Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Does anyone know how picking packages up from the post office works? The jerk postman marked that I requested to pick up my monitor from the PO even though I was in my garage when they drove by and delivered my other mail

Go to the post office during business hours, say you are there to pick up a package, show them your drivers license when they ask for ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That LG 27GL83A-B is in stock again on amazon. I think I'm gonna wait though, I'd probably want to get a new gpu if I upgrade my monitor, and those 3080s are looking pretty scarce.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Blackfyre posted:

Thanks for this I really appreciate any help. I had seen most things are 'gsync compatible' now so assumed it would be best to get one that ticked that box. Interesting to hear about the HDR too - I kinda assumed I would want the option for games but most seemed to just do HDR400 which I heard was bad - I love HDR on my TV both my older Sony and my new OLED (especially the OLED) I was tempted to look into another OLED as a monitor but that tech didnt feel like the best fit for a daily monitor and I felt like a 16:9 48" was a bit *too* large for the distance I sit from my desk. It will be a well lit room with a large desk but I think it was slightly on the large side - my thoughts were UW were more long than high etc.

I play quite a lot of games from CS:GO to WoW as old staples but my normal go to is RPGs and Immersive Sims so I think the thought of having a more immersive experience was appealing but the downsides of an ultrawide as my main monitor are interesting somethings like UI placement I hadn't thought about. The larger size might be good for work that I mainly do at home recently though with more screen estate. The Odyssey G9 did a lot on paper for me (was a little concerned about the demands of the res even on a 3080 but still) but just seemed a bit *too* large again, wasn't sure how much the curvature offset that. After doing a bit of looking around 1440P etc is still recommended and I didn't know if there were any screens that were consistently rec'd. I did have a look at the G7 as an option as it seemed to have good reviews but I wasn't sure of the steep curve for its size and kinda wanted something a bit bigger than 27" if it was worth it - but 32" with 1440P felt like it was maybe too low PPI? Would it possibly be more worthwhile to get a couple of monitors then rather than one ultrawide? Is there any ultrawide that is generally regarded as being one of the best for the cost?

All ultrawides come in around the same (awful) value. Personally I am a firm believer that you always need at least two monitors, but some people are happy with one. That said, the G9 is wide enough that it's actually viable to use it as two monitors for desktop use, although not for games. Aside from CSGO which you'd have to play pillarboxed 16:9, the G9 may be a decent option for you, as long as you don't mind spending the absurd amount of money and locking yourself into higher end GPUs than you might otherwise buy. Immersive games are definitely the strong suit of ultrawide. OTOH it really is so absurdly expensive that I personally would REALLY try to find a way to just use an OLED TV over it because it's well into pure luxury money and OLED is so much better, not to mention consistently available and actually cheaper. The G7 comes in both 27" and 32", I would definitely prefer 27" at 1440p. A 1000R curve is indeed nuts, 1800R to me feels like borderline excessive at 34" 21:9. I think you'd have to sit in front of one to see if it's tolerable to you, or you'd rather take the (small) hit in performance and get a flat IPS monitor. The most consistently recommended high refresh 1440p monitor is the LG 27GL83A, but it has quite poor black levels by modern standards. It is a lot cheaper than any of the Odyssey monitors, though, and most people aren't picky enough about contrast to care. It'd be hard to say for you - it'd definitely be noticeable compared to an OLED TV, but then again all LCDs do so... it's a matter of what you personally find acceptable for what price.

If your room is particularly well lit you may have brightness issues with certain monitors. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying from anywhere that doesn't have good return policies. With your budget flexibility and general goals there just isn't a clear answer to give you on what to buy. You're probably going to need to experience a thing or two to find what will make you happy. Your other option would be to wait another ~4 months and see what gets announced for 2021, or buy something cheaper/more mainstream that won't lose a lot of value and sit on that until something you prefer a little more comes along.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

That LG 27GL83A-B is in stock again on amazon. I think I'm gonna wait though, I'd probably want to get a new gpu if I upgrade my monitor, and those 3080s are looking pretty scarce.

If you are definitely buying a new GPU this year I would say now is a good time to buy a monitor. Last year they sold out really fast once the holiday season hit, and this year will probably be worse. OTOH if you're not in a rush to buy a new GPU one could argue that you should wait for the next round of products to hit.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Does anyone know how picking packages up from the post office works? The jerk postman marked that I requested to pick up my monitor from the PO even though I was in my garage when they drove by and delivered my other mail

My personal experience is that it doesn't work. The post office sucks loving dick to pick up from, it's not like UPS/Fedex where if you tell them to hold a package they will. There's like an 80% chance that they'll tell you they're holding it for you but they actually send it out for delivery again and you wasted your time.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 20, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

K8.0 posted:

If you are definitely buying a new GPU this year I would say now is a good time to buy a monitor. Last year they sold out really fast once the holiday season hit, and this year will probably be worse. OTOH if you're not in a rush to buy a new GPU one could argue that you should wait for the next round of products to hit.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards not buying anything right now, and just upgrading both monitor and gpu sometime next year. I have a 1070 right now, but I'm still on my dell U2312HM (so 1080p), and games still look pretty good.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I would probably recommend you get the monitor while you can, it's selling like hot cakes precisely because of those new Ampere and Big Navi cards. People want a new display to take advantage of a new generation of video cards.

It just feels like there's an inflection point where a large number of people are making the transition from 1080p to 1440p more than at any other point before.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It just feels like there's an inflection point where a large number of people are making the transition from 1080p to 1440p more than at any other point before.

That’s basically what I’m doing lol

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just ordered an LG27GL850-B because Overclockers had it in stock and I want to hand-down my current VA screen. I've got a 3080 on pre-order that I'm expecting (or Ishouldsay, hoping feverently) to arrive by November at the latest, and I'm planning to... monitor, ugh... the situation with the view to moving to a 4k screen in the next 6-12 months, depending on what comes out and/or civilisation not ending. I'll then keep this one as a 2nd display.

The one I've ordered looks essentially like the same monitor as the one in the post I quoted, what's the difference? Is the one I've ordered better, worse, or is it just a weird naming thing like what ACER do? If it's just a USB slot, then what benefit does having that in my gaming PC monitor give me, that I wouldn't have without it?

And to be a huge pain in the arse; any chance the almost half-a-decade-old OP could get updated? Or even a whole thread refresh - with the 30-series GPU release and the advancements in monitor tech and affordability that those will drive in the near-to-mid future, now would be as good a time as any. Seems like this is one of the last industry topics you'd want to have info that old still being disseminated, given how fast everything changes in tech, and I'm sure that the question I've just asked has probably been answered a bunch of times already but I wouldn't know whether to look back five pages, fifteen, or thirty to find the answer. If I'd have gone by the OP I'd be ordering a Dell U2711 or a HP ZR2740W right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cactus posted:

Just ordered an LG27GL850-B

Is the one I've ordered better, worse, or is it just a weird naming thing like what ACER do? If it's just a USB slot, then what benefit does having that in my gaming PC monitor give me, that I wouldn't have without it?

It's the same screen as the cheaper one, but the 850 comes with:
1. The USB hub,
2. A different default color profile (which can be changed/mimicked on the 83A),
3. A much more substantive AC adapter, which is more than likely there to power the USB ports.

And to answer your other question...nothing. It's a simple two-port powered USB hub. Straight up :toot: city.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 21, 2020

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Based on this thread + RTings, I ended up getting the LG 27GL83A-B for gaming and the LG 27UK650-W for general usage. Spent a long time considering the Samsung G7, but 32" seems like it might be too big, I wasn't sold on the curve, and it's $400 more than what I got, so I think I made the right choice. Now I have to somehow get my hands on a 3080....

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm looking for a 1080p 240hz IPS with g/freesync monitor under 25 inches. A quick search found me only one close match, an MSI Optix MAG251RX. There are no reviews of it on rtings or tftcentral.

Am I asking for too much? I want to make a leap to a better monitor without sacrificing space.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's the same screen as the cheaper one, but the 850 comes with:
1. The USB hub,
2. A different default color profile (which can be changed/mimicked on the 83A),
3. A much more substantive AC adapter, which is more than likely there to power the USB ports.

And to answer your other question...nothing. It's a simple two-port powered USB hub. Straight up :toot: city.

Welp, you can never have too many powered usb ports so :toot: indeed!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Gotta say after posting I'm rethinking my setup plans based on the replies and picking up 2 27's instead.... I still think I'd *like* a bigger screen but can't see a 4K screen that seems to be what I want and I feel the 32 G7 is too big for the 1440p. I was tempted by the 27 G7 but the extreme curve puts me off.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I'm going to upgrade my graphics card at some point (maybe waiting for 20gb 3080), would my old 660ti be able to handle a 1440p high refresh rate monitor in the meantime?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It should be able to display 1440p144 just fine via displayport

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

K8.0 posted:

My personal experience is that it doesn't work. The post office sucks loving dick to pick up from, it's not like UPS/Fedex where if you tell them to hold a package they will. There's like an 80% chance that they'll tell you they're holding it for you but they actually send it out for delivery again and you wasted your time.

this is exactly what happened

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I voiced a concern about this kind of thing a few days ago.

Looking at the driver, it looks like it might have actually added official support for your monitor, which I could see ironically resetting your G-sync settings.

https://wccftech.com/game-ready-driver-456-38-out-game-optimizations-new-geforce-experience-features-more/

Assuming Windows 10 then there is also the multiple places to check display settings: the Settings app, the Control Panel, the Nvidia control panel, and Device Manager.

I recently had an issue where everything looked fine but I couldn't run above 60hz, and finally found that in Device Manager my monitor was being identified with the wrong specs even though it showed correct in every other place.

After doing some testing, it was only modern warfare that was having the issue and it was fixed by putting the game into fullscreen borderless mode. It might be something goofy going on with the game itself but everything else is working fine.

It might be something with the new gsync model that is similar to mine, but the specs on that VG27AQ1A is 170hz and hdr 400, which is more than the VG27AQ's no HDR and 165Hz. Not sure how that can affect anything but computers are weird and there is no rhyme or reason to it most of the time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looking for a monitor recommendation for my buddy. Relevant points:

1). Currently interested in 4k
2). Currently has a 2070 with no plans to upgrade anytime soon
3). Monitor will be for both work and gaming (via input switching)
4). Based on looking at my 4k monitor, he agrees with me that 27" is a bit of an eye chart and he's probably interested in 32" (though maybe there is another better standard size?)
5). No specific budget, but he's looking to keep the spend low enough that his wife doesn't get riled up about it. I think the real target is a good value/price inflection. If I had to guess, I'd say less than $500.
6). Freesync/Gsync would be nice to have if there's a quality 4k monitor at the proper size in the price range

I think that's everything that would be important for starting with, but if I forgot something please let me know!

zhar
May 3, 2019

Looking at the recommendations from the last few pages, I can get a VX2758-2KP-MHD for £333 or 27GL850-B for £440, or a B grade 27GL850-B for £390

The viewsonic is better value at these prices right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e woops!

Monitor content:

has anyone gotten a 27GN950 in the thread yet? would be cool to hear if DSC is noticeable and if the price is worth it. considering getting it as a second monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

zhar posted:

Looking at the recommendations from the last few pages, I can get a VX2758-2KP-MHD for £333 or 27GL850-B for £440, or a B grade 27GL850-B for £390

The viewsonic is better value at these prices right?

Yes. For 25% off I would absolutely take the performance hit, especially given that it's not all downsides and you do get better contrast.

Zarin posted:

Looking for a monitor recommendation for my buddy. Relevant points:

1). Currently interested in 4k
2). Currently has a 2070 with no plans to upgrade anytime soon
3). Monitor will be for both work and gaming (via input switching)
4). Based on looking at my 4k monitor, he agrees with me that 27" is a bit of an eye chart and he's probably interested in 32" (though maybe there is another better standard size?)
5). No specific budget, but he's looking to keep the spend low enough that his wife doesn't get riled up about it. I think the real target is a good value/price inflection. If I had to guess, I'd say less than $500.
6). Freesync/Gsync would be nice to have if there's a quality 4k monitor at the proper size in the price range

I think that's everything that would be important for starting with, but if I forgot something please let me know!

What games does he play? 4k is a murderous resolution for gaming and basically commits you to buying a $800 GPU every couple years if you want to play newish games at reasonable settings and framerates. Also, there are no good 4k gaming monitors yet, and when they come out they will probably be in the $1k range. OTOH if all he plays is like Civ and CK3, 4k is definitely a good way to go. For more typical gaming use, he would get far more out of a 1440p 144hz monitor than any 4k monitor.

As far as 4k60 monitors go, you can get them for well under $500, although they're mostly 27" because that's the panel size the industry is standardizing on. There are some good 32" options though. Just search 4k ips on Amazon, tons of results. They're very commoditized products, anything with decent reviews is going to be good for work/desktop use.

27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors for ~$350-380ish and 27-32" 4k 60hz monitors in the $300-500 range are definitely the value sweet spots right now if you want something better than 1080p 60.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

K8.0 posted:

What games does he play? 4k is a murderous resolution for gaming and basically commits you to buying a $800 GPU every couple years if you want to play newish games at reasonable settings and framerates. Also, there are no good 4k gaming monitors yet, and when they come out they will probably be in the $1k range. OTOH if all he plays is like Civ and CK3, 4k is definitely a good way to go. For more typical gaming use, he would get far more out of a 1440p 144hz monitor than any 4k monitor.

As far as 4k60 monitors go, you can get them for well under $500, although they're mostly 27" because that's the panel size the industry is standardizing on. There are some good 32" options though. Just search 4k ips on Amazon, tons of results. They're very commoditized products, anything with decent reviews is going to be good for work/desktop use.

27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors for ~$350-380ish and 27-32" 4k 60hz monitors in the $300-500 range are definitely the value sweet spots right now if you want something better than 1080p 60.

Alright, sounds like it'll be a trade-off between having all that screen real estate for work stuff, at the cost of FPS. I guess we were thinking that maybe Freesync could help straddle the gap between the two, but maybe not!

Currently he mostly plays some MMOs (FFXIV, WoW) and maybe a bit of Factorio. However, he is most likely going to get Cyberpunk 2077. He also has some other monitors that could probably work for visually demanding games if he can't get an acceptable FPS on either the 4k or the 3440x1440 Ultrawide he's also using.

Question for the thread, I guess: since a 4k monitor is 16:9, can you increase FPS by dropping the resolution in-game from 4k to 1440p or 1080p? Or does that not work because you're pushing the same number of pixels around anyway?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I want to buy a RTX 3080 but it seems like it'll be impossible for a while so I decided to do the reverse of what I wanted to do which was buy the GPU and upgrade my monitor later... I'm rocking Dell from 2013, they were pretty good back then, the go to model but I want more than 60hz now.

I'm very sensitive to lower FPS so I don't want to go to 4k 60fps barely so I'm thinking of going 2k at 144hz.

So obviously I did some research and also checked here... and of course I landed on loving LG 27GL83A-B which has no stock in Canada. Amazon says ship in 1-2 month it seems like you'll get charged full price right away and not when they ship it.

Why is it out of stock that badly too? Is it close to being phased out or something? The model that says NANO and USB hub is 200$Cnd more (in stock) but doesn't look worth it at all.

Do you guys think it's a mistake not going for 4k 60hz (or wait for the new 4k with higher refresh rates) with a RTX 3080? I want a performance and quality jump but not sacrifice too much performance. I don't want to go PC master race or anything but I can't stand consoles with 30fps as I notice right away when it's struggling to get that 30fps. I notice immediately when I game on my PC and it goes from 60 to 50 so I'm a bit iffy on 4k.

Are we close to have another go to model like LG 27GL83A-B? Are we on the cusp of new generations of monitors too?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hemish posted:

I want to buy a RTX 3080 but it seems like it'll be impossible for a while so I decided to do the reverse of what I wanted to do which was buy the GPU and upgrade my monitor later... I'm rocking Dell from 2013, they were pretty good back then, the go to model but I want more than 60hz now.

I'm very sensitive to lower FPS so I don't want to go to 4k 60fps barely so I'm thinking of going 2k at 144hz.

So obviously I did some research and also checked here... and of course I landed on loving LG 27GL83A-B which has no stock in Canada. Amazon says ship in 1-2 month it seems like you'll get charged full price right away and not when they ship it.

Why is it out of stock that badly too? Is it close to being phased out or something? The model that says NANO and USB hub is 200$Cnd more (in stock) but doesn't look worth it at all.

Do you guys think it's a mistake not going for 4k 60hz (or wait for the new 4k with higher refresh rates) with a RTX 3080? I want a performance and quality jump but not sacrifice too much performance. I don't want to go PC master race or anything but I can't stand consoles with 30fps as I notice right away when it's struggling to get that 30fps. I notice immediately when I game on my PC and it goes from 60 to 50 so I'm a bit iffy on 4k.

Are we close to have another go to model like LG 27GL83A-B? Are we on the cusp of new generations of monitors too?

Monitor availability has been spotty all year because of the increased demand from people working from home. That's going to be the primary thing impacting supply, as far as I know.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
right now i have two cheap, ten year old 1080 benq monitors. i bought a 27GL83A-B which is being shipped to me right now for gaming, but eventually i'm going to need to replace the other one. am i right to assume that general purpose 1440p 60hz monitors that arent going to be used for games (though maybe movies) are going to be a lot cheaper than the 27" LG? is there something specific i should be looking at in that case

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

My understanding is that the 27GL850 IS the 'next gen' of monitors in that it's providing an excellent screen with good features at a low price point. It is hard to get because it's an amazing monitor that's selling like hot cakes.
It's a relatively new model (less than a year old) so there's no point waiting for a next gen thing, it's like waiting for a 4080 when people can't even get the newly released 3080 right now. You might have to just wait or try to shop around.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My understanding is that the 27GL850 IS the 'next gen' of monitors in that it's providing an excellent screen with good features at a low price point. It is hard to get because it's an amazing monitor that's selling like hot cakes.
It's a relatively new model (less than a year old) so there's no point waiting for a next gen thing, it's like waiting for a 4080 when people can't even get the newly released 3080 right now. You might have to just wait or try to shop around.

The 27GL850 is 700$Cnd which is nowhere near "low price point". It's the one with the usb hub and NANO panel (whatever that is) and it's also in stock. LG 27GL83A-B seems to be one notch below the 850 at 500$Cnd but with major stock problems. Even then, 500$ is considered a low price point? It feels like a price out of reach of pretty much anyone beside gamers?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Public Service Announcement. This is the last day of the CostCo sale for the LG 38GN950-B:

https://www.costco.com/lg-ultragear-38%22-class-ultrawide-wqhd-curved-ips-g-sync-compatible-gaming-monitor.product.100671950.html

I ordered mine on Sunday and it shipped Monday

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Numinous posted:

Public Service Announcement. This is the last day of the CostCo sale for the LG 38GN950-B:

https://www.costco.com/lg-ultragear-38%22-class-ultrawide-wqhd-curved-ips-g-sync-compatible-gaming-monitor.product.100671950.html

I ordered mine on Sunday and it shipped Monday

Received mine on Friday and it has been great so far. Current video card can't really do it justice, but otherwise I've been pretty happy. Only complaints so far is I haven't found a way to turn the fancy light on the back off for good, and when I turn the refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 120 hz text in some places in Windows starts to look weird. Doesn't happen in games at higher refresh. Very much seems like a Windows thing. [edit: I should say that this happens in two different monitors, since the wife got one as well and we both see the issue. Almost certainly a weird Windows thing. Monitor is fine.]

good at 75 hz

bad at 120 hz

good at 75 hz

bad at 120 hz

Happens when using the included DisplayPort cable as well. 980ti on the latest driver.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

when I turn the refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 120 hz text in some places in Windows starts to look weird.

How does it look at 144hz? Also, not sure if it matters, but have you tried changing the refresh rate from the Windows menu instead of the NVidia one?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Hemish posted:

The 27GL850 is 700$Cnd which is nowhere near "low price point". It's the one with the usb hub and NANO panel (whatever that is) and it's also in stock. LG 27GL83A-B seems to be one notch below the 850 at 500$Cnd but with major stock problems. Even then, 500$ is considered a low price point? It feels like a price out of reach of pretty much anyone beside gamers?

I'm in Canada as well. The 83A comes in stock commonly enough that if you're patient you'll get one in a couple weeks if you keep an eye out. I only waited a few days.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm in Canada as well. The 83A comes in stock commonly enough that if you're patient you'll get one in a couple weeks if you keep an eye out. I only waited a few days.

Do you have a few outlets in mind beside Amazon? I can't even find it on the other ones I know about. I'd feel better if I had one more than one source to look at.

Nobody answered from my previous comment because it was probably too long.

Am I wrong in going for a 2k 144hz monitor with the RTX 3080 (when I can get one in the next months) and not targetting 4k 60hz (or waiting for higher refresh rates panels at 4k)? My feelings are that it's a nice jump in quality and also being able to reach a nice refresh rate. I don't feel like sacrificing FPS to get a high quality 4k settings.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hemish posted:

Do you have a few outlets in mind beside Amazon? I can't even find it on the other ones I know about. I'd feel better if I had one more than one source to look at.

Nobody answered from my previous comment because it was probably too long.

Am I wrong in going for a 2k 144hz monitor with the RTX 3080 (when I can get one in the next months) and not targetting 4k 60hz (or waiting for higher refresh rates panels at 4k)? My feelings are that it's a nice jump in quality and also being able to reach a nice refresh rate. I don't feel like sacrificing FPS to get a high quality 4k settings.

I feel like it really depends on what is important to ya' - and what kind of games you're playing.

Staying at 2k 144 will allow you to have a prettier visual at 144fps than, say, trying to push 1440px144 (if that's even a thing). 4k will get you a lot of pixels but I suspect you'll still be needing to leave a lot of the shinier options on the table for FPS (and even then, if you're primarily interested in FPS, you won't get what you could from 2k).

But in my opinion the short answer is "no": there's nothing wrong with targeting a higher-quality monitor in the 144hz bracket if you value that over the extra screen real-estate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inept posted:

How does it look at 144hz? Also, not sure if it matters, but have you tried changing the refresh rate from the Windows menu instead of the NVidia one?

Thanks for the attempt at troubleshooting. It still does the same thing when changed in Windows. 144hz doesn't show as an option, only 120hz. Monitor driver is still "generic monitor driver" in Windows, but I don't think that needs to be anything different. Couldn't find specific monitor drivers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the attempt at troubleshooting. It still does the same thing when changed in Windows. 144hz doesn't show as an option, only 120hz. Monitor driver is still "generic monitor driver" in Windows, but I don't think that needs to be anything different. Couldn't find specific monitor drivers.

are your video card drivers up to date?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

are your video card drivers up to date?

Yes, running 456.38 with release date 9/17/2020, on both computers.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Hemish posted:

I got mine from Amazon. I would maybe watch on Memory Express, but I honestly wouldn't trust any of the retailers in Canada with a refund/return if something was wrong. Nothing but bad experiences with places like Canada Computers.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Yes, running 456.38 with release date 9/17/2020, on both computers.

Note that I'm a gigantic dumbass so these are probably dumb questions:
1). Is it possible that the 980Ti can't shove out enough data to run the 120hz cleanly (and/or make it fully to 144?)
2). Is it possible the cable isn't good enough? (I want to say I remember a long time ago in this thread, people were saying that the 120hz Alienware monitor came with a cable that was kinda iffy and didn't have the bandwidth to carry the full 120hz signal)

Just thinking out loud here, since I was passing thru

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zarin posted:

I feel like it really depends on what is important to ya' - and what kind of games you're playing.

Staying at 2k 144 will allow you to have a prettier visual at 144fps than, say, trying to push 1440px144 (if that's even a thing). 4k will get you a lot of pixels but I suspect you'll still be needing to leave a lot of the shinier options on the table for FPS (and even then, if you're primarily interested in FPS, you won't get what you could from 2k).

But in my opinion the short answer is "no": there's nothing wrong with targeting a higher-quality monitor in the 144hz bracket if you value that over the extra screen real-estate.

1440p at 144hz must be a thing because that's what the LG 27GL83A-B does. 1440p is 2k (2560x1440) and 2160p is 4k (usually 3840x2160). Maybe I should have said 2k QHD?

No wonder the average consumers get all confused. Computers are both my work and major hobby and while I didn't keep up with monitors in a while, it must be daunting when you start from scratch and don't know much about computers from the get go.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hemish posted:

1440p at 144hz must be a thing because that's what the LG 27GL83A-B does. 1440p is 2k (2560x1440) and 2160p is 4k (usually 3840x2160). Maybe I should have said 2k QHD?

No wonder the average consumers get all confused. Computers are both my work and major hobby and while I didn't keep up with monitors in a while, it must be daunting when you start from scratch and don't know much about computers from the get go.

Oh, okay!

For some reason I thought 1080p was retconned to be called 2k and 1440p was a step in-between somewhere.

Yeah, I thought I knew stuff about things too. At least, people ask me questions all the time about it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That does sound like a lovely cable, or like you used the one that came with your old monitor that doesn't have enough bandwidth because you went HDMI is HDMI.