Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Even if he doesn’t generate much force when flying, he’s super fast and rapidly tap the plane over and over as it travels.

What I’m saying it, I want the plane to fly along with Homelander constantly bouncing off the bottom of it like he’s a fly running into a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HL doesn't have to lift the whole plane. The wings will do that if they're approximately level. He just needs to nudge it level every so often which he can do at an engine, and then make sure it goes into the water nose up, which he could do at the nose gear.

Unless he's inertialess in flight ! That would both explain why he can outrun the shockwave from the bomb (it's not the velocity, it's the acceleration), and why Butcher and the baby weren't splattered when he grabbed them while going that fast. No inertia, no momentum to transfer to the plane to guide it to a safe-ish crash landing, and no mulching someone he catches while flying fast.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally felt up to watching the most recent episode and oh my god this show is SO FREAKING GOOD. I think if they can maintain this level of quality for another 2-3 seasons it’s a serious contender for my favorite show of all time.

I grew up on Garth Ennis stuff like Preacher/his Punisher run and this is a perfect combo of his bizarre outlandish writing but with a little more restraint and discipline pulling him back from some of his worst instincts. I haven’t had this much fun watching a TV show in a very long time. He always desperately needed a strong editor to rein him in, and thus far I feel like the show has struck a pretty good balance.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

GD_American posted:

Video it, plastic bag it, stuff it in the (inflatable) seat cushion.

If someone had the foresight to really want to gently caress Homelander over in revenge for their impending death.

The footage being extant post-crash definitely points to something like this having happened at some point. Most phones these days are water resistant down to about 1.5m for 30 min, so surviving the crash as part of the wreckage that floats to shore doesn't strain the suspension of disbelief too much for me. That said, if Deep ends up finding a cell phone at the bottom of the ocean and does the rice trick or something, and it works, that's entirely different.

Given that this footage only shows back up after Maeve has roped Deep into her plan to take down Homelander, it seems more likely that they're going to go with the latter option, though

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Maybe he could have pushed the nose up, bounced back and forth from wing flap to wing flap, and kept the plane in the air. Even if he could, it doesn't matter. He didn't want to. Who could make him? Homelander isn't a structural engineer, aviation expert, or anything useful in an out-of-control-plane situation. He's a superhero. And the first time he had a real superhero moment, he choked. Better to just bail and protect his reputation as perfect than let the world discover that he isn't. He's in the business of saving #1, not civilians.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Hell, superman could literally reverse time by flying around the planet.

If you guys were Vought. And you knew you had a psychotic ticking time bomb like Homelander. How would you mitigate his threat? Right now it looks like the corporation is just trying to control him using psychological methods, but I wonder what else they might have?

Personally I'd have a special forces team of B level supes on standby, and if HL ever went off the deep end, each of those supes gets a shot of compound V right into their veins and they try to stop him.

I think Stormfront is Vought's insurance. Wether it's psychological or wether they think she has a change to physically take him on, she's the counterbalance they have against Homelander letting loose.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

spacetoaster posted:

If you guys were Vought. And you knew you had a psychotic ticking time bomb like Homelander. How would you mitigate his threat? Right now it looks like the corporation is just trying to control him using psychological methods, but I wonder what else they might have?

Personally I'd have a special forces team of B level supes on standby, and if HL ever went off the deep end, each of those supes gets a shot of compound V right into their veins and they try to stop him.

Zinc-Man

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There's always some level of fudging when adapting physics to make superheroes invulnerable lest all your supes become known for their iconic four foot toenails.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

seaborgium posted:

Comics spoilers, so handled way differently and in a different context HL does the same thing to the cockpit of the plane they're trying to save. HL tries to "push" the plane to be more level, and instead just cuts the back half of the plane off because he went in too fast and just tried to punch it straight. Also manages to kill another supe doing it, which is why A-Train is in the Seven.

The sequence from the comic is quite good - and shows how little the Seven (or supes in general) are prepared to deal with a real crisis. It starts with a good opening:

Proceeds kinda like in the show, and after HL destroys the cockpit to kill the hijackers (BN has been knocked off of it by now):

Although i would say the "stand back or I'll laser every loving one of you" part in the series is easily as good. And series HL is smart enough not to attempt this - but apparently not smart enough to know what longerons are.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 22, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

What would a real-life corporation in Vought's position have on standby?

A) A highly-trained team of heroes, with the best weapons and equipment, waiting for the order (which may never come) to take down Homelander (which they may not be able to do).

B) A carefully-worded press statement disavowing Vought Inc. from the disgraceful actions of a former employee, and a note to the US military saying "he's your problem now, love Vought".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pretty funny that you guys had a whole argument over whether the plane could land without engines when the engines were fine

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The plane sequence in the comics is improved by knowing that Black Noir cannot in fact fly a plane at all. Maeve just thinks he is, because he is in the Black Noir comics. It's a nice foreshadowing of how she's bought into their own propaganda.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

The sequence from the comic is quite good - and shows how little the Seven (or supes in general) are prepared to deal with a real crisis. It starts with a good opening:

Proceeds kinda like in the show, and after HL destroys the cockpit to kill the hijackers:

Although i would say the "stand back or I'll laser every loving one of you" part in the series is easily as good. And series HL is smart enough not to attempt this - but apparently not smart enough to know what longerons are.

Yeah I think show Homelander's motivation is basically the same - he doesn't want anyone to die, he just can't figure out a way to save them.

The tone is very different though, the comic shows the Heroes more as well-intentioned but panicky, selfish gently caress-ups while in the show they come across as way more jaded from the start.

Although I think in the comics the public knew The Seven were on the plane, while in the TV show they didn't? Which would explain why comic Homelander is desperate enough to try flying at the plane - he thinks his image will be ruined if he lets it crash, whereas TV Homelander knows he can just leave and nobody will know they were there.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 22, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

jabby posted:

the comic shows the Heroes more as well-intentioned
I disagree.

Comic book spoilers

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As if Homelander doesn't sunbathe nude :rolleyes:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I disagree.

Comic book spoilers

I'm talking specifically about the plane "rescue", not the comic in general. The comic makes it obvious they're trying to help, whereas some people thought TV Homelander was just too lazy/actually wanted the plane to crash. He's definitely more calculating given he explicitly refuses to save anyone if it might make him look less than perfect.

Azhais posted:

As if Homelander doesn't sunbathe nude :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just noticed the speedo tan line, thanks for that.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 22, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

jabby posted:

I'm talking specifically about the plane "rescue", not the comic in general. The comic makes it obvious they're trying to help, whereas some people thought TV Homelander was just too lazy/actually wanted the plane to crash. He's definitely more calculating given he explicitly refuses to save anyone if it might make him look less than perfect.

My bad! I agree with you about the airplane. Still, Maeve seems to be the only one concerned about wanting to rescue people. Homelander's not having any of it. He's just going to fly away until Marathon points out that he would eat poo poo if they just abandoned the people to die.

It's been ages since I've read the comics. Do you think comic Homelander is fundamentally different from the one in the TV show?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

jabby posted:

They took that picture and framed the Deep in the same way in that scene for the series, tanlines and all.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

They took that picture and framed the Deep in the same way in that scene for the series, tanlines and all.

Well spotted!

I can't get past how bad the art is on Starlight's face though. Good lord.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

massive spider posted:

I just considered something, comics/teaser spoiler in the conics the G-men (X-men) are a bunch of orphans who are all raised and molested by the professor x analog. Now I doubt the show is going with that for obvious reasons so I’m wondering if this supe teen mental institution mansion is leading to the shows version of the G men

I don't think they'll be cleverly-named or anything (or follow the comics' plot re: the G-Men in any more than a trivial way), but I do suspect that any of the people we see use powers in this supe teen mental institution will seem pretty familiar.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jabby posted:

Well spotted!

I can't get past how bad the art is on Starlight's face though. Good lord.

The early art, especially on the faces doubly so for female characters, is pretty bad. Then it gets worse when they start rotating out artists (especially for Herogasm where the artist for that volume doesn't seem to think about consistency or anatomy in any particular regard) but towards they end it settles on what I'd consider to be the best artist of the series for the major climax.
The Many Faces of Homelander:

While I'm talking about the comics, I'll mention that there's two characters Ennis holds in particular regard: He loves The Punisher and hates Daredevil. Butcher, of course, is basically just his own personal Punisher, from the family revenge plot (admittedly not uncommon) to his visual design being very reminiscent of Punisher around the time. But I suppose a beefy, violent, white guy in a black coat isn't especially unique. More notable is that throughout the comic series there are several callbacks to Daredevil-like characters. From Butcher mentioning he castrated an aids-spreading hero, referring to him only as "the defender of hell's kitchen" to a flashback where he's breaking the knees of a man referred to as "The Man Who Can't See Fear" who looks, loosely, like Matt Murdock only to be told that, like everything else, the blindness was just branding and that he can see just fine. So it's kind of funny that the character they chose to kill this season was another Daredevil knockoff; very on-brand for the series.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Shame that we've seen him fly. It would be hilarious if his super power was just ludicrously accurate long range jumping.

Yeah at the end of S1E1 he's literally flying horizontally next to the plane that he lasers. He's not pushing off of anything. He can fly. He's lying to Maeve about that because he wants all those people to die so he can spin it as a reason to let supes into the military (and to cover up his mistake and because he sees humans as ants). I really don't understand how anyone can take HL at his word after all the poo poo he's done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nuebot posted:

While I'm talking about the comics, I'll mention that there's two characters Ennis holds in particular regard: He loves The Punisher and hates Daredevil. Butcher, of course, is basically just his own personal Punisher, from the family revenge plot (admittedly not uncommon) to his visual design being very reminiscent of Punisher around the time. But I suppose a beefy, violent, white guy in a black coat isn't especially unique. More notable is that throughout the comic series there are several callbacks to Daredevil-like characters. From Butcher mentioning he castrated an aids-spreading hero, referring to him only as "the defender of hell's kitchen" to a flashback where he's breaking the knees of a man referred to as "The Man Who Can't See Fear" who looks, loosely, like Matt Murdock only to be told that, like everything else, the blindness was just branding and that he can see just fine. So it's kind of funny that the character they chose to kill this season was another Daredevil knockoff; very on-brand for the series.

Ennis hates superheroes. Full stop.

He had The Punisher blow off Wolverine's cock and balls and ran 80% of him over with a steamroller, mostly out of spite, during the period when Wolverine was still Marvel's most popular character. The Boys is Ennis' treatise that superheroes would make the world a shittier place if they were real.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah at the end of S1E1 he's literally flying horizontally next to the plane that he lasers. He's not pushing off of anything. He can fly. He's lying to Maeve about that because he wants all those people to die so he can spin it as a reason to let supes into the military (and to cover up his mistake and because he sees humans as ants). I really don't understand how anyone can take HL at his word after all the poo poo he's done.

That's not what happened at all. The original plan was to stop the terrorists and rescue the hostages and use that as the reason the military should hire them. He realized he couldn't or it would take a lot of work after the cockpit shenanigans and so he let them die.

Him spinning the "disaster" as a way to get the military contract was completely improvised.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's not what happened at all. The original plan was to stop the terrorists and rescue the hostages and use that as the reason the military should hire them. He realized he couldn't or it would take a lot of work and so he let them die.

This is kinda hair splitting but yeah I agree. He didn't intentionally kill all those people but he certainly didn't want to do anything to save them once he hosed up even though he could have. He didn't care if they died.

quote:

Him spinning the "disaster" as a way to get the military contract was completely improvised.

Yes it was but he figured it out immediately. He's reckless and sloppy in certain ways but he is absolutely not an idiot. He's a consummate opportunist.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Did he kill Blindspot? I thought he 'just' deafened him.

Bioshuffle posted:

Do you think comic Homelander is fundamentally different from the one in the TV show?

It's an interesting question. Comic Homelander had definitely done way worse things at this point in the plot, including what he did to Starlight, but his senseless murders are implied to be triggered by Black Noir gaslighting him. He also didn't actually rape Becky which TV Homelander apparently did.

TV Homelander doesn't have anyone trying to drive him insane but he seems at least as messed up. At the point of the plane rescue (before any of the events of the plot), I'd say TV Homelander even comes across worse. Comic Homelander does abandon the passengers, but he doesn't threaten to kill them himself, and he actually seems to be freaking out instead of completely chill about it. He even makes an ill-advised attempt to help the plane instead of brushing it off as impossible. His TV counterpart probably would have bailed the instant his idiotic means of breaking into the plane got a child killed, because it would've hurt his reputation.

Elephant Ambush posted:

He's reckless and sloppy in certain ways but he is absolutely not an idiot. He's a consummate opportunist.

This is probably the biggest difference between them in the plane scene. Comic Homelander is an idiot, which I think makes the whole thing seem slightly less his fault. Whereas TV Homelander absolutely could have saved the plane if he'd just been putting in a tiny bit more effort.

jabby fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was a pool of blood under his head, so not outright but I can't imagine he made it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also these videos are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZaSh81eI8

'patriotic services'

Strong Veridian Dynamics vibes off that. Which is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5oBuTisGGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69EtBXkyJ24

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabby posted:

Did he kill Blindspot? I thought he 'just' deafened him.

:same:

He was still crying and writhing in pain as Homelander stepped over him as the scene ended.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

homelander also killed a child and shot down a plane literally in the first episode for no other reason than "hm this person may have inconvenienced someone I like so I am going to do this"

the tension of homelander is that he both views himself as literally a god but still craves adulation from the public, so he is constantly restraining his impulses driven by the fact that he does not view anyone other than himself and maybe his son as meaningful

also A-Train is probably the least openly evil member of the 7 right now other than Starlight - I don't think we've seen him kill anyone on purpose, only through negligence (and he did feel bad about it)

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 22, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

homelander also killed a child and shot down a plane literally in the first episode for no other reason than "hm this person may have inconvenienced someone I like so I am going to do this"

the tension of homelander is that he both views himself as literally a god but still craves adulation from the public, so he is constantly restraining his impulses driven by the fact that he does not view anyone other than himself and maybe his son as meaningful

also A-Train is probably the least openly evil member of the 7 right now other than Starlight - I don't think we've seen him kill anyone on purpose, only through negligence (and he did feel bad about it)

He killed Popclaw but he wasn't happy about it and he only did it because he knew that if Homelander got to her first he'd kill her in a much worse way. At least with a heroin overdose she could die while high.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's not what happened at all. The original plan was to stop the terrorists and rescue the hostages and use that as the reason the military should hire them. He realized he couldn't or it would take a lot of work after the cockpit shenanigans and so he let them die.

I don't know how people don't get that this is exactly what happened.

Why would Homelander have any particular awareness or give-a-poo poo-ness for the controls of an airplane? Has he ever needed to be on one before? He lasered the terrorist and whoops the controls were behind and they're toast. That's it. The rest of the scene played out with him thinking about the image of the Seven and not giving the slightest poo poo about the ants on the plane.

The beach scene where he distorts the chain of events into a "we could've saved these people if only we were told earlier" positive outcome for Vought was totally improvised.

gently caress me, just because he can attenuate his laser eyes doesn't mean he is particularly bothered about doing it except where it is directly beneficial to him (i.e. warming up the milk).

Durzel fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 22, 2020

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

They’re doing a great job with A-Train as the spoiled celebrity rear end in a top hat on the show. He’s a jerk, but in the vein of someone like Kanye West where you recognize his talent and still on some level want to like the guy when he’s not being a prick.

Very curious what direction they’ll take A-Train on the show. The actor portraying him is doing a fantastic job. Really all the acting on this show is top notch.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BGrifter posted:

They’re doing a great job with A-Train as the spoiled celebrity rear end in a top hat on the show. He’s a jerk, but in the vein of someone like Kanye West where you recognize his talent and still on some level want to like the guy when he’s not being a prick.

Very curious what direction they’ll take A-Train on the show. The actor portraying him is doing a fantastic job. Really all the acting on this show is top notch.
A-Train is pretty obviously being steered towards a "grey" outcome, presumably in service of something coming up shortly. It plays into the whole "The Seven is falling apart" narrative too.

He killed Popclaw and of course Robin, but the latter was a mistake. He's had a pretty good arc actually, from thoroughly hate-worthy to somewhat pitiful. The scene of him getting rejected in the club wasn't a deleted scene for a reason.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
HL is super lazy and incompetent. If he didn't have powers he wouldn't be fit to run a lemonade stand.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

A-Train is probably the least openly evil member of the 7 right now other than Starlight - I don't think we've seen him kill anyone on purpose, only through negligence (and he did feel bad about it)
That's an interesting take, considering his complete lack of remorse to killing Hugie's girlfriend is what triggers the entire plot of the show.

In addition, if someone gets drunk, gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone, that's not negligence, that's murder. A-Train did exactly this, except he binged Compound V instead of alcohol. He was absolutely responsible for Robin's death, but not only did he not feel bad about it, he actively avoided responsibility. He's basically Matthew Broderick.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

That's an interesting take, considering his complete lack of remorse to killing Hugie's girlfriend is what triggers the entire plot of the show.

In addition, if someone gets drunk, gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone, that's not negligence, that's murder. A-Train did exactly this, except he binged Compound V instead of alcohol. He was absolutely responsible for Robin's death, but not only did he not feel bad about it, he actively avoided responsibility. He's basically Matthew Broderick.

Are you even watching the series at this point? A-Train does have remorse for killing her - he and Hughie have an entire conversation about how yea, he hosed up, but Hughie also basically killed Popclaw, so there is no moral high ground. He didn't have much remorse initially but as his life started to fall apart he did start reflecting on how yes, he does have culpability, and yes, he did gently caress up. Contrast that with Homelander or Stormfront. A-Train isn't a "good" person, but he is not a literal sociopath.

Is this a shtick?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I also think its funny that for some reason the Seven have to have a 'fast' guy, so they're replacing A-Train... with another fast superhero. To fill the fast spot. Probably focus group testing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I, too, have difficulty recognizing the humanity and realistic motivations of A-Train, for some reason.

Anyway, here's why I really sympathize with Stormfront...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A-Train killed Popclaw because he was scared of Homelander. That's also why he moved her to Cuba.