Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wizard pushed SPLATT for like two solid years even though he was barely producing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Wizard pushed SPLATT for like two solid years even though he was barely producing work.

I know people have said Wizard pushed stuff like those early issues of Valiant comics because they wanted to drive up the market for their own collections and while that could well be true for all I know it does feel like Platt was an odd attempt at trying to play hitmaker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I know people have said Wizard pushed stuff like those early issues of Valiant comics because they wanted to drive up the market for their own collections and while that could well be true for all I know it does feel like Platt was an odd attempt at trying to play hitmaker.

They did the same thing for Randy Queen and Mike Turner. And plenty of other Image artists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, wow, I haven't thought about Randy Queen in a minute. I wonder if he's still working on innumerable Darkchylde miniseries.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Platt’s art was super dope, especially as splashes that aren’t trying to tell a story and are perfect for magazines, is why they did that.

The CMRO forums are filled with people who don’t like Kirby art, particularly from the earlier days of Marvel. And I get why - his “normal” looking characters are a bit samey, particularly the women. It takes a bit for him to become “the king” that we know, regardless of how much he did before marvel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

The look down the top ten is also a hilarious trip down comics memory lane.

You weren't kidding, that cover for Daredevil 319&320 brought up a lot of memories. I don't even think i read those issues, just that the covers were everywhere for a while.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow. Platt was the superstar for like a month. Here's a fun read on it, watching how HAM they go pushing his Moon Knight stuff out of nowhere.

He apparently let it go to his head and made a lot of people hate him in the process

lol tho:

quote:

I remember Eric asking me to go in and find out just how far behind Platt was on an issue of an already late Prophet comic. I found him working very diligently…on a two page spread which was for the following issue and not the one which was needed. Like a week ago. He went into a whole 20 minute spiel about his art style, how art is a higher calling, and how he approaches his work like Moebius does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Platt getting $40000 an issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

This is like the #1 thing to like about how Liefeld ran extreme.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Platt's art looks great. I think Michael Fiffe wrote an appreciation of it somewhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

so all he needed to do was draw half an issue a year and be among the highest paid comic artists in the industry?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

so all he needed to do was draw half an issue a year and be among the highest paid comic artists in the industry?

Jack Kirby’s highest paying book in his whole career was apparently the one he did with image. They weren’t perfect by any stretch, but guys got paid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Jack Kirby’s highest paying book in his whole career was apparently the one he did with image. They weren’t perfect by any stretch, but guys got paid.

Yeah this is maybe the one thing image was mostly good at. Gaiman situation aside. And it's one I can't fault them for. I'd much rather that money go into Platt or any other artists pocket than some loving useless executive.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Book of the week for me is Juggernaut, hands down. Just a really nice, fun story. I have always liked the Juggernaut and giving him some personality is pretty good.

More books need to be about Damage Control, honestly

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
All marvel movies pushed back. Should be quite some impacts to comic sales as well. Especially Eternals.

quote:

May 7, 2021: Black Widow
Nov. 5, 2021: Eternals
July 9, 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Feb. 18, 2022: Thor: Love and Thunder
March 25, 2022: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
May 6, 2022: Black Panther 2

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/23/2...-doctor-strange

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 23, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh, that sucks. Mulan must've really poo poo the bed if they didn't want to go the Disney+ route.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Should be quite some impacts to comic sales as well. Especially Eternals.

No one was going to start reading that book cause of the movie anyway.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Lawlicaust posted:

All marvel movies pushed back. Should be quite some impacts to comic sales as well. Especially Eternals.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/23/2...-doctor-strange

the 2020/2021 movies got delayed, but none of those 2022 dates are new. as to whether those stick... :shrug:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Vince MechMahon posted:

No one was going to start reading that book cause of the movie anyway.

I mean, someone at Marvel clearly thought so originally. But yes, the actual lift would be tiny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I mean, someone at Marvel clearly thought so originally. But yes, the actual lift would be tiny.

They always think this but I don't think there's ever been a time where it actually moved the needle. Maybe Rhyno has some more info on that as an comic store dude?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Mulan must've really poo poo the bed if they didn't want to go the Disney+ route.

It did really well actually, something like 20-25 million accounts worldwide dropped the $30 to watch it. What they're probably worried about is that word of mouth and piracy apparently sped to areas of the world where the movie was scheduled for theatrical release tanking it's ticket sales.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It did really well actually, something like 20-25 million accounts worldwide dropped the $30 to watch it. What they're probably worried about is that word of mouth and piracy apparently sped to areas of the world where the movie was scheduled for theatrical release tanking it's ticket sales.

That and they were banking on it doing HUGE numbers in China, and the Chinese poo poo all over it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
A lot of times the timing of these are less for movie fans to come flocking into comic shops after the movie, and more for there to be a trade available at bookstores/Comixology/on Hoopla by the time the movie is out.

The Black Panther movie came out in February 2018, but the Ta-Nehisi Coates Black Panther book launched in April 2016. The Geoff Johns Shazam book came out in December of 2018 (after a bunch of delays) and the movie came out in April 2019. I think the general idea (especially with characters who have had a lot of incarnations) is that you want to have something collected you can point to and go "yeah, if you liked the movie check out this". Which is why Marvel at least has seemingly become much less concerned if the status quo of Captain America or Thor or Spider-Man lines up with the movies because if someone liked Winter Soldier or Far from Home or Ragnarok there's a big enough back catalog of stuff (Brubaker Captain America, Aaron Thor/World War Hulk, All of the Teenage Spider-Man Books Ever) you can direct folks to.

The Eternals is likely not going to be particularly similar to the original Kirby (or the revamps by Gillis or Gaiman or the Knaufs) to have a nice pat, "you liked the movie? Read this!" thing. And even then I'm not sure how much it moves the needle.

The last time there seemed to be a huge rush on comics featuring (franchise superhero) in conjunction with a movie was the 1989 Batman. There have definitely been big bumps for things that come closer to straight adaptations -- there was a big surge in sales for, say, Walking Dead or Watchmen or Sin City or V for Vendetta or Scott Pilgrim or Kick rear end when those movies came out. This bleeds over into comics once in awhile, like I know Killing Joke got a lot of extra sales when The Dark Knight came out, Infinity Gauntlet for Infinity War, etc. But 90% of the people who go see the new Spider-Man or Wolverine or Wonder Woman movie do not necessarily want to jump right into buying a monthly comic from a comic shop.

Which isn't to say there aren't converts or people who end up becoming comic buyers, but if you're getting into comics in the past 20 years, you're way less likely to be someone who sets up a pull list as you are someone who will buy trades, or buy digitally, or just get them from your library. More people are probably reading Iron Man or Green Arrow books now than they were in 2005, but that doesn't mean you saw a spike in sales for the new month's issue of those books when a movie/season premiered.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 24, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vince MechMahon posted:

They always think this but I don't think there's ever been a time where it actually moved the needle. Maybe Rhyno has some more info on that as an comic store dude?

The first two weeks after a character first appears in a movie. That is it, in my experience. These things are just common place now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best part is when a character gets popular and Marvel puts a book out featuring their first appearance. Like this, Gamora's first adventure.

Look at that cover. You can tell that's going to a fun Gamora space adventure. Why, the one thing that cover basically guarantees is that the story contained inside won't be the final chapter of a story about a space Superman fighting an evil god who is actually himself from the future, featuring Gamora as a minor character who appears less than Pip the Troll

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

The best part is when a character gets popular and Marvel puts a book out featuring their first appearance. Like this, Gamora's first adventure.

Look at that cover. You can tell that's going to a fun Gamora space adventure. Why, the one thing that cover basically guarantees is that the story contained inside won't be the final chapter of a story about a space Superman fighting an evil god who is actually himself from the future, featuring Gamora as a minor character who appears less than Pip the Troll

Is that just a straight reprint or a retelling? because if it's a reprint then it also has Gamora's first costume which.. yeah...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Is that just a straight reprint or a retelling? because if it's a reprint then it also has Gamora's first costume which.. yeah...

Straight reprint. And yeah that costume is great.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/davaja/status/1309524198239481856?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:eyepop:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

They did a very similar cover years later during Slott's run.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ABWDhG9qJ9sh6icu6

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Question IRL posted:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ABWDhG9qJ9sh6icu6

And to be fair this is a much better cover.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

This is a great cover.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Iron Man, the latest #1 was actually quite good.

I tried to read EMPYRE this week but stalled after two issues. It reminded me of a Jim Shooter crossover event from the Eighties but just way more expensive.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Salvador Larocca is coming for Greg Land's spot.

(from Doctor Doom #7)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do a deep dive for Larocca and tracing, he's been blatantly doing it his entire career.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Í'm aware! But this is the first time I've noticed him crib from a really famous image the way Greg Land does all the time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Larocca doing Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osborn for the longest time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

Wasn't Larocca doing Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osborn for the longest time?

He was indeed. He liked tracing Jim Lee in his earliest work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

Í'm aware! But this is the first time I've noticed him crib from a really famous image the way Greg Land does all the time.

read his star wars issues. oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

read his star wars issues. oof

At least Disney actually has the likeness rights to Mark Hammil, etc.