Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Is the smart dock for phones dead? I want a USB C dock that will give me HDMI out, 2 USB and charging, but I keep finding poo poo that only works for laptops. I have a Pixel 4a.
Basically I want to see if I can not buy a Stadia controller, since I have controllers, but still play on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure if this has changed with the 4a, but google typically disables HDMI output from USB-C on their devices.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently the 8t is going to be $100 cheaper, which I find to be too good to be true even if all that changes on the phone is the slightly faster screen. If it really is $600 I might actually upgrade from my 6.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, why can't Samsung do with their phones whatever they are doing with the fingerprint sensor on the S7+. It actually WORKS.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Man, why can't Samsung do with their phones whatever they are doing with the fingerprint sensor on the S7+. It actually WORKS.

VelociBacon posted:

Wow okay so again everything seemed completely fine - then when I started using fingerprint features it crashed again. I googled around and

Trying one of the solutions now - to turn all the biometric stuff off and then back on again :goonsay:

I really hope this works although I'll be pissed not being able to use fingerprint features for my banking apps etc.

e: XDA dev forums think it has to do with the fingerprint sensor getting wet. Makes sense because this all happened a few hours after I washed the phone.

e: oh nvm I thought the s7+ had the same fingerprint thing as the s9+.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
That P5 feature list is looking sweet and certainly hits my requirements list (although one SIM slot being eSIM means I would have to switch mine over, how hard is it to do that?). Now I'm wondering what launch gently caress-up it's going to have or if Google is finally going to manage a smooth release for once. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

e: oh nvm I thought the s7+ had the same fingerprint thing as the s9+.

Whoops, I meant the Tab S7+.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Real fingerprint on the fold 2 was a big plus.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

I still really like the S10e fingerprint reader :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's a low light fold 2 camera sample with the usual "imgur is going to gently caress it up" disclaimer

Wow it really hosed it up. Looks way better lossless.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
That Pixel 5 looks great! Finally, I can replace my OG Pixel.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Vasler posted:

That Pixel 5 looks great! Finally, I can replace my OG Pixel.

I feel the same about my 2XL.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure if this has changed with the 4a, but google typically disables HDMI output from USB-C on their devices.

What about a cable that charges and has a USB A port? Does that exist?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have the Galaxy Unpacked stream playing in background. It's the "newest S20 chipset" now, instead of Snapdragon and Exynos. :toot:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That said, the S20 FE is a pretty compelling package for $699. Not a lot to nitpick there if you are fine with OneUI and the way Samsung processes photos. There's very little reason to pick up a mainline S20 device unless you just HAVE to have a glass back.

It's funny how Samsung's self own on their displays makes the value of the cheaper model better. Who cares if it's only 1080p when even your flagship $1300 device only runs at that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That said, the S20 FE is a pretty compelling package for $699. Not a lot to nitpick there if you are fine with OneUI and the way Samsung processes photos. There's very little reason to pick up a mainline S20 device unless you just HAVE to have a glass back.

It's funny how Samsung's self own on their displays makes the value of the cheaper model better. Who cares if it's only 1080p when even your flagship $1300 device only runs at that.

What's really interesting is they thought up this phone back in March...Samsung has the ability to make phones VERY quick now.

Though, we don't know how long it took for Google to make the Pixel 4a, 4a 5G, and Pixel 5 lines so maybe....?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's probably why it's a SD865 rather than SD765G.

I bet it's literally just an S20+ innards (right down to the battery) with a smaller ram chip (or even firmware gated) and a different display and shell.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 23, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I'm legit deciding between this and the OP 8T depending on how i'm feeling on specs vs price.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's probably why it's a SD865 rather than SD765G.

I bet it's literally just an S20+ innards (right down to the battery) with a smaller ram chip (or even firmware gated) and a different display and shell.

I wonder if Google will drop the P5's price down in response to this.

Sony and Microsoft played a price war...If the Pixel 5 really is $700, I could see Google dropping it to $650 or whatever just to compete. With the Pixel 4a 5G at $499, the P5 at $150 more wouldn't be too bad...it's the same phone anyway just more RAM, no headphone jack, 90Hz (smaller) screen, and the Pixel Neural Core.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I honestly think that the Pixel 5 was always going to be $649 based on what we've seen for leaked overseas pricing. Maybe this will push it down to $599, but I doubt it.

I don't really see the FE as so much a strategy for Samsung as it is "Holy poo poo, we overcommitted with our suppliers and now really need to get these components out in some fashion!"

I think the strategy will come next year when we see the S21 (or S30 or whatever) and I think it will start at like $799 for the base with flaghsip SoC, maybe $100 more for a larger size + variant that's otherwise the same, and no Ultra version and no Note but instead of a stylus enabled Z Fold.

Then they will take the A71 successor with midrange SoC, put a 120hz screen in it, and sell it for $599.

Anyways, this is my roundabout way of saying that I don't think this device will affect Google's plans for price. There's every indication that this FE device is a way to stem bleeding rather than create a truly competitive and profitable product line and Google really can't afford to try to compete with that.

In the meantime, at least the consumer can benefit. I feel bad for anyone who's bought an S20 device in the past 2 months or so. Glass isn't worth $300.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I honestly think that the Pixel 5 was always going to be $649 based on what we've seen for leaked overseas pricing. Maybe this will push it down to $599, but I doubt it.

I don't really see the FE as so much a strategy for Samsung as it is "Holy poo poo, we overcommitted with our suppliers and now really need to get these components out in some fashion!"

I think the strategy will come next year when we see the S21 (or S30 or whatever) and I think it will start at like $799 for the base with flaghsip SoC, maybe $100 more for a larger size + variant that's otherwise the same, and no Ultra version and no Note but instead of a stylus enabled Z Fold.

Then they will take the A71 successor with midrange SoC, put a 120hz screen in it, and sell it for $599.

Anyways, this is my roundabout way of saying that I don't think this device will affect Google's plans for price. There's every indication that this FE device is a way to stem bleeding rather than create a truly competitive and profitable product line and Google really can't afford to try to compete with that.

In the meantime, at least the consumer can benefit. I feel bad for anyone who's bought an S20 device in the past 2 months or so. Glass isn't worth $300.

$599 would be awesome but $650 is fair...but it's also Google so I could definitely see them thinking it's actually worth $700.

Yeah, I think this is a good device for anyone who wants an S20 or Galaxy device. If I wasn't so interested in Google's stuff, I might think about it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The better battery almost makes me want to upgrade from my 3, except I never leave my house anymore so it doesn't matter.. How soon after a new launch do Pixel prices usually drop?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

The better battery almost makes me want to upgrade from my 3, except I never leave my house anymore so it doesn't matter.. How soon after a new launch do Pixel prices usually drop?

Around Black Friday, usually. But if you want say a special promotion or color, might want to do it as soon as possible.

If you're on Google Fi, you might get a BOGO on it. The Google Store usually has a deal with the Pixel + credit or another device., They have the "Google Chromecast with Google TV" aka Sabrina aka a new Chromecast that has Android TV added but "Android TV" is now Google TV....so they might include that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Last year was the first time Black Friday deals beat pre-order bonuses.

I would also expect this year to be supply constrained based on what we've seen on the 4a so far (a phone that launch several months after it was supposed to and still got backordered for 3 weeks.) So, that may affect things with respect to prices dropping much.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

More information, this time the Pixel 4a 5G:

-6.2 in. FHD display, 60Hz, OLED. Same 2340x1080 resolution as the Pixel 5.
--Gorilla Glass 3

-Snapdragon 765G
--Titan M chip

--LTE/5G Support

-6GB RAM

-128GB storage

-Same camera sensors as Pixel 5 on back and front

-3885mAh battery
--18 watt charging via USB-C
--No wireless charging, no reverse charging

-Headphone jack

-Polycarbonate body (Pixel 5 is metal and glass)
--No IP68 certification

Price:
-Officially $499 USD and 486.42 Euro due to reduced VAT.

https://winfuture.de/news,118001.html

bull3964 posted:

Last year was the first time Black Friday deals beat pre-order bonuses.

I would also expect this year to be supply constrained based on what we've seen on the 4a so far (a phone that launch several months after it was supposed to and still got backordered for 3 weeks.) So, that may affect things with respect to prices dropping much.

Yeah, my roommate got lucky and his came earlier than expected. I'd say pick up a P5 as soon as possible if you want one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Are people still having issues with the scanner on modern Samsungs? My S10 is fine, not as fast as the old Nexus 6P but certainly better than my iPad or work iPhone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

Are people still having issues with the scanner on modern Samsungs? My S10 is fine, not as fast as the old Nexus 6P but certainly better than my iPad or work iPhone.

See thread title.

The ultrasonic sensor on their phones just utterly and completely fails to register my digit even exists most of the time unless it's damp in some way. The ultrasonic sensors hate dry sky and my fingers are chronically dry.

Something about how the one in the Tab S7+ seems to work about 80% of the time which is huge compared to the 30% success rate I have with the phone ones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Totallee is already selling their Pixel 5 case for $35 (with a coupon that drops it to $28).

https://www.totalleecase.com/products/pixel-5-case

Coupon code: PIXEL5

It ships October 15, 2020 though so I guess that's when they're expecting the device to actually launch?

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Pixel+5+case

There's more here for cheaper but I'd probably wait until the device is launched...Spigen's pretty drat good and worth the wait for them to have one up. Plus it's like $12-13 tops. :v

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pretty good fold 2 5g speeds on the train to work

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Okay, after half a day of use, these are my initial thoughts on my Z Fold 2, coming from an s20 ultra and a Pixel 4 xl before that.
Cons
-I'm forced to use Samsung's keyboard to get a split keyboard.
SwiftKey also has split keyboard if you'd prefer that.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

-Not the phone's fault but instagram doesn't go full screen
-Civ 6, the only mobile game I sometimes play, is severely cropped and basically unplayable.
Download GoodLock from the Galaxy Store if you haven't already and install MultiStar. It has a bunch of settings for multi-windows but also lets you select aspect ratios for apps.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

crazy question: my Pixel 3 just updated to Android 11, how the gently caress do I screenshot now? I used to be able to hold the power button and select it, which rocked

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Similar question, but how do I get to the app carousel view? Swiping up just goes home now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

grieving for Gandalf posted:

crazy question: my Pixel 3 just updated to Android 11, how the gently caress do I screenshot now? I used to be able to hold the power button and select it, which rocked

Should just be a button in the task switcher now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FunOne posted:

Similar question, but how do I get to the app carousel view? Swiping up just goes home now.

your poo poo got switched to gesture navigation, which sucks. go to your accessibility settings and switch it to 2- or 3-button navigation again

Helter Skelter posted:

Should just be a button in the task switcher now.

when I swipe up? is that the task switcher? I don't see anything like a screenshot

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

your poo poo got switched to gesture navigation, which sucks. go to your accessibility settings and switch it to 2- or 3-button navigation again

when I swipe up? is that the task switcher? I don't see anything like a screenshot

Swipe up and hold.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This is on a 4a, but:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

Swipe up and hold.

That's long hold to trigger. Of course.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FunOne posted:

Yeah, it's not ideal, especially if you don't know how to do it, but it's ok once you know about it. I personally find the iPad gesture more fiddly (though maybe because it's a bigger screen, I don't have an iPhone without a home button for a fairer comparison)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

FunOne posted:

They definitely added some delay here. It feels different than 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

This is on a 4a, but:

That's great, let me just take a screenshot of my home screen, the thing that's not in the app switcher.

Just use Power+Vol Down like it's always been.