Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The disc->digital was a solution to a problem consumers fixed for companies themselves by just skipping the disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
insane to think stux is right, and the Playstation is Too Big. Wtf is wrong with the world.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Thats all true but I don't understand what is so far fetched about a software company enacting a draconian DRM system in response to a previous generation of hardware that was hacked and experienced piracy? You said yourself they kept moving the goalpost. If their reveal was a dumpster fire why would they continue to release details that were already extremely unpopular?

I'm sorry every response I have is a question this god damned indica is not normal.

pirated games are usually not lost sales hope this helps

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

arguing full throat for something that was literally pointless, provided no function, because im mad at t he idea of people not having a perfect internet connection or something, very unclear about the anger part honestly

fair. I retract my question.

*opens snickers*

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i take my console traveling sometimes and dont have internet connection so its nice to not have to do any check ins. i think there are just better ways to combat piracy without being intrusive. the xbox one seems to have done pretty well actually, I don't think ive heard of people pirating much on it. could be wrong. another good way is having strong online features so people want to use xbox live.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

insane to think stux is right, and the Playstation is Too Big. Wtf is wrong with the world.

hes right a lot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nuts and Gum posted:

fair. I retract my question.

*opens snickers*

no that was at laserface having their weird meltdown ur good lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ethanol posted:

i think there are just better ways to combat piracy without being intrusive.

in fact being intrusive all but guarantees your game will be pirated even more, i.e. spore, the most pirated game of all time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ethanol posted:

the xbox one seems to have done pretty well actually, I don't think ive heard of people pirating much on it. could be wrong.

raises the question of whether that was the true motivation

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ethanol posted:

i take my console traveling sometimes and dont have internet connection so its nice to not have to do any check ins.

I have just learned that your 2013 phone which is guaranteed to include a WiFi hotspot should make this a non-issue.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I have just learned that your 2013 phone which is guaranteed to include a WiFi hotspot should make this a non-issue.

yeah idk if ur being sarcastic but i said like 20 minutes ago att has blocked that on my plan

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ethanol posted:

yeah idk if ur being sarcastic but i said like 20 minutes ago att has blocked that on my plan

Im joking... also I’m an imbecile.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got nothing against Stux but man that avatar drives me nuts. I'd buy you a new one but... eh, I don't even have platinum and I just allocated $500 to a 360 emulator.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
dont u dare

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Why does this thread get so heated?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Console Wars brah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
we're all just having fun

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

would you support legislation that forced digital platforms to provide used markets for your digital games or at least the ability to sell your license to someone else

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sudo rm -rf posted:

would you support legislation that forced digital platforms to provide used markets for your digital games or at least the ability to sell your license to someone else

if we're talking fantasy i would prefer an option which is entirely divorced from the concept of markets and purchasing

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

sudo rm -rf posted:

Wouldn’t it be cool if I could just give it to a friend who wants to play it when I’m done?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you can easily share xbox/ms store games withn a family, not so much with friends though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

zenintrude posted:

Wouldn’t it be cool if I could just give it to a friend who wants to play it when I’m done?

It would be cool but if they went back to those times then instead selling a copy to you and your friend they would only sell one, and shareholders demand money

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Stux posted:

if we're talking fantasy i would prefer an option which is entirely divorced from the concept of markets and purchasing

what do you mean

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

sudo rm -rf posted:

what do you mean

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Between this and the guy who had a full blown sense of ennui about the inexorable march to game streaming in the Playstation thread it's been absolute banner week for freaks of all kinds.

Console launch syndrome is in full force this year.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sudo rm -rf posted:

what do you mean

im saying if we're talking about ideals thats what i would wantt and its just as likely as legislation to make companies let you sell digital games used. and its without getting into how doing that would impact small devs to an extremely outsized degree while bigger devs would be fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shirkelton posted:

Console launch syndrome is in full force this year.

video games man. serious business. (i say that somewhat self deprecatingly)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
ahh stux " no refunds on steam " worried about small devs for some reason as if they are not all taking part on capitalism.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Celexi posted:

ahh stux " no refunds on steam " worried about small devs for some reason as if they are not all taking part on capitalism.

never have i said that, infact ive said the refund window for the majority of games should be far larger than it is currently. but its ok you can just lie if you are unable to make a coherent point.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

never have i said that, infact ive said the refund window for the majority of games should be far larger than it is currently. but its ok you can just lie if you are unable to make a coherent point.

Stux posted:

no i havnt, ive said that the 2 hours played rule as all encompassing has limitations at the fringes, typically where smaller devs reside

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao if your internet has multiple day outages 'not being able to paly video games' is like the least of your loving problems

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
going to just quote the entire post here

Stux posted:

no i havnt, ive said that the 2 hours played rule as all encompassing has limitations at the fringes, typically where smaller devs reside and there should be nuance to the policy in this instance. ive also said the same going the other way and that larger games where 2 hours might not get you into the main part of the game should have longer windows to allow people to make sure they dont have issues when the whole map unlocks in an open world game where you start in a smaller area etc.

you can just say "i like xbox more" you dont have to make up weird reasons

:)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Laserface posted:

lmao if your internet has multiple day outages 'not being able to paly video games' is like the least of your loving problems

well if they live in a failed state like america where the population is okay with multiple day utility outages.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

game free or die

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Console Wars brah

The console war ended in 2017 when xbox went to pc and nintendo went to strictly portable creating total games coverage for the consumer without buying a redundant product.

Now its all just jockeying as ms becomes an ip holding company, sony releases 3rd person dad games at an ever faster rate, and nintendo creates scarcity for digital remasters

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anybody else miss bbg

xbox stays winning

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
v glad u posted that quote so i could be reminded of this old thread title

Celexi posted:

They Both do suck, but by promoting the harmful "exclusives own on ps4" you are more or less advertising for sony.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

v glad u posted that quote so i could be reminded of this old thread title

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Laserface posted:

Yup I was expecting this post

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
whhats this gang tag for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stux posted:

whhats this gang tag for