Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The S7+ is OLED, but the smaller S7 is LCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ah, well. were i unnecessarily wealthy i'd probably pick up the s7+ as a dedicated emulator and video device and still use my ipad for everything else.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had an OLED Tab S3 and it was quite nice but the LCD in the S7 appears quite good. Dead Cells high res unlimited fps with an 8bitdo controller feels even better than on my switch.

Moonlight game streaming also looks great but native games like PUBG mobile don't look nearly as good as on my ipad pro.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also games like Baldurs Gate 2 EE look a bit blurry with the scaling unfortunately.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BurgerQuest posted:

I had an OLED Tab S3 and it was quite nice but the LCD in the S7 appears quite good. Dead Cells high res unlimited fps with an 8bitdo controller feels even better than on my switch.

Moonlight game streaming also looks great but native games like PUBG mobile don't look nearly as good as on my ipad pro.

I’m sure they’re fine like the iPad screens are fine; I just specifically the oleds for reading. I might pick up an older note, or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One big difference between the capabilities of the screens between the S7 and S7+ is only the OLED is HDR certified.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'd like to see two similar screens of approximately the same calibre and size of these mobile devices, one running hdr stuff and one not. i'm sure it's noticeable, but i'm curious quite just how noticeable it's going to be in the sorts of places i use a tablet to watch stuff (i.e., not at home).

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The OLED screen also has a material percentage of folks getting an awful green tint at low brightness levels. Its undeniably the better screen though. The S7 screen is lovely though.

I mostly read books in the dark on my S10+ in google play books nightmode and its excellent with the OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There has not been an OLED screen released in the past in the past year that hasn't had green screen complaints at low brightness. It almost always gets patched out. S20 series had it, iPhone had it last year, OP8P had it, Note 20 had it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I haven't bought an Android tablet in ages, but casually keeping track tells me Samsung has at least two slightly older OLED models (S6 and S5e) which are more affordable than that S7 OLED model.

Given that they aren't horrible at updates anymore, either of those would be alright for reader stuff.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean I loved my oled Tab s3 so I dont see why not. The hardware is solid, just android could be better overall for tablets.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

I haven't bought an Android tablet in ages, but casually keeping track tells me Samsung has at least two slightly older OLED models (S6 and S5e) which are more affordable than that S7 OLED model.

Given that they aren't horrible at updates anymore, either of those would be alright for reader stuff.

oh, excellent point. to be honest, i didn't even think to look at their older stuff.

i do feel like the ipad minis will be getting mini-LEDs soon, which will probably help a ton with this even if not quite as well as an oled display, so i haven't been wanting to make any big purchases. i'm assuming those models either run android 6+ or can be updated via 3rd party roms? seems like it's going to be a while before ios lets in cloud gaming apps (it's unstoppable imo) so the only other thing i'd probably want to do is stream xcloud stuff.

edit: oh, these appear to all be 10+ inches, which isn't gonna work for reading, unfortunately. still cool options, though.

lol at the s6 still being $900 cad though.

edit edit: incidentally i found and charged my old kindle hdx 7 3rd gen tablet. i'm honestly kind of shocked at just how good it still seems to work (if you don't mind fire os, which i don't really like). very smooth and responsive, still.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ok sorry for making GBS threads up the android tablet thread but I also found my old touchpad with webos and cyanogenmod still installed. i forgot how good the speakers are, especially for a tablet of this vintage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Apparently you can put Android 9 on it, ha

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Tab 5e is what I'm trading in for the S7+. I did really like it, but I got so spoiled by high refresh rate displays I found myself not using it as much because it was too jarring to go back and forth (which is why I went with the Tab S7+). The S5e doesn't do S-Pen though, so if that's your thing you need to go to the S6 or S6 Lite (which isn't oled).

IF they release an iPad mini that has a higher refresh rate display and USB-C, it would be hard to say no to it for couch browsing. I'm getting used to the heft of the Tab S7+, but it it is a bit unwieldly. It does work better in landscape and fortunately the extra stuff that Samsung has baked in for multi-window works pretty well even if it does feel like an extra layer on top of Android rather than a cohesive part of it.

I do still use it in portrait from time to time, but I'm still getting used to how to hold it in that orientation and have it not be fatiguing. Obviously, many of these issues wouldn't exist for the smaller Tab S7. I have to say though, I have no idea how anyone really uses the largest iPad Pro which is even heavier and larger than the Tab S7+.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Tab 5e is what I'm trading in for the S7+. I did really like it, but I got so spoiled by high refresh rate displays I found myself not using it as much because it was too jarring to go back and forth (which is why I went with the Tab S7+). The S5e doesn't do S-Pen though, so if that's your thing you need to go to the S6 or S6 Lite (which isn't oled).

IF they release an iPad mini that has a higher refresh rate display and USB-C, it would be hard to say no to it for couch browsing. I'm getting used to the heft of the Tab S7+, but it it is a bit unwieldly. It does work better in landscape and fortunately the extra stuff that Samsung has baked in for multi-window works pretty well even if it does feel like an extra layer on top of Android rather than a cohesive part of it.

I do still use it in portrait from time to time, but I'm still getting used to how to hold it in that orientation and have it not be fatiguing. Obviously, many of these issues wouldn't exist for the smaller Tab S7. I have to say though, I have no idea how anyone really uses the largest iPad Pro which is even heavier and larger than the Tab S7+.

I just almost never use it in one hand. It's hardly fatiguing to use it on the lap or a table.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The use case of "tablet on a table" (aside from using it to play media somewhere I don't have a TV) is one I've never really intersected with. If I'm sitting down at a table other than my desk (which already has a computer) to do something computing related, I'm just going to use my notebook. It's not really like that's a situation that comes up too often either anyways.

That's always the fun argument that comes up when people talk about Android vs iOS tablets. "iOS is better to get work done!" (to be clear, I'm not calling out anyone specific about this)

Uh...what work? Outside of artists who use a tablet like that to draw, what 'work' is being done by the average person? I have to do my work on a work issued Lenovo that work controls and dictates how it it is used. The average person isn't some freelance tech blogger that has to pound out a quick article about a trade show in a hotel room before they run to the next keynote.

My personal devices are just used to message, gently caress around on the internet, and watch media content. I fully admit that something like the S7+ is an extravagance. I'm basically buying the display at that point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The use case of "tablet on a table" (aside from using it to play media somewhere I don't have a TV) is one I've never really intersected with. If I'm sitting down at a table other than my desk (which already has a computer) to do something computing related, I'm just going to use my notebook. It's not really like that's a situation that comes up too often either anyways.

That's always the fun argument that comes up when people talk about Android vs iOS tablets. "iOS is better to get work done!" (to be clear, I'm not calling out anyone specific about this)

Uh...what work? Outside of artists who use a tablet like that to draw, what 'work' is being done by the average person? I have to do my work on a work issued Lenovo that work controls and dictates how it it is used. The average person isn't some freelance tech blogger that has to pound out a quick article about a trade show in a hotel room before they run to the next keynote.

My personal devices are just used to message, gently caress around on the internet, and watch media content. I fully admit that something like the S7+ is an extravagance. I'm basically buying the display at that point.

Ok? I mean you’ve invented an argument here to defend how you use tablets. This comes up periodically and all I can think is that the person lacks imagination - just because you don’t get it doesn’t mean others don’t.

For what it’s worth, almost anyone who doesn’t do computer touching but needs computery things can probably do most of what they need on an iPad. There’s a big difference between IT jockey and freelance writer (which is also work, not that you seem to approve). And for that matter, you can use either OS to just remote into a proper desktop if you need it, meaning I only need to bring the iPad if I’m heading out somewhere. So I have a thin tablet and a pocketable keyboard if I need it, it sits on the table. If I’m done with work or just piddlefartin’ around, I can pull it into my lap and draw or do puzzles, or read comics. All of this stuff is better on a bigger screen.

Frankly until recently I haven’t enjoyed doing big writing work on either because android and iOS both suck gaping rear end at text selection. iPads have gotten way better with good trackpad support tho.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 23, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mediaphage posted:

For what it’s worth, almost anyone who doesn’t do computer touching but needs computery things can probably do most of what they need on an iPad.

Or a fire tablet, or a smartphone even.

And you mistake my tone. My point was the BOYD in a work setting outside of your phone might as well not exist and most people have to do their work on a corporate issued device unless you are some sort of freelancer (which is perfectly valid, but niche segment.) I know zero people across a wide range of industries that has a choice in work device beyond mac or PC (if they have even that) and the most any BOYD mobile device can do outside of that is access email.

These companies have whipped up this frenzy around these devices as "productivity" machines, putting out flashy ad copy of minimalistic desks with a tablet/keyboard combo as how work is done in 2020 when in reality it's done with a 2 year old T480 with an asset tag hooked to an external monitor managed to within an inch of its life with group policy and security software.

That's why I always laugh when they have these reviews testing the "viability" of these tablets as your only device exclaiming "I wrote this very review on it!". We passed that viability on a personal level years ago once smart phones got good enough and we are nowhere near approaching that when it comes to work devices because most industries are have a strenuous level of security governance and aren't equipped to let devices like these into the environment.

I get the same chuckle with the "creator" laptop segment right now as if there are just loads of people editing 4k footage in Adobe Premier on a regular basis. They are overrepresented in reviews because they are aspirational devices. If I just buy this $1700 notebook I can launch my new career as a youtube star! I'm in no way going to use it just to check my bank statements or order stuff from Amazon.

I applaud the people who have interesting creative hobbies that can put these tools to good use on a regular basis, but the whole industry is mostly based off of a collective lie we tell ourselves about a lifestyle that fits these tools.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Maybe. It really depends. The iPad has a lot of good software on it that just flat out doesn't exist on other platforms. That's not to say that they're useless for productivity, I just think they're less applicable (barring the obvious you-could-just-use-a-thin-client-word-processor-and-email setups).

I really want to pick up a surface duo to replace the ipad for trips to the park or whatever when I don't use my ereader, but gently caress they're expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I want the Surface Neo. To me, that seems like an ideal device.

When you get into thin client territory, it's hard to argue anything but a chromebook makes sense there. Both RDP and Horizon are well supported as a Android app on ChromeOS.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Personally, I want the Surface Neo. To me, that seems like an ideal device.

When you get into thin client territory, it's hard to argue anything but a chromebook makes sense there. Both RDP and Horizon are well supported as a Android app on ChromeOS.

i'm interested in the neo to be sure, but i specifically want something pocketable that lets me do more than a phone. i just don't think foldables are there yet, so i really like how well built the duo is. i wouldn't be using it as a phone, like ever, so almost all of the complaints are mostly irrelevant for my needs.

incidentally toshiba was way ahead of the curve; i for sure remember playing with their dual-screen windows (7?) laptop at a pepcom event forever ago.

i brought up the thin client explicitly because of your mention of clean workspaces. i find chromebooks frustrating to use for anything besides web browsing / other web stuff, to be honest. they're great for that, though. i would never use one as a replacement for a tablet, they're just different.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

when in reality it's done with a 2 year old T480 with an asset tag hooked to an external monitor managed to within an inch of its life with group policy and security software.

Hahaha drat this is too real. Agreed 100%.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Or a fire tablet, or a smartphone even.

And you mistake my tone. My point was the BOYD in a work setting outside of your phone might as well not exist and most people have to do their work on a corporate issued device unless you are some sort of freelancer (which is perfectly valid, but niche segment.) I know zero people across a wide range of industries that has a choice in work device beyond mac or PC (if they have even that) and the most any BOYD mobile device can do outside of that is access email.

These companies have whipped up this frenzy around these devices as "productivity" machines, putting out flashy ad copy of minimalistic desks with a tablet/keyboard combo as how work is done in 2020 when in reality it's done with a 2 year old T480 with an asset tag hooked to an external monitor managed to within an inch of its life with group policy and security software.

That's why I always laugh when they have these reviews testing the "viability" of these tablets as your only device exclaiming "I wrote this very review on it!". We passed that viability on a personal level years ago once smart phones got good enough and we are nowhere near approaching that when it comes to work devices because most industries are have a strenuous level of security governance and aren't equipped to let devices like these into the environment.

I get the same chuckle with the "creator" laptop segment right now as if there are just loads of people editing 4k footage in Adobe Premier on a regular basis. They are overrepresented in reviews because they are aspirational devices. If I just buy this $1700 notebook I can launch my new career as a youtube star! I'm in no way going to use it just to check my bank statements or order stuff from Amazon.

I applaud the people who have interesting creative hobbies that can put these tools to good use on a regular basis, but the whole industry is mostly based off of a collective lie we tell ourselves about a lifestyle that fits these tools.

Hell of a good post and totally agree. *pats lovely dell bricktop that took 6 requests to get IT to put basic tools like putty and notepad++ on*

Productivity indeed.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I recently got a Tab S4 from work and bought the keyboard cover so I could use it for grad school and study "on-the-go" (which, in the Covid-19 era, means my kitchen table, living room couch, etc) rather than being at my PC but I realized I basically just gravitate towards my PC whenever I'm really trying to be productive.
I definitely thought the whole "productivity machine" story was appealing but it's just not that great (for me) in practice. That said, it's definitely a great media device though.. and I actually like using it in DeX rather than tablet mode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I successfully installed the Google Play Store on a couple of older Fire tablets (Android 5.1 based) but when I tried doing it to a brand-new Fire HD 8 Plus (Android 9,) I get as far as the initial "Sign in" screen for the Store but that green "Sign in" button does nothing when tapped. Anyone familiar with this being an issue? Like I said, I just did the same procedure on other devices with no issue.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

I successfully installed the Google Play Store on a couple of older Fire tablets (Android 5.1 based) but when I tried doing it to a brand-new Fire HD 8 Plus (Android 9,) I get as far as the initial "Sign in" screen for the Store but that green "Sign in" button does nothing when tapped. Anyone familiar with this being an issue? Like I said, I just did the same procedure on other devices with no issue.

Did you run the zillion system updates through the Fire settings - that usually takes quite a while

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Did you run the zillion system updates through the Fire settings - that usually takes quite a while

Kind of, yes; this tablet appears to be up-to-date. One thing I didn't mention is that this particular tablet can't register with my Amazon account, and Amazon CS couldn't figure it out, and the identical, brand-new replacement they sent me also has the same issue. I'm assuming this is an issue on Amazon's end, because both tablets were brand-new and I've never had an issue registering Amazon devices other than this specific model. I don't think that would have an impact on installing the Play Store, however, especially because:

I've just tried this same procedure with a 2019 HD 10, which runs basically the same version of Fire OS, also Android 9-based. This one is connected to my Amazon account with no issue, and yet is exhibiting the same issue with not being able to pass the "sign in" screen. So, it's not just an issue with the HD 8, and for whatever reason I've only been able to get the Play Store running on much older, outdated Fire tablets.

I also tried using the same versions of Account Manager and Services Framework that were successfully installed on the older Fire 6 & 7 tablets (i.e. made for Android 5 max) to rule out an issue with newer versions of that software, with the exact same result. It seems like maybe there's an issue with getting the Play Store running on the latest Fire tablets, counterintuitively.

Ultimately, that means that while the HD 10 is still usable as it has access to Android apps from Amazon's store, the HD 8 Plus is basically useless because it can't connect to either (it was going to be returned when I decided to try getting the Play Store running as a last-ditch effort.) Even if the underlying Google software was installed and functional and I could side-load apps like Youtube, dealing with frequent manual sideloaded app updates is way too much effort to keep a current Android device running. :(

UPDATE: I got it working on both devices by using Amazon Fire Toolbox. I had it uninstall then reinstall the Google packages; it either worked because it installed specific other versions of those packages, or perhaps because of the installation order. The two guides I consulted that worked for the older tablets insisted that you had to install the packages in the following order: Account Manager, Services Framework, Play Services, and finally Play Store, whereas the toolbox installed "Framework, Services, Manager, Store." Maybe the installation order changed between significantly different versions of Android, whatever, I don't care at this point as long as it works. I did notice that the Play Store version (17.x) is way older than the ones I had tried (22.x) although the very latest version is the one running on the old tablets! Also I'm not going to bother comparing versions of the other packages because if this is as simple as using the Toolbox from now on then I don't need to know the details.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 3, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Yeah there's different files you have to use for different models of the tablets - if you google the model name and year, you'll usually find the specific links to the files you need on XDA or wherever. You can't just use the same 4 links on every tablet.

Glad you got it working!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well I know that the versions of those packages have to be appropriate to the Android OS version, but that really only applies to the Account Manager and Services Framework because the other two continue to support as far back as like Android 4.1. As I wrote, I did try different versions manually but that didn't work, so either I needed very specific versions of the packages or the installation order changed.

It's a shame that the Fire Toolbox doesn't support the old HDX tablets that I have, though, because those had decent SoCs (SD 800/801) and great displays (7/9" at FHD+ resolution.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Fire HD 10 is $80 for Prime Day, if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Thanatosian posted:

Fire HD 10 is $80 for Prime Day, if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Can you still sideload the Play Store on those things?

edit: nvm I didn't read the posts before yours.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Whats the best android tablet I can get for under or around for 200?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Knowing the use case would help, but honestly my low cost "android" tablet recommendation is probably going to be the Lenovo Chromebook Duet. It runs android apps fine and full chrome makes it a ton more useful.

It's a bit more at $279-$299, but it comes with a keyboard and stand too out of the box.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Spacegrass posted:

I still stand by this, more or less:

Atomizer posted:

10" Android tablet chat:

The current Fire HD 10, when on sale, is probably the best of the current cheap Android 10" tablet options. The SoC is actually more performant than similar devices, and as long as you can deal with not having stock Android, you can still get the Play Store on the device, as mentioned in this thread. The "Fire OS" thing is its biggest downside, but other than that it's perfect for streaming video and browsing.

The Lenovo Tab M10 Plus is probably the best all-around option if you do want stock Android, and there are options from 2/32 GB at $150 to 4/128 GB for $250, meaning there's a Fire HD competitor around the same price point but a respectably-equipped model for a modest increase in price. Other than that, build quality is nice, and it has rather thin-for-a-tablet bezels, which comes with both upsides and downsides (namely, portability, and grip-ability, respectably.)

Finally, Walmart's current house-brand, "onn.," has a 10" Tablet Pro, a buffed version of last year's entry-level tablet options, which is comparable to the above options at a $130 price. The downsides are the lack of an oleophobic screen coating and seemingly limited availability, and the requirement to find them in-store rather than have one shipped (at least in my experience.)

The Fire HD 10 is still a great choice if you use the Fire Toolbox to add the Play Store. They just released a new model for 2021, but the 2019 version is almost as good, and the 2017 version is surprisingly usable (I use one of these primarily for Youtube on a daily basis and it's perfect for that, with the cheap optional wireless charging dock.) You can still regularly find the 2017 models on Woot for well under $100.

That Lenovo tab or whatever its current replacement is, is still a solid choice for a "true" (i.e. "native," not running FireOS or anything like that,) Android tablet from a known brand.

The Walmart tablets remain surprisingly good, cheap alternatives, with little bloatware and running recent versions of Android.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Spacegrass posted:

I recently got a Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) 10.4", 3Gb RAM and 64Gb rom (plus microSD slot) for 204€ on Amazon.es. I wasn't too thrilled by the Lenovo or FIRE HD10. Its weakest point is that it only has 3gb of RAM but, for pdf reading with ReadERA app and netflix/prime video. It has four speakers and the screen is pretty decent. CPU is a SD662, more than enough for media consumption.

Samsung has been rolling Android 11 on them since late April.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Guillermus posted:

I recently got a Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) 10.4", 3Gb RAM and 64Gb rom (plus microSD slot) for 204€ on Amazon.es. I wasn't too thrilled by the Lenovo or FIRE HD10. Its weakest point is that it only has 3gb of RAM but, for pdf reading with ReadERA app and netflix/prime video. It has four speakers and the screen is pretty decent. CPU is a SD662, more than enough for media consumption.

Samsung has been rolling Android 11 on them since late April.

Does it have any sensors that allow it to auto-wake/sleep when a case is opened and closed? I got my kid the 2019 version and it's really nice except for the lack of auto-wake/sleep and it only has speakers on the bottom. It sounds like the newer model fixed the latter issue.

edit: wait, did the Tab A7 drop the front facing camera? That seems like a pretty big oversite in the era of Zoom calls if so.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does it have any sensors that allow it to auto-wake/sleep when a case is opened and closed? I got my kid the 2019 version and it's really nice except for the lack of auto-wake/sleep and it only has speakers on the bottom. It sounds like the newer model fixed the latter issue.

edit: wait, did the Tab A7 drop the front facing camera? That seems like a pretty big oversite in the era of Zoom calls if so.

My A7 2020 has magnetic sensors for auto-wake when you open the case and it has face-unlock (yes, it has front camera). Model is SM-T500.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Ah, they put the camera on the long side. The bezels are so small and I didn't see a camera in the normal place, so I completely missed it. Sounds like a pretty great tablet in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

A7 64GB is tough to beat in that price point (costco pretty regularly sells it for $199 with a 64gb sd card, the 32gb gets down to $150). You can get a Lenovo tablet down around $200 regularly, but just have to accept that Lenovo probably won't update it past whatever android version it ships with.