Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil since the beginning has had inventory-management as a key feature. Nowadays it's not something that would frighten people off the series since A. you can expand your inventory, B. you can discard key-items that are no longer useful, C. you have a universal stash, and D. you can bag collectibles across multiple playthroughs for the sake of achievements.

What games don't playtest this feature and half-rear end it? You amass a load of crap you can't drop, you can't get any more room, the stash doesn't exist or is DLC, and the developer expects you to bag 30 missable items in the one playthrough?

The Evil Within 2 was annoying since being a linear game with numerous points-of-no-return you could easily miss any one of the 122 collectibles. Otherwise the game is excellent.

Unrelated, but DOOM was good and all but I don't feel tempted to play the sequel. After 13 long-rear end levels where you're killing demons on the red planet Mars or the red plane of Hell the whole experience blurs together. I'd take either a shorter campaign or a more diverse campaign full of shorter missions.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Doom 2020 has a lot more environments than 2016 did.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Doom 2020 has a lot more environments than 2016 did.

Inspector Gesicht's point still stands for me, I can recall more from 2016 than 2020, it's just all blurred together for me.
Made all the worse by every chapter being just 'oh yeah you're here now, oh yeah you warped over there this time.' with 0 connective tissue.
It made it all feel contextless, while on 2016 you were making progress through the facility. In 2020 you just poof in, poof out in most cases.

I do remember it feeling like I had somehow missed a game, movie, or comic or whatever when I started up 2020 though.
The feeling of 'oh, so like a game worth of stuff happened between 2016 and 2020 and they're just.... not going to elaborate much on that, huh?' was pretty frustrating.
Since I would have been all for playing through VEGA helping you fight your way out of hell.

Dragging it down: For whatever reason, Control has crashed more times when I tried to play it today, than it did during my entire playthrough of it back at launch.
Is it just really loving unstable in dx12+rtx mode or something?
(Also the HONK HONK TIMED MISSION, YOU SHOULD BACKTRACK TO A DIFFERENT REGION JUST TO KILL A GROUP OF MOOKS, SO WE CAN PAD OUT THE GAME A BIT MORE missions are still so annoying.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah if your beef was not enough level variety, they definitely did something about that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Giving Witchah 3 another try. It's really bugging me that it does the "skip ahead by dialogue line" method of cutscene skipping (which I like), but does so by giving you the "press [button] to skip" prompt every single time, like you normally get for skipping the entire scene. It gives the whole thing a feeling of unnecessary delay that would've been really easy to fix.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never got to stay at home at any point during 2020 so while I had these great plans to get through my gaming backlog I instead continued to go to the office 5 days a week

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Play at the office, idiot

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

Play at the office, idiot

I'm too low on the totem pole for that, I'm a step above entry level paper pushing :negative:

My job isn't actually essential in any way we ship chemicals for paints, but drat it they kept us open

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Lenna's Inception: The 'walls' of warp tiles in the Palace all take you back to an inconvenient location.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mamkute posted:

Lenna's Inception: The 'walls' of warp tiles in the Palace all take you back to an inconvenient location.

It's a cool idea but the maze in the palace was a huge pain in the rear end

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kushala Daora is dragging Monster Hunter World down. He's the only monster where for periods of time, your only option is to just wait until he's attackable again.

If you haven't played, he's this dragon that when he wants never stops flying, and shoots out gusts of wind that you can't get past. The flash bug item that knocks him out of the sky just stops working at some point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

Kushala Daora is dragging Monster Hunter World down. He's the only monster where for periods of time, your only option is to just wait until he's attackable again.

If you haven't played, he's this dragon that when he wants never stops flying, and shoots out gusts of wind that you can't get past. The flash bug item that knocks him out of the sky just stops working at some point.

Elderseal weapons can overcome the wind, or if you have major wind resistance, but yeah, that one was very frustrating.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games don't playtest this feature and half-rear end it? You amass a load of crap you can't drop, you can't get any more room, the stash doesn't exist or is DLC, and the developer expects you to bag 30 missable items in the one playthrough?

In Symphony of the Night, your inventory is an unsortable two-column list. Weapons, one-use spells, healing items, armor, everything. You can't sell anything, but can acquire multiple instances of the same item (at least they stack) and have like thirty daggers that do absolutely nothing but take up space.

Oh and that game had a ton of different healing items that all did essentially the same thing but we're all named different things. So you'd find a cheesecake that healed 100 points. Then you'd find a cherry pie that healed 110 points. Then you'd find ice cream that healed 80 points. And so forth. Each took up space in the inventory, and a good number of them were unique or close to it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Insect glaive supremacy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Morpheus posted:

In Symphony of the Night, your inventory is an unsortable two-column list. Weapons, one-use spells, healing items, armor, everything. You can't sell anything, but can acquire multiple instances of the same item (at least they stack) and have like thirty daggers that do absolutely nothing but take up space.

Oh and that game had a ton of different healing items that all did essentially the same thing but we're all named different things. So you'd find a cheesecake that healed 100 points. Then you'd find a cherry pie that healed 110 points. Then you'd find ice cream that healed 80 points. And so forth. Each took up space in the inventory, and a good number of them were unique or close to it.

You can sort it by type by pressing, i think it was square? One of the face buttons anyways.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Elderseal weapons can overcome the wind, or if you have major wind resistance, but yeah, that one was very frustrating.

Elderseal is such a letdown in that game. It feels like it buys you around 20 seconds tops and then the dragon just refreshes their gimmick aura. You're better off just using a weapon that kills them faster. I dunno, maybe it's actually worthwhile if you've got a group of 4 all using elderseal weapons.

And yeah, Kushala Daora has always sucked. I think in older games breaking its horns would prevent it from using its wind aura, but I don't think that's still the case (and it takes something like 70% of the fight to do anyway).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Moon Monster posted:

I dunno, maybe it's actually worthwhile if you've got a group of 4 all using elderseal weapons.

Not really. It's a short duration status effect, and just like every other status effect, the monster will build more resistance to it every time it triggers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Insect glaive supremacy

Are there other weapons?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Lol I wish kush was the only monster where this was the case, especially in master rank. there’s a reason I have over twice as many hunts with LBG as my second most used weapon.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Major wind resistance (ie windproof 5) isn’t enough for kush, you specifically need “all wind pressure negated,” not to be confused with just “wind pressure negated,” which is only found on specific hunting horns or the kush set bonus itself

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Borderlands 1 was made at the last-minute out of sticks and old parts, but I like it. It takes 20 hours to beat every quest.

The DLC takes great pains to suck. They try to attempt a humorous tone but there aren't any jokes yet. There's no fast-travel whatsoever. There's an arena mode that's a complete waste of time and a number of those dreaded fetch-quests that don't track retroactively. The base-game stands as a still-fun relic of the Brown Shooter Era, while the DLC feels like an awkward experiment not worth replaying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah outside of General Knox the DLCs for BL1 generally are just tedious. And they started a really frustrating trend of Borderlands DLCs leaving you massively over leveled and trivializing the entire rest of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Borderlands 1 was made at the last-minute out of sticks and old parts, but I like it. It takes 20 hours to beat every quest.

The DLC takes great pains to suck. They try to attempt a humorous tone but there aren't any jokes yet. There's no fast-travel whatsoever. There's an arena mode that's a complete waste of time and a number of those dreaded fetch-quests that don't track retroactively. The base-game stands as a still-fun relic of the Brown Shooter Era, while the DLC feels like an awkward experiment not worth replaying.

Dr. Ned is honestly probably the best of the bunch thanks to good atmosphere and some funny bits but that Zombie TK side quest is a pain in the rear end for sure and it does end up feeling samey since most of the time you're up against some flavor of zombie.

I think Knoxx is considered the good one soley because A) Knoxx is a fantastic character and B) if you're loot-obsessed you can infinitely farm the Armory (and Crawmerax, egh). And I guess C) it's the one that had the largest budget and overall effort put into it. In terms of actually playing it...it gets rough. The entire Lockdown Palace sequence is likely the single most poorly written thing in the entire series, which is loving saying something. Otherwise it feels like a very rough prototype for Borderlands 2.

Robo-Revolution is of course the other classic type of DLC: let's hire a third party team to cobble something together from mostly existing scraps on the cheap to help limp the the first game over the finish line while everybody waits for the sequel. I like some of the area designs but you can detect the exact point where the money started to run out.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Sep 23, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I would like the borderlands series a lot more if they just let you smash through every 'cutscene' to get back to the game.

The amount of 'hurry up and wait while we talk', long, uninteresting cutscenes and constant chatter sapped my and my coop partner's will to play 3 so much.
When your npcs consistently interrupt and talk over themselves when doing... any kind of quest- it's a good indicator that people are just talking way too loving much.
(Also the antagonists sucked and were just tedious to listen to.)
(I'm really curious just how much shorter the games would be if you just snipped out all the parts where you can't do something, because someone else is doing something and/or talking.)

At least it let me stomp around in a giant mech.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Borderlands were super in love with every character they made.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The very first System Shock had a difficulty toggle that let you turn off the plot. Multiplayer Diablo also skipped all the cutscenes.

If a game is meant to be played more than once using different classes, or be retried with additional challenges, then real-time Half-Life cutscenes should be eschewed in favor of "Hold X to Skip" Cinematics. Has Resident Evil ever gone overboard with mid-gameplay cutscenes? I think every well-regarded Capcom game favors a short, replayable campaign with as few interruptions as possible.

What are the opinions of how Hideo Kojima's formula changed?

Metal Gear Solid 1-3 are all fairly modest Die Hard titles that last ten hours and take place in the one locale. Peace Walker, Phantom Pain, and Death Stranding all favour long-rear end campaigns made of small cookie-cutter missions in an open-environment that's meant to be strictly utilitarian, no sight-seeing. The change is contentious, but one area that he's definitely gotten worse in is the gender-politics. Vagina bombs, Jesus Christ.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Sep 23, 2020

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It feels passé to still be saying this in 2020 but I feel like the problem is just getting worse over time rather than better because every game has to be a live service forever game now: can we please stop stuffing crafting and RPG lite elements and +1% Upside Down Backstab On Tuesdays upgrades to perfectly straightforward single player action games I am begging you

Dragons Dogma and the Styx games immediately come to mind

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The very first System Shock had a difficulty toggle that let you turn off the plot. Multiplayer Diablo also skipped all the cutscenes.

If a game is meant to be played more than once using different classes, or be retried with additional challenges, then real-time Half-Life cutscenes should be eschewed in favor of "Hold X to Skip" Cinematics. Has Resident Evil ever gone overboard with mid-gameplay cutscenes? I think every well-regarded Capcom game favors a short, replayable campaign with as few interruptions as possible.

What are the opinions of how Hideo Kojima's formula changed?

Metal Gear Solid 1-3 are all fairly modest Die Hard titles that last ten hours and take place in the one locale. Peace Walker, Phantom Pain, and Death Stranding all favour long-rear end campaigns made of small cookie-cutter missions in an open-environment that's meant to be strictly utilitarian, no sight-seeing. The change is contentious, but one area that he's definitely gotten worse in is the gender-politics. Vagina bombs, Jesus Christ.

Death Stranding is like 75% sight seeing

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nova69 posted:

Dragons Dogma and the Styx games immediately come to mind

Kingdoms of Amalur also has +% damage during the day/night affixes that are completely pointless and you will never, ever use. Legend of Grimrock 2 has a unique bonus that also does something similar, despite the day-night cycle being used for like...a puzzle or two and otherwise not mattering in the slightest.

I wonder if there's a specific source for that particular flavor of bonus. The only games where they begin to make sense to me are like, Elder Scrolls and Fallout and only because you're given unfettered control over time itself. And even then it just turns into an extra layer of tedium because no player is going to go "aw shucks the sun came up so my shadowed doom cleaver turned off, guess I gotta make do until nightfall".

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Sep 23, 2020

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Evil Within 2:

The cat in the level up area sounds exactly like my cat so whenever I go to level up Sebastian the cat starts meowing and I think Rutabega needs to be let out

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Evil Within 2:

The cat in the level up area sounds exactly like my cat so whenever I go to level up Sebastian the cat starts meowing and I think Rutabega needs to be let out

Similarly, I use Monster Hunter World as a podcast game so I'll have the TV turned down and sometimes I'll catch the meowing of the chef cats and think its my cat losing her mind upstairs.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Phantom Pain is all about finding neat little set pieces in the world, too.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Has Resident Evil ever gone overboard with mid-gameplay cutscenes? I think every well-regarded Capcom game favors a short, replayable campaign with as few interruptions as possible.

It's not quite a cutscene, but RE4 does have the big QTE knife fight sequence, which is really annoying to replay and you can't skip the cutscene parts, for obvious reasons.

From what I played of RE6, the opening segments of the different campaigns have a bit of walking and exposition in the beginning, so it takes a while before you get to the good stuff.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

John Murdoch posted:

affixes that are completely pointless and you will never, ever use.

[extremely vanilla WoW voice] of the Whale

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

CJacobs posted:

and 25% falling off cliffs into rivers and losing all your god drat packages.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Death Stranding is 100% hurling boxes of metals at MULE craniums and if it's not you're doing it wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Don't forget the ghosts, there's at least 30% ghosts

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

[extremely vanilla WoW voice] of the Whale

Is that you, Diablo 2?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ghosts get jars of your own blood hurled at them because gently caress you, ghost, have a biohazard.

What I'm getting at is Death Stranding is all about throwing poo poo at other poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Quick poll: did any of you kill people in Death Stranding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

Quick poll: did any of you kill people in Death Stranding?

Yes, but only in protest against there being people to kill as a game mechanic