Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
So i started on another bunch of death guard using the same base scheme as before with an old chestnut ink wash over white then dry brush bone over the armour panels, but its gone pinkish in places? Any tips to resolve it at all? A yellow wash maybe to bring it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I said come in! posted:

Where did you get these dudes?

Like any good miniature painter I am now getting around to painting things I bought 10 years ago. But serious answer I assume there are still some on ebay for disgusting prices.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

x-post from 40k thread

Hixson posted:

Did some custom fab work (alot of filing) on the old metal raptor models and added resin mk3 arms and pads:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Like any good miniature painter I am now getting around to painting things I bought 10 years ago. But serious answer I assume there are still some on ebay for disgusting prices.

I have surprisingly had bad luck finding them on Ebay. :saddowns: I might just not know the right keywords.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Hixson posted:

x-post from 40k thread

Plasmer glo is gud.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

I stumbled across this video today. For anyone who has a problem with shaking hands while paining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

there's a guy at my LGS who is an absolutely phenomenal painter and he has tremors. You'd never know if you looked at his absurdly beautiful

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those all look great, but drat I love that Malignant Plaguecaster espescially

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I couldn't do checkers that neat if I held my breath, ate some goji berries, and braced both of my arms on something. That's fantastic work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I couldn't do checkers that neat if I held my breath, ate some goji berries, and braced both of my arms on something. That's fantastic work.

A lot of people suggest calm breathing instead of holding your breath. It works so much better.

Also drat dude that LGS guys work is stellar. I love the harlequin wraithlord

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Slaanesh daemons playable / worth playing as a 40k faction now?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SERPUS posted:

Slaanesh daemons playable / worth playing as a 40k faction now?

Word on the net is "yeah"

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Got frustrated with my pink hue the DG were taking on post wash so till I figure out what to do figured I'd paint a palette cleanser

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Did badger change the formulation of their primers at some point? I’ve just opened a new bottle of stynlrez black and it is distinctly different in how it looks and how it even seems to spray. It’s a pain in the arse because now I’ll have to hit the things with another black through the airbrush to get the colour I wanted.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Winklebottom posted:

Had a go at Ripper Jackson. Ended up sorta... 80's?

Nice G.I. Joe Tiger Force scheme.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm pretty sure that's one of Guile's alt color schemes from super turbo :v:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless posted:

Any tips for getting the primer off Nolzur's miniatures? "Don't Buy Them"? I have been soaking a couple of orcs in everclear and toothbrushing them all day long and I've chiseled off maybe half of the paint. I don't know what the hell they are using to prime these things but it is the absolute worst - do they buy their poo poo in rattlecans at dollar general??? For minis with such fine details it's a shame they saturate them with so much paint

just thought i'd circle back around to this, the solution seems to be multiple cycles of soaking + toothbrushing in undilute LA's Totally Awesome, or as I am coming to know it personally: Los Angeles Turbopiss

It's $1 at DG + however much your time and elbow grease is worth

edit: to share something other than a mason jar full of minis in piss paint stripper, I am mostly finished with the basecoating on the assault intercessors from my Indomitus box. It took me a while to find a recipe that both gave me consistent results and didn't get hosed up in the wash phase, I have really learned a lot from this about how to paint red, including how much painting red sucks

I have more or less been following Dana Howl's Hobby Basics tutorial, adapted for blood angels instead of fantasy space marines. I have been using a three stage zenithal (black > grey > white) from rattle cans, evening it out when necessary and then base coating with glazes. I tried a lot of different paint, but ultimately I got the best results from using P3 Red Ink cut 50/50 with glaze medium. It took four or five coats to actually get coverage which is kind of a bummer* but the colors just seem to pop a lot more, it's so thin, and when dunked in a dip wash it shaded down to the exact color I wanted. They're gonna need a bit of cleaning up, of course, but I've still got a lot of detail work and touchup to do regardless so I will fix the mess while I go

I'm not usually big on full on dunking the minis but I feel like these came out really good with minimal work from my process, which was to just shove them into a jar of wash on the end of my paint handle, then dunk the absolutely saturated mini twice in my water cup, before wiping away the excess with a fat brush. YMMV, I am using a home made wash here. I like nuln oil and agrax a lot when I'm making space skeletons or filling in details on a gun/staining metal but I have not liked my results with commercial washes at all when it comes to washing larger areas, I do not know what they use but they all seem to leave an unpleasant film behind that I really don't like. I seem to be able to avoid this with my wash by just using a little more water, but if I dilute nuln oil too much I may as well not be applying it :shrug:

* i know an airbrush would make all of this a non issue... some day!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 24, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mirthless posted:

just thought i'd circle back around to this, the solution seems to be multiple cycles of soaking + toothbrushing in undilute LA's Totally Awesome, or as I am coming to know it personally: Los Angeles Turbopiss

It's $1 at DG + however much your time and elbow grease is worth

You could also try Dawn Power dissolver, it’s a lot more expensive than LATA, but if you value your time and effort enough...
I’ve only used it on Polystyrene and metal minis but it should be safe for all plastics.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
I'm not sure how done I am with this Farseer/Spiritseer...

His face/helmet is... bland to me. My army is red and black mains. I wanted a slight red tinge to his over coat/robes, but I couldn't get it to work without it looking like burnt orange, or dirt. The gloss you see is spiritstone Red, dry brushed, which removes the colour in the paint and leaves that gloss. It's super reflective (the back picture- those orange/red streaks in the middle of his back is the gloss reflecting the orange belt). The hands aren't what I wanted, but I'm not steady enough to get Tess on the...finger line....armour...things, and not get it between them (wanted that to stay black).

Over all, my favourite is his spear blade. I based black, did one coat of Tess and had my ah-ha moment with it. It's suppose to come across as "magic" swirling inside the blade. I did three coats of Tess alone the edges for a pop.

The gem on his helmet is Tess with waystone (I think that's the green one?) applied only to the edges around it.

I friggin' hate Eldar helmet eyes. The last picture doesn't do the job I did on them justice. I used spiritstone, so some angles are odd like that and others you can see the gloss/glow apply properly.

But I'm meh on it because I haven't varnished him yet and might change the faceplate anyways.

Also lost in the pictures is the glow I got from the runes in the rubble at his feet.

I'll leave him over night and take a look with fresh eyes in the morning.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
xposting from 40k thread

Eej posted:

Did a Skorpekh Destroyer as a colour test for my Necrons and I'm pretty happy with it. I think I can go wilder on my other ones now that I have a visualization of where I want colours to go and I'll probably mask the sword handles and go really wild spraying the power swords next time.

Yes, I'm mad I missed the mold lines before priming.

Really liked having orange ink on hand to bring back colour when I was messing around with trying to create colour gradients on the power swords. Maybe I'll grab some yellow ink and just do the swords entirely with those two colours for my next few models. I'm not sure the safety of cadmium yellow though? I assume it'll be fine if I'm already wearing my respirator and I do my airbrushing outside due to lack of space indoors.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Quite pleased with how this bust turned out, I can see myself doing these for a bunch of different chapters for some fun practice with different colours.

The dude who made the stl files for this bust goes by jg_3d_printing on instagram. I messaged him and he graciously sent the files to print (I guess he had it on thingiverse for a while but it's since been removed.

Also forgot to crosspost this from the 40k thread:

quote:

Trying to free up some painting space so I've been working on projects that are mostly done and just need to be finished up. Last night was this handsome fellow:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are those fingerprints on the trim of the shoulderpads? that' is such a sick idea for linework

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
3D printer topography lines.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoptartsNinja posted:

3D printer topography lines.

aw man I got excited. Anyway i'm gonna try that next thing I paint and see how bad it comes out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

aw man I got excited. Anyway i'm gonna try that next thing I paint and see how bad it comes out.

Put down a layer of gloss varnish and touch it while it's still tacky to give it texture, then carefully and lightly drybrush over it after it's fully dry.

I can't promise that'll look good but if you're trying for an intentional fingerprint texture that's how I'd get one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Put down a layer of gloss varnish and touch it while it's still tacky to give it texture, then carefully and lightly drybrush over it after it's fully dry.

I can't promise that'll look good but if you're trying for an intentional fingerprint texture that's how I'd get one.

that sounds way smarter than putting a finger into some paint then strategically wiping just enough off before touching the model.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Something I've wanted to paint for ages and I'm working on:

Not looking forward to the sword, it's a pretty much an oval rectangle.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Red Herring posted:

Something I've wanted to paint for ages and I'm working on:

Not looking forward to the sword, it's a pretty much an oval rectangle.

Is that a Dire Avenger Exarch or a diff model? Looks great. I have a box in the mail to me right now.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is that a Dire Avenger Exarch or a diff model? Looks great. I have a box in the mail to me right now.

Thanks. It's Asurmen, the Dire Avenger Phoenix Lord.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished my last two kobolds, these are green! As usual, alongside my old green kobold and my green dragon cultist.

The sorcerer's cloak didn't print quite right, but it wasn't worth reprinting. He looks fine from the front and the mini was pre-supported so I'm not sure I'd get a better result without adding supports myself (I'd rather spend that time painting).

I've also finally completed the set!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well that's done for this base color. *Turns model just a few degrees* Holy poo poo how did I miss painting the entire half of a leg?

Repeat that at least twice a model. Any one else suffer from this or is my web designer brain scrambled from too much thinking of two dimensional objects to remember that real things have multiple sides?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LifeLynx posted:

Well that's done for this base color. *Turns model just a few degrees* Holy poo poo how did I miss painting the entire half of a leg?

Repeat that at least twice a model. Any one else suffer from this or is my web designer brain scrambled from too much thinking of two dimensional objects to remember that real things have multiple sides?

Not as often as twice a model, but it does happen to me too sometimes! Particularly the inside/back of the models lead leg.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how about spending hours neatening up your model while you assemble it, diligently filing down every line and sprue mark and filling every gap with green stuff, then immediately after priming you see theres a loving appalachian sized mould line running down the dude’s arm or whatever

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

This, but after you base coat and once you slap the wash on. Boom, line city.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeah I had that on the sslyth I'm painting right now. Thought I got them all and then after I primed I saw them just popping up out of nowhere on the arms.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After wanting to do this for years I finally finished painting my first miniature. It worked out much better than I feared, but I have much to learn. It's a very fun hobby though and I'm glad I tried it out. :3

I tried going for a more muted blue gray similar to space wolves, but it turned into more of a ultramarine I guess. He's a bit vain and likes his gold, and got his left boot stuck in a puddle of oil, but overall I'm really happy for a first attempt.

Going to start with some reaper minis next!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

how about spending hours neatening up your model while you assemble it, diligently filing down every line and sprue mark and filling every gap with green stuff, then immediately after priming you see theres a loving appalachian sized mould line running down the dude’s arm or whatever

I've been working on some CMON Baratheons and they're especially bad for this. Their faction color is yellow which I guess is a hard color to get in their plastic so they settled on one that looks like they've been carved from butter. Missing mold lines seems totally inevitable no matter what kind of lighting I use to look for them. Nice minis otherwise, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anyone make 28mm Cobra soldier heads and AK-47 sets?

Preferably in STL for resin printing?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

moths posted:

Does anyone make 28mm Cobra soldier heads and AK-47 sets?

Preferably in STL for resin printing?

https://www.reptilian-overlords.com/product/enemy-heads-collection/
You're in luck with the first one.
No idea about AK STL's but there's plenty of 3rd party retailers who have their own variant at least.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I bashed together a Destroyer Lord because my old one was garbage.

And finished a Royal Warden

and a couple of Cryptothrals

It's been a productive couple of days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adding the XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit to my Tau army. :hellyeah: This is one of my absolute favorite looking WH40K models, although they are supposedly a mid-tier Tau unit, at least in 8th edition.