Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

Part of me feels that if you really can't rock the boat too much in your stories because you're working around the movies, you may as well do fart wedding and vader using the force to mess up Luke's podracer

Not totally related but the old EU was initially built on the back of the aftermath of ROTJ whereas the end of ROS just honestly seems like such a dead end. It even has the Alice in Wonderland/Labyrinth "should you need us" ending where it's not even clear whether Rey is really going to stay in that world (other than her having the gold lightsaber)

e: what could really happen though other than looping back to 7? Rey will train jedi and the republic will come back, both will collapse and someone new will arise to set it right

I mean, to be fair, anything they want. Rey could go on to have whatever adventure any author wants her to have. I'm not an author and am not creative at all, so don't ask me for any ideas, but it's completely open ended, so Rey has the galaxy ahead of her and a lightsaber, so she could do literally anything a good author comes up with. Work in sequel trilogy characters like Poe and Finn, newer EU characters like Sinjir, or even older characters like Ahsoka if they feel like it, or don't and make up completely new characters.

Keep in mind, I am not expecting any of this to actually happen. But what they should do is tell someone like Claudia Gray, "Do whatever you want."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think there is any patience from disney for books that aren't more or less synergistic with whatever new thing they're pushing elsewhere. There's no air for a theoretical post sequel trilogy rey series, though even if there were it would inevitably end up dumpstered when the sequel era comes around again because no one on the film side is willing/able to read. Even the only counter-example I know of, the new rogue squadron style book, seems like a mistimed synergistic attempt with the upcoming game in hindsight

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3uH4Xw4Xo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, to be fair, anything they want. Rey could go on to have whatever adventure any author wants her to have. I'm not an author and am not creative at all, so don't ask me for any ideas, but it's completely open ended, so Rey has the galaxy ahead of her and a lightsaber, so she could do literally anything a good author comes up with. Work in sequel trilogy characters like Poe and Finn, newer EU characters like Sinjir, or even older characters like Ahsoka if they feel like it, or don't and make up completely new characters.

Keep in mind, I am not expecting any of this to actually happen. But what they should do is tell someone like Claudia Gray, "Do whatever you want."

There's no "momentum" is the problem. At the end of RotJ the characters still had goals and aspirations and a setting that was not in ruins that they could pursue those in. It made it easy to imagine the things the characters might get up to and why they would want to get up to them. And in 1983 we had every reason to believe the Galaxy was not cyclical, the characters and setting would be changed by the events of the movies and evolve. After RoS there's nothing. everyone is dead, everything is destroyed, so there's nothing the audience may want to see "shake out" and we know the universe will default back to Fascists. But most importantly what characters are still alive have no driving force. We've said it a lot in this thread how the sequel characters are painfully empty of motivation. There's nothing to see Rey, Finn, or Poe do because they don't want to do anything. Readers don't care to see how the sequel trio would react to whatever event happens in a book because we've seen they don't and didn't react or grow when exposed to things. They're less characters than gudgin conceits by the execs because they haven't figured out yet how to make a movie consisting solely of action septettes without any characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

They're less characters than gudgin conceits by the execs because they haven't figured out yet how to make a movie consisting solely of action septettes without any characters.

And not for lack of trying!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Often when people talk about their ideas to improve a movie, you get inane ramblings, but the Sequel Trilogy is so bad that many people in this thread have casually tossed off cooler and more interesting ideas than anything we got. That in itself is kind of amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The kind of thing you get when you screw up basic storytelling to such a massive degree while treating every movie as a trailer for the next one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

nemesis_hub posted:

Often when people talk about their ideas to improve a movie, you get inane ramblings, but the Sequel Trilogy is so bad that many people in this thread have casually tossed off cooler and more interesting ideas than anything we got. That in itself is kind of amazing.
It's not a good movie, but it's a pretty good jumping off point for the Age of Rebellion campaign that I'll eventually run.

I just discovered that it is Canon that the state of affairs between the New Republic and the First Order was called a "cold war."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's nice to see Chuck Wendig go from someone I respect (for his work on horror roleplaying games) to another annoying Twitter liberal D-list celebrity pundit. I'm sure the money's good.

What did he even do while at White Wolf? I remember his name being in a lot of credits but I have no idea what he wrote and if it holds up.

The World of Darkness is kind of and odd beast politically. It varies a lot from book to book how reactionary/libera/anarchist/hippie/whackjob it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He worked on Demon the Fallen and Hunter the Reckoning back in the day, but most of his work has been on Vampire the Requiem and Hunter the Vigil in the new World of Darkness. The new WoD doesn't really display the confused New Agey liberal politics of the original.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

New WoD is very black pilled, when you think about it. It kinda goes with the John Carpenter vibes it's going for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
STAR WARS

Episode XIII: You Will Not Be Saved

I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jewmanji posted:

It was experimental and jury-rigged until we found out that Mandalorians apparently keep carbon freezing chambers in their ships for transporting people. Boba Fett complained about the nature of the facilities and the risk to his bounty.

It was on-screen dialogue in ESB, watch the drat movies.

e. shoulda known how beaten I'd be

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

mllaneza posted:

It was on-screen dialogue in ESB, watch the drat movies.

e. shoulda known how beaten I'd be

I don’t know what you’re talking about or why you’re upset.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

STAR WARS

Episode XIII: You Will Not Be Saved

I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live! I Live!

Pretty much.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

This poo poo actually makes me sad. Give Alden Ehrenreich some credit, or at least accept that the character could look a little different. I know it's just for fun, though.

The Bee posted:

I thought The Force Awakens was a good yet overly safe movie, and it'd be up to the sequels to bring the new era to greatness.

I thought The Last Jedi was a very interesting but dissonant movie, and whether it'd end up loved or hated would depend on how the last movie picks up what it put down.

Then Rise of Skywalker happened.

I think if anything, being a trilogy somehow made these three movies worse. How does that even happen?

Exact same except I loved TLJ right away, and still love it, but it's definitely made worse by being in this trilogy. TRoS just tanked everything.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hey guys I’ve been reading up and it sounds like the Skywalker Saga 4K set is a pretty mixed bag? Anyone have it and can advise whether or not it’s worth picking up? I already know about maclunkey, I’m inquiring more about the picture quality.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLccJOMTX0

Lmao

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

man nurse posted:

Hey guys I’ve been reading up and it sounds like the Skywalker Saga 4K set is a pretty mixed bag? Anyone have it and can advise whether or not it’s worth picking up? I already know about maclunkey, I’m inquiring more about the picture quality.

Best picture quality you'll get for any of the movies (even the prequels).

What I don't get is how a scan of the Theatrical versions for the originals aren't commercially available as at least a separate option in the year of our Lord 2020.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lucas keeps them in his belly like the blue girl from the fifth element. You’ll have to dig em out when he’s dead

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lucas has always been vehemently against studios and other corporations disrespecting an artist's work. He even testified in congress that it was barbaric for the copyright holder of a film to alter it against the original creator's wishes. I'm sure that whatever contract he signed when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney prohibited them from releasing any version of his movies other than the ones he specifically wanted released.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Lucas keeps them in his belly like the blue girl from the fifth element. You’ll have to dig em out when he’s dead

Reading this just injected the visual of George Lucas doing the blue lady's opera performance into my brain. loving thanks for that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Too bad, it's canon.

He's just about to go onstage, right after the Mon Calamari sperm ballet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Make your dreams come true

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Wasn't he buying destroying prints of the originals?

Like, good lord. The scene with Greedo and Han is so loving awkward now. There's an obvious glitch that makes it look like poo poo and Lucas just doesn't care that he's destroyed the film in all aspects.

Not only that, but he's destroying the unaltered originals that don't have the problem of looking like poo poo.

He has a serious mental illness.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Like, good lord. The scene with Greedo and Han is so loving awkward now. There's an obvious glitch that makes it look like poo poo and Lucas just doesn't care that he's destroyed the film in all aspects.

Not only that, but he's destroying the unaltered originals that don't have the problem of looking like poo poo.

Lucas is doing what brings him joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHyStDZ3_U

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don’t know how it applies to what you’re quoting, unless you’re saying that being a troll brings him joy, but as a recovering alcoholic, that video means a lot to me, so thanks for linking it.

It may seem like a simple concept, but some of us have a hard time with the difference between pleasure and joy, as he describes it here.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 24, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Caring about star wars is a mental illness. It's not as though the original carer can get out unscathed

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Totally! I heard that Richard Marquand had the last copies and Lucas murdered him for it!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Stumbled on a little callback in the prequels. In episode 4 Obi-Wan plays up his ignorance, in episode 2 he tries to hide it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Almost seems coincidental; a hallmark of a cunning adventurer is to know when to act dumb and when to act smart. But it is fitting either way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In the OT (hell, even in just the first movie) several of Obi Wan's famous bits involve lying or admitting he was lying. The first time we see him using the Force is to lie to Stormtroopers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In the OT (hell, even in just the first movie) several of Obi Wan's famous bits involve lying or admitting he was lying. The first time we see him using the Force is to lie to Stormtroopers.

Is it? You think that noise he made to scare off the Tusken Raiders was natural? (Whatever version you’re watching.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thrawn527 posted:

Is it? You think that noise he made to scare off the Tusken Raiders was natural? (Whatever version you’re watching.)

I dunno, maybe? It's been given a bunch of inconsistent explanations.

Doesn't really change my point though since it'd still be an instance of Obi-wan using the force to trick people.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZyLiIaZY4

Sounds natural to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I dunno, maybe? It's been given a bunch of inconsistent explanations.

Doesn't really change my point though since it'd still be an instance of Obi-wan using the force to trick people.

Does come to mind that of characters using the Force, we see the Dark Side used for brute force and intimidation, while the Light Side used for trickery and bluffs. The overall theme is that the Light Side favours a gentle touch, subtlety and discretion. And of course, its ultimate ability is to treat death as just a change of habits and removal of limits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And then the sequels came out and it can cast heal heavy wounds, bless, and resurrect

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The Force gets new upgrades in almost every Star Wars movie, so while the newer upgrades may be not the best, the sequels weren't setting a weird precedent.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

And then the sequels came out and it can cast heal heavy wounds, bless, and resurrect

Magic Missile does do 1d4+1 points of force damage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mean in the official Episode 1 visual book, one of the weird dudes on the Jedi Council is stated to be able to use to Force to breathe fire.