Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cracker King posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I’ve actually played most of those games so it made me reassess what I have.

I’ll dip back into BurnOut Paradise and Just Cause 4 since I like to fly around in the wing suit if I have to bail from a bad turn off a cliff.

Now I want to know about more games that are more laid back.

I would probably be into those Truck simulators but I bet they need wheel/peddle setup as opposed to controller to feel right.

Not really; I play ETS2 with a PS4 controller and absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I play ETS2 and ATS with an Xbox360 controller and it's perfectly fine too. If I were to have one complaint about it, it's that the trigger finger gets tired after a while if you disable the speed limiter and try to keep the truck going 100mph+ constantly :v:

If you just want chill driving though you can simply use the cruise control button and avoid that, of course.

It even has in-game radio that stream from the internet, and you can discover all sorts of strange and wonderful(?) music.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 22, 2020

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Cracker King posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I’ve actually played most of those games so it made me reassess what I have.

I’ll dip back into BurnOut Paradise and Just Cause 4 since I like to fly around in the wing suit if I have to bail from a bad turn off a cliff.

Now I want to know about more games that are more laid back.

I would probably be into those Truck simulators but I bet they need wheel/peddle setup as opposed to controller to feel right.

My favorite laid back game this year is the newest Flight Simulator. There aren't really any objectives, you are given a bunch of planes and you fly them anywhere in the world. If you need more structure there is a Goon Airlines thing you can join and haul cargo around with the OnAir plugin.

Controller + keyboard is perfectly fine and the tutorials get you up in the air fairly quickly.

It's on Gamepass, pretty cheap to try out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah Euro Truck is fine with a controller. That said, it would be even more chill with a wheel and pedals because that way I could sip my coffee while driving.

MS Flight would probably be good in the same way, with the caveat that it'll take a little longer to get acquainted with the controls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Even the early missions go like this: land, try to creep up on the target, some dude sees me, whole base goes on alert, scramble for a hiding spot or creep around while these guys are after me, they go off alert, repeat, repeat, repeat.

ChipCheezum's LP might help you get into the mindset of the game's mechanics to really start figuring how to approach things. He tries to display 3 ways to approach anything: stealthy, deadly, or wacky. I think the biggest tricks I really learned were how useful holding up or the rocket fist could be.

You might also have an easier time getting into the sneaky mindset with Sniper Elite 3 or 4, because there's a lot of similar sneaking mechanics, like marking soldiers to keep track of them, There's not really a nonlethal option, but the game will tell you a story about how horrible all the people you kill are. There's also more depth to the sniping and the mechanic of sound-masking your shots so that it's harder for people to find you, and it might really get you into the mindset of shooting and running between sneaking.

It's all about situational awareness. When you approach places with soldiers, you can usually find some good vantage point to start marking them, and your robot arm can help you with finding soldiers near to you. You don't always need to wait for alerts to completely clear, you can try to fight your way out or just run when everything goes to hell. If the enemies think that you're somewhere where you're not, you can still keep progressing. You also get a slow-mo grace period to silence people who find you, so being ready for a quick draw or punch can save you a lot of trouble. You don't need to play it safe all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah I mean I am bad at videogames as is, but MGS is a game that I absolutely love in theory but find to be brutally hard to the point that I went through a few PS1 controllers back in the day.

MGS5 gets ridiculously easy after a bit because you have so much stuff at your disposal. You can literally just skip missions by bombing bases. It's not like the old MGS games. it's more of an open world playground.

What do you like about it in theory though? The stealth? the base building stuff? It would be easier to answer if you could specify that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Looking for a driving game with a lot of focus on customization/modification.

Don't care too much about platform. Older might actually be better. Just want something not Forza that I can chill and have fun with.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Looking for a driving game with a lot of focus on customization/modification.

Don't care too much about platform. Older might actually be better. Just want something not Forza that I can chill and have fun with.

The Need for Speed games starting with Underground 2

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

veni veni veni posted:

MGS5 gets ridiculously easy after a bit because you have so much stuff at your disposal. You can literally just skip missions by bombing bases. It's not like the old MGS games. it's more of an open world playground.

What do you like about it in theory though? The stealth? the base building stuff? It would be easier to answer if you could specify that.

Well, honestly, what made me think of this was actually playing the original Call of Duty Modern Warfare and reading an old tabletop RPG called Recon. What it made me realize that I wanted out of a game was something where you'd play a mercenary of sorts and take jobs to earn money for more weapons, ammo, upgrades, expand your squad, etc. I'd played a bit of MGS5 (and a lot of 1&2 in the past) and that setting really appealed to me. Really though, I think that except for the setting, Borderlands might be the closest game to what I'm looking for.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sounds an awful like STALKER, to me.

Or maybe like, Jagged Alliance 2. But that's not a shooter.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

John Murdoch posted:

Sounds an awful like STALKER, to me.

Or maybe like, Jagged Alliance 2. But that's not a shooter.

Man I've never heard of Jagged Alliance but that sounds pretty cool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

EdsTeioh posted:

Man I've never heard of Jagged Alliance but that sounds pretty cool.

There's actually a long and storied history of "incredibly janky mercenary simulators" in both isometric and FPS flavors. If you decide to go down that particular rabbit hole, make sure to read up on it a bit. IIRC, it's one of those games that needs tinkering with to behave how you want it to. (The modern ones are also, AFAIK, incredibly bad.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whats survival builderish that isn't Frostpunk or Surviving Mars? They are two of my favourite games but there has to be more in the genre. Banished didn't grab me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Whats survival builderish that isn't Frostpunk or Surviving Mars? They are two of my favourite games but there has to be more in the genre. Banished didn't grab me.

Rimworld?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EdsTeioh posted:

Well, honestly, what made me think of this was actually playing the original Call of Duty Modern Warfare and reading an old tabletop RPG called Recon. What it made me realize that I wanted out of a game was something where you'd play a mercenary of sorts and take jobs to earn money for more weapons, ammo, upgrades, expand your squad, etc. I'd played a bit of MGS5 (and a lot of 1&2 in the past) and that setting really appealed to me. Really though, I think that except for the setting, Borderlands might be the closest game to what I'm looking for.

Sounds like you’re really after stuff like XCOM, Jagged Alliance, Battle Brothers, that kind of thing, rather than an action game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Cracker King posted:

Any good games where you could just leisurely drive around with little hassle?

By little hassle I mean not needing to unlock decent cars or the rest of the map/courses - I want to load it up grab my controller and drive

I haven’t really played any racing games but I’ve played open world games with driving

I used to play GTA San Andreas just cruising the highway but I never liked the controls

For PC using Xbox controller

Not interested in wheel/paddles ‘driving experience’

just some low hassle chill gaming

I’d look into non driving games too since I’ve never sought out chill games before so I wonder if there’s some genre defying stuff

How about SnowRunner? There is some 'hassle' in planning your routes and getting out of the mud, but once you get in the flow it's supremely chill and satisfying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That didn't really grab me either. I'm not sure why.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oxygen Not Included?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This is super-specific, but is there a game along the lines of Factorio or SpaceChem -- that kind of "engineering a solution to a problem from scratch" puzzle/builder combo -- but a) about growing or nurturing an organic system and b) with co-op support?

I've been poking around various farming simulators, because that's the closest thing I can think of in terms of "actually existing genres", but they tend to be more about simulation and RPG elements rather than puzzles or problem-solving.

Old school "ecosystem simulators" like SimLife are in the right ballpark too, but anything in that territory tends to be singleplayer and, again, way more focused on general simulation than goal-oriented play.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 23, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is super-specific, but is there a game along the lines of Factorio or SpaceChem -- that kind of "engineering a solution to a problem from scratch" puzzle/builder combo -- but a) about growing or nurturing an organic system and b) with co-op support?

I've been poking around various farming simulators, because that's the closest thing I can think of in terms of "actually existing genres", but they tend to be more about simulation and RPG elements rather than puzzles or problem-solving.

Old school "ecosystem simulators" like SimLife are in the right ballpark too, but anything in that territory tends to be singleplayer and, again, way more focused on general simulation than goal-oriented play.
sounds like it's time for you try out Having A Child

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hey I saw there is an Stardock sale going on on Steam. Is there any game you guys would recommend? I like RTS and heard the first Endless Space is good but I havent really keeped up with how Endless Space 2 or Ashes of the Singularity did

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey I saw there is an Stardock sale going on on Steam. Is there any game you guys would recommend? I like RTS and heard the first Endless Space is good but I havent really keeped up with how Endless Space 2 or Ashes of the Singularity did
Ashes of the Singularity is boring to the max and I'm saying that as a perpetually RTS-starved person.
Endless Space 2 is pretty good but it's a turn-based 4X game, not an RTS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stardock is run by sociopaths

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sounds like it's time for you try out Having A Child

you joke but from a game design and criticism standpoint it really is frustrating how you basically have to choose between "games about violence or industry with incredibly sophisticated and mechanically interesting systems" or "games about anything else but they're about as deep as a puddle"

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Stardock is run by sociopaths

Holy poo poo I just looked up why :captainpop:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The closest thing I can think of is Waking Mars but that's a strictly singleplayer Metroidvania-ish take on the idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

The closest thing I can think of is Waking Mars but that's a strictly singleplayer Metroidvania-ish take on the idea.

I'll check it out anyways; I'm looking for something to play with a friend who loves that kind of game but is completely put off by Factorio's "pave over the planet" aesthetic, but that still sounds pretty cool.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I’m looking for good, preferably handheld, single player games for when I’m just completely loving exhausted. Like for nights when you just can’t get the energy together to play something more taxing, but want to do something a little less self destructive than scrolling through social media. I’ll take any genre suggestions but ideally it would be something that doesn’t require looking at a wiki or guide very often.

I have access to most consoles but I’m leaning towards Switch/3DS/Vita recommendations right now. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I feel I should mention that I played Animal Crossing for a bit and fell off it pretty hard.

Panic Restaurant fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 23, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Bejeweled has a casual mode where you can't die, seems perfect for that kind of scenario.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
some easy-ish roguelites that are fun even when you lose a run are my go to for low effort plays. Slay the spire, Hades (has an easy mode built in and is awesome!), Binding of Isaac, Into the breach, Steamworld dig 2, Nuclear Throne.
All these games have amazingly fun moment-to-moment gameplay and losing doesn't feel bad at all (to me) as runs are quick and punchy. Hades is especially great as you'll always be rewarded after each run, even if you die quickly, with awesome story moments and such. Dying is a crucial part of the story, and if you activate easy mode and just go mash some buttons you'll probably get quite far!

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So I have a weird request. I have a patient with muscular dystophy and because of that he has limited movement in his fingers so he can really only move the thumbstick and reach the A and B buttons.

So my question to you, my goons, any rpgs on the Xbox one that can be played in it's entirety with those three buttons?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Samopsa posted:

Nuclear Throne.

Nuclear Throne is dope, and has a very busy mod scene. Look up Nuclear Throne Together (a major mod with online play and bug fixes) and you'll see shitloads of mods for it.

Nuclear Throne Together: https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/nuclear-throne-together
Link: https://itch.io/game-mods/tag-ntt

Once you get Nuclear Throne Together set up, you can add any of these.

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 24, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mercedes posted:

So I have a weird request. I have a patient with muscular dystophy and because of that he has limited movement in his fingers so he can really only move the thumbstick and reach the A and B buttons.

So my question to you, my goons, any rpgs on the Xbox one that can be played in it's entirety with those three buttons?
I'm assuming you've investigated the Xbox One's accessibility options? Dager specializes in gaming reviews from an accessibility perspective and will almost certainly answer an email from you.

I haven't played it, but Mass Effect 3's "narrative" (ie below easy) difficulty is sometimes held up as an example of an accessible RPG.

edit: also be sure to get in touch the charities SpecialEffects and AbleGamers. Helping people like your patient play games is their whole mission.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 24, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mercedes posted:

Maybe the Telltale games?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm also sort of in the market for an eco-friendly builder/management game but haven't really found one yet. I haven't played it yet personally but maybe look at Block'hood. No co-op but it's the closest I've found... it doesn't seem particularly deep and seems more focused on aesthetics overall but still.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Samopsa posted:

some easy-ish roguelites that are fun even when you lose a run are my go to for low effort plays. Slay the spire, Hades (has an easy mode built in and is awesome!), Binding of Isaac, Into the breach, Steamworld dig 2, Nuclear Throne.
All these games have amazingly fun moment-to-moment gameplay and losing doesn't feel bad at all (to me) as runs are quick and punchy. Hades is especially great as you'll always be rewarded after each run, even if you die quickly, with awesome story moments and such. Dying is a crucial part of the story, and if you activate easy mode and just go mash some buttons you'll probably get quite far!

Roguelites are a great suggestion- I loved Solitairica and Meteorfall on my phone. I actually bought Slay the Spire last time it was on sale but haven’t fired it up yet, maybe I’ll go with that. Thanks!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I know Hogwarts Legacy is coming out next year, but I have a Harry Potter-obsessed daughter about to turn 9 and would like to get her a game for her birthday in December. What are the best options to go for? Can be on Switch or PS4.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Thanks for the further information you guys.

Also, how could I have forgotten telltale games! I think I recall them having accessibility options for their qte's

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I know Hogwarts Legacy is coming out next year, but I have a Harry Potter-obsessed daughter about to turn 9 and would like to get her a game for her birthday in December. What are the best options to go for? Can be on Switch or PS4.

I will say that the Harry Potter LEGO games are a little bit complicated and unfun. My currently 9 year old daughter bounced off of them. Lots of wandering and the goals are a little vague and confusing at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

J. K. Rowling is also a repulsive bigot who uses her fame as a weapon and directly profits from anything Harry Potter-branded. I realize a kid's not necessarily going to get that but you really shouldn't support her if you can help it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 25, 2020