Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RVT posted:

The audio CB-1s sound like a good deal. Thanks for the tip. The boom pro just plugs in to where the removable cable would go? Coming from the HD 280 pros, I have no experience with removable cables.

Yup, the stock cable is flanged so you just twist and pull (mine was kind of a bitch to get out the first time) and then cram the boom pro in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Sounds good. I ordered a pair and the mic. Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My cat chewed through my headphone cable so I'm in the market.

$60 USD, IEMs, hopefully purchasable from non-Amazon sites. I think the cat chewed through some SoundMagics I bought on the thread's recommendation a while ago. Probably 50/50 music/podcasts, but I'm not too picky about sound profiles or whatever. I'm not super sold on wireless IEMs, but am open to them. I'll mainly be using them with my phone during commutes. No need for a mic or anything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hi, my lovely headphones are wearing out on me and I think it's time to maybe get some proper ones?

Budget- $50-70 range, I guess? I don't need anything too crazy
Source- preferably USB and preferably wireless
Isolation- not necessary
Preferred Type of Headphones- Earbuds annoy me and the ones that go on top of the ears hurt after awhile so... I guess Full Size, Circumaural?
Preferred Tonal Balance- no idea...
Past Headphones- I've had all sorts... various "gaming" headsets, ear buds... you name it. The ones I'm currently using are a cheap pair of wireless Logitech ones that I nabbed for $30 from Best Buy. They've lasted a lot longer than I thought they would but the foam coating on the earpieces is coming off.
Preferred Music- I like synthwave

To elaborate, I need a headset to wear while doing gaming bullshit with friends. I have a standalone desktop mic that works great so the headset need not have a mic, but if it does have one I won't complain. I need wireless because I sometimes play Switch games on the couch. My mic cord is long enough to reach the couch. I would also use the headset for recording commentary for Let's Plays but the audio quality isn't super important for that. That's mostly down to the mic, which I have covered.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
I apparently have an unusually fat head. Most pairs of headphones I have ever worn are uncomfortably tight side-to-side even if the fit on/in/around the ears is great. When I wear ones like that all-day (as I spend many work days on the phone almost continuously), they tend to give me a blood pressure headache up the back of my neck that resembles a migraine.

Budget - Preferably under $150, willing to go up to $250 for something fantastic.
Source - Desktop computer: Preferably USB, but 3.5mm is fine too
Isolation Requirements - Minimal; I want to use them in a living room in a family of 4, not an open-plan office
Preferred Type of Headphone - As large as possible for comfort; generally over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced for games, music, and voice chat
Past Headphones -
I have a SADES SA928 which is honestly the most comfortable fitting pair I've ever worn in terms of size and pressure, but the mic was essentially DOA, the pad is starting to crumble after almost 3 years, and they aren't being made anymore.
I have a Bose QC 35 II from when I was traveling on planes every week. They worked great for the plane and engine noise, but I never really liked how tight they were around my head when I wasn't preoccupied of being strapped into a sardine can traveling at 500 MPH.
I have a Jabra Evolve M80 for work and even at its largest setting, I start to get a pressure headache around my ears after a couple hours. It also does this thing whenever the mic is hot that sounds like everything is going through an analog phone; fine for conference calls but terrible for multiplayer gaming.
I had an Altec Lansing AHS423 behind-the-neck headset a few years ago along with a few similar ones that I could not consistently avoid pinching the tops of my ears. I kinda just dealt with it when I was younger and it didn't ache the next day, but I'm too old for that poo poo anymore.
Preferred Music - Some rock, some electronic, some symphonic

Is there a searchable keyword for the structural style of the SADES one above? Where the main connector between the earpieces is a pair of long, curving rods that go well above the head but the part that actually rests on the head is the stretching pad between them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have cybernetics bolted onto my head.

You tried the AKG K series (from K72 up)? They're the only things that don't cause fuckery with the bit under the ear pad.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a large head and my Q701s are the most comfortable, least squeezy I have. They really benefit from EQ unless you like a bright sound though, and I find my Bose QC 35II comfortable enough so my head may not be as wide.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sennheiser hd595s (and its refreshes) have always been the most comfortable for me in terms of head clamping force

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The HD 6xx and atom combo are loving amazing. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah I have problems with most headphones and boy is the Sennheiser band design just kinda poo poo.

Nowhere near as bad as anything Beyerdynamics has ever done, but not great.

The AKG K271mk2 with the helix cord would probably be my choice if I had to choose something new today, and that's pretty much entirely the band design.

... that, or K240mk2 with helix cord and swapping earpads because budget.

AKG makes velour pads too and they're a massive upgrade over the stock ones on K240 at least.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

wew etymotic sent my replacement IEMs to the wrong state

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

RVT posted:

Sounds good. I ordered a pair and the mic. Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.

Got the Status CB-1s and the boom mic last week. They are super comfortable compared to the Sennheiser 280s. Having the boom mic slotted in so it's headphones and mic in one is really nice as well. Sound quality isn't noticeably different, but I'm also probably not a great judge of that. The mic quality did seem like a real upgrade over the Logitech USB headset I was using just for its mic. However, I see what was meant by "worse built". They feel super flimsy in the hand compared to the 280s which feel like they are made out of steel. The plastic also creaks a in my right ear, not just when putting them on but when I'm just slightly moving my head. Never noticed that with the 280s.

Seems like a good price and is more convenient and comfortable than the old setup. They stay at my desk at home so being a bit flimsy, while not great, isn't a huge deal. I'll give it a bit and see how much the creaking gets to me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RVT posted:

Seems like a good price and is more convenient and comfortable than the old setup. They stay at my desk at home so being a bit flimsy, while not great, isn't a huge deal. I'll give it a bit and see how much the creaking gets to me.

I wonder if they will break in, I can't remember if mine creaked when I got them, but they don't now unless I stretch them outward

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ott_ posted:

wew etymotic sent my replacement IEMs to the wrong state

I ordered a pack of medium tips and they sent me 6 sets of large, I'm pretty sure they're just running around throwing poo poo in boxes while crying hysterically at this point

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a recommended wireless earbuds for Android? My wife wants a set, there seems to be a ton of options. I got the Pixel Buds 2 for myself and I'm not overwhelmed by them. It makes me weary of things in that price range, but not sure.

Definitely looking under $200, but not ruling out sub $100 if it's not going to make a functional difference.

Main uses are phone calls and exercising.

Anker vs Amazon Echo vs Jabra vs Google vs Apple vs anyone else?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a recommended wireless earbuds for Android? My wife wants a set, there seems to be a ton of options. I got the Pixel Buds 2 for myself and I'm not overwhelmed by them. It makes me weary of things in that price range, but not sure.

Definitely looking under $200, but not ruling out sub $100 if it's not going to make a functional difference.

What's the weather like?

Opposed to lapel clips?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

What's the weather like?

Opposed to lapel clips?

Southern California

Lapel clips would be for wires?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FogHelmut posted:

I have heard good things about the Jabra Elite Active 75t. It's at the upper range of what you're willing to spend, but my only experience with Anker earbuds is getting a pair and then having them desync from each other progressively more often until I had to return them.

If she is planning on doing heavy exercise, she might want a pair of over-ear sport earbuds with a good IPX rating, because even the best-sitting ones normal ones that do not have something extra to hold them in place are still loose enough that they might fall out if she likes to go jogging, for example. The obvious thing happens if you jostle a true wireless earbud too much, so there's a risk of losing them. It depends, though. Like, if she just plans to do machine exercise in a gym, this is not a concern.

If you want something that is cheap, good and reliable, I can warmly recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE earbuds for under 50 dollars. They're the by far best earbuds in that price range I've ever owned, and I've tried out well over ten different types and brands over the last few months. They last five to six hours easily, recharge up to four times, and the audio quality is very good for the price. They sit very well and secure and the manufacturing quality is impeccable. I actually bought a second pair because I liked them so much.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FogHelmut posted:

Southern California

Lapel clips would be for wires?

Yarp, lapel clips are for a wire from one earbud to another with a battery in it, basically.

If you're only looking for true wireless you don't want those, obviously. There's plenty of options where you are for both configurations at least.

I wouldn't go for the Anker true wireless option.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're cool with the semi-wired option, I can recommend the Taotronics Soundelite 72 (tt-bh027) sports earbuds. They've got a battery life of a cool eight hours (personally confirmed) and come with little silicon ear wings that keep the buds in place no matter how much you're moving. Great for sports of any kind. Also, the drivers are really big and have excellent sound quality and base.

For 32$ on Amazon, it's a great deal.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want something that is cheap, good and reliable, I can warmly recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE earbuds for under 50 dollars. They're the by far best earbuds in that price range I've ever owned, and I've tried out well over ten different types and brands over the last few months. They last five to six hours easily, recharge up to four times, and the audio quality is very good for the price.
What happens after the fourth time you recharge it?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Passburger posted:

I got the opportunity to buy a pair of brand new Hifiman Sundaras for $350, is it a no-brainer? I know these cans are popular, unfortunately no shops around here have them for me to listen, just dunno if they are $350-good.

Just wanted to say I'm really happy with these, I think they sound really good even if they aren't completely burnt-in. The cable is hot garbage, but nothing's stopping me from buying/making a nicer one. All in all, a good purchase.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baby Proof posted:

What happens after the fourth time you recharge it?
Then you have to recharge the recharging box in which you keep the earbuds or they don't charge no more.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Passburger posted:

Just wanted to say I'm really happy with these, I think they sound really good even if they aren't completely burnt-in. The cable is hot garbage, but nothing's stopping me from buying/making a nicer one. All in all, a good purchase.

"Burn-in" is a giant load of horseshit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Picked up a Sennheiser HD 6XX a few years back and have been enjoying it, but wouldn't mind a little extra volume when I'm listening on my laptop. Is there a sub-$50 headphone amp most people recommend? The slimmer and simpler the better.

Not really an audiophile so I don't need much. I'm seeing products like this that at least claim to be amplifiers; would that do the trick?

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Budget: ~$100
Source: Android phone (Pixel 2) via Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements: No
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM but maybe nice earbuds if they'll let me hear traffic better as I walk around
Preferred Tonal Balance: I don't know
Past Headphones: Xiaomi Piston 3 - happy with them
Preferred Music: Mostly podcasts but also indie rock and folk, jazz, synthwave

Since I've already had Xiaomi earbuds I was looking at these: https://xiaomicanada.ca/product/mi-true-wireless-earphones-white/
Curious about other suggestions though

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I bought a Sennheiser HD 600 and the $99 JDS Atom amp, drat you thread!
I'm still waiting on the amp but I think they're the best headphones I've ever listened to.

I plan on virtualizing 7.1 on them with HeSuVi and EQ with Equalizer APO (Peace GUI)

I've also bought a Antlion Audio ModMic Uni Attachable Noise-Cancelling Microphone to clip to it.

I'm coming from HyperX Cloud II gamer headphones, so this should be a big step up, HeSuVi doesn't seem to work for me with the old headphones because they are USB.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

morestuff posted:

Picked up a Sennheiser HD 6XX a few years back and have been enjoying it, but wouldn't mind a little extra volume when I'm listening on my laptop. Is there a sub-$50 headphone amp most people recommend? The slimmer and simpler the better.

Not really an audiophile so I don't need much. I'm seeing products like this that at least claim to be amplifiers; would that do the trick?

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

grack posted:

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro

Thanks!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

redeyes posted:

ER2XR is a drat fine IEM. Near perfect tonality. For reference the EJ07 has nearly the same freq curve.. it just does all areas better.

So I just picked up some ER2SEs on a lark, I had Etymotic IEM like well before they were mainstream, I think I paid around $350 for my last pair in 2000 dollars. I was concerned about the XRs being artificially bass heavy. Also I suffer from midrange hearing loss which is super awesome because people assume you can hear fine even though human speech can just be completely unintelligible under relatively normal circumstances.

Bass seems great on the ER2SEs, any particular reason I should favor the XRs, especially when I already have trouble with the midrange? I'm almost tempted to just keep both around.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 23, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Three Olives posted:

Bass seems great on the ER2SEs, any particular reason I should favor the XRs, especially when I already have trouble with the midrange? I'm almost tempted to just keep both around.

Not really, not if you already like the tonality of the SE. The XR is the same thing with more of everything under 100hz, so it'll give you a much nicer thump when listening to EDM and movies with subwoofer action. Other than that, there's no real difference. I much prefer the XR, but it's a matter of taste.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I've been out of the headphone circles for a while, but currently looking to get something that has a tad pushier and bigger pads than my current DT250's. I use headphone for a whole day straight so comfort and being lightweight is kinda key. I like everything else about my DT250 however.

Budget - 200 to 300 ish
Source - Xonar STX
Isolation - some
Preferred Type - Closed
Preferred Tonal Balance - neutral to warm
Past Headphones- DT250, ESW9 (like the sound, not comfy for long time), SE535 (love them), HD600 (love the sound but need an amp)

paberu fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 23, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m looking for Bluetooth IEMs that are thin enough for sleeping on my side and listening to audiobooks. I was looking at some of the oddly named brands like Mpow that are nicely inexpensive and seem ok but there’s so many of them.

Budget - under $100, ideally under 50
Source - my iPhone via Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation? Nope, but I wouldn’t turn it down either
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - even balance? Not too tinny
Past Headphones - I like that my AirPods don’t have dumb buttons all over them do do something unexpected every time I touch them, but they are terrible for side sleeping. I’ll only keep one in at a time but I want to be able to roll over painlessly.
Preferred Music - primarily spoken word, otherwise I listen to metal, punk, and electronic music but that doesn’t really matter here

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

I’m looking for Bluetooth IEMs that are thin enough for sleeping on my side and listening to audiobooks. I was looking at some of the oddly named brands like Mpow that are nicely inexpensive and seem ok but there’s so many of them.

Budget - under $100, ideally under 50
Source - my iPhone via Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation? Nope, but I wouldn’t turn it down either
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - even balance? Not too tinny
Past Headphones - I like that my AirPods don’t have dumb buttons all over them do do something unexpected every time I touch them, but they are terrible for side sleeping. I’ll only keep one in at a time but I want to be able to roll over painlessly.
Preferred Music - primarily spoken word, otherwise I listen to metal, punk, and electronic music but that doesn’t really matter here

If it makes things easier I’m open to non iem earbuds or other ideas, they just need to be wireless and low profile.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Snowy posted:

If it makes things easier I’m open to non iem earbuds or other ideas, they just need to be wireless and low profile.

Not sure what they cost where you are, but the Jabra wireless IEMs specifically laud their comfortable low profile nature. Jabra Elite 85t.

Not sure there’s anything else that’d be more comfortable in that “true wireless” space

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread. I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds for use at the gym and such with my Google Pixel. I don't have a specific budget in mind, I'm just looking for a quality set of buds that'll last me a long time. What're the go-to goon recommendations? Thanks!

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Recommendation request:
Budget - $300 USD
Source - Laptop w/ 3.5mm combo-audio jack from laptop sound-card (powered "1 watt x 2"? - It's a Thinkpad T520, but I can't figure out the exact soundcard) - happy to get a jack adapter if necessary, but wouldn't want to require an additional amplifier.
Isolation Requirements - does this refer to background noise, or signal noise? No specific requirements in either case.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, corded
Preferred Tonal Balance - ideally balanced for Classical music
Past Headphones - I've not bought nice headphones before. I'm assuming any mid-range over-ear headphones wouldn't make my ears too hot, as I haven't had too much of an issue with that even with cheap over-ear headphones.
Preferred Music - classical, vocal/acoustic
Thank you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

take_it_slow posted:

Recommendation request:
Budget - $300 USD
Source - Laptop w/ 3.5mm combo-audio jack from laptop sound-card (powered "1 watt x 2"? - It's a Thinkpad T520, but I can't figure out the exact soundcard) - happy to get a jack adapter if necessary, but wouldn't want to require an additional amplifier.
Isolation Requirements - does this refer to background noise, or signal noise? No specific requirements in either case.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, corded
Preferred Tonal Balance - ideally balanced for Classical music
Past Headphones - I've not bought nice headphones before. I'm assuming any mid-range over-ear headphones wouldn't make my ears too hot, as I haven't had too much of an issue with that even with cheap over-ear headphones.
Preferred Music - classical, vocal/acoustic
Thank you.

Uh you're not getting good audio without an amplifier (or rather, a much better DAC). AKG K72 is the go-to cheap upgrade and your sound source will barely benefit from anything higher end.

Modern DAC/amplifier combos are frequently boxes barely larger than your thumb that plug into USB and take their power from USB.

You can figure out what the sound chip is by checking device manager, but it's irrelevant because it's an old Lenovo.

Isolation requirements refer to "how much do you want to hear what's happening around you?" from "everything at all times because otherwise the children get into trouble" to "I live in a bus that can't go below 50mph".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like being able to have my fan running even when I listen to music, but without constantly hearing it in the background, so there's a real-world scenario that might give you an idea of what isolation is good for. Active noise cancelling has been a godsend to me.

literally this big posted:

Hello thread. I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds for use at the gym and such with my Google Pixel. I don't have a specific budget in mind, I'm just looking for a quality set of buds that'll last me a long time. What're the go-to goon recommendations? Thanks!
Again, I heartily recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE true wireless earbuds. They're fifty dollars or less, last for five to six hours, and they have very good audio for what they cost. They'll last you a while, I assume - I've been using mine on a literally daily basis for six months now and I've experienced no loss of quality or battery life. They've also dropped to the floor more than a few times and came away from it without any damage. It's a good pair of earbuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I got a pair of Tranya B530 Pro as a complete impulse buy for like $30 on sale on amazon. They're.... actually really good? They actually have a decently tight and not overdone low end, surprisingly forward and coherent mids, and inoffensive treble. The tuning is really surprising, vocals sound good and are up front and center, unlike most cheapo earbuds. Battery's been good all day and the case just about fits in the coin pocket on jeans. The buds are built solid and small, with responsive (sometimes overly so) touch controls, but the case is rather flimsy and I can see myself having to 3d print a replacement lid for it when the tiny little hinge inevitably breaks.

Anyway, I was wondering when chi-fi would start to overtake the big boys in the TWS market and the answer is definitely now, because I would pick these cheap little shits over airpods any day of the week.