Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Basically everything can be boiled down to 'just keep playing'. Sometimes there are specific triggers, but the conversation might be sitting in a queue behind more important stuff.

Spoilers for the final aspect weapon unlocks, ripped from elsewhere:

Varatha: Aspect of Guan Yu. Acquire the Fated List, unlock at least 5 other aspects, and fight Hades at least once (outcome is irrelevant). Achilles should tell you more in a conversation soon after that.
Stygius: Aspect of Arthur. Unlock the Aspect of Guan Yu, then invest at least 5 Titan Blood into any Blade aspects. Nyx should tell you more in a conversation soon after that.
Aegis: Aspect of Beowulf. Unlock the Aspect of Guan Yu, then invest at least 5 Titan Bloods into any Shield aspects. Chaos should tell you more in a conversation soon after that.
Coronacht: Aspect of Rama. Unlock the Aspect of Guan Yu, then invest at least 5 Titan Bloods into any Bow aspects. Artemis should tell you more in a conversation soon after that.
Exagryph: Aspect of Lucifer. Unlock the Aspect of Guan Yu, then invest at least 5 Titan Bloods into any Rail aspects. Zeus should tell you more in a conversation soon after that.

Which is basically a fancy way of saying 'just keep playing normally'. I know it took forever to get the final rail aspect unlocked, as even after looking this up and fiddling with things to make it happen, the guy kept talking about other stuff first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab Sabbington posted:

Can you give some more context on how it reads as metagame-y to you? I could see it, but since the Codex is an in-universe thing that is in-universe updating I'd land more on unintuitive, not necessarily outside the game's text.

That's a fair cop, I'd forgotten that the Codex is in-universe. Real easy to ignore it, when I'm busy doing runs and all :v:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

All my favorite weapons I can’t actually win a run with. But feels like It’s getting so much easier I will get there soon and start raising heats

I absolutely love the spear--especially the Achilles aspect because just darting around each room loving dudes up is absurdly fun--but it has easily my worst win rate of any weapon by a pretty significant margin. Conversely, I don't particularly enjoy the shield aspects all that much but I have a pretty close to 100% win rate at this point at my default 19 heat.

Ciaphas posted:

That's a fair cop, I'd forgotten that the Codex is in-universe. Real easy to ignore it, when I'm busy doing runs and all :v:

Yeah, it's easy to forget given how game-y it feels, but Greg Kasavan swoops in again with a relatively elegant way to explain away poo poo like that.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I almost wish Ares had his colors reversed, so that it'd look like he has a tanline across his eyes from wearing his war helmet for so long. Almost.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Got a series of chaos boons that are pumping my special with the magnet fists and the hammer bonus that gives you health back on special kills and I am melting my way through everything.

Cannot wait to see how it all falls apart :sigh:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

:smug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nice

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
First win on attempt #16. It turns out Demeter's ice laser cast is absolutely busted when buffed with the duration/freeze boost and the combo with Artemis that makes it track real good, and also the boon that makes frozen enemies take even more DOTs just because, and this was before we get to the rapid-fire Poseidon-pushback bow that makes waves when knocking motherfuckers against walls. Man I didn't even have a deflect on and I didn't even notice.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How do I stop sucking at the Rail?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Turn aim assist on and focus on the special, not the attack, unless you have hestia/the shotgun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didn't realize it after the rework but I think the Zagreus shield is actually insane. It boosts your attack damage by like 60%.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do you guys tend to focus on one weapon for a few runs or bounce around? I'm having so much fun it's tricky to settle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I pretty much always go random (the +20% darkness bonus). I have pretty strong preferences in terms of most aspects at this point though (zag shield, zag spear, hestia rail, nemesis sword, chiron bow, haven't settled on fists yet but zag so far).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What's the policy on posting our favorite gods as hot anime babes?

edit: Hermes is definitely #1 bae

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m confused about the Dark Foresight mirror talent. What does the icon it shows in “Raise your chances for (icon) rewards” mean?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Flipswitch posted:

Do you guys tend to focus on one weapon for a few runs or bounce around? I'm having so much fun it's tricky to settle.

I have a terrible compulsion to make sure i'm done with a heat level before swapping back to a weapon. So optimally this means I bounce between every weapon, but in practice means I win with 4 weapons then slam my head against the wall with the remaining 2 until I break through.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

dantheman650 posted:

I’m confused about the Dark Foresight mirror talent. What does the icon it shows in “Raise your chances for (icon) rewards” mean?

The Dark Foresight gives you up to a 10% chance of rewards that will benefit your current run such as Poms, Boons, and Hearts as opposed to rewards for progression, such as Darkness, Keys and Gems.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I havent gotten very far (one win) but I would love a DLC/expansion with the same basic concept and gameplay but a newish cast. Either storming Olympus as a mortal/demigod hero (because holy gently caress the ambient dialogue the gods have sometimes makes me feel like this is a hell world) or the opposite of current game, trying to break into the underworld to rescue a loved one or something.

I dont think I'd like an extension of Zag's story tho. From everything I have been spoiled on, it seems they did well to finish it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I havent gotten very far (one win) but I would love a DLC/expansion with the same basic concept and gameplay but a newish cast. Either storming Olympus as a mortal/demigod hero (because holy gently caress the ambient dialogue the gods have sometimes makes me feel like this is a hell world) or the opposite of current game, trying to break into the underworld to rescue a loved one or something.

I dont think I'd like an extension of Zag's story tho. From everything I have been spoiled on, it seems they did well to finish it.

The story of the Greek Gods is not precisely a hellworld but it is a place where it takes very effort for an all-powerful deity to curse you and your entire bloodline for eternity when they aren't trying to gently caress you.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

YggiDee posted:

How do I stop sucking at the Rail?

Get the hammer that turns the special into a rocket, and then one of the hammers that multiplies the projectiles from it. For the gun itself, Zeus's lightning-on-attack and Artemis' arrows-on-attack boons are really nice.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ImpAtom posted:

The story of the Greek Gods is not precisely a hellworld but it is a place where it takes very effort for an all-powerful deity to curse you and your entire bloodline for eternity when they aren't trying to gently caress you.

I mean I know a lot about greek myth, but Hades in particular seems to have gone a particularly dark route what with Artemis talking to me about how maybe Zag will be able to help her convince demeter to end the endless winter that is killing all the humans/good things to hunt, while Demeter chimes in with a 'they deserve everything I do to them'

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

What's the policy on posting our favorite gods as hot anime babes?

edit: Hermes is definitely #1 bae

Artemis is bae

And Theseus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean I know a lot about greek myth, but Hades in particular seems to have gone a particularly dark route what with Artemis talking to me about how maybe Zag will be able to help her convince demeter to end the endless winter that is killing all the humans/good things to hunt, while Demeter chimes in with a 'they deserve everything I do to them'

That's what happened in the myth as well though. The world was trapped in an endless winter because of her anger and despair, which is why they eventually had to find a way to bring Persephone back without fully pissing off either Hades or Demeter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ImpAtom posted:

That's what happened in the myth as well though. The world was trapped in an endless winter because of her anger and despair, which is why they eventually had to find a way to bring Persephone back without fully pissing off either Hades or Demeter.

Yeah but persephone isnt a prisoner any more, is living pretty comfortably (from what I've seen) and seems fairly good to go. So hell world of endless deadly winter seems less deserved than ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah but persephone isnt a prisoner any more, is living pretty comfortably (from what I've seen) and seems fairly good to go. So hell world of endless deadly winter seems less deserved than ever.

persephone says she's working on a way to fix that, which will presumably lead to the visitation-rights solution depicted in the myths

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Not sure if it's 100% clear but the game is specifically set in the period between Persephone going missing and them finding out she's in Hades. Some of the character beats are different but they don't actually know where she is or if she's even alive right now.

Oxxidation posted:

persephone says she's working on a way to fix that, which will presumably lead to the visitation-rights solution depicted in the myths

Keep playing and you'll see how that ends up.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Flipswitch posted:

bae

Theseus

Absolutely the gently caress not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aphrodite of course, but that's kinda expected

Behind her, gotta be Ares

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

part of me wants to dump a ton of blood into a weapon/aspect that's generally good, and use that a lot to farm more; but then I see that +20% darkness (and gems now) and I'm out the gate with it before I even realize

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Ciaphas posted:

part of me wants to dump a ton of blood into a weapon/aspect that's generally good, and use that a lot to farm more; but then I see that +20% darkness (and gems now) and I'm out the gate with it before I even realize

ya this is me too - i always try to shake up my builds too and sometimes end up pleasantly surprised

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I only started playing at 1.0 I saw people mention that 1.0 added an epilogue. Is this different than rolling the credits or is that what it refers to?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I only started playing at 1.0 I saw people mention that 1.0 added an epilogue. Is this different than rolling the credits or is that what it refers to?

There is a third ending after the credit-roll ending.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Been playing this a ton the past few days but I still haven't even gotten one clear yet. :negative:

I inevitably crash and burn somewhere in Elysium.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Is there something about the Hestia rail that I'm missing that really changes how it feels? I enjoyed a brief run I did with the shotgun hammer but unintentionally killed the run by taking a chaos damage on attack boon in a situation where I really, really wished I hadn't. Otherwise it just feels like I need to constantly be reloading to deal literally any damage at all, which means I end up just using the special as my main DPS, at which point I could be doing baseline 75% more damage with the Eris aspect and get more free clears.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

With the Hestia rail you need to constantly be reloading. That's all there is to know about it. It's ridiculously safe and there isnt much to it otherwise. I would probably not go too aggressive on the timer with it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Sab Sabbington posted:

Is there something about the Hestia rail that I'm missing that really changes how it feels? I enjoyed a brief run I did with the shotgun hammer but unintentionally killed the run by taking a chaos damage on attack boon in a situation where I really, really wished I hadn't. Otherwise it just feels like I need to constantly be reloading to deal literally any damage at all, which means I end up just using the special as my main DPS, at which point I could be doing baseline 75% more damage with the Eris aspect and get more free clears.

Nah it sounds like you've got the gist of it. Hestia is single-shot sniper mode. Works especially well with Artemis obviously. If you don't feel very comfortable reloading constantly on the fly then it probably just isn't for you. It is one of my most favorite aspects in the game. I really love that you have two potentially huge damage sources on it. I find it works really well to alternate attacks and specials with it because you can use both to fill in the reload/recharge gaps easily if you get in a good flow with it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That as of writing this post only 7% of the Steam playerbase has the achievment Three-Headed Boy is an absolute downright travesty. C'mon folks, show Cerby some love.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
... 9.3% here, only a minute later. Regardless, the trouble with that stat is they didn't put a cheevo for basic gameplay/install, eg getting a cheevo for dying. It sounds stupid as hell, but it helps baseline how much of the player base is actually playing the game instead of just buying it and having it sitting ignored. A lot of games, even super loving popular ones, only have like 40% of owners play the game for ten minutes. Once you factor that in, you can put the lower % things in context for what the player base is up to.

Of course, this is for our benefit, as Supergiant has their own internal tracking stuff that they use to balance boon picks etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Been playing this a ton the past few days but I still haven't even gotten one clear yet. :negative:

I inevitably crash and burn somewhere in Elysium.

Same here. I needed to chill out a bit because I just go lunatic mode. Also Poseidon's dash does good damage and will keep you safe from a lot of poo poo. It's my instant go to when I see it.

E: I'm clearing the game now, but same problem is what I mean.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I died to the final boss three times last night, usually about 60-70% into the first phase. I know this is a vague question but like, any general tips? I usually die to the big 360 swing, do I need to time my dash to dodge it instead of trying to get out of its ramge, for example?