Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Turin Turambar posted:

Best sellers in videogames in Amazon.com

#5 Switch
#7 Cyberpunk 2077 pc version
#9 Quest 2
#10 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
#16 Quest 2 256gb
#38 Quest 2 elite strap with battery
#63 Quest 2 elite strap

Not bad, given the tv marketing campaign hasn't started. The fact the more expensive strap is selling more than the normal one says to me that right now, it's the hardcore audience the ones that are buying currently.

The more expensive strap has a case thrown in too so it’s really a no brainer. When I ordered it it looked like there’s a few weeks delay between getting the Quest and the strap though, which is a little awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVvLgvGU3A
Big shoes

/walks slowly

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timing who you look at in Facebook Horizon and for how long. What you talk about and who you talk with. Which ads you look at, what part of them you look at, timed down to the millisecond. How long you play. How quickly you tire. What your range of movement is and how healthy you are. Are you getting fitter? More tired over time indicating an underlying health condition? They'll sell that on to your health insurance.

Jokes on them, I live in America lost my health insurance due to the pandemic.

Jumping on the Costco pre-order. Looking forward to escaping this hell hole reality for a few hours each week.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

The more expensive strap has a case thrown in too so it’s really a no brainer. When I ordered it it looked like there’s a few weeks delay between getting the Quest and the strap though, which is a little awkward.

I have the Quest 1 + official case, I strongly recommend the car; that the Quest 2 case comes with the not-totally-lovely head strap, so much the better

I can't imagine using the Quest 2 with the "base" strap for more than a few days before shelling out the extra $$ for the good strap

Only downside of the official case is that it doesn't have any flat sides so it doesn't sit flat and packs weird in bigger bags

We need a Facebook related emoji... Maybe zuck wearing a pair of googles, ala :vrfrog: mixed with the :fuckoff: and we could name it : oculus:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I never play my quest (w/ Chinese aftermarket strap) for longer than the battery lasts, so I've gone with the cheaper strap upgrade on the assumption that within a couple of weeks there'll be $20 Chinese cases available.

The battery strap + official case is definitely decent value if you don't want to faff around with Chinese shipping though.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timing who you look at in Facebook Horizon and for how long. What you talk about and who you talk with. Which ads you look at, what part of them you look at, timed down to the millisecond. How long you play. How quickly you tire. What your range of movement is and how healthy you are. Are you getting fitter? More tired over time indicating an underlying health condition? They'll sell that on to your health insurance.

You're not wrong, and it's completely understandable why anyone would want to skip the Quest and all future Oculus devices due to facebook. I've just decided I do not care. My real name facebook account is used about once a month to manage a page for work, and occasionally order meat from my butcher. I have one friend and it's a coworker I added so he could make me page admin. Well done to them if they get anything useful from that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've just decided I do not care. My real name facebook account is used about once a month to manage a page for work, and occasionally order meat from my butcher. I have one friend and it's a coworker I added so he could make me page admin. Well done to them if they get anything useful from that.

Yeah that's not how modern marketing tracking works at all

Ever seen one of those blue "share this page/article/blog post on Facebook!" buttons? Even without you interacting with the button, simply loading the button is sending pretty much real time browsing data back to the mother ship. Keep an eye out for how many blue buttons you see. Same goes for twitter etc

They know how much time you spend online, what kind of political articles you read, age, income, gender, hobbies etc etc. It's possible to do studies like (friend did this once before Facebook locked down their API more) how many single women are there in Austin Texas between 22 and 30 who like men who have beards and wear dark rimmed glasses. Yes you can get that specific. To call it a firehose of information is not even the half of it

We should probably create an oculus quest thread so we can filter out this poo poo every time someone wanders in here thinking that just because they only log in once a month their computer is painted in black stealth paint

Re: ghostry, adblock etc there's lots of example sites that will show how even without login information, it's super simple to fingerprint a phone/pc just based on the browser version number, language/os and ip range and narrow you down to a handful of people. You can even tell multiple iphone users apart using the same wifi. Modern tracking is really good.

Attaching a VR headset to that ocean of information is pants on head crazy, but also why oculus is worth $2 billion dollars to a company like Facebook

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 22, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Ever seen one of those blue "share this page/article/blog post on Facebook!" buttons? Even without you interacting with the button, simply loading the button is sending pretty much real time browsing data back to the mother ship. Keep an eye out for how many blue buttons you see. Same goes for twitter etc

They know how much time you spend online, what kind of political articles you read, age, income, gender, hobbies etc etc. It's possible to do studies like (friend did this once before Facebook locked down their API more) how many single women are there in Austin Texas between 22 and 30 who like men who have beards and wear dark rimmed glasses. Yes you can get that specific. To call it a firehose of information is not even the half of it

We should probably create an oculus quest thread so we can filter out this poo poo every time someone wanders in here thinking that just because they only log in once a month their computer is painted in black stealth paint

Re: ghostry, adblock etc there's lots of example sites that will show how even without login information, it's super simple to fingerprint a phone/pc just based on the browser version number, language/os and ip range and narrow you down to a handful of people

Attaching a VR headset to that ocean of information is pants on head crazy, but also why oculus is worth $2 billion dollars to a company like Facebook

I know. It's evil and insidious. I just don't care.

to clarify, with regards to facebook and oculus idgaf about linking them because at this point what does it matter? They can already track via my existing oculus device, and linking it to a fb account I hardly use makes zero difference to me.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 22, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hadlock posted:

They know how much time you spend online, what kind of political articles you read, age, income, gender, hobbies etc etc.

This is all true whether you have a Facebook account or not. It literally doesn't matter at all, they have a shadow profile on you either way.

Try your browser on Panopticlick if you want to see how unique your browser fingerprint is.

quote:

Or we could take the constant Facebook derails to the Tech Nightmare thread where they belong and keep talking about the Quest in this, the VR gaming thread.

blunt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 22, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that looks incredibly boring
you can even play vrchat with that, walking over to someone would take 5 minutes

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone know much about the software side of that sort of thing? Is it interfacing directly with the VR subsystems and actually providing some sort of translation matrix to offset the player within their play space or something, or is it just doing something more lame like converting the walking motion to a joystick slide forward command?

The traversal map seems to maybe imply the former but I’m dubious because that seems like a very generic and harder solution, as opposed to just faking a controller’s joystick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

blunt posted:

This is all true whether you have a Facebook account or not. It literally doesn't matter at all, they have a shadow profile on you either way.

Try your browser on Panopticlick if you want to see how unique your browser fingerprint is.

That's cool. I pass most of the tests... except the unique fingerprint.
"Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 224,947 tested in the past 45 days."

It seems the most identifying value is the webgl fingerprint. I disabled it, but even then, it seems there isn't a lot of people out there with the combination of a 1200p monitor, Spanish keyboard, SPA and Eng languages installed, a gtx 1080 gpu, etc etc

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The new Firefox has a Facebook jail that works pretty well from what I can tell.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The idea that Facebook is going to delete accounts that are linked to an oculus account for inactivity is kind of dumb. The reason they automatically or manually delete those accounts is because they think they could be bots. They are going to know if an account is linked to a $300 device by nature of being in charge of the account and the device. They are going to know that a bot wouldn’t be attached to a $300 device. The account will be ignored on their “is this a bot” pass. Facebook sucks but they aren’t dumb. If I can come up with this, their devs can do.

Losing your games because you say something on the social media platform that is against their rules is going to suck, but it’s exceedingly rare to get banned from Facebook anyway so...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Just be proactive in protecting your account by constantly ranting about how global warming is fake and Q is going to murder Obama and you should be golden :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FB buys another VR startup, in this case about varifocal technology
https://www.reddit.com/r/AR_MR_XR/comments/ixl7ql/facebook_has_acquired_singapores_lemnis_vr_zoom/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GutBomb posted:

Losing your games because you say something on the social media platform that is against their rules is going to suck, but it’s exceedingly rare to get banned from Facebook anyway so...

Gonna be so many people getting temp bans from FB (which are common as hell for some people) and discovering they can't kill the downtime in beat saber and its going to be hilarious

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That's a pretty fun idea, but I imagine it would hamper your ability to quickly move around in a gunfight.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm kind of surprised, from the sounds of this its using moving lenses for focal changes, and it feels like oculus has already done so much research on this topic, they were able to push to a solid state design and away from that. I wonder if there is some special stuff this team is doing, or its more a case of wanting to buy up the competition so someone else doesn't?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tom Guycot posted:

or its more a case of wanting to buy up the competition so someone else doesn't?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5jyVCdXwc

(can't do it without the music)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm kind of surprised, from the sounds of this its using moving lenses for focal changes, and it feels like oculus has already done so much research on this topic, they were able to push to a solid state design and away from that. I wonder if there is some special stuff this team is doing, or its more a case of wanting to buy up the competition so someone else doesn't?

It's doing work with eye tracking and looks like some visual correction stuff, so even if FB isn't super interested in the overarching solution they could be interested in buying up the patents, research, and expertise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. They have acquired a few at this point, as expected from a good ol' evil corp:

-Oculus (doh)
-Carbon Design (hardware design, they worked before for MS)
-Raknet (mp network engine for games)
-Nimble vr (hand tracking)
-13th lab (3d reconstruction/slam)
-Surreal Vision (3d reconstruction/slam)
-Pebbles Interface (hand tracking)
-InfiniLed (microled)
-Two big ears (3d audio)
-Ready at Dawn, Beat Games, Sanzaru Games (games)
-Zurich Eye (computer vision)
-CTRL-labs (neural interface)
-Scape Technologies (computer vision)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone know much about the software side of that sort of thing? Is it interfacing directly with the VR subsystems and actually providing some sort of translation matrix to offset the player within their play space or something, or is it just doing something more lame like converting the walking motion to a joystick slide forward command?

The traversal map seems to maybe imply the former but I’m dubious because that seems like a very generic and harder solution, as opposed to just faking a controller’s joystick.

AFAIK, they either do this by abusing the functions for setting the playspace zero pose offsets in the openvr API, by hooking into the driver side interface and intercepting the pose.

The latter is why the last SteamVR update broke a ton of utilities. Valve added an updated driver interface, and none of the utilities could see the pose updates since they were looking for the old version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quest vs Quest 2 comparison. As always in those 'through the lens' comparisons, take them carefully, as in real life it may be different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FH4iIrY5LU&t=123s
(put the video in 4k and full screen!)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That reminds me a lot of a OG Vive vs Index comparison.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Enos Cabell posted:

The new Firefox has a Facebook jail that works pretty well from what I can tell.
Or just use Firefox' own multi-account container extension, that lets you put all your sites of choice in their own containers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Into the Radius is on sale for $20. Kind of tempting.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is that the Stalker, but VR game? Looked pretty interesting, I'd love it if anyone could share a trip report.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

That reminds me a lot of a OG Vive vs Index comparison.

That pentile setup always gives the worst looking screen door effect.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Into the Radius is on sale for $20. Kind of tempting.

My experience with that was that it runs pretty poorly, and is way, way jankier than STALKER ever was. I ended up returning it pretty quick.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I said come in! posted:

I am still holding out for the HP Reverb G2 which while twice as expensive as the Quest 2, appears to be superior and makes no compromises. Plus Mark Zuccerberg does not have direct access to your eye balls everytime you put the device on on your head.

I mean, the compromise is that it is a WMR device, so it will have janky software and the tracking won't be as good as other inside-out devices.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Nalin posted:

I mean, the compromise is that it is a WMR device, so it will have janky software and the tracking won't be as good as other inside-out devices.

it's a Steam VR device too, and the tracking seems fairly on par with base tower tracking, greatly improved over the first attempts at inside out for sure

anyways i've had my reverb G2 preordered since july and everything I've seen since just makes me want it more and more, you should all just pre-order now and sell it if it's not for you, you'll probably make a pretty penny

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

Or just use Firefox' own multi-account container extension, that lets you put all your sites of choice in their own containers.

The Facebook Container addon does some extra things that the Multi-Account Containers addon doesn't do, but you can use both at the same time.

quote:

However, unlike Facebook Container, Multi-Account Containers doesn’t prevent you from opening non-Facebook sites in your Facebook Container. So users of Multi-Account Containers need to take a bit extra care to make sure they leave the Facebook Container when navigating to other sites. In addition, Facebook Container assigns some Facebook-owned sites like Instagram and Messenger to the Facebook Container. With Multi-Account Containers, you will have to assign these in addition to facebook.com.

Facebook Container also deletes Facebook cookies from your other containers on install and when you restart the browser, to clean up any potential Facebook trackers. Multi-Account Containers does not do that for you.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shogunner posted:

it's a Steam VR device too, and the tracking seems fairly on par with base tower tracking, greatly improved over the first attempts at inside out for sure

Not any more than Oculus headsets are, they're both wrapping to their native API meaning there's some overhead.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
This is probably old news but I just saw the MS Flight Sim is getting VR support this year. I'm not much of a flight sim guy but this looks really sweet, like a turbocharged google earth. It will probably need a pretty beefy rig though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's Reverb G2 exclusive at first.

I'm not sure how the hell they're going to get it to run well, Flight Sim is extremely CPU limited and it struggles to even hit 45fps at times.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

It's Reverb G2 exclusive at first.

I'm not sure how the hell they're going to get it to run well, Flight Sim is extremely CPU limited and it struggles to even hit 45fps at times.

Lower rez VR only textures.

Or itll be like DCS or w/e and people will just cope with it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shogunner posted:

anyways i've had my reverb G2 preordered since july and everything I've seen since just makes me want it more and more, you should all just pre-order now and sell it if it's not for you, you'll probably make a pretty penny

I want to pre-order, but I also want to know the exact release date first. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

I want to pre-order, but I also want to know the exact release date first. :saddowns:

it's looking likely that it'll be the end of october, atleast according to the person i spoke with for their US distributor

worth it I'd say if you don't want the FB headset or to wait until the first restock in 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Lower rez VR only textures.

Or itll be like DCS or w/e and people will just cope with it.

between the cpu bottleneck and the nvidia shortage, we're probably just going to cope with it

how bad is the MSFS cpu bottleneck anyway? Does it like not utilize more than 1 core well or something