots, but then gets really good with #21, the famous "Silent Interlude" issue, hits an early high point with #26-27 (the origin of Snake Eyes), and stays solid pretty much through #100. I reread #1-100 a year or two back, I've been slowly reading all the IDW Hama issues over the last year or two, and I recently binge-read #101-155 over the course of a week, when I had a free week of Comixology Unlimited.

To save you money, this is where I recommend the Hoopla service through your local public library, where you can download a certain number of e-books per month with your library card, including a selection of thousands of graphic novels. Hoopla includes:
Volumes 4-10 of the Classic G.I. Joe TPBs from IDW that each reprint ten issues of the Marvel Hama series (so that covers #31-100).
Volumes 1-23 of the more recent G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero TPBs, collecting the IDW Hama material, starting in 2012 with Volume 1 (starting with issue #155.5) all the way up to Volume 23 (ending with #265).

I noted that Comixology Unlimited also features most of the collected Hama material, so even if you get a free month subscription, you can binge-read most of it. I strongly recommend using Hoopla and Comixology Unlimited to make your way through this huge run, or you'll be spending hundreds of dollars on it all.

Not all of Hama's material has aged well, and the current IDW series is kind of repetitive and also dated in its style (especially compared to Cobra: The Last Laugh), and the more recent art isn't that great. But people forget a time during the mid-'80s when the hottest comics out there were Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans, and Hama's G.I. Joe. Seriously. It was insanely popular for a couple of years there. A young, pre-fame Todd McFarlane even drew G.I. Joe #60!

Also, if you also like Transformers, Tom Scioli and John Barber's Transformers vs. G.I. Joe is batshit insane in the best possible way. Scioli draws like Jack Kirby, but the story is straight out of the mad, wild imagination of a 10-year-old kid from 1987. A mashup of cartoon, comic, and toy continuities, it is weird and fun, and I'm selling that run -- three TPBs reprinting #0-13, the Free Comic Book Day #0 issue, and the "Movie Adaptation," an experimental issue that condenses and changes the entire story to fit into a "movie" and then adapts THAT.

I'm also selling G.I. Joe: Sierra Muerte #1-3, a recent miniseries by Copra writer/artist Michel Fiffe. The three issues are signed by him, so if you like Copra, expect that kind of madcap ultraviolence and '80s pastiche.

I obviously love G.I. Joe and consider myself a bit of a fanboy/expert since I've read all these comics relatively recently, so I'll answer any questions and make any recommendations I can.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That's awesome, thanks so much for the info! I'll go through it and get started. What's your opinion (or anyone's) on the newest series? I haven't seen any reviews about it yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

That's awesome, thanks so much for the info! I'll go through it and get started. What's your opinion (or anyone's) on the newest series? I haven't seen any reviews about it yet.

Paul Allor's new book is amazing, the set up being GI Joe is a resistance where Cobra's pretty much won. The last issue to come out focused on PTSD in such an empathetic way I've never seen the like in comics. Allor's been banned by chuds at the HISS Tank forum so I imagine he's doing something right.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Alhazred posted:

The ALF comic was kinda weird. I remember them doing a full blown parody of Citizen Kane at one point.

Yep. Although nothing beats the Antony and Cleopatra parody where we learn that on Melmac, cats were at one point a sentient, upright-walking species.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yep. Although nothing beats the Antony and Cleopatra parody where we learn that on Melmac, cats were at one point a sentient, upright-walking species.

https://twitter.com/yoonogy/status/1308058717691285504?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Alf writer went on to do the first 20ish issues of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic and wrote stuff for it on and off for twenty years

His specialties are making full story references to pop culture touchstones no 90's kid got, awful puns, and casual sexism

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I remember the Alf comic had a Watchmen parody and I assumed Rorschach was a cool variant Gambit costume I'd never seen before and that the other characters, it followed, must be rare and hitherto unencountered X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I knew some thing about big two comics that apparently Kurt Busiek didn't.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1308695434567712768?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

I knew some thing about big two comics that apparently Kurt Busiek didn't.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1308695434567712768?s=20

To be fair Infinity Warps was given a lot less of a push than Amalgam was back in the day, and a much smaller event too

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Amazing seeing people throwing tantrums on DC's instagram account because they made a post encouraging people to vote.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Madkal posted:

Amazing seeing people throwing tantrums on DC's instagram account because they made a post encouraging people to vote.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFfMuTdnsTZ/?igshid=nkhd8modsj6b

Oh my god. Trump's gonna win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm worried too, but people who give a poo poo about DC Comics is an insanely small sample group and the ones who get vocal is an even smaller sample.