Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

i just have that one song on my phone from a folder of old poo poo my ex had asked me to download and burn for her

last was

https://youtu.be/4U4opbXoMss

This is definitely a warning sign but it took me about two years to be in a karaoke bar with someone else to read the lyrics :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

It misses the 90s by 10 months, but Poe's Haunted album was one of those life-saving albums for me.
The first album also had a line that hit me like a truck and helped me better understand and articulate some childhood abuse.

So yeah I'm on team Poe Deserved Better.
The last news i remember reading about her was something about fighting her record label from letting Coors beer use one of her songs in a commercial, and then I kept waiting for a 3rd album that never came. :(

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It misses the 90s by 10 months, but Poe's Haunted album was one of those life-saving albums for me.
The first album also had a line that hit me like a truck and helped me better understand and articulate some childhood abuse.

The last news i remember reading about her was something about fighting her record label from letting Coors beer use one of her songs in a commercial, and then I kept waiting for a 3rd album that never came. :(

I discovered HoL and Haunted at the same time and was very into both for a long while at just the right while. I guess I’d classify that album as life-saving too is what I’m saying.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Yes! And then I was flabbergasted to realize she had been behind me 2 years at school and I saw her gig when she was still “Annie.”

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The 90s started when the Soviet Union dissolved and ended when the towers fell. Poe is firmly, powerfully, wonderfully 90s.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

It's weird that Hello sounds 90's to me, but not all of it, and Haunted doesn't sound like it's from any specific decade. I think because it's so hyper specifically associated with a part of my life, and mentally at that. By that i mean: it wasn't a soundtrack while i was out doing things at a certain time, it was a soundtrack to working things out in my head, and for long enough that it sounds like comfort that's removed from any era.
I hope that makes sense.

In what i think is kind of a related train of thought: going through old photos, i've been thinking about how i see them through the lens of how old i was at the time they were taken. Like, i don't see a picture of a 19 year old kid, i see my friend in an old memory. Is there a term for that?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Getting into ham as I have, I realize this is a great hobby for someone who misses 90s UX and design.

The FT3DR looks like it'd be comfortable next to a can of surge in some 90s pickup's cupholder (despite coming out last year and featuring some advanced features, like a touch screen and bluetooth)

And that's to say nothing of https://aprs.org.

It's a lovely hobby, but it's definitely being dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Neito has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Sep 18, 2020

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I have been considering getting into ham because I desperately need a hobby, but what purpose does it serve? I thought maybe it would be useful in cases where there is huge civil unrest but I feel like I’d be the only one on the airwaves who would be aiding the protestors instead of the cops

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I have been considering getting into ham because I desperately need a hobby, but what purpose does it serve? I thought maybe it would be useful in cases where there is huge civil unrest but I feel like I’d be the only one on the airwaves who would be aiding the protestors instead of the cops

What...does this mean exactly? A hobby has the purpose of giving you something positive to focus on because miring yourself in negativity all day with no respite makes you useless to the cause you're trying to fight for. Are you suggesting all hams are pro-cop or something?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If you really want a "purpose" for this, look in to ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service).

Or just take the exam, tune to 146.52 and say "This is <callsign>, monitoring" and see who responds. It's really just a giant chat room at the Tech level (though I haven't hit 6 meters yet, which can have some fun characteristics I've heard).

(And from my experience, most Hams tend toward libertarian and semi-anarchist)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

What...does this mean exactly? A hobby has the purpose of giving you something positive to focus on because miring yourself in negativity all day with no respite makes you useless to the cause you're trying to fight for. Are you suggesting all hams are pro-cop or something?

Yeah, no, you’re absolutely right, I should be doing something just to do it and take my mind off of things, of course. Which is why I figured I should just stick to trying to listen in on worldwide shortwave broadcasts. I don’t know, I’m in a really bad place right now.

As for my impression of ham operators... I was trying to read up on it and watch videos and stuff, and everyone was all into that SHTF prepping culture, which makes me think of militias and that kind of thing. I have to be way off base but I couldn’t shake the notion that that was what a lot of the ham community was like.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, no, you’re absolutely right, I should be doing something just to do it and take my mind off of things, of course. Which is why I figured I should just stick to trying to listen in on worldwide shortwave broadcasts. I don’t know, I’m in a really bad place right now.

As for my impression of ham operators... I was trying to read up on it and watch videos and stuff, and everyone was all into that SHTF prepping culture, which makes me think of militias and that kind of thing. I have to be way off base but I couldn’t shake the notion that that was what a lot of the ham community was like.

Don't get me wrong, there is a vein of prepper stuff in Hams, but most of what I see is "We should be prepared if there's a big storm or something that knocks out vital systems" with a hint of "As an intellectual and boredom-induced exercise, how would I prepare for TEOTWAKI?"

Similar to all the goons that used to prep for the zombie apocolypse back in the 2000s.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neito posted:

Don't get me wrong, there is a vein of prepper stuff in Hams, but most of what I see is "We should be prepared if there's a big storm or something that knocks out vital systems" with a hint of "As an intellectual and boredom-induced exercise, how would I prepare for TEOTWAKI?"

Similar to all the goons that used to prep for the zombie apocolypse back in the 2000s.

Yeah, I can totally get behind that kind of thing, being able to assist in natural disasters and the like. I suppose I can give it a shot, just as a hobbyist at first, and see where things go from there.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, I can totally get behind that kind of thing, being able to assist in natural disasters and the like. I suppose I can give it a shot, just as a hobbyist at first, and see where things go from there.

IDK if you're US based or what, but hamstudy.org is a fantastic resource. After maybe two days of study I was able to pass the tech exam. If you can basically remember things like P=VR and E=ir you're like 40% there for tech, which gets you mostly local comms (6m, 2m, and 440MHz) and some minor privileges elsewhere (data and SSB voice on a small part of 10m, Mores Code on 15m, 40m, and 80m, which are the really long distance bands) and some weird poo poo that I've never seen anyone use, like 902 and 1240 MHz.

(For whatever traditional reasons, Hams refer to the frequency bands by their wavelength in meters most bands)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

This is the only roguelike I still enjoy after a couple hours. I was introduced to it by a super cute goth girl back then.
Good memories.
The first game is way harder than the second.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember a lot of text based games with the odd picture always having a copy protect that required something physical. Like one had a map that you absolutely needed in order to play because otherwise you'd just end up dying constantly. Or another needed a letter included in the game to answer a question in the beginning. As this was before internet, if you didn't have the actual game, you were SOL.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Poe absolutely did deserve more. Her career is basically a prime example of someone getting turbofucked by their label, their lawyers, and ruining it for everyone. That similar things happened to Taylor Swift decades later shoes you how hosed the record industry is and how biased it is against women.

In a nutshell, she had a 3-5 record deal with a label that was a sublabel under Atlantic. The AOL Time Warner merge in 2001 caused a massive financial shuffle, and in November (one year after Haunted had been released and literally a pair of months after Poe had been granted a contract extension) she was dropped completely from Atlantic which was now under AOLTW.

What was later revealed is that Atlantic's deal with the sublimely had them on the hook for all the costs associated with the talent (marketing, distribution, etc) but no equity stake in their work as Atlantic did not have rights to the masters. Not wanting to commit cash to any artist that they could not profit off of, AOLTW cut Poe loose.

But in the process, Atlantic was granted a 2 year grace period to sell off their stock of Haunted discs (they had just printed singles of Wild to send to radio stations and that stopped right quick), during which the masters would be held by the sublabel.

At this time, Poe sought legal advice from a friend of the family. They were sure she would get a settlement in no time and rights to her masters, but advised she work with someone from their law firm, who then advised she cut ties with her management and finance team to avoid a payout share. She was also given something like $150,000 as a personal loan, with the caveat that if she did not pay that back after the settlement, masters rights would default to the lawyers.

And of course what happened was she received no payout from AOLTW/Atlantic, defaulted on the $150,000 since she was barred from.performing as Poe for 2 years, lost her masters (which were then sold off to a music group that went through 3 mergers in the intervening years), was further banned from performing as Poe and got tied up in a legal battle that took over a loving DECADE to sort out.

She apparently performed as "Jane' on a few things at the time, but the battles and poo poo really kneecapped her. I was at a function a few years ago and the DJ was playing some random filler music during the dinner and poo poo if I wasn't sure it wasn't Poe singing backup (thanks to Shazam it *was* her on the track). Her voice remains very distinct and I will always recall listening to her singing Angry Johnny as I woke up in a haze in the middle of the night with my stereo still playing.

She was one of the early artists to use the internet and forums as a way to reach out to fans. In the 2000s she had a "PoeBall" with the logo from the Hello album going around the world with fans, having pictures posted to her website.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

twistedmentat posted:

I remember a lot of text based games with the odd picture always having a copy protect that required something physical. Like one had a map that you absolutely needed in order to play because otherwise you'd just end up dying constantly. Or another needed a letter included in the game to answer a question in the beginning. As this was before internet, if you didn't have the actual game, you were SOL.

It was even better when they went further and printed the required manual in that ink that couldn’t be photocopied and gave you a bit of red film that you had to look through to see the fifteenth word on the thirtieth page or whatever. I don’t even remember what game i was playing, I just remember being so annoyed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HOLY gently caress posted:

It was even better when they went further and printed the required manual in that ink that couldn’t be photocopied and gave you a bit of red film that you had to look through to see the fifteenth word on the thirtieth page or whatever. I don’t even remember what game i was playing, I just remember being so annoyed.
The Star Trek 25th Anniversary adventure game required you to have the Starman for the systems. Jump to the wrong one and you had a poo poo time getting free of the battle that would ensue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

The Star Trek 25th Anniversary adventure game required you to have the Starman for the systems. Jump to the wrong one and you had a poo poo time getting free of the battle that would ensue.

I got REAL good at the battles eventually. Though a friend of mine just traced the actual map and photocopied that so we didn't have to randomly click on locations. Makes me wonder what the GoG or Steam verison of the games do.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Or the ever popular Dial a Pirate. LGR has a video about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEbpMgiL7U

I remember with Master of Orion you had to identify a ship from the manual, but the ships all had generic names like falcon, shark, and one that looked like a dick that was called the penetrator. So we'd just save the game constantly before the copy protect showed up, and when it did we hoped it was one we could guess.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

This is awesome. I managed to find all the old skins I used. At first I thought they did not have my Evangelion Asuka skin but then I noticed the search function and there you go!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Her voice remains very distinct and I will always recall listening to her singing Angry Johnny as I woke up in a haze in the middle of the night with my stereo still playing.

Woah that sparked some heavy nostalgia for me.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I never knew this song was called Cantaloop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBjhBL9G6U

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sekhmnet posted:

I never knew this song was called Cantaloop
That's because it's made up from sampled loops from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIXGX0Io

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I made an 80s playlist on Spotify and called it simple 80s Are Awesome, as Awesome is a word i associate with the 80s, but with the 90s, i can't think of something that would be the equivalent to. Radical? Fly? Da Bomb? Tubular?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gotta go for that alliteration

90s are Nifty

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Besides the bomb I'd associate all of the words with the 70s.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
90s are Sweet? Rad?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

90s are Cowabunga

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
80s are Radical
90s are The Bomb dot Com
00s are NEVER FORGET
10s are Thotty
I gently caress with the 20s

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's because it's made up from sampled loops from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIXGX0Io

I always thought it was the 'flip fantasia' song but knowing it samples from that song makes a ton of sense. I also kind of prefer the Hancock version, but thats probably because I'm old now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Gotta go for that alliteration

90s are Nifty

I like this one. Sweet is for when I make an early 2000s playlist.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Besides the bomb I'd associate all of the words with the 70s.

Yea, the 90s was a very derivative time but we pretended we were original.

FilthyImp posted:

80s are Radical
90s are The Bomb dot Com
00s are NEVER FORGET
10s are Thotty
I gently caress with the 20s

The 2020s are OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
'90s are Xtreme!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Sorry the 90s are BADICAL DUDE!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

I wanted that game so bad because the commercials were so cool. I kept asking and asking. Mom saved up and I got it for Christmas.

Finished it that day. I felt bad.

(the game kinda sucked and was way easy)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The 90s are Phat

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The 90s are Phat
2 the MAxX!

Can I just say how much I love the weird transitional typography of the 90s. Distressed, random spacing, sometimes intermixed fonts, vaguely reminiscent of actual type, etc.

Did anyone figure out what the design language of all the Nickelodeon style vaguely biological blobs was called???

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's called paying a designer for a custom typeface.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The 90s are Phat

Was going to suggest this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

2 the MAxX!

Can I just say how much I love the weird transitional typography of the 90s. Distressed, random spacing, sometimes intermixed fonts, vaguely reminiscent of actual type, etc.

Did anyone figure out what the design language of all the Nickelodeon style vaguely biological blobs was called???

https://twitter.com/y2k_aesthetic Probably has a write up on it somewhere. They really love the typography of the 90s/early 00s and have several writeups on different trends.