Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Klaaz posted:

Yeah i figure that but there are some crazy people out there analyzing every single object in his scenes and considering them important pieces of a bigger puzzle that has to be solved to truly understand the movie

In general, people who engage with every piece of media, literature or art as if it's a puzzle to be dechipered are awful and I'm not sure if they're just individually really dim or had awful English teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I didn't see those indie movies, I only like corporate movies.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gripweed posted:

yeah that was a weird period where terrible indie movies like Napoleon Dynamite, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, etc. made it big. People complain about Marvel movies but at least they stopped that poo poo.

There was definitely a scramble to pick up indie movies at the time. At least, indie movies that had at least one recognizable cast member.

I'll add my agreement to wondering why anyone liked Napoleon Dynamite. I can understand almost any other movies listed, but I saw that movie, and realized there are only 3-4 funny moments in the movie, and the rest is just either sad or obnoxious.

Unsurprisingly, one of those best moments involves Diedrich Bader.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked Juno a lot, but I was 15 and have had no desire to revisit it.

Same. It's one of those movies I really enjoyed in my early 20's, but I'd rather spend the time to watch a new movie instead. Wouldn't mind seeing it again, but out of the movies mentioned, it's the only one.

I hold it higher on the list than Little Miss Sunshine because it at least had a certain amount of personal drama I liked. Little Miss Sunshine tried to hit certain "indie" notes intentionally way more.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate spice mixes. i need to cook in my mother's kitchen and it's nothing but "mexican spices" "provencal herb mix" "italian mix" etc. i want to know what im putting in my food, just have a little jar for each separate spice and use what you need, most of these look ancient too so theyre not getting used because theyre too specific and weird and theres tons of them

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

i hate spice mixes. i need to cook in my mother's kitchen and it's nothing but "mexican spices" "provencal herb mix" "italian mix" etc. i want to know what im putting in my food
Maybe it's different where you live, but here they all have the specific ingredients listed on the label. If there's some you frequently use together it's just convenient to have them in the same container. You can still have separate containers of them for when you want to use them separately or in different quantities.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Maybe it's different where you live, but here they all have the specific ingredients listed on the label. If there's some you frequently use together it's just convenient to have them in the same container. You can still have separate containers of them for when you want to use them separately or in different quantities.

I’ve got to assume listing the ingredients is mandated by law wherever they’re posting from unless it’s like, the DRC

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
While we're on the subject of overrated movies, In Bruges and Training Day were a chore to watch.

Gripweed posted:

It's loving baffling that Napoleon Dynamite was popular at all.

I never saw it, but every quasi-meme/catchphrase that came from it decreased my desire to see it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont remember a single thing about napoleon dynamite

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought it was pretty funny

It's very much targeted at small town / lower middle class people

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

I thought it was pretty funny

It's very much targeted at small town / lower middle class people

Yeah I felt like I was that target and didn’t feel insulted so

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like I can't really make a sound judgement on Napolean Dynamite because, while I didn't like it when I saw it, a huge amount of that was from the jokes being absolutely run into the ground before I got to see it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I liked Napoleon Dynamite at the time but I rewatched it a couple years ago and man it is aggressively bad now. I wonder if it was just the brand of humor being novel at the time or whether my being a college kid made it funny by virtue of how dumb college kids are.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

I liked Napoleon Dynamite at the time but I rewatched it a couple years ago and man it is aggressively bad now. I wonder if it was just the brand of humor being novel at the time or whether my being a college kid made it funny by virtue of how dumb college kids are.

well that would make sense because your mom goes to college hohohohohohoho

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

caning is a good punishment, as long as it is reserved for only very specific crimes that are easily provable

littering? caning
playing loud music on a portable bluetooth speaker? caning
not wearing a mask? caning
talking with your mouth full? caning

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

id also rather be caned than sent to jail. get rid of jails. cane litterers until they stop littering.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody has ever posted "let people enjoy things" without being real mad about dumb poo poo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Let people enjoy public caning

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

id also rather be caned than sent to jail. get rid of jails. cane litterers until they stop littering.

I would also like a stern lady cop to be redden my behind if I've been a bad boy, and believe that this should be made public policy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I would also like a stern lady cop to be redden my behind if I've been a bad boy, and believe that this should be made public policy.

Please make the town watch the stern, uniformed woman redden my behind when I have been naughty.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Pizza with pepperoni sliced thickly enough that it cups when cooked is disgusting.

Regular pepperoni is fine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mediterranean climate is wildly overrated. The best climate is found around Ottawa and Montréal

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doesn't Montreal have tunnels around the city because you would literally die from walking around outside in the winter?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but that's only because of the drivers, not the weather.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

doesn't Montreal have tunnels around the city because you would literally die from walking around outside in the winter?

sounds like goon paradise tbh

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Pizza with pepperoni sliced thickly enough that it cups when cooked is disgusting.

Regular pepperoni is fine.

But the little cups form into goblets in order to hold the grease!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

hawowanlawow posted:

A quick internet tells me their winter is commonly around -15, with -20 happening every now and then, so if it has tunnels that's not why.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It definitely has tunnels, I've been down there. "Tunnels" is kinda a sketchy sounding word though, think more like indoor shopping areas and such but below ground level. It's not like the Paris catacombs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Disappointing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a few spots that are just very long tunnels but it's primarily a series of underground malls connected together, plus a few office buildings, hotels, and public buildings like the arena, conference centers and performing arts centers.

It can make some travel quicker, but it's very much primarily a commercial thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

nobody has ever posted "let people enjoy things" without being real mad about dumb poo poo

Similarly 95% of the time when someone trys to use "we live in a society" as a snarky comeback, it's to deflect from them accurately being called out as hypocrites.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's actually nothing inherently wrong about hypocrisy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Part of the appeal of .pdfs is that no one wants to read them. You can boilerplate some real garbage or meet requirements by providing a link to one and rest assured that most won't and some can't even open them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's fine to like HP Lovecraft's stories and ideas and insanely verbose writing while also acknowledging how awful he was.

Me and my best friend buried a page of Herbert West signed by us at his Swan Point grave a few years ago and I have no regrets.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Captain Monkey posted:

Please make the town watch the stern, uniformed woman redden my behind when I have been naughty.

You know that if any cop is going to volunteer for caning duty, it’s going to be a fat, bald, white man who’ll barely even hit you unless you’re black. Then, he’ll confuse his handgun and his cane and murder you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's fine to like HP Lovecraft's stories and ideas and insanely verbose writing while also acknowledging how awful he was.

Me and my best friend buried a page of Herbert West signed by us at his Swan Point grave a few years ago and I have no regrets.

It's also fine to like Bowie songs despite the fact he drugged & hosed 14 year olds. Death of the author?

doverhog has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Sep 24, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

It's also fine to like Bowie songs despite the fact he drugged & hosed 14 year olds. Death of the author.

Eh, Lovecraft was lovely in his writing, but never did anything and was laughed at and called out on by his peers before he died, and only became popular after he was dead and his closest associates were explaining "yeah this motherfucker had issues"

Bowie did it at the height of his fame, and ya know, actually did it and celebrated it, and was celebrated at the time and after he died.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Sep 24, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i just think he's really boring. there was a brief moment in academia where some people tried to push him as a serious author and his worst crime is just that he's really dull and not at all scary

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

i just think he's really boring. there was a brief moment in academia where some people tried to push him as a serious author and his worst crime is just that he's really dull and not at all scary

Instead of writing narrative fiction, Lovecraft could and should have written a Monster Manual for a tabletop RPG and he would still be held in the same esteem by nerds and would have had less opportunity for his gross ideology to infect his work. It's not like any adaptations of his work have been particularly faithful either. It should have been "space squid mushrooms? That's page 67 of the Monster Manual, let's do a film about those."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Lovecraft doesn't go into monster manual type detail (except in Mountains of Madness IIRC). Despite the purple prose he is very much about the feelings, the dread of the unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the thing is though, i fell asleep before i could even get to the racism bit