Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ror posted:

I thought it was something like the latter. Like just kidnapping a wife probably isn't enough to break the conditioning, so the Baron goes full on with the sadistic torture in order to get Yueh. But the ironic twist that the Baron doesn't realize is that it's Yueh's burning hatred for the Baron that really breaks the conditioning, not worry for his wife (and why he says several times that she's probably dead and it doesn't really even matter).

IDK, I guess it still makes the conditioning seem easy to break. But he's a real angry boi.

I think Piter knew tho right ?

I can’t remember it’s been awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I bought this audiobook but haven't listened to it yet. But since apparently there is a movie coming out I was going to move it to the front of my queue. Is this the best version or should I try to exchange it for a different version?

I have never read a Dune book or seen any of the movies.

edit: here's the one I currently have
https://www.audible.com/pd/Dune-Aud...CDVFSH5S4HW36KB

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thinking about what happened I guesss Piter did not know

Rip Piter, Jamis

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why no Ghola Jamis??

Wtf Tleilaxu?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm really not looking forward to the Yueh bits in Villeneuve's Dune. He's going to make me feel emotions about it all, it's going to kill me.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I bought this audiobook but haven't listened to it yet. But since apparently there is a movie coming out I was going to move it to the front of my queue. Is this the best version or should I try to exchange it for a different version?

I've not really listened to the one I have. Sorry.

Imagine you want something as background or w/e but the book is a pretty smooth read, really.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
[Middle of the southern bled]

Me: [chanting] worm, worm-
Other water-fat idiots: worm, WORM
Mentat moron: [pounding the sand] WORM, WORM, WO- [Shai-hulud breaks through the dune crest and translates our dumb asses into the alam-al-mithal]

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bubblyblubber posted:

[Middle of the southern bled]

Me: [chanting] worm, worm-
Other water-fat idiots: worm, WORM
Mentat moron: [pounding the sand] WORM, WORM, WO- [Shai-hulud breaks through the dune crest and translates our dumb asses into the alam-al-mithal]

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Big dick sucking worm lips

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

swallow they homies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

all i want from dune movie is at least one prominent use of the phrase "butlerian jihad" so i don't have to explain it to people

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I am like 99% sure that would be impossible in the current world we live in and is going to be replaced by something like "The Crusade against machines" or "Great Thinking Machine Wars". I reserve my right of being proved wrong in the remaining 1%.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

That's the one I have, and it's pretty good. Not sure about other versions, though.
It was mentioned pages ago, but the narrator's voice for certain characters is very different from the voice actors'. The baron and Piter are the two big standouts to me.
It can be a bit jarring sometimes, esp when they go from the VA to the narrator in the same chapter.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let me tell you all about Space king Chaddam and young wizard Paul's righteous crusaders who have given an oath to lay down their lives

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Leto II is the only person who knows that Ix is a corruption of the roman numeral but he's got one in his name. Shouldn't ever reverend mother have roman numerals in Other Memory also

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Leto II is the only person who knows that Ix is a corruption of the roman numeral but he's got one in his name. Shouldn't ever reverend mother have roman numerals in Other Memory also

You could probably hand wave that away as "Leto II" is the English translation from future speak but Ix is literally Ix.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Leto Ayye.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Imagine I posted a Photoshop of Leto II with him wearing a leather jacket and doing the Fonz finger point thing. Thanks in advance.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Also you can imagine him doing his magic jukebox hit thing, except he is thumping for a sandworm buddy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ingmar terdman posted:

Scytale mentions it during the treasonmoot at the very beginning of Messiah, so I figured it's just something that only pedantic nerds and immortal worm gods bother learning about.

Though speaking of the various Letos, it always bugged me that Leto is Paul's father, Leto II is the worm god, but what does that make Paul's first son who gets killed at the end of Dune? Leto 1.5? Nobody ever points out how weird it is that he named his second son the same as his first son.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Though speaking of the various Letos, it always bugged me that Leto is Paul's father, Leto II is the worm god, but what does that make Paul's first son who gets killed at the end of Dune? Leto 1.5? Nobody ever points out how weird it is that he named his second son the same as his first son.

I'm fairly certain it's at least explicitly mentioned somewhere

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Scytale mentions it during the treasonmoot ...

I had a chuckle at "treasonmoot", thank you good sir.

Come to think of it, the treasonmoot is one of the baller-est scenes in the series. A hidden meeting in the middle of nowhere against a living god that can literally see into the future, controls the known universe and has a planet full of super soldiers worshipping him as their messiah.

No trusts each other and know that every single being there is capable of betraying everyone in that room in a drop of a hat and possibly make a power grab in the microscopic chance of this working.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It is mentioned in Heretics as a former theological argument that was settled a generation ago

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I have wondered if Frank ever said whether the first Leto son was something he wanted to get into the first book in case that was the only book. In other words if there was a guarantee from the start that he would get to do the first three books, would any of that changed? As far as I can remember his death is off-stage and is just used to up the stakes of the final confrontation. Lynch omits it outright, Scifi series shows the lead up the murder and then has Paul tell Chani that Leto is dead.

e:

skasion posted:

The importance of Leto II 1 is mostly that Paul knows he’s dead without being told.

Cool point I forgot this detail

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The importance of Leto II 1 is mostly that Paul knows he’s dead without being told.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Both Leto II's are of the same spirit and the same substance

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why even name a dead baby it's not like they'll ever remember it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why even name a dead baby it's not like they'll ever remember it

Because you remember it, dipshit.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

Because you remember it, dipshit.

Yeah that's fair but what about Paul

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
So does Paul know that his son will be killed as a result of his plan to overthrow the emperor?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s a mentat so probably in the planning stages

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The trick is he's named Leto II because he's the second Leto after his BROTHER and Paul is just kind of an rear end in a top hat

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Shoehead posted:

The trick is he's named Leto II because he's the second Leto after his BROTHER and Paul is just kind of an rear end in a top hat

Leto II 2

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Leto II.1

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He was never announced as the Ducal heir of Paul, who was presumed dead at the time. Probably something to do with it. So maybe he would be Leto b10192 d10192 on their family tree, but it's not as though he had even come of age.

Also whatever happens they better not Christianize the Muslim parts too much. Moving from Jihad to Crusade is one thing, but all the rest of the stuff is pretty well knit. Hoping they don't gently caress with it too much. You know how studios be.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think Paul is just Cotton Hill and there's Leto and Good Leto

I killed fiddy billion men

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Paul of Dune is probably the better of the failson books and it describes things like Paul running a Jihad and Fenring trying his best to kill Paul. It's schlocky mediocre scifi with Dune characters.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Which was the one with Stilgar jumping out of an ornithopter dual-wielding crysknives and doing a sick flip before landing on a sandworm?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

euphronius posted:

He’s a mentat so probably in the planning stages

Ahh yes, the famous Stages of Grief.

planning;
denial;
anger;
bargaining;
jihad;
depression;