Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who was it that suggested I was insane for saying they would test the vaccines by deliberately infecting people?

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1308772508179537923

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Who was it that suggested I was insane for saying they would test the vaccines by deliberately infecting people?

didn’t we develop those in the era of just testing on young conscripts without their consent

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

The reason pillars and beams are so overspecified is because they didn't understand structural mechanics, so they threw a lot of material at it and hoped it would work. Often they'd mix techniques up completely. Ancient Greek architecture gets its distinctive style because it uses stone as if it is wood. The two materials have wildly different properties.
The rule of thumb back in cathedral and parthenon building times was that if it stood up for five minutes, it would stand up for five hundred years. Put in modern terms- as long as the structure can resist the direction of the applied forces, their magnitude is irrelevant. Unless you live in Lincoln.

Mention was made upthread of Brunel's Maidenhead bridge - a big brick viaduct put up 181 years ago which is now carrying trains of five or six times the weight and over twice the speed that was envisaged when it was designed without problems. That's not unusual for early railway infrastructure using brick and stone, precisely because of the 'we don't know precisely how strong this will be, so we'll really go overboard on the design' factor.

But when the railways entered their 'second generation', structural engineering was at a higher level of precision and iron and steel bridges were more widely available, allowing constructors to build bridges which were strong enough...and not much more, which carried significant initial cost savings. Thomas Bouch, designer of the first Tay Bridge, was an early and large-scale proponent of this 'minimal construction' engineering - and as the Tay Bridge showed it depended on perfect materials, construction and maintenance to work. The Tay Bridge was a tragic failure but other Bouch bridges of a similar design which were properly built (such as those on the abandoned line over Stainmore) survived in use for almost a century.

When the Midland Railway was expanding in the 1870s and 1880s the directors chose to build all their underbridges (where the railway crossed over a road, path or other railway) from steel girders rather than brick or stone arches, precisely designed to be perfectly safe for the current (and anticipated) loads. But massive traffic growth and train weight increases in the late 19th century meant that the Midland quickly found its ability to move stuff being hampered by its relatively under-specced bridges - they couldn't introduce more powerful (heavier) engines or larger, safer, more luxurious (heavier) carriages or larger, more capacious and efficient (heavier) freight wagons. A massive rebuilding/upgrade project was planned for the 1910s but a sudden downturn in coal traffic due to the opening of a new cross-Midlands competing railway followed by WW1 meant it never happened, thus leaving a large part of Britain's railway network plagued by flimsy bridges for decades - many of the old MR bridges weren't removed until the early 2000s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The original vaccines for cholera were developed in the 1880s from cholera patients' liquid poo poo, allowed to germinate, and then weakened in sunlight. One of the first mass tests was a less than consensual one in then-Calcutta.

I'm not convinced that's a good model for modern testing.

Endjinneer posted:

wind, fire, earthquake and incompetence

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

sebzilla posted:

Been playing in Tableau and made this:

Some interesting insights into Corbyn's tenure as a whole.

Gained vote share in significantly more seats than he lost across the 4 years
Did not lose a single Remain seat net

Yes but any other leader would've been 20 points ahead.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Guavanaut posted:

Why isn't this guy Labour leader again?

Love Clive Lewis, been saying it, he's not the best at internal party politicking stuff or self-promotion but Lewis has an absolute ton of potential good in him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a... surprising point of principle for him to stick to:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1308817247675256833?s=21
Unless he (or whatever focus group is currently controlling his prefrontal cortex) has decided that he wants scottish independence to be the brexit-like issue that divides the tories.

Jel Shaker posted:

didn’t we develop those in the era of just testing on young conscripts without their consent
Yes but nowadays we are of course far more enlightened, and people can simply choose to possibly have their spine totally hosed (or starve which is actually still a choice when you really think about it).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
3 shadow PPSs have been sacked by Starmer for voting against that Overseas bill, rather than abstaining.

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1308883140866453510?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the calculus is that if Scotland did go independent, the breakup of the UK would be such a blow to the government that it would immediately collapse and the shame would make up for the Tories’ big advantage in cutting out Scotland. Seems like a pretty loving risky strategy to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Love Clive Lewis, been saying it, he's not the best at internal party politicking stuff or self-promotion but Lewis has an absolute ton of potential good in him.
He's the only voice I've heard (maybe there's more but I've not heard any of them) saying "lol gently caress off this bill doesn't 'protect the troops', it protects the MoD from torture allegations, stops them being sued by some lad from Tile Hill that Blair had them send into active combat with a saucepan lid for armour, and opts us out of international human rights obligations" while certain other Labour leaders stare at it like a Brylcreem'd hog in headlights, so he's definitely got something going on upstairs that others haven't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wonder if the calculus is that if Scotland did go independent, the breakup of the UK would be such a blow to the government that it would immediately collapse and the shame would make up for the Tories’ big advantage in cutting out Scotland. Seems like a pretty loving risky strategy to me.

It also relies on the tories throwing another independence referendum which they can just... not do. And then oh dear labour got into government what was that you said about the mandate for an independence referendum mister prime minister?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1308877073046556674
Nadia for leader?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

OwlFancier posted:

I wish the overall aesthetic and sentiment wasn't towards the 1940's but more like the 70's. Why do certain people remember on a war they imagined they fought in rather than, being punks and rock and roll music and Margaret bloody Thatcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaTFcXVCNU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I've been putting it off in the vague hope of finding anything to try and fix this internally but I'm not paying a party that supports torture. Starmer deserves nothing short of death.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

I've been putting it off in the vague hope of finding anything to try and fix this internally but I'm not paying a party that supports torture. Starmer deserves nothing short of death.

"No you see, we abstained. That doesn't mean we support torture, we just don't oppose it. Wildly different you see because *fart noises*"

I'm going to get such joy when Keith loses the next election despite his consistent dedication to sitting on the fence about loving everything

Did Labour even bother mentioning the recording of the Home Secretary basically using an old Nazi line about Travellers all being thieves? I'm wagering no

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He probably agrees with her.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

She's 24.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

He probably agrees with her.

He probably helps Lord Mann deliver the anti traveller pamphlets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's certainly a point in her favour.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Sounds a bit over-qualified.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

CRISP EMERGENCY! CRISP EMERGENCY!

https://twitter.com/m4tt/status/1308688871291596800

Genuinely pretty sad about this.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Can anyone explain why Clive Lewis said that voting against the Overseas Operations bill was a trap set by the government? I don't understand what difference voting against vs abstaining makes, particularly when you're guaranteed to lose.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That sucks brannigans are the best crisps this country has

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

Can anyone explain why Clive Lewis said that voting against the Overseas Operations bill was a trap set by the government? I don't understand what difference voting against vs abstaining makes, particularly when you're guaranteed to lose.

He's saying that starmer thinks that, because voting against it would be unpatriotic. And you are entirely correct that abstaining still makes the tories trot out the same argument regardless, and it's also garbage legislation so if labour are too cowardly to oppose garbage legislation out of fear of the tories not liking it then what is the point of them even existing?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thought they'd died out years ago.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

He's saying that starmer thinks that, because voting against it would be unpatriotic. And you are entirely correct that abstaining still makes the tories trot out the same argument regardless, and it's also garbage legislation so if labour are too cowardly to oppose garbage legislation out of fear of the tories not liking it then what is the point of them even existing?

Thanks, I thought I was missing some 5th dimensional chess mastery here, but it was just Starmer being poo poo. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Isomermaid posted:

That's why I'm happy to see Judith Butler doing that hilarious interview, (if slightly pissed off it had to be a cis woman saying it to get the stamp of respect, when trans people have been saying it for years.) The medical stuff is a curio, the lived experience is the ground truth

I'm far behind in the thread so I don't know if this has already been stated, but Judith Butler's nonbinary.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Always thought Brannigans were minging but was for those of you who liked them for whatever reason

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's almost a poetic bookend to the corbyn period where labour "tactically abstains" under harman from the gently caress the welfare scroungers act and under starmer from the maximum warcrimes act. Really brings back that new labour flavour.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Comrade Fakename posted:

this strategy implies this government is capable of feeling shame, which... that's an assumption, right there

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Abbot, Begum, Blake, Burgon, Byrne, Corbyn, Lavery, Long-Bailey, McDonnell, Osamor, Osborne, Ribeiro-Addy, Russell-Moyle, Sultana, Trickett, Webb, Whittome and Winter voted against the bill.

In other news, 124 students have tested positive at Glasgow University. That's going to be all Unis in 2-3 weeks.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Thanks, I thought I was missing some 5th dimensional chess mastery here, but it was just Starmer being poo poo. Disappointing but not unexpected.

In the world of politics any event that forces you to have an opinion or take a position is a trap, because if you do you will alienate some portion of the electorate. The key to winning is to avoid all these traps and go into the election with no opinions or policies whatsoever. Then, having alienated nobody, you will secure 100% of the vote.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Hello Jabby - are you over the covid?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

CRISP EMERGENCY! CRISP EMERGENCY!

https://twitter.com/m4tt/status/1308688871291596800

Genuinely pretty sad about this.
They had a cheese and pickle flavour that was also very good, but the beef & mustard will be a sad loss. If I knew where the hell to get them, I would bulk buy those instead of toilet paper.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's Very Cool that you could have word for word predicted this Conservative response:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1308846115438157824

Culture war, let's go!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hello Jabby - are you over the covid?

Yeah thanks. It's been a few months since I had it, I'm basically back to 100%. Took a while though, the first couple of weeks I was incredibly fatigued, and my sense of smell has only recently properly come back.

On the plus side, I've donated plasma twice for the trial and they tell me my antibody levels are still high. Got a third donation coming up.

Haven't been in the thread mainly because politics is no fun now, with a Tory majority and Labour under Starmer.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tesla was right posted:

I'm far behind in the thread so I don't know if this has already been stated, but Judith Butler's nonbinary.

Ah, poo poo. Didn't know that. Sorry Judith.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad your recovery seems to be good at least. Hopefully it will keep you safe for the coming months.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The galaxy brains at Labour basically made it a trap for themselves, by waving the loving Union Flag, soundbiting endlessly about patriotism and chanting LET'S PUT BRITAIN FIRST in the same week a bill about the loving armed forces was up in the Commons.

How thick do you have to b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad your recovery seems to be good at least. Hopefully it will keep you safe for the coming months.

For all the fuss about people getting reinfected and antibody levels dropping, I'm not too worried. So far I've not seen any cases where someone previously infected has been reinfected and developed severe symptoms, even if they might swab positive again at some point.

And antibody levels to all diseases drop over time, your body doesn't waste resources on antibodies it doesn't need. The question is whether it keeps the ability to produce them rapidly enough to prevent serious infection.