Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

B-Nasty posted:

Buyers will set sail for the exit.

You were so close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a buoyer's market!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

You were so close.

I think we have a winner.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So... quasi-serious question: what happens when you buy a double wide and then during transport, half the house blows off the truck into a marsh and is unretrievable without closing the highway, which is highly difficult to close because it’s two lanes with a median and no shoulder and also an important Bay Area commute route with no easy detour?

My sister sent me this photo today:

She says it’s been there for weeks. For those of you familiar with the area, it’s along that marshy section of 37 between Sears Point and Mare Island.

Like, do you just keep the half that didn’t blow off the truck and try to find another double wide half that matches the good half?

Do never buy a double wide. And do never buy in general.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Queen Victorian posted:

So... quasi-serious question: what happens when you buy a double wide and then during transport, half the house blows off the truck into a marsh and is unretrievable without closing the highway, which is highly difficult to close because it’s two lanes with a median and no shoulder and also an important Bay Area commute route with no easy detour?

She says it’s been there for weeks. For those of you familiar with the area, it’s along that marshy section of 37 between Sears Point and Mare Island.

Like, do you just keep the half that didn’t blow off the truck and try to find another double wide half that matches the good half?

FoB destination

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

B-Nasty posted:

Um, unless you had a record-setting rain or something, this is a crucial step in the process.

Last thing you want is to be under contract and have the basement flood again before inspection. Buyers will run for the exit.
Nah, only Jesus would walk away from that basement.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dik Hz posted:

So I'm an IK in this thread now to help out Moneyball. I guess my 6'er button works.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dik Hz posted:

Someone who probates themselves first thing when they get buttons.

:hmmyes:

Moneball choose well.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So let's say I probated a fellow IKer just to see if I could. How do I undo that probation? (Or can I?)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I for one think you guys are handling this newfound power just fine

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Sundae posted:

So let's say I probated a fellow IKer just to see if I could. How do I undo that probation? (Or can I?)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Moneball choose well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Queen Victorian posted:

Buy a new half. I doubt that's the first time it's ever happened, although now I wonder if it easier to buy a whole new house rather than have one half remade.

I saw a seriously old single wide in a ditch in Montana, on the next trip it was getting mercilessly torn apart and placed in dumpsters. It was great, like watching a group of scavengers pick apart roadkill.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Moneball choose well.

probes everyone but GGGC? you've entrusted that power to the wrong person.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

probes everyone but GGGC? you've entrusted that power to the wrong person.
GGGC is a good poster now, but everyone acts surprised at each decent post and references his long history of poo poo posting. That's gotta be way more deflating than a comedy 6'er.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Those weren't even my shitposts, I was just holding them for a friend

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It pains me to give you credit for good posts

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What free software is good for floor plans? If not free at least cheapish.

I do have some autodesk stuff already, fusion, AutoCAD, and inventor. AutoCAD would probably be the best for this of that list but I'd like something that made moving things around easier.

Goal is to figure out positioning of stuff for a workshop to maximize useful space without making stuff inaccessible. No points for realistic lighting or colors, just accurate representation of the sizes.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm getting my popcorn ceilings scraped and retextured this week. The workers took down the central air HVAC's intake vent and air filter so now it's just a giant gaping hole sucking in all this dust when the AC kicks on (it's still like 85 out here). They aren't going to finish for 5 more days. How bad is that? If bad, any workarounds?

e: past the cutoff date for asbestos concerns

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 26, 2020

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

drat Bananas posted:

I'm getting my popcorn ceilings scraped and retextured this week. The workers took down the central air HVAC's intake vent and air filter so now it's just a giant gaping hole sucking in all this dust when the AC kicks on (it's still like 85 out here). They aren't going to finish for 5 more days. How bad is that? If bad, any workarounds?

e: past the cutoff date for asbestos concerns

I'm not sure I know what you mean by past the cutoff, and I'm not sure I'd want to at this point.

Have they set up some kind of containment? Or are you saying all of the dust is literally just getting circulated?

That's a lot of dust and it will damage the air quality. You will be cleaning it for the rest of your life. You will want to get your ducts cleaned. We scraped some ceilings with all our ducts blocked and are sealed off, and we also did not run ac - this was a year ago and there is still dust everywhere.

It's not good for your health, but it's better than asbestos.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Sorry, I meant the house was built in the 90s so unless the builders were using incredibly old stock, they likely did not use asbestosy material that is usually a concern in 70s and earlier houses. So the dust in question is just regular dust, and not cancer dust.

The only dust containment is plastic sheeting taped together covering all the floors, walls, cabinets etc. I'm going to see if I can put the vent and filter back up right now, so that at least it's installed for overnight. I'll talk to them in the morning to see if they are able to leave it on, or at least only leave it off while the area immediately around it is being directly worked on. But they might have to take it off again for the retexture, then primer, then paint steps...

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 26, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Sorry, I meant the house was built in the 90s so unless the builders were using incredibly old stock, they likely did not use asbestosy material that is usually a concern in 70s and earlier houses. So the dust in question is just regular dust, and not cancer dust.

The only dust containment is plastic sheeting taped together covering all the floors, walls, cabinets etc. I'm going to see if I can put the vent and filter back up right now, so that at least it's installed for overnight. I'll talk to them in the morning to see if they are able to leave it on, or at least only leave it off while the area immediately around it is being directly worked on. But they might have to take it off again for the retexture, then primer, then paint steps...

They should be sealing those ducts and you shouldn't be running the ac at all. While you won't get cancer I assume it's a silicosis risk, which leads to COPD, and is generally a terrible thing to do to your lungs. You should rent or buy a hepa filter or three to cycle the air in your house.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Does anyone have fridge or washer/dryer recommendations for New Zealand?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Gotcha. It was hard to get the actual vent cover back up into the ceiling (it's a square and there are only 3 screws taped to the back of the vent cover, and I only saw 2 screw holes in the ceiling anyway ??), not to mention all the light fixtures were taken down so I was working off just my cellphone flashlight in the dark... so my MacGyver idea was to just pop the filter itself into the recessed hole, and use masking tape all around to fix it in place. I also turned the AC off for the night and opened some windows. Repeat for the upstairs intake vent as it had been taken down as well. Hopefully that stems the flow of floating dust from getting into that side of the system. But there are way too many gaping open output vents all around the house for me to do anything about tonight.

I think I'm going to ask the owner of the company to deduct the amount of a duct cleaning from the final portion of my bill. He also quoted me 5 work days total and the actual men working on it are expecting it to take 9, meaning I have to burn more PTO... so I feel that's a fair ask.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Ok yeah I was hoping you meant built in 90s, I'm glad to hear that.

That crew should have blocked those vent holes (cover with plastic and tape). They should have told you to not run the AC.

Even well sealed vents often leaves you with dust everywhere, it will find it's way into any little opening or crack. Honestly there's just so much loving dust when you scrape down popcorn/drywall/mud. It's basically just dust compressed into rocks.

And I'd absolutely talk to the owner. From what I've heard scraping/ceilings is a bit of a sub-trade so they should know to air seal properly when working. Also, 9 days vs 5 days is a massive whiff on the quote. Did they tell you why the difference?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
It sounds like there was just really bad communication between the owner and "crew." When I say crew, that is because I was expecting a crew of 4 or 5 guys - a couple working on the upstairs area, and a couple working downstairs. But it's just 2 guys for 1800 sqft of house. When I answered the door they were surprised that this is an occupied home with people and furniture, so they spent the first day consolidating furniture outside of their first project area, and moving other stuff into the garage. The owner made it sound like they'd just put plastic over my furniture, but these guys apparently will only work in completely empty rooms.

I raised the question with the owner after day 3 that I highly doubted they would finish in 5 (had only touched 2 bedrooms and their adjoining jack-and-jill bath), and he said he would see about getting more guys. 3 days later and I've seen no one, nor heard a peep back. :iiam:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So wife and I are beginning to seriously prep for a big master bed and bath reno. This will be my first big reno and given the plans we have for the bathroom being non standard (removing large jacuzzi tub, replacing with large walk in). I expect the bathroom job to be more specialized since it will likely involve gutting to studs.
My question is, who do I go to once we have the cash in hand to get this process started? My assumption is find a general contractor, but if we have very specific ideas for the bathroom, do I need to seek out a more specialized outfit to at least get a design/plans on paper?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I have a small town lot and an old garage in the rear of the property, only accessible from a vacated alleyway. Been having issues with the white trash neighbor, so finally said gently caress it and started the process of putting in a privacy fence and a driveway. Used a 2013 property survey and pins to plan, obtain permits, get variance approval from zoning, and construct a fence. Even got signatures from the landlord to install a fence on the property line itself. I’ve got a guy coming over in two weeks to pour a concrete driveway from the fence to the house (~11’).

Still need to do some cleanup and will install gates at the proper height once the concrete is poured.

This whole thing has been a lot of work to install and source materials for what with covid restricting manufacturing and everyone else doing house stuff this year.

Queue Friday morning. Remember the white trash neighbor? Well the corner lot has been having issues with him, and after seeing at my fence, decided to get a survey and put in their own gently caress you fence.

All that was hunky dorey until I see some guy putzing around in my driveway. I decided to go talk to him, and it turns out the surveyor doing the house two lots over decided the pins he placed in 2013 were incorrect, and needed moved a foot and a half over. So he took the liberty of pulling the marked survey pins and shifting them over.

Suddenly, my brand new fence is encroaching 1.5’ onto the neighbor’s property, and I have no idea for what this means in terms of my ability to pour a concrete driveway as part of it would be on the neighbor’s property now. Additionally, I now have a misplaced fence on the other side too, 1.5’ short of the boundary:

(Re: broken wall cap, the flipper dropped a tree on the retaining wall cap and took the block that fit in to hide the problem from me while I was preoccupied with the old fence he destroyed, I need to chisel a new stone to fit and mortar it back together)

My understanding is that it isn’t legal to tamper with survey pins, especially without a certified survey of the property. I suspect the source of the problem is the survey is being based on the curb of a nearby street, which was widened and repaved two years ago.

I was told the owner of the survey company would come out and make things correct, but instead he just offered to move a handful of fence panels encroaching on one side over a foot and a half, which is of zero interest or use to me and severely constricts my <11’ driveway to barely big enough to eke a car through, and does nothing for the rest of the panels installed over a now incorrect property line. This is hugely problematic and I really have absolutely no idea what to do here. Any y’all have any experience or advice?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Call your lawyer yesterday.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Nybble posted:

This and nothing else.

There's so many what-ifs that only a lawyer can sort it out. It'll probably cost money for the lawyer and for a new 3rd party survey. If the new stakes are correct, then you're probably SOL and letting the survey company move the fence for you (since you placed it based on their mistake) is about the best you'll get.

But there could be easements involved, or you may be able to force an easement to allow access to the garage, or a dozen other possibilities. Might be able to pave a driveway over the line or something, but don't count on it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly property line issues is what keeps me up at night (well nto really but probably the biggest fear when it comes to homeownership in a city/town). treelaw so what.. property lines is where you get right hosed. You can do everything right and by the book then the survey comeany comes by and says whoops we hosed up 10 years ago call your lawyer. And now your 10k in debt to a lawfirm.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nybble posted:

Thanks for the confirmation.

I made the mistake and contacted the village zoning and inspection office which probably should have been my last step getting them involved. At this time the lovely neighbor is not aware of the property line adjustments, but at least he’s a renter. Would it be advisable to even try reaching out to the 95 year old slumlord to see if I could buy that 1.5’ back? Or wait and let lawyer handle that communication?

I’ve got some free legal counsel time from work and am willing to pony up to fight this thing. I’ve been asking around for advice and working on getting my documentation, notes, and pictures together before it gets to that point, but I think you guys are right, a lawyer is probably the only person that can give me answers and options right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lawyer.

Lawyer lawyer lawyer lawyer.

Lawyer.

Maybe your lawyer (call your lawyer) will tell you to have a heart to heart with the landlord next door, but don't do that until they tell you to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are LAWYER you sure Cyrano (lawyer)? Because I think lawyer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Loud and clear, I’ll get that ball rolling.

Appreciate the feedback!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the confirmation.

I made the mistake and contacted the village zoning and inspection office which probably should have been my last step getting them involved. At this time the lovely neighbor is not aware of the property line adjustments, but at least he’s a renter. Would it be advisable to even try reaching out to the 95 year old slumlord to see if I could buy that 1.5’ back? Or wait and let lawyer handle that communication?

I’ve got some free legal counsel time from work and am willing to pony up to fight this thing. I’ve been asking around for advice and working on getting my documentation, notes, and pictures together before it gets to that point, but I think you guys are right, a lawyer is probably the only person that can give me answers and options right now.

You could certainly buy the land if the owner is willing to sell it. He clearly thought the land wasn't even his to begin with since he let you build a fence on it, so no big loss (though don't underestimate people's stubbornness over mah propertah :argh:). Could always pitch it to him as lower property taxes since he'll own less land.

Or you might be able to get an easement written up that allows you to pave a driveway that is part-way on his land. Bonus if you can get a fence too, but at that point he may as well just sell the land.

In all cases you'll need a lawyer to help sort out the actual status of the land, and what you can/cannot do about it. Honestly it's probably not even worth contacting the owner before you have a lawyer look at it. No sense in trying to buy land if it's already yours, or if there's already an easement on it.

Whatever happens, keep multiple copies of any paperwork within reach once the dust settles. Someone's going to move in later and see an old deed or survey or something and try to do something stupid like tear down your fence. The quicker you can show them something official-looking, the sooner you can stop them before they wreck poo poo.

edit:

The more I think about it, the more you probably want to fight for at LEAST an easement if one doesn't already exist. If it's narrow enough where it's hard to get a car through, then without an easement there's nothing stopping your neighbor from building a fence. I mean, boundary fences generally require approval of the neighbor, but I dunno how far it needs to be before it no longer requires your approval.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 28, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I think you should move the survey stakes and the fence a few inches closer to their property each week until it's right back where you had it, and gaslight your neighbor when they question what's happening.

Do it in the middle of the night, while wearing a mask made to look like your neighbor's face, and show him the security camera footage if he gets upset.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’ve got some free legal counsel time from work and am willing to pony up to fight this thing.
IANAL, but these are pretty worthless for anything other than letter writing. Get recommendations and get your own attorney.

Source: My partner is an attorney who used to be on one of these programs. She hated it because the program way oversold it. The clients of the program routinely thought they were getting a full custody litigation for their $15/month payment to the program. When in reality the program only covered an hour consult. And the clients who thought they were getting everything were understandably miffed when they found out they'd have to put up a 4-5 figure retainer to proceed.

I think a better way to proceed would be to ask any lawyers or lawyer-adjacent people (anyone who works in the courthouse, LEOs, etc.) that you know who they would use to help with a property line dispute. Lawyers spend a lot of time ranking other lawyers.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’ve been asking around for advice and working on getting my documentation, notes, and pictures together before it gets to that point, but I think you guys are right, a lawyer is probably the only person that can give me answers and options right now.
Your lawyer would be the best person to ask what documentation, notes, and pictures are best. No sense creating unnecessary work for yourself because asking your lawyer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm concurring with lawyer being the next step, but I want to add that you definitely shouldn't enter into any negotiation of any kind until you have actually established with certainty where the actual property line is (which means your lawyer says you have), because I am guessing there's a good chance the newly-placed survey markers are wrong. I also believe that you also do not want to establish admissible evidence that you accept the new property line if you do not in fact legally accept the new property line, so don't do something that, for example, would give your neighbor documentation to that effect. In my non-lawyer opinion which is not legal advice.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

(a bunch of legal advice)
In my non-lawyer opinion which is not legal advice.
You're really burying the lede on that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dik Hz posted:

You're really burying the lede on that post.

It's just a very specific list of things not to do that is covered generally with don't do anything until you've talked to a lawyer.