Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Has there been any mention of Flight Sim on Series X? Because that would make me happy.

Its coming next year for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

that backlash that microsoft got for the xbox one's digital drm means we'll never be able to share or trade digital titles ever right

i wonder if we hosed that up because it seems like we're going to end up in a digital-only future regardless

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope it runs ok on console it was too demanding for my not spectacular but not trash pc at 1080p low gfx

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would assume it'll come back either mid gen or next gen when discs are just done.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

I would assume it'll come back either mid gen or next gen when discs are just done.

Nah Xbox is done with ownership completely and sony/nintendo dont care if people cant buy a used game

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

like looking back at the whole "game tied to gamertag so you can play your library wherever, just sign in; also you can share your library with friends" thing seems like it'd be pretty loving cool now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Daily check ins tho

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

is that actually onerous

like idk i've had gigabit internet for years

the future is now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

that backlash that microsoft got for the xbox one's digital drm means we'll never be able to share or trade digital titles ever right

i wonder if we hosed that up because it seems like we're going to end up in a digital-only future regardless

sudo rm -rf posted:

like looking back at the whole "game tied to gamertag so you can play your library wherever, just sign in; also you can share your library with friends" thing seems like it'd be pretty loving cool now.

i hate to break it to you but all of those really cool sounding features were almost entirely made up by people on reddit and werent actual plans. like the bizarre pic of someone sharing a single purchase with 10 people digitally was made up lol the trade in thing was something microsoft mentioned in passing later and is entirely unworkable which is why it never went anywhere. there is limited game sharing on both consoles, on either xbone or ps4 you can have two consoles use a single library.

the actual drm thing was horrific and its very good it died

also your digital purchases are tied to your gamertag? you can play your library wherever you sign in??

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Daily check ins tho

ahahahaha yeah omg how dumb is daily check ins like omg *has 5000 lovely IoT devices in their house and doesnt take issue with any of them constantly funneling data to the manufacturer*

this was a stupid argument in 2013 and its a loving stupid argument in 2020.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

ahahahaha yeah omg how dumb is daily check ins like omg *has 5000 lovely IoT devices in their house and doesnt take issue with any of them constantly funneling data to the manufacturer*

i dont have any of that sorry about your nightmare living situation op

daily check ins suck. there are still people even in places like america without adequate internet coverage. nearly everyone experiences some form of internet outage every year. this problem had also already been solved at the time and still is solved now, with long validation periods. ps+ since ps3 has obviously needed to do online validation but that validation lasts for a month. daily check in is not needed and was just a data collection device.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah hence why Microsoft is working to get internet access to those without with their Airband project.

Daily checkins are innocuous. You wouldn’t even notice it and progress shouldn’t be stopped because a minority don’t have access.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Daric posted:

Yeah hence why Microsoft is working to get internet access to those without with their Airband project.

Daily checkins are innocuous. You wouldn’t even notice it and progress shouldn’t be stopped because a minority don’t have access.

its not progress, it doesnt give you any benefit lol you can do a longer period validations with 0 issues. what is the progress here? what is the material benefit from a daily check in vs monthly?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

talking about progress like we're debating if space programs should get more funding and not an entirely arbitrary and pointless demand from a tech company

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

its not progress, it doesnt give you any benefit lol you can do a longer period validations with 0 issues. what is the progress here? what is the material benefit from a daily check in vs monthly?

Publishers signing off on the ability to digitally share assets what I assume would be why anyone would try this. Otherwise you're saying someone can pirate a title for at least 24hrs at a time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Daily check ins is such a quaint argument in 2020.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Laserface posted:

In 2013 you were 6 and screaming the N word in cod lobbies

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Publishers signing off on the ability to digitally share assets what I assume would be why anyone would try this. Otherwise you're saying someone can pirate a title for at least 24hrs at a time.

This was never a thing, please stop bringing it up.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Daric posted:

Progress such as ________

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seems like I gotta wait till TGS opening tomorrow to find out when/where I can preorder me a series X in Japan.

Hopefully they give me a special "what is wrong with you" sticker when I buy it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVVUnCWnY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

it was so you could use a disc as a digital license with the extremely large kicker that it killed used games

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Just a reminder that the guy who said something this dumb “lives like a Saudi prince”

https://www.businessinsider.com/don-mattrick-zynga-ceo-2013-7

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People were saying the unique per disc code thing was still done on all printed Bone discs, it just doesnt do anything so there is a possibility they could bring it back but I think microsoft is content to make gamepass a thing now

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

it was so you could use a disc as a digital license with the extremely large kicker that it killed used games

this was never a thing, please stop bringing it up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

thats what it was. you were going to add disc games to your account and be able to treat them like digital purchases, but in exchange publishers would have control over which titles were allowed to be resold (which wouldve translated to "none") and which you would be able to give to your friends (see above)

their own blogs outlining all of this are still up you can go find them lol u should take the L next time instead of making yourself look stupid

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

You did it wrong. Stux pointing to the stated position of xbox when they talked about having official stores for used games like GameStop. You were espousing the fan boy propaganda they dribbled before pulling everything and flipping the switch they said didn't exist.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

always on internet? what a completely absurd suggestion to me, the consumer

*goes and plays an MMO for 26hrs straight*

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

careful, if you keep swinging so hard at that man made of straw you might hurt yourself. better to keep your swinging arm in good form so you can go to bat for anotehr trillion dollar tech giant next week.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

thats what it was. you were going to add disc games to your account and be able to treat them like digital purchases, but in exchange publishers would have control over which titles were allowed to be resold (which wouldve translated to "none") and which you would be able to give to your friends (see above)

their own blogs outlining all of this are still up you can go find them lol u should take the L next time instead of making yourself look stupid

I was just poking fun at bushisms, I'm sure this was all true.

bushisms.txt posted:

You did it wrong. Stux pointing to the stated position of xbox when they talked about having official stores for used games like GameStop. You were espousing the fan boy propaganda they dribbled before pulling everything and flipping the switch they said didn't exist.

fan boy propaganda lmao idk it seems like a reasonable concern to have??? Except MS put a super aggressive policy towards it?

Does anyone currently let you loan digital games to someone? I honestly don't know.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Laserface posted:

*neighbor cuts your cable line*

Guess I’m not playing my Xbox for *checks watch* the next five-to-ten business days...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

sry lol mb

Nuts and Gum posted:

Does anyone currently let you loan digital games to someone? I honestly don't know.

probably the only thing thats even in this ballpark would eb share play on ps4 and its like, not really this at all lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Daric posted:

man this is a roller coaster of a post

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

fan boy propaganda lmao idk it seems like a reasonable concern to have??? Except MS put a super aggressive policy towards it?

It's not about concern, it's that no publisher ever was signed on. From the day MS announced the xbone until after that terrible E3, they were constantly moving their positions trying to find a way to ease the bullshit. They never gave concrete anything other than they were taking away things, which led to the absurd PS4 share video.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

zenintrude posted:

*neighbor cuts your cable line*

Guess I’m not playing my Xbox for *checks watch* the next five-to-ten business days...

lol are you loving serious?

connect to your phones wifi hotspot you loving imbecile.

you know the same phone that could achieve this simple work around in 2013.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

att blocked my phone hot spot stuff and wants 20 bux a month or something

i dont need to activate my console or anything but kinda sucked

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

lol are you loving serious?

connect to your phones wifi hotspot you loving imbecile.

you know the same phone that could achieve this simple work around in 2013.

or check this out the console doesnt have to check in every single day to provide me with the benefit of [space left blank because it was literally nothing at all]

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bushisms.txt posted:

It's not about concern, it's that no publisher ever was signed on. From the day MS announced the xbone until after that terrible E3, they were constantly moving their positions trying to find a way to ease the bullshit. They never gave concrete anything other than they were taking away things, which led to the absurd PS4 share video.

Thats all true but I don't understand what is so far fetched about a software company enacting a draconian DRM system in response to a previous generation of hardware that was hacked and experienced piracy? You said yourself they kept moving the goalpost. If their reveal was a dumpster fire why would they continue to release details that were already extremely unpopular?

I'm sorry every response I have is a question this god damned indica is not normal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i had numerous multi-day internet outages over the course of this generation, one nearly a month long (verizon fios in nj suburbs, not a complete bumfuck nowhere). made a mental note thinking how the original bone system would've sucked in those situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

arguing full throat for something that was literally pointless, provided no function, because im mad at t he idea of people not having a perfect internet connection or something, very unclear about the anger part honestly