Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hatty posted:

Are we all posting videos of us being bad at Mario?

https://twitter.com/YesterdayIsSuck/status/1308879080838901762?s=20

what the gently caress is even going on here with all these weird colorsplats and lights and poo poo, christ this looks awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Len posted:

I miss demos because that's probably where it's gonna be cheapest but i don't know it my frankenshit computer can run it :(

it ran great on my old rear end 980ti/4770k setup, honestly just about everything does. used poo poo rules.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Simply Simon posted:

Videos where you calmly curse their design when

Angry Video Game ASMR

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Waffle! posted:

Angry Video Game ASMR
You should check out hideofbeast on YouTube

Also yes, Violen. Yes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fun Times! posted:

Tried Rocket League on the Switch since it went free to play today and it is unfortunately terrible with input lag and matches feel slow and floaty when coming from 144 fps on PC. Maybe I need to mess around with the control sensitivity but I matched the settings to my PC profile which I usually play with an Xbox One controller, and it sucks.

Counterpoint to this; if you haven't already played it on some tricked out PC (or a non-Switch console), you likely won't have these hangups and will be able to enjoy it just fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Violen posted:

are blue coins the most hosed up collectible in a video game

Hidden packages in some of the GTA games could get lovely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Violen posted:

are blue coins the most hosed up collectible in a video game

No, BotW has that beat for taking you with collection hundreds of pieces of poop to get a poop statue.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i would collect 900 suspicious acorns or rescue 128 hapless robots across two theoretical video games if it meant saving a single child from trying to do blue coins guideless

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
(please note that i am not doing blue coins guideless and you don't need to check in on me. it's ok everyone)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
it's me, i'm the poor soul who has done Mario Sunshine 100% twice already and am currently planning on doing so a third time

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it's ok i'm right there with you. the truth is i love doing dumb unnecessary poo poo in bad video games and i will keep doing it until the day i die

especially bad video games as good as mario sunshine

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a Hades thread? Game good

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a Hades thread? Game good

Looks like the HADES thread is here.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Cerberus is a very good boy.

You should probably buy Hades.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Here's my contribution to the Mario blooper reel
https://twitter.com/TheComicFiend/status/1308221981242736642?s=20

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

what the gently caress is even going on here with all these weird colorsplats and lights and poo poo, christ this looks awful

I honestly thought it was splatoon at first

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

botw actually has the decency to track which koroks you have or have not found for you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Augus posted:

botw actually has the decency to track which koroks you have or have not found for you

Is that in the DLC?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thunder Bear posted:

Cerberus is a very good boy.

You should probably buy Hades.

Unless everyone buys Hades, the ghost of Len will come back to derail the thread by misunderstanding more controversies!

Joking aside, I am really bad at games and am understandably bad at Hades (much like my posting). The charm of failing in this game has me hooked though, and is a strong contender of GotY for me.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Just started Sunshine for the first time. I just got the 8th star in Bianco and yeah, not really loving it so far.

I can't shake my interpretation that the Delfino Island residents are all rich lovely boomer retirees who falsely accuse Mario of a crime and then make him do all the work

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, BotW has that beat for taking you with collection hundreds of pieces of poop to get a poop statue.

Hey, if people insist on collecting 100% of a largely optional collectable, even though they don't enjoy it, that's on them, not the game. I think I collected like 98 of those.

I started Mario Galaxy yesterday and the first couple planetoids made me feel slightly ill. I didn't like it when "up" wasn't pointed toward the top of the screen. Thankfully that wasn't a problem once I got to larger land masses, and the game is great. I beat Galaxy 2 years ago without a problem, so I'm not sure why I should have an issue now. As for collecting star bits, is there any good way to do it handheld? Am I just supposed to draw on the screen with my finger?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LuckyCat posted:

Unless everyone buys Hades, the ghost of Len will come back to derail the thread by misunderstanding more controversies!

Joking aside, I am really bad at games and am understandably bad at Hades (much like my posting). The charm of failing in this game has me hooked though, and is a strong contender of GotY for me.

Nah i'm not at work anymore, i'm gonna eat dinner and then kick the hornets nest by saying Mario 64 isn't as great as everyone says it is

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I did that too lmao

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Just started Sunshine for the first time. I just got the 8th star in Bianco and yeah, not really loving it so far.

I can't shake my interpretation that the Delfino Island residents are all rich lovely boomer retirees who falsely accuse Mario of a crime and then make him do all the work

Considering that the real culprit is the son of royalty, Bowser Jr., you're probably not wrong.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

This is such a great interpretation I can't NOT see it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What happened here? Did Mario just decide to die?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

DorianGravy posted:

As for collecting star bits, is there any good way to do it handheld? Am I just supposed to draw on the screen with my finger?

Yeah - if you play handheld on a Switch Lite, I've found that it's not too bad to reach either thumb across the screen for a sec during play. Probably not so comfortable on the full-size Swtich, though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

He hit the edge of the dock, the game considered it an impact, and falling off the thing he's riding is a fail state for the time trial.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

it's such bullshit that the game doesn't let you get off the blooper when the shine spawns
my first attempt at that involved me jumping up onto the dock, missing the shine, and dying on the log bridge :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You try flying headfirst into a wooden dock at 50 miles per hour and see if you survive.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I like Sunshine well enough but this was one of the things that always bugged me. I don't get why hitting a wall while riding on a blooper has to kill you, instead of just knocking you off the blooper. That would be a good enough penalty for the race (previous shine). And for this shine it's frustrating because it's so easy to miss the shine on the pier (undershooting, overshooting, aiming slightly off to the side).

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Yup, just missed the edge.

This happened on the next attempt:
https://twitter.com/TheComicFiend/status/1308223832059117568?s=20

Tho thankfully I did grab the shine after caaaarefully u-turning

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Len posted:

But is a half a press real?

We have come to an impasse because we have not defined whether anything is real

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Piantas are kinda jerks all around. Which makes me feel less bad when I accidentally jump on them when I mean to talk to them.

Simply Simon posted:

Me: oh I'll get 100 coins in the hotel with the red ones, like in 64. I didn't pay attention yet if they add to the counter, would be neat?

okay, I pressed the switch to make them appear for five minutes. Here's the first one - doesn't add to the counter? Doesn't matter, I'll get 100 coins as I explore around for where the red coins are, take the 100 coins shine, then repress the switch and get the red coin shine

Sunshine: lol guess what happens when the timer runs out? you loving die, bitch

This is sort of what I mean by Sunshine feels spiteful. Is there a reason why failing the timer should kill you? No, they probably could have just reset the coins.

Zebia posted:

I like Sunshine well enough but this was one of the things that always bugged me. I don't get why hitting a wall while riding on a blooper has to kill you, instead of just knocking you off the blooper. That would be a good enough penalty for the race (previous shine). And for this shine it's frustrating because it's so easy to miss the shine on the pier (undershooting, overshooting, aiming slightly off to the side).
Also that. First time I did this shine I got all the red coins and decided to try to double around for a blue coin, ended up smacking a wall. Really feels like once the shine is out, the "challenge" should be over.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zebia posted:

see, I am of the opinion that you should be able to disembark from the squid, but also, that the mental image of mario instantly dying from splatting into a wall is too goddamn funny to be removed from the game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

But is a half a press real?

The PS2 introduced pressure sensitive face buttons; a partial press, and a full press. I'm not entirely certain what games supported it beyond the GTA trilogy though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

stev posted:

You try flying headfirst into a wooden dock at 50 miles per hour and see if you survive.
It looked like he ran into lots of other things without consequence though, so I was confused.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mister Facetious posted:

The PS2 introduced pressure sensitive face buttons; a partial press, and a full press. I'm not entirely certain what games supported it beyond the GTA trilogy though.

MGS2 did. 3 too I think

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh come on man, I randomly decided to talk to a Toad and it gave me a star? I've been ignoring these fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It looked like he ran into lots of other things without consequence though, so I was confused.

It's more just that the game considers running into any solid surface while riding a blooper as a death. It's to up the challenge for the segment, but it really just comes across as silly when there's no timer and the penalty for falling into water any other time is just inconvenience.

Len posted:

Oh come on man, I randomly decided to talk to a Toad and it gave me a star? I've been ignoring these fuckers

There's 3 like that, if I remember correctly. One outside Hazy Maze cave, one on the second floor (near tall tall mountain?) and one outside of Tick Tock Clock.