Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cease to Hope posted:

Don't be cheeky, be direct. Just make them Necromunda black bloc that beat some Palatinites and stole their gear.

Kitbash them to look like people wearing partial Enforcer gear, using parts from other gangs, Chaos or GS cultists, or Imperial Guard. Sculpt bullet holes and dents in their gear, and just paint it all as vandalized with stuff like ACAB.

This isn't a bad idea (in fact it's a good one) but it's not really the concept I was working from/towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Palatine Judiciary, Sector 1312. Arbite Constables, Armoured Brigade.

Name individuals after breeds of pig?

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

https://puppetswar.eu/pig-hybrid-heads.html

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Has anyone tried playing Necromunda using Grimdark Future: Firefight?

I'm interested in playing retro-munda as the ever growing list of books and models for the current Necromunda is a real turn off. I want a game I can play, not a meta to chase.

I know that Yaktribe has a community book, but I love One Page Rules boiled down rules. Just curious how OPR works with Necromunda campaign rules. Or what other Goons have tried.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question about how the Underworlds cards work:

So I split a Nightvault box with a friend at a pretty deep discount since I guess my local store is trying to move old stuff in preparation for the new expansion, and I snagged the Nighthaunt half. From what I can tell, the cards break down like this:

Nighthaunt Cards: Core faction cards that are good / competition legal regardless of expansion
Core Set Extra Cards: Cards that either faction can use, but were no longer competition legal once Beastgrave came out
Stormcast Eternal Cards: Same as Nighthaunt cards

Is that correct? And are each faction's cards specific to them? i.e. I couldn't use any of the cards in the Stormcast deck and vice versa? I know that most competition decks use cards from a whole bunch of sets and my friend mostly wanted the minis so I just want to know if I should try to scoop up his Stormcast deck if he bounces off of the game itself.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The cards marked in the corner with the faction symbol are only usable by that warband, while cards with the universal symbol (#5, below) can be used by anyone.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Nightvault universals are competion legal until Direchasm shows up. Even then, a large part of the universals in the Direchasm core box is most likely reprints of the ones in Nightvault, so the Nightvault cards can still be used.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Those are kinda cool, but either puppetswar or kromlech have some warthog heads that look just like the pig cops from duke nukem which I think are even better.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Electric Hobo posted:

The Nightvault universals are competion legal until Direchasm shows up. Even then, a large part of the universals in the Direchasm core box is most likely reprints of the ones in Nightvault, so the Nightvault cards can still be used.

So you can use older versions of reprints without any problem? Kinda surprised GW doesn't force you to double-dip, but I'm not gonna complain.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Exactly, the old cards are just treated as if they have the text from the newest version on them.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have finished up my first, and most heavily converted, gang member for my Coal Mining Equipment themed Ogryn gang. Sure, the rock saw might be a bit of expensive overkill, but im really happy with how the conversion came out.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Picking a few of those tubes out with a different colour would make that thing look a lot better imo. Cool guy though, love the gore.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So you can use older versions of reprints without any problem? Kinda surprised GW doesn't force you to double-dip, but I'm not gonna complain.

Electric Hobo posted:

Exactly, the old cards are just treated as if they have the text from the newest version on them.

To clarify, as long as the text on the old card exactly matches the new card, it is usable. IIRC, there have been a few cards that have had wording changed, so, even though they are the same card name, they aren't technically the same card. Most cards haven't changed though, so you're good.

As for double-dipping, there are more than enough new cards in each season to force you to buy the new sets. GW isn't hurting for money on WHU, especially with BS $35 card expansions that contain really, really good cards that you cannot get anywhere else.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Do we know what and when the next necromunda release is gonna be? The gang expansion kits have been great for Orlocks and all so far.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

To clarify, as long as the text on the old card exactly matches the new card, it is usable. IIRC, there have been a few cards that have had wording changed, so, even though they are the same card name, they aren't technically the same card. Most cards haven't changed though, so you're good.
They don't have to have the same text, since you just act as if it does. Snip from the championship rules:
"However, universal cards from previous sets (i.e. sets not listed above) that have been reprinted in the above sets are considered legal, but are assumed to have the wording of the most recent version printed".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Do we know what and when the next necromunda release is gonna be? The gang expansion kits have been great for Orlocks and all so far.

This was the roadmap in June:

E: Do we count the Catachan Sarge as being part of the "Orlock Release" as well?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 17, 2020

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

They don't have to have the same text, since you just act as if it does. Snip from the championship rules:
"However, universal cards from previous sets (i.e. sets not listed above) that have been reprinted in the above sets are considered legal, but are assumed to have the wording of the most recent version printed".

Interesting - is that relatively new?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Interesting - is that relatively new?

I remember it being there when they updated the rules after the gift pack came out, so we could show off our promo keys, and enjoy some Rebound again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jadebullet posted:

I have finished up my first, and most heavily converted, gang member for my Coal Mining Equipment themed Ogryn gang. Sure, the rock saw might be a bit of expensive overkill, but im really happy with how the conversion came out.

This owns x

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I suck at photo taking but I finished my cop gang

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
For someone shying away from the larger scale battles of 40K and AoS... is Necromunda worth picking up? I'm a big fan of Warcry, Kill Team and Underworlds and would like to add some more flavour into my "buffet" style approach to both the hobby and the gaming side.

jadebullet posted:

This is amazing. Like someone said, pick out some details so it looks a little less homogeneous in colour and texture. Please post more pics if you decide to do this!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Necromunda is considerably more complicated and deeper than both Warcry and Kill Team. The depth may be comparable to Underworlds although in a very different way. Necromunda is more like playing an adversarial party-based RPG, as the character development is really granular and varied, and there’s absolutely loads of weird and niche wargear/weapons to equip them with.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

working mom posted:

Got frustrated with my pink hue the DG were taking on post wash so till I figure out what to do figured I'd paint a palette cleanser

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Is...is that the classic X-COM helmet, by any chance? If so, very nice! :D (I mean, very nice either way - just bonus points if it's an X-COM reference)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Major Isoor posted:

Is...is that the classic X-COM helmet, by any chance? If so, very nice! :D (I mean, very nice either way - just bonus points if it's an X-COM reference)

The X-com designs themselves are basically DIRECT knockoffs of Jim Lee and Liefeld comics in the 90s, or even earlier comic designs.

Oh man lemme blow your mind here.

First,

Not only can you see the main dude with his latex face mask, but in the corner there, the green guy? That's the Muton design in X-COM

Second, there was this comic in the 80s called The Alien Legion which featured basically the exact concept of X-COM, and even included snake-people

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The X-com designs themselves are basically DIRECT knockoffs of Jim Lee and Liefeld comics in the 90s, or even earlier comic designs.

Oh man lemme blow your mind here.

First,

Not only can you see the main dude with his latex face mask, but in the corner there, the green guy? That's the Muton design in X-COM

Second, there was this comic in the 80s called The Alien Legion which featured basically the exact concept of X-COM, and even included snake-people

Oh wow, I hadn't realised that they were ripping-off comics, with that! Also, who is that with the long blonde hair coming out over his mask? Looks like it's meant to be Deadpool With Hair(tm)

hahah yeah I love that expression, in the intro vid. I really wish we had a smilie (and an :eyepop: variant of it) in SA, since that would be fantastic :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't realised that they were ripping-off comics, with that! Also, who is that with the long blonde hair coming out over his mask? Looks like it's meant to be Deadpool With Hair(tm)

That's Grifter.

And the thing is, Jim Lee is an artist who has worked on Deadpool, he was the guy drawing Deadpool for awhile. So after he starts working on his own characters... some similar designs pop up. You see that a lot with artists, having a look.

Its like how Chrono Trigger was designed by Akira Toriyama, so everybody looks like Dragon Ball Z characters.

Its a certain aesthetic / style / schtick.

Like, here's Jim Lee doing X-Men

Look at both Cyclops and especially Gambit's clothing. But Lee wasn't even the only one doing those bodysuit cutout designs in the 90s, it was everywhere.

E: Oh also the original DOS intro to the first X-COM game has literal comic book panels. Its easy to overlook but in hindsight its totally riffing on 90s comics.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 24, 2020

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

As others have posted, just a thing of the time I'm afraid and I was just following the original scheme

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

ineptmule posted:

Necromunda is considerably more complicated and deeper than both Warcry and Kill Team. The depth may be comparable to Underworlds although in a very different way. Necromunda is more like playing an adversarial party-based RPG, as the character development is really granular and varied, and there’s absolutely loads of weird and niche wargear/weapons to equip them with.

Sounds pretty great tbh.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Necromunda seems awesome but I'm wary of it because there are probably a few really broken options that I should be aware of if my friends and I were to start a campaign. I heard a lot about grenade launchers being overpowered for the points, is that still the case?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Booyah- posted:

Necromunda seems awesome but I'm wary of it because there are probably a few really broken options that I should be aware of if my friends and I were to start a campaign. I heard a lot about grenade launchers being overpowered for the points, is that still the case?

Necromunda is not balanced that well, but its a beer and pretzel game so youd generally play it with friends so coming to a rule of cool instead of power gaming agreement doesnt hurt

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DrDraxium posted:

Sounds pretty great tbh.

Yeah it owns.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booyah- posted:

Grenade launchers and many other blast and template weapons are problematic because RAW they provide a very easy way to circumvent the cover rules that make fighters hard to hit with normal shooting when behind barricades and suchlike. Most of these weapons have price or other rule factors to balance them in some way but it’s far from perfect.

Flamer templates for example were clearly identified by the designers as being very powerful, eg. Hand flamers cost like 80 credits or something, while a bolt gun costs 50ish, normal flamers are 140. But a heavy flamer costs almost 200 credits and never sees play because it adds almost nothing on top of the regular flamer for the cost. The main reason flamers are extremely good is due to the Blaze trait which has an equal chance to set dudes on fire whether it’s a hand flamer or a heavy flamer, and other factors like weapon availability also come into play to make the heavy flamer less viable.

The game is full of stuff like that. It’s just how it is, and you need to encourage your group to play with a less competitive mindset. Not always easy but it’s a lot of fun if people can get into the right frame of mind.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Booyah- posted:

If your friends are chill, it’s excellent: corollary, one rules lawyer/power gaming rear end in a top hat will land you in jail for murder.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Necromunda seems awesome but I'm wary of it because there are probably a fewmany, oh so many really broken options that I should be aware of if my friends and I were to start a campaign.
As stated, NM is not at all balanced, and you have to come into it with a "screw it, let's just go loving nuts" attitude or else you are going to have a bad time. The whole point of NM is to have very awesome, cinematic events occur that you'll be talking about for years.

Example: I had a game where our leaders happened to be facing off on a tower, built from the old NM cardboard/plastic terrain. There was a passthrough where my leader stuck her plasma pistol through and fired off a round into the opposing leader's face, knocking him back, and causing him to fall a couple of levels to the ground. However, on my ammo check, my leader's plasma pistol exploded, knocking her off the gantry as well, where she fell to her death. It was amazing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

Example: I had a game where our leaders happened to be facing off on a tower, built from the old NM cardboard/plastic terrain. There was a passthrough where my leader stuck her plasma pistol through and fired off a round into the opposing leader's face, knocking him back, and causing him to fall a couple of levels to the ground. However, on my ammo check, my leader's plasma pistol exploded, knocking her off the gantry as well, where she fell to her death. It was amazing.

This is exactly why it is the ultimate game.

One thing is don't get intimidated by the number of books. They definitely don't expect you to use every rule all the time in every campaign. Just start with basic Gangs with none of the allies stuff or crazy gear from the later books and just build up as you go along.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

One thing is don't get intimidated by the number of books. They definitely don't expect you to use every rule all the time in every campaign. Just start with basic Gangs with none of the allies stuff or crazy gear from the later books and just build up as you go along.

Or use the Necromunda Community Edition Rulebook and Outlanders Community Edition for free on Yaktribe and skip the eternal purchasing of new books from GW.

The Necromunda Rulebook
Necromunda: The Book of Ruin
Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive
Necromunda: The Book of Peril
Necromunda: The Book of Judgement
Necromunda: House of Blades
Necromunda: House of Chains

and on and on it goes...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Or use the Necromunda Community Edition Rulebook and Outlanders Community Edition for free on Yaktribe and skip the eternal purchasing of new books from GW.

The Necromunda Rulebook
Necromunda: The Book of Ruin
Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive
Necromunda: The Book of Peril
Necromunda: The Book of Judgement
Necromunda: House of Blades
Necromunda: House of Chains

and on and on it goes...

TBH, you really only need the core rulebook and GotH to play, assuming you're not wanting to play Corpse Grinders or Space Cops. The "House of" books are "codexes" that are entirely optional among friends (especially since all of the houses don't have theirs yet) and the "Book of" books are more special campaigns and not at all a requirement.

The downside to the original NCR (well, NM in general,) is that the gangs are essentially the same, and you only really start to see variation as a campaign progresses. NM17 actually has some variation out of the gate, which is expounded upon by the "House of" books. It's a drat shame that the new NCR isn't being updated anymore, though I imagine it was a bookkeeping nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sounds like that sweet spectacle you can get from Warcry, but with a bit more granularity and crunch, which is fine by me.

As someone with nothing Necromunda, do I just need the books, terrain and a gang?
The starter set is pricey but includes lots of shiny gubbinz, so it is tempting.