Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, an infused +10 dagger with dark weapon or element of choice is plenty. And as always, dark orb and hail hit like trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I gave up on farming Loyce Souls :negative:

Drop rate is abysmal and it got boring fast.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is it too much to ask that Sinh stay on the loving ground? Or did I walk past Hawkeye Gough and he needs to put another arrow in it?

Edit:

Spoke too soon I guess.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 14, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sinh is the best dragon fight in the series.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Sinh is the best dragon fight in the series.

:agreed:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What the gently caress is wrong with Sir Alonne's hitboxes? Every time I dodge his lunge attack I get teleported to the end of his sword, is it the size of a drat schoolbus?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grab attacks have always been bullshit in fromsoft games. Maybe lower your equip load so you can get more distance out of your dodge rolls?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That's how FromSoft grab attacks work. If you're in the hitbox during the animation and without the protection of iframes or something similar, you get teleported into the grab attack. Doesn't matter if it's your center of mass or your pinky toe, if you get hit you get teleported.

So what's going on in your particular case? The animation probably sticks around longer than you think, at least until the dark aura fades IIRC. Dodge into Alonne and to his left/your right, which will minimize the number of frames on contact between you and the animation. (That last bit is another FromSoft truism.) If your Agility is lower than 99 by some oversight also work on that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hitboxes have been bad on fromsoft games but are especially bad in dark souls 2.

Especially if you came from the first dark souls, and that one had immaculate hitboxes. From human enemies anyway, you can't really tell with the slime enemies or treeants OR mimics other than they have a long windup.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nah DS2 has some very tight hitboxes to the point that phantom range doesn't exist and that you can miss fist weapon attacks by inches if you're not real close. DS1 on the other hand has some sloppy poo poo that will sometimes extend feet outside the model if you're fighting the Gaping Dragon or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NGDBSS posted:

Nah DS2 has some very tight hitboxes to the point that phantom range doesn't exist and that you can miss fist weapon attacks by inches if you're not real close. DS1 on the other hand has some sloppy poo poo that will sometimes extend feet outside the model if you're fighting the Gaping Dragon or whatever.

Some top tier trolling right here

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

All the soulsborne games have awful grab hitboxes. What fucks up a lot of people in DS2 is that the player hurtbox doesnt have any leniency if an attack clips your toes, so theres a lot of situations where i-frames run out in the middle of the roll, the swing tickles your feet, and you lose half your health. And considering a lot of first time players dont know about agility, the i-frames tend to run out mid-roll and hitboxes get blamed (rather than the unintuitive stat system)

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 16, 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Player weapon hitboxes on the other hand are exact to the models in DS2 while DS1 and DS3 give them extra range to alleviate problems with the inherently bad depth perception in 3rd person games, which is why you see people complain about phantom range all the loving time in DS3

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The answer is simple, Allone is a duel fight so they wanted to recreate the authentic FromSoft PvP experience

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BUG REPORT: alonne drifted across the floor before doing three swings halfway across the arena and I died immediately

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Djeser posted:

The answer is simple, Allone is a duel fight so they wanted to recreate the authentic FromSoft PvP experience

If you beat Alonne without getting hit he sends you a message saying “fuking hacker get good”

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

skasion posted:

If you beat Alonne without getting hit he sends you a message saying “fuking hacker get good”
So that's what the Simlish is supposed to mean when he commits seppuku.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

skasion posted:

I just soloed Sir Alonne. So overleveled that I could use the zweihander with a 100% phys shield and still get longrolls.

Got beaten so many times that the knights in the area before the gate started going extinct. Then I got a lot easier when I found out about the bird ring.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Any advice on the Gank Squad? Summon/solo?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

I recommend summoning if at all possible. I'm sure it's possible to kill them solo (and I think I might have? I'd have to check the footage) but it's a pain, plus the area is designed for co-op anyway.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

axolotl farmer posted:

I'd go solo unless you're summoning someone who knows what they're doing. The basic strat is to bait the two non-archers, then sprint past them to wail on the archer and take it out first. There's also a possible cheese strat you can try if you're so inclined.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've killed them solo multiple times. What you have to do is bring a lot of time. You can drop into the watery part and have only Havel and the dualwielder follow, the bow dude stays on top. Then you rush him and hit once or twice, while the other two are getting hung up on fall animations + corners. Once the bow dude is dead, you have to separate the other two. Either Havel does a big attack and is stuck in recovery for a bit - then you can hit the other guy - or the dualwielder is animation locked into a combo, and you can attempt to hit Havel. Take your time! But at least it's only two now!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, I soloed them on my last playthrough, though I think on a prior one I might have used an NPC phantom or two. It can be time-consuming but playing defensively is the way to go, even when it's just two of them. I didn't focus on any one particular one of them, just whoever i could get into a corner for long enough to get a couple of hits in, so by the time I killed one of them I'd made some progress on the others already.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I can't seem to get back into this game. I know I used to love it. But the enemies are on swivels, always tracking me with wide sweeping attacks. I have enough stamina to dodge a 3 attack combo and attack once. Enemies that take 3-4 hits I find myself out of stamina and face-tanking and this sucks. This is not the way to play dark souls. I died so much on the chariot executioner I genocided all the enemies in the level. :eng99:

If I'm having this much trouble early on I don't know how I'll ever manage the harder parts of the DLC. I started as a sorcerer, put 1 point in ATN and then dumped everything else into STR and INT. Probably should have gone with the min STR/DEX for a modest weapon and done a balanced build instead of <10 in VIG/END/VIT/ADP. I'm like a glass cannon minus the cannon part.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sorcery is a pretty rough start in DS2. Kind of like DS3, you really want a maxed out staff and 50 INT (and soul greatsword because it whips rear end) before you can feel confident. So it’s around the castle that you really start feeling powerful. Also, buff melee dude is a much more forgiving character type for re-memorizing encounters after not playing for a while. DS2 loves gotcha encounters where you think you’re fighting one or two guys and then five or six more guys rock up. It’s good to be resilient for poo poo like that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Summon the NPC Phantoms and you can backstab them to death because they'll be fixated on your allies.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

axolotl farmer posted:

Always Be Kiting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Grabs in dark souls would look better in general if they not only had tighter hitboxes, but also moved the enemy to meet the player's position rather than moving the player to meet the enemy's position.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
From needs to let us grab the enemies and throw them. I want a variety of takedown and grapple options

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Get DrinkBox Studios on the line, they know how to make a game where you can just grab and throw and piledrive everything. :iia:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

From needs to let us grab the enemies and throw them. I want a variety of takedown and grapple options

You should play Dragon's Dogma, you can chuck foes off of cliffs and climb big foes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sanctum posted:

If I'm having this much trouble early on I don't know how I'll ever manage the harder parts of the DLC. I started as a sorcerer, put 1 point in ATN and then dumped everything else into STR and INT. Probably should have gone with the min STR/DEX for a modest weapon and done a balanced build instead of <10 in VIG/END/VIT/ADP. I'm like a glass cannon minus the cannon part.

You're having trouble because you've literally not leveled up your HP or stamina, or ADP which impacts your i-frames. Put some points into them.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Sorcery is pretty good in DS2! Just keep boosting your INT, level up your staff, and imbue it with magic to get the most out of it. Make good use of Magic/Great/Crystal Weapon, too; you get lots of casts so there's no reason to hold back on them. An infused dagger buffed with magic is fast and deals damage well above its weight class.

Sorcery's biggest issue is that it's boring. There's what, eight variants of Soul Arrow? And most of the non-soul arrow spells are either useless, or they're locked up in the back half of the game. The utility spells are nice, but most have item equivalents that will save you from wasting a precious spell slot.

Hexing is a little better, but gets screwy with the spell list getting split between implements. If you go staff only, Dark is basically a better Sorcery, but you only use like four spells (tho you get most of those spells in the beginning, so you're a beast basically as soon as you can talk to Felkin)

Miracles were great (maybe a little too great) until most of the damage spells got debuffed.

Pyromancy is OK and has some pretty interesting spell effects, but the bread and butter spells are really slow and will often straight up miss enemies if you're not at the right range.

In conclusion, magic in dark souls is a land of contrasts

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Summon the NPC Phantoms and you can backstab them to death because they'll be fixated on your allies.

This worked extremely well. Thanks! :tipshat:

Now on to Ponyville and the Kittens!

e: Forgot about Darklurker. Hope I have enough effigies.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Welp, I have just beaten all bosses in all Dark Souls games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

axolotl farmer posted:

(big idiot who sucks voice) uhh what about the ancient dragon

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Congrats! Just last night I wrapped up DS2 for the first time as well. I had Lud and Zallen, the King's Pets as the final one and they were such a pain in rear end just to go from the bonfire to the boss.

I still have DS3 to go through before I can say I beat all Soulsborne bosses.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Haven’t played Bloodborne, think I’ll get that when I get a yearning. Also haven’t played any DS as a mage/pyro yet.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Demon's Souls is pretty good if clunkier than Dark Souls but more importantly I got it working on RPCS3 so if you want What If Dark Souls But Slightly Harder to See you could try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Djeser posted:

Demon's Souls is pretty good if clunkier than Dark Souls but more importantly I got it working on RPCS3 so if you want What If Dark Souls But Slightly Harder to See you could try that.

? Demons souls is not very hard at all. I love the game but man it's a cakewalk especially after playing every other one