Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Everything I know about Heroquest came from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

He's right, that gargoyle was loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rantmo posted:

He's right, that gargoyle was loving incredible.

I broke one of its wings the literal night I got the game. I was 11 and inconsolable.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Like half of that guy's channel is unboxing reviews of big tiddy vinyl statues, what

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
It really can't be stressed enough how terrible heroquest's gameplay was. It wasn't just random, it was the kind of slow grindy random that everyone quickly house ruled because the experience was just terrible as written.

The worst modern dungeon crawlers are worlds beyond HQ and anyone thinking of backing this would have more fun buying one of the cheaper D&D adventure games and playing a few rounds before they got sick of the shallow gameplay.

That one guys video is hilarious and there's a lot of nostalgia because we were kids playing with tiny plastic dudes, but save your money folks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd have paid maybe $75 tops for a premium edition HeroQuest, but I already have the old one and this costs more than Gloomhaven money.

Plus they stripped out the Warhammer elements and ugh.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a reason why the funny video about Heroquest mentions the mechanics once and it's to talk about how they are bad.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It really can't be stressed enough how terrible heroquest's gameplay was. It wasn't just random, it was the kind of slow grindy random that everyone quickly house ruled because the experience was just terrible as written.

The worst modern dungeon crawlers are worlds beyond HQ and anyone thinking of backing this would have more fun buying one of the cheaper D&D adventure games and playing a few rounds before they got sick of the shallow gameplay.

That one guys video is hilarious and there's a lot of nostalgia because we were kids playing with tiny plastic dudes, but save your money folks.

What's a good, deep adventure game in the vein of the D&D stuff?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Dragonshirt posted:

What's a good, deep adventure game in the vein of the D&D stuff?

Gloomhaven is the obvious choice these days, and the Jaws of the Lion came out recently and is a much less expensive standalone version of the game. I also like Descent, both editions, though 2E is more streamlined, as a good generic fantasy dungeon crawl. A third one is currently in the works.

There were some literally D&D branded board games from the 4E era. Somehow, apparently the Drizzt one is the best one. Though I hear the other ones aren't like, bad, just this is the best one.

Unless I've misunderstood what you mean by "adventure game".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dinosaur Island sequel, Dinosaur World is up on KS. They’ve streamlined the main game so it’s much less of a hot mess, but honestly I’m more interested in the Rawr n Write side game. Also, far fewer 90s colours this time. :mad:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Gloomhaven is the obvious choice these days, and the Jaws of the Lion came out recently and is a much less expensive standalone version of the game. I also like Descent, both editions, though 2E is more streamlined, as a good generic fantasy dungeon crawl. A third one is currently in the works.

There were some literally D&D branded board games from the 4E era. Somehow, apparently the Drizzt one is the best one. Though I hear the other ones aren't like, bad, just this is the best one.

Yeah, that was the adventure series. They're basically what people remember Heroquest being. They're shallow, fast, repetitive and you get to plonk the plastic dudes on the board and roll dice. They aren't good but they are modern Heroquest. Your only real question each turn is "how do I punch the monster in front of me?"

Descent is definitely a step up but a bit of a mess and vulnerable to rules lawyering. Gloomhaven is incredible and basically the dungeon crawler to end all dungeon crawlers.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Love the new setting for 7th Citadel but I'll need to read/watch some takes on why it's a massive improvement on 7th Continent which most folks seemed to greet with a significant "meh."

Also down for takes on Machina Arcana which, for whatever reason, appeals to my solo delve nonsense brain.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i understand that the call of familiarity and childhood is real , especially when we're all looking for whatever comforts we can in the world but legitimately looking forward to buying and owning a copy of heroquest in 2020 should be in the DSM-V for 'nostalgia brain syndrome.' please do not buy heroquest.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The_Doctor posted:

Dinosaur Island sequel, Dinosaur World is up on KS. They’ve streamlined the main game so it’s much less of a hot mess, but honestly I’m more interested in the Rawr n Write side game. Also, far fewer 90s colours this time. :mad:

I really wish they'd do something like this* with their Wasteland Express Delivery Service IP. (* - assuming this actually manages to curb any of those Hot Mess issues, of course.)

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Kingdom 2e Kickstarter is live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lamemage/kingdom-2nd-edition

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Yeah, that was the adventure series. They're basically what people remember Heroquest being. They're shallow, fast, repetitive and you get to plonk the plastic dudes on the board and roll dice. They aren't good but they are modern Heroquest. Your only real question each turn is "how do I punch the monster in front of me?"

I remember enjoying the Ravenloft one quite a bit, and being surprised at its depth.

It felt like fast play 4e, IIRC.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The one thing I remember from my few plays of the D&D board games is they were really well tuned for difficulty. We always came to the final room gasping for life and just barely won

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Eh, what the hell, backed. I'm a sucker for community based RPGs and a double sucker for legacy mechanics.

Has anyone had any experience with Kingdom 1e? How's it play?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Thanks, man, I'm definitely grabbing Jaws of the Lion. I have four of the D&D adventure series but half of the fun is trying new heroes with new gear options because the game itself is pretty simplistic. That's why I asked for deeper options.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I was gonna buy HeroQuest until it was the same thing I already own with a worse box art and plastic instead of cardboard fiddly bits.

It's 2020, and I own a 3d printer. There is no reason to pay the kind of money they are asking for this; I could pretty literally find for free on Thingiverse both the board and a proxy for every mini, up to and including options for women to play women PCs. The rules are bad, but almost certainly can be found for download at this point. And there's nothing about the minis that you can't just proxy with other minis to begin with.

Really the idea of compiling my own personalized HeroQuest set with bells and whistles is way more appealing to me anyway than giving Hasbro money.

Edited to add: Besides which you could probably find an alternative set of rules to use that are better than the very basic original rules.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wasn’t there a HeroQuest Advanced by GW they could have adapted as an optional variant?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What you do is run Heroquest as a 1 shot D&D game, but don't tell anyone it's Heroquest and see how long it takes players to realise it's Heroquest.

"You come across a room with a shoddily constructed chair. Upon closer inspection you notice that it appears to be hastily constructed from cardboard and plastic

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Infinitum posted:

What you do is run Heroquest as a 1 shot D&D game, but don't tell anyone it's Heroquest and see how long it takes players to realise it's Heroquest.

"You come across a room with a shoddily constructed chair. Upon closer inspection you notice that it appears to be hastily constructed from cardboard and plastic

Screw you I took a great deal of care assembling that plastic and cardboard chair! I was eight, and I wasn't gonna be able to afford another box for a replacement!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wasn’t there a HeroQuest Advanced by GW they could have adapted as an optional variant?

I have that. It's basically Basic Warhammer Quest. It uses Warhammer stats for the most part, but dungeon crawling. It even has some random dungeon generator so you can go through solo if you want. It really, really confused my 10yo self when I got it, so I never played it, and used the skaven minis for my Warhammer Fantasy army.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just assume that anyone who really wants a game like this already has Gloomhaven or Dungeon Saga. I do not know what beyond nostalgia could be driving interest on it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

From what I've been told it's minor rules tweaks and streamlining/errata but essentially it should be compatible with the old versions

The errata's apparently mostly to remove Games Workshop trademarks as the game was originally made in partnership with them.

Hence two of the models just being GW Chaos Warrior and Warlock models.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just assume that anyone who really wants a game like this already has Gloomhaven or Dungeon Saga. I do not know what beyond nostalgia could be driving interest on it.

Obviously the main selling point is nostalgia, but also kids exist. I think it might be a struggle getting a 10 year old to really grasp Gloomhaven, but something like this could (and did) really grab them.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Dungeon Saga was awful so I think there's still a lot of interest in a modernised/better Warhammer Quest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MollyMetroid posted:

Screw you I took a great deal of care assembling that plastic and cardboard chair! I was eight, and I wasn't gonna be able to afford another box for a replacement!

"As you try and discern the true nature of the chair you turn it over and notice large clumps of what appear to be super glue oozing out of the plastic hardened in uneven globs where the cardboard meets the plastic. In the back of your mind the thought creeps in that this is merely a gigantic prop somehow clumsily assembled by an uncoordinated giant child."

"Divining further you'd note that the child would have been around 8 years old."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"An eerie chill runs down your spine. Though the sensation is odd you know it at once, you have slighted the child."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

rydiafan posted:

Obviously the main selling point is nostalgia, but also kids exist. I think it might be a struggle getting a 10 year old to really grasp Gloomhaven, but something like this could (and did) really grab them.

Depends on what you mean by "really grasp". If they were picking something off the shelf and trying to work it out for themselves, sure I agree with you. Playing along with older siblings or a parent who was doing the heavy lifting? Personally, I go with the modern games in that situation because of just how boring HeroQuest is.

And yeah, nostalgia is the primary selling factor. My friend is pissed he can't back it from Australia because he just wants the box on his shelf next to his two copies of the original game.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Dungeon Saga was awful so I think there's still a lot of interest in a modernised/better Warhammer Quest

It certainly didn't live up to its potential, but I don't think awful is fair unless you specifically mean the create your own adventure rules which were very undercooked. I played through some of the core campaign with my group and no one had any complaints.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I found it that it was barely a game as presented. And what was there was an uninspired all versus one race game rather than anything tracing ancestry to Heroquest or Warhammer Quest.

I only glanced at the rules for making your own adventures but they didn't seem to offer much improvement

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Micro City arrived today. Lovely little box, and they jammed a lot into it. Weird to get a random package from Poland as it legit slipped my mind and they didn't send out tracking info before hand. Ah well.
Grabbed it because it looked neat and it was a cheap solo game. I'll give it a crack this weekend.

Apparently the Mayday Crokinole boards have FINALLY arrived in Australia, so should be going out very shortly. I've been legit aching to play the drat thing, and with a long weekend coming up I maaaaay host another board game day if it arrives in time.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Infinitum posted:

"An eerie chill runs down your spine. Though the sensation is odd you know it at once, you have slighted the child."

Thank you. :colbert:

I will say that yeah, if you want a dungeon crawl to play with i.e. your own 8-12 year old kids, you could do a lot worse than heroquest, particularly with some options for 8-12 year old girls in there (loving sausage fest original). It's just not worth the asking price for anyone who's looking for an experience with any real depth to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Other than being why they eventually renamed it, no.

In other news
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seriouspoulp/the-7th-citadel-explore-build-you-are-the-hero/

The followup to 7th Continent, using many of the same systems but with a new theme (post-apocalyptic fantasy) and emphases (building a Citadel and your character, sending emissaries to explore, dialogue; less of a focus on survival and die-try-again gameplay). What I've played of 7th Continent is really cool, and everything they're adding sounds great, while the stuff they're moving away from was generally what turned people off 7th Continent for those who didn't love it.

I like their tagline: Explore. Build. YOU are the hero!

Finally a game where I'm the hero!

Sarcasm aside it does look pretty cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Moon Monster posted:

I like their tagline: Explore. Build. YOU are the hero!

Mechanics from Choose Your Own Adventure, tagline from Fighting Fantasy!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They've unlocked the magnifying glass, so it's a Where's Waldo too.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

SelenicMartian posted:

They've unlocked the magnifying glass, so it's a Where's Waldo too.

The Rahdo runthrough I saw for it didn't really wow me. Trying to balance the "that's the start of the campaign; it'll deepen" feel from watching Scenario 1 with the "if the core gameplay looks enh, that's not likely going to get better" vibes. The fact that 7th Continent got so many negative reviews doesn't help. Just not confident the implementation will be anywhere near as cool as the theme makes it sound it COULD be.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone comment on Set a Watch? I see the follow up is on KS and it’s interested me enough to bookmark it for the 48 hour notice.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

The Rahdo runthrough I saw for it didn't really wow me. Trying to balance the "that's the start of the campaign; it'll deepen" feel from watching Scenario 1 with the "if the core gameplay looks enh, that's not likely going to get better" vibes. The fact that 7th Continent got so many negative reviews doesn't help. Just not confident the implementation will be anywhere near as cool as the theme makes it sound it COULD be.

I think 7th Continent is a grail game for a certain sort of player (I think I'd probably count myself among that number), but that sort is pretty specific, and it's not surprising to see people bounce off it. I think 7th Continent is extremely cool, and I'm expecting 7th Citadel to be as well, but the only reason I'd expect Citadel to work for someone who wasn't into Continent is if they were really turned off by the survival aspects/easy deaths, which are apparently de-emphasized in Citadel. And if you're watching gameplay and it's not speaking to you, I'd skip it, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

malkav11 posted:

if you're watching gameplay and it's not speaking to you, I'd skip it

If thread titles were good advice rather than inside jokes, this would be one.