Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A real doozy popped up in the home improvement subreddit today. Like I’m certainly an amateur myself but holy poo poo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/ixlz2y/diy_beginner_i_attempted_to_do_my_own_laminate/

https://imgur.com/gallery/lyX03IE

I feel bad for this guy but jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

quote:

I’ve been obsessing over all the laminate flooring installation videos, and figured that I was ready
And as soon as he hit one small problem he threw all that information out the loving window and just went balls out stupid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m confused, how does the narrow end not “fit properly”? It’s flat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
digging that rustic look

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I can't even laugh, we're getting ready to put the same flooring down and this is a nightmare scenario to me.

I mean I've so far displayed a modicum of competence but I'm not tempting any LVP gods if they exist

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
There's a follow up thread to make that guy feel better that also had some great content. Makes me feel a lot better about myself.
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprov...tm_source=share

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fallom posted:

I’m confused, how does the narrow end not “fit properly”? It’s flat.
On some brands, especially cheaper ones, it can sometimes take a bit of force to get the tongue and groove on the end of each board to lock in. My guess is he was afraid to put enough oomph into it, figured he must be doing something wrong, and came up with..... This.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slugworth posted:

On some brands, especially cheaper ones, it can sometimes take a bit of force to get the tongue and groove on the end of each board to lock in. My guess is he was afraid to put enough oomph into it, figured he must be doing something wrong, and came up with..... This.

Even worse... It sounds like he *was* doing it right for two runs but decided it was too loud because he has attached neighbors.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I got my drywall all mudded and sanded, and walls painted. What an awful, terrible, gross job that was. Mostly looks good, but there's a little bit of tape bubbling up that I didn't notice until painting. Oh well. Next up: waiting for ~75 st ft of vinyl plank to show up on craigslist for real cheap so I can have a floor.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not totally sure if there's a better thread for this, but hopefully this at least gets me started.

I moved right at the start of last winter into a house in a very snowy area: the town averages about 200 inches per year of relatively wet, heavy snow, and it's not at all uncommon for that to come in big storms that drop 4-5 feet or more.

Last winter we just paid for snow removal service, because we had enough other things to deal with at the time that weren't figuring out best snow removal strategy. But over time that'll add up to quite a bit of money if I'm paying someone to do it every year, and I don't generally mind doing it myself (grew up in a different snowy area).

It seems like the right move is a walk-behind snowblower: I don't think I can justify spending more on something bigger, and it'd be nice to be able to use it to clear my decks as well.

Almost everyone here has a Honda of some sort, everyone I've talked to has said it's the only good option for the snow we get, and in particular the tracked models rather than those with wheels.

I've got a fairly long driveway (about 100 feet plus a parking area behind the garage), and folks I've talked to have recommended at least the 928 (9hp, 28"), but I'm wondering whether or not I should bump up to the 1332 (13hp, 32").

1332 is a couple hundred more bucks, and is of course bulkier which might make it more of a chore to get it onto the deck(s), and needs more space for storage. On the other hand, I'm not really short on storage space and the spec'd snow clearing rate is almost 50% higher; I'm certainly not averse to spending a little bit more to make things go a good bit quicker and easier in years to come.

Does anyone have direct experience and have any advice?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's a lot of driveway, and is that a truck? At what point does it make sense to just be the plow guy?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You could be the plow guy I saw one morning on a run after a light snow, he was clearing his driveway with a remote control truck :3:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It is a lot of driveway, but that photo was taken before I bought the house. I do have a truck (2014 F150), but I'm not terribly interested in that option. I've got no desire to be "the plow guy", there are plenty of those already and I have no interest in being one. As mentioned I would like something that can also clear my decks, and the truck is also one of our daily drivers that my wife frequently uses to drive the kids around. We'd rather not drive around with a plow on it all winter, or deal with taking it on and off every time it snows, and navigating the plow around the parking area between the garage and deck while getting the snow where I want it to be seems like it would be tricky.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Steve French posted:

It is a lot of driveway, but that photo was taken before I bought the house. I do have a truck (2014 F150), but I'm not terribly interested in that option. I've got no desire to be "the plow guy", there are plenty of those already and I have no interest in being one. As mentioned I would like something that can also clear my decks, and the truck is also one of our daily drivers that my wife frequently uses to drive the kids around. We'd rather not drive around with a plow on it all winter, or deal with taking it on and off every time it snows, and navigating the plow around the parking area between the garage and deck while getting the snow where I want it to be seems like it would be tricky.

Do you have a riding lawnmower? you can get plows for some of them. I don't think you are in the position to get 1 machine to do everything you want.

For the decks, they sell battery powered "snow throwers". Ryobi makes one which I may pick up for my wife to use this winter. It's from Lowes and with the battery is about $250. She is to afraid to use the cub cadet 24" 2 stage snowblower we have. My property/driveway isn't nearly as huge as yours, but if you go with a snowblower, i would suggest a 3 stage one. My next snowblower will be a 3 stage.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Steve French posted:

The landscaping thread probably has all kinds of advice to offer on this subject.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Steve French posted:

Not totally sure if there's a better thread for this, but hopefully this at least gets me started.

I moved right at the start of last winter into a house in a very snowy area: the town averages about 200 inches per year of relatively wet, heavy snow, and it's not at all uncommon for that to come in big storms that drop 4-5 feet or more.

Last winter we just paid for snow removal service, because we had enough other things to deal with at the time that weren't figuring out best snow removal strategy. But over time that'll add up to quite a bit of money if I'm paying someone to do it every year, and I don't generally mind doing it myself (grew up in a different snowy area).

It seems like the right move is a walk-behind snowblower: I don't think I can justify spending more on something bigger, and it'd be nice to be able to use it to clear my decks as well.

Almost everyone here has a Honda of some sort, everyone I've talked to has said it's the only good option for the snow we get, and in particular the tracked models rather than those with wheels.

I've got a fairly long driveway (about 100 feet plus a parking area behind the garage), and folks I've talked to have recommended at least the 928 (9hp, 28"), but I'm wondering whether or not I should bump up to the 1332 (13hp, 32").

1332 is a couple hundred more bucks, and is of course bulkier which might make it more of a chore to get it onto the deck(s), and needs more space for storage. On the other hand, I'm not really short on storage space and the spec'd snow clearing rate is almost 50% higher; I'm certainly not averse to spending a little bit more to make things go a good bit quicker and easier in years to come.

Ariens has a selector that you can use to pick a snowblower: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-blower-selector
I don't think that you want to be "the guy who has a plow", I think you'll end up being asked to do clearing for neighbors. IMO, you'd be best served with a good-sized blower.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is that a bus?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Probably an RV

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What constitutes a "remodel" for the purposes of permitting, generally?

My locality has it listed as something that requires permits along with plumbing and electrical work on branch circuits, but how far does that go down? Do they expect permits for swapping out an outlet or a sink?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Some Guy From NY posted:

Do you have a riding lawnmower? you can get plows for some of them. I don't think you are in the position to get 1 machine to do everything you want.

For the decks, they sell battery powered "snow throwers". Ryobi makes one which I may pick up for my wife to use this winter. It's from Lowes and with the battery is about $250. She is to afraid to use the cub cadet 24" 2 stage snowblower we have. My property/driveway isn't nearly as huge as yours, but if you go with a snowblower, i would suggest a 3 stage one. My next snowblower will be a 3 stage.

I don't have a riding mower, no. I live on an acre, which would seem to justify buying one, except that pretty much all the moisture that happens here is in the winter, so I've had no problem keeping the lawn that I do have under control with a self-propelled push mower. If we decided we really wanted more lawn and wanted to invest in irrigation/etc, that would probably change.

I've considered a smaller snow thrower for the deck, but wanting to clear the deck is only one of several reasons I'm not inclined to go the plow-on-truck route.

As mentioned, this photo is from before I bought the house. So none of that is my stuff. But it's an RV.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Steve French posted:

I don't have a riding mower, no. I live on an acre, which would seem to justify buying one, except that pretty much all the moisture that happens here is in the winter, so I've had no problem keeping the lawn that I do have under control with a self-propelled push mower. If we decided we really wanted more lawn and wanted to invest in irrigation/etc, that would probably change.

I've considered a smaller snow thrower for the deck, but wanting to clear the deck is only one of several reasons I'm not inclined to go the plow-on-truck route.

As mentioned, this photo is from before I bought the house. So none of that is my stuff. But it's an RV.

Maybe buying a riding mower is still the best option. hear me out...there are always tons of used ones on facebook marketplace for fairly cheap. Even if you just use it for plowing, used ones are cheaper than a brand new snowblower. With such a long driveway, a riding mower with a plow would go quicker and easier than having to go back and forth with a snowblower, especially in the cold.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you got 4-5 feet of snow at once like he said happens sometimes wouldn't that preclude a riding lawnmower with a plow? like the snow would be higher than the top of the mower? I'm from the south and don't know much though...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

If you're talking about your standard riding lawn mower (i.e. <$4000; what you'd need for an acre), it's generally not a good idea to mount a plow to it. I know they sell them, but typically the transmissions aren't built to be pushing/pulling heavy loads. That and traction will be an issue with little cutting-grass tires.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
They make snow blowers that mount to the front of lawn tractors, that's what I assumed was being suggested, not a plow. If you want a small plow vehicle an ATV is a much better choice but unless that happens to be a hobby of yours is otherwise useless.

If you really get that much snow, and that's a crap ton of snow, I'm not sure either option above is going to be adequate anyways, at a certain depth many methods just stop working well, the small plows and snow blowers the above use don't work well once you get past 2' of snow.

I live in the north and don't know if I've ever had to clear 3+ feet of snow even once personally and few people live where that could be called "common", you're probably best off doing what others nearby in the same conditions have been doing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I am fairly confident that a honda snowblower of some size will be adequate. They're pretty much ubiquitous around here. (And resale value is insane). When I say that we get big storms that drop 4-5 feet or more, I mean over the course of the storm, not that I'll necessarily have to clear an accumulation of 4-5 feet.

I believe this is about the most we got overnight this past winter:

I was mainly seeking advice from folks with direct experience with snowblowers of a similar nature, in terms of whether there are disadvantages/advantages to one size or the other that I might not yet be thinking about.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I don't know if you looked, but a 13hp 2-stage honda is nearly 300lb. You aren't getting it on that deck.

With that, I'm going to second getting one of those electric power shovels for the deck. It won't handle that much accumulation, but if you get to it before it accumulates too much it'll be fine. A million times better than a shovel. It won't get down to the ground, but it'll get the bulk and you can go back over it with a shovel if you really need it clean.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Elem7 posted:

If you really get that much snow, and that's a crap ton of snow, I'm not sure either option above is going to be adequate anyways, at a certain depth many methods just stop working well, the small plows and snow blowers the above use don't work well once you get past 2' of snow.

I live in the north and don't know if I've ever had to clear 3+ feet of snow even once personally and few people live where that could be called "common", you're probably best off doing what others nearby in the same conditions have been doing.
What you do in my experience is go out and clear it during the storm so it doesn't accumulate more than you can handle at once. It's especially great when it's an overnight storm so you set an alarm for 4 am and go out and clear the driveway, then you go back to bed, then when you wake up there's another 2' of snow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I live in a snowy area most 2 stage snowblowers work well. I've had a lovely old tecumseh engine one. I've had an okay craftsman one. Just get something that is a decent sized self propelled 2 stage and enjoy life. Wider is better if you want to do less passes.

You will still need to shovel your Deck unless you make a ramp.

You just plan on slowly blowing and keeping up with it during storms. Also I've used a snowblower to clear snow a few inches higher than its blades it's slow going but do-able.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

I don't know if you looked, but a 13hp 2-stage honda is nearly 300lb. You aren't getting it on that deck.

With that, I'm going to second getting one of those electric power shovels for the deck. It won't handle that much accumulation, but if you get to it before it accumulates too much it'll be fine. A million times better than a shovel. It won't get down to the ground, but it'll get the bulk and you can go back over it with a shovel if you really need it clean.

tater_salad posted:

I live in a snowy area most 2 stage snowblowers work well. I've had a lovely old tecumseh engine one. I've had an okay craftsman one. Just get something that is a decent sized self propelled 2 stage and enjoy life. Wider is better if you want to do less passes.

You will still need to shovel your Deck unless you make a ramp.

You just plan on slowly blowing and keeping up with it during storms. Also I've used a snowblower to clear snow a few inches higher than its blades it's slow going but do-able.

A ramp was exactly the plan. Fully aware that I'm not just going to lift any of those snowblowers up steps (and I'm not sure that I would bother for that particular deck in the photo, the main one I care about is larger, on the other side of the house, and with a much shallower and wider set of steps up to it). I managed to keep the decks clear last winter by hand, and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, so I'll play it by ear and if it turns out to be too much of a pain to use the full size blower I'll consider a power shovel or deck blower. As I mentioned, there are plenty of other reasons besides possibly clearing the decks with the blower that I don't want to go the truck + plow route or tractor routes.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
A power shovel is $150.

You're never going to haul a 300lb snowblower up to your deck through the snow/mud, no matter how nice the ramp is.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Totally willing to believe that. The driveway clearing is the more pressing concern just because I need to decide soon what to get before things start to get scarce; I have no problem with throwing a bit more money at a power shovel if it is the right move but that's also a decision I can make later. At any rate that motivates me more towards the larger blower, since if I'm only ever using it for driveway clearing then bulk is less of a concern.

To be honest part of me would really love to justify a truck plow or a small/lawn tractor with a snowblower attachment, because I love toys, but I just don't think I can. Truck mounted plow seems a poor options for the reasons already stated and I don't think I have enough other need for a tractor to go that route either.

Folks I talked to locally have indicated that a larger snowblower should be fine, just narrowing down exactly which larger size is best for me. Thanks for all the input

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

every day in home ownership is a new adventure

today's adventure is that my windows quote is significantly higher than i expected

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Deviant posted:

:same:

This weekend I'm removing my front entry door to restore it (it's original to my 79yo house and needs a lot of TLC) and learned if I wanna change the hinges out to nickel it's gonna cost me $67. I made the decision to swap all the brass hardware for nickel in this house so now I can see I'm gonna spend like a grand just on hinges and knobs and strike plates, gently caress.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sirotan posted:

:same:

This weekend I'm removing my front entry door to restore it (it's original to my 79yo house and needs a lot of TLC) and learned if I wanna change the hinges out to nickel it's gonna cost me $67. I made the decision to swap all the brass hardware for nickel in this house so now I can see I'm gonna spend like a grand just on hinges and knobs and strike plates, gently caress.

Yeah, the first company i quoted wants $11,000 for 10 Siminton 9800 windows, including my front picture window.

Gonna get another quote soon

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BonerGhost posted:

What constitutes a "remodel" for the purposes of permitting, generally?

My locality has it listed as something that requires permits along with plumbing and electrical work on branch circuits, but how far does that go down? Do they expect permits for swapping out an outlet or a sink?

Most don't, but you are at the mercy of your locality. Here's the exemption list for my area--swapping a breaker or receptacle/switch does not require one.

quote:

Portable motors or other portable appliances with factory installed cords ( Must utilize factory cord and plug assembly)

Painting, floor covering, cabinetry, or interior trim work

Temporary decorative lighting (Must utilize factory cord and plug assembly to existing electrical receptacle suitable for exterior exposure)

The reinstallation of a switch or receptacle (Must be in the same location)

The replacement of a circuit breaker or fuse (Must be the same rating and in the same location including main breakers under certain conditions)

Low voltage electrical (Must operate at less than 25 volts and is not capable of supplying more than 50 watts)

Stopping leaks in a drain, soil, waste, or vent piping (Does not include pipe replacement)

Replacement of toilets (In the same location)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Deviant posted:

today's adventure is that my windows quote is significantly higher than i expected

Well always get multiple quotes, but curious what percent off you were, 100%?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

Most don't, but you are at the mercy of your locality. Here's the exemption list for my area--swapping a breaker or receptacle/switch does not require one.

How nice of them not to require a permit for painting.

It's interesting when you really dig into the exclusions...it becomes obvious that it's largely a money grab. Replacing a circuit breaker or switch/receptacle is just as likely to start a fire if done by a moron as running a new circuit, especially considering most DIYs wouldn't take on running a new circuit without some basic understanding and research.

I'm not sure how you can stop anything but a trivial (loose connection) leak without replacing some pipes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

falz posted:

Well always get multiple quotes, but curious what percent off you were, 100%?

I had expected closer to about half that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

I had expected closer to about half that.

what was your picture window replacement cost and waht did you assume for that? I always figure picture windows are $texas. I have 2 in my house.. one will be betting removed since it's in a bedroom and the view of the police station parkign lot behind the house isn't really worth a picture window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

tater_salad posted:

what was your picture window replacement cost and waht did you assume for that? I always figure picture windows are $texas. I have 2 in my house.. one will be betting removed since it's in a bedroom and the view of the police station parkign lot behind the house isn't really worth a picture window.

I knew it was gonna be more, but just in general everything was more than I expected (home ownership.txt)