Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tell me you aren't legally obligated to answer that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Tias posted:

Yeah I mean if you want to starve to death even faster sure.
Australia's welfare system is absolutely hosed, the hatred this country has for the unemployed (even as economies tank) is stunning.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

cohsae posted:

Yeah I mean if you want to starve to death even faster sure.
Australia's welfare system is absolutely hosed, the hatred this country has for the unemployed (even as economies tank) is stunning.

i've filled out a lot of state assistance paperwork for myself and others in the US and nothing got even as close to as invasive as that, i'm blown away honestly lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Getting unemployment in Australia is becoming more and more of a joke.

https://twitter.com/DavidSligar/status/1308017544641441793

this is the logical end of means testing

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

seriously tho that and the replies that people got rejected for sharing a meal with an ex wife during a divorce etc just what the gently caress

what the gently caress, some real nazi poo poo

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antonymous posted:

seriously tho that and the replies that people got rejected for sharing a meal with an ex wife during a divorce etc just what the gently caress

what the gently caress, some real nazi poo poo

Australia: some real nazi poo poo.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tias posted:

Isn't it basically the same here? You have to fill out similar forms and provide like 50+ pages or more of documentation.

There's like municipal secret surveillance corps where they determine if borrowing your ex's car is grounds for indicting you for benefits fraud.

Meanwhile, the state's favoured bank being involved in the largest money laundering scandal in human history and billionaires using the tax refund system as a personal ATM sails past unnoticed for years.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 11:03 on Sep 22, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Mods change my name to "Uber, but for evicting people"

Uber, but for getting guillotined.

Bhead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Aussie method of backstabbing every Prime Minister for not being enough of a functioning psychopath then voting for the backstabber somehow doesn't work that well.

The next guy lining up to stab some back is extra fascist, too.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Aussie method of backstabbing every Prime Minister for not being enough of a functioning psychopath then voting for the backstabber somehow doesn't work that well.

The next guy lining up to stab some back is extra fascist, too.

I think I saw a futurama episode about this once

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SplitSoul posted:

Isn't it basically the same here? You have to fill out similar forms and provide like 50+ pages or more of documentation.

There's like municipal secret surveillance corps where they determine if borrowing your ex's car is grounds for indicting you for benefits fraud.

Meanwhile, the state's favoured bank being involved in the largest money laundering scandal in human history and billionaires using the tax refund system as a personal ATM sails past unnoticed for years.

Being outed happens in Denmark, yes, but is more the result of the petitioner being really sloppy about outing their finances, the surveillance is more or less volunteer based( by which I mean jealous citizens narcing on recipients and the odd sagsbehandler deciding to snoop on clients on their off time) - but you don't have to answer if you have sex or with whom, no.

E: which is not to say our welfare system isn't a kafkaesque nazi mess, it most certainly is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tias posted:

Being outed happens in Denmark, yes, but is more the result of the petitioner being really sloppy about outing their finances, the surveillance is more or less volunteer based( by which I mean jealous citizens narcing on recipients and the odd sagsbehandler deciding to snoop on clients on their off time) - but you don't have to answer if you have sex or with whom, no.

E: which is not to say our welfare system isn't a kafkaesque nazi mess, it most certainly is.

They have full access to your bank account. And depending on the municipality there most certainly are teams conducting surveillance both physical and online and determining a reicipient's fate based on ridiculous interpretations of minutiae. Living with someone who isn't your spouse (in which case different means testing would apply) also requires documenting relationship status, just not as extreme as "Describe your toilet habits". Yet.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
How could any of this possibly be more efficient than just paying people a flat rate regardless of living situation?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NightGyr posted:

How could any of this possibly be more efficient than just paying people a flat rate regardless of living situation?

The cruelty is the point.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

If something like this would be here in poland then with our stupid homophobic government I would be fined because I live with my girlfriend while being unemployed, thankfully I was not able to fill for unemployment because I have to do it in my family town that I will never return to again because toxic family. At least I am going to sign job papers next month so finally I will have health insurance

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I wouldn't say unnoticed but rather encouraged

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

Getting unemployment in Australia is becoming more and more of a joke.

https://twitter.com/DavidSligar/status/1308017544641441793

This is horrific just on the surface, but it's also a 'death by a hundred cuts' thing, too.

Have your own laundry? Cut benefit by $10 a week because you're not having to go to a laundromat.

Share a house? Cut benefit by $15 a week because you can huddle together for body heat during the winter rather than use a heater.

Have to share a bathroom? Cut benefit by $20 a week because you can share toiletries with your housemate.

Having sex with someone? Cut rate by $80 a week because they can buy your food and pay your utilities.

Australia: Evil on every level.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

Here in the US I fill out some basic address information, give them a bank account, and attest under penalty of law that I am out of work. That's literally it. Might be different in other states, but here it's a 20 minute process on a website.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another horrific and similar thing right-wing governments around the world love to do these days is brag about how they're so civilized and tolerant because they accept gay refugees from uncivilized places where they kill you for being gay, but then when gay refugees actually show up to claim asylum they're like "lol no not unless you prove you're gay by presenting notarized documentation of all the gay sex you must have had, PS if you dont produce those documents we'll deport you back to your home country where being gay is a capital crime and you're now on record as a gay person"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NightGyr posted:

why are you assuming they are trying to be efficient?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:prepop:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

reminds me of

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Delthalaz posted:

reminds me of
The nazi crest? portrait? whatever is taken directly from a wolf3d wall texture

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Delthalaz posted:

reminds me of

yes, the Nazi eagle is literally a sprite from Wolf3D

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes, the Nazi eagle is literally a sprite from Wolf3D

I thought it was from Indiana Jones

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oscar Wild posted:

I thought it was from Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones didn't invent the idea of nazis.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Gripweed posted:

are you telling me my history books lied?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gripweed posted:

Of course not George Lucas did

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't know where else to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArKMkYkJok

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Organic Lube User posted:

Uber, but for getting guillotined.

Bhead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/coolp1np/status/1308420073984610310?s=19

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/AishaThinker/status/1308387076614877184

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a rising tide lifts all boats

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what is wrong with your brain!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1308440491294326784?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1308418930374053896