Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Oh come on man, I randomly decided to talk to a Toad and it gave me a star? I've been ignoring these fuckers
You get what you deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

You get what you deserve.

I don't want to talk to Trumps dick :colbert:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I finally made it to Tick Tock Clock (great level, btw), and one of the stars is called "The Pit and the Pendulums" which is, uh, an odd reference. "The Pit and the Pendulum" is a story by Edgar Allan Poe about a man being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition. I haven't read it, but the synopsis makes it sound like something out of Saw. So, um, strange choice of reference.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heath posted:

MGS2 did. 3 too I think

Gran Turismos and other driving games did as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple Mario fails

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308678022577360897?s=21
https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1308552067649159168?s=21

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DorianGravy posted:

I finally made it to Tick Tock Clock (great level, btw)

I never do this, but...

MODS?!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Did that Miyamoto quote about a rushed game being bad forever get spoken before or after the release of Super Mario Sunshine?

Regardless, I guess I give Nintendo respect for fixing nothing in the game and leaving it bad forever as a monument. Love the style and the game for the most part, but one of the few 3D Mario games I'm just straight up fine skipping numerous shines/collectibles because it simply isn't fun to get them. It's a flawed/unfinished game but still pretty neat.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I can’t stop playing Mario Picross, please send help.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh poo poo I forgot Mario Picross was out

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tato posted:

Did that Miyamoto quote about a rushed game being bad forever get spoken before or after the release of Super Mario Sunshine?

Regardless, I guess I give Nintendo respect for fixing nothing in the game and leaving it bad forever as a monument. Love the style and the game for the most part, but one of the few 3D Mario games I'm just straight up fine skipping numerous shines/collectibles because it simply isn't fun to get them. It's a flawed/unfinished game but still pretty neat.

The quote was from the delay of SM64, which also delayed the release of the N64 itself by 3 months

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Was Sunshine even rushed? It wasn't a launch title.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308935222331932672

Kirby's out, has online but the description only mentions random matchmaking for team battles and judging by the trailer the story mode appears to contain no story

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a lot of Kirbys in the roster

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
why

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
HAL's decision to turn kirby into final fantasy by releasing spinoffs of spinoffs of throwaway bonus modes and sequels to all of the above is really funny to me so i hope they keep doing it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

DorianGravy posted:

I finally made it to Tick Tock Clock (great level, btw), and one of the stars is called "The Pit and the Pendulums" which is, uh, an odd reference. "The Pit and the Pendulum" is a story by Edgar Allan Poe about a man being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition. I haven't read it, but the synopsis makes it sound like something out of Saw. So, um, strange choice of reference.

whatever you do, don't look into the manta ray in sunshine

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1308915667924590592?s=19

Retweeted by David Gibson(tokyo based tech journalist who specifically covers Nintendo)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

pulled off an accidental galaxy brained kill on this eyeball, for nothing
https://twitter.com/Real_ManJackson/status/1308944501684105216?s=19

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Am I crazy or is there a video of one of those real in depth mario 64 youtubers who did a video showing mario's jump height with a coin at the lowest point?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Len posted:

Am I crazy or is there a video of one of those real in depth mario 64 youtubers who did a video showing mario's jump height with a coin at the lowest point?

Sounds like pannenkoek

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1308915667924590592?s=19

Retweeted by David Gibson(tokyo based tech journalist who specifically covers Nintendo)
Do Switch games even have unlocked frame rates? I thought basically everything used dynamic resolution scaling (which would also easily benefit from a Switch Pro).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cheetah7071 posted:

Sounds like pannenkoek

That's what I thought and I swear I saw it in the impzone mario video thread but I can't find it now

And nobody believes me that it's a thing and drat it I have to prove I'm right

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dabir posted:

pulled off an accidental galaxy brained kill on this eyeball, for nothing
https://twitter.com/Real_ManJackson/status/1308944501684105216?s=19

That guy is so loving hard to kill, good work

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Was Sunshine even rushed? It wasn't a launch title.

Neither was Wind Waker and yet we know they cut dungeons to get that out when they did

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

Do Switch games even have unlocked frame rates? I thought basically everything used dynamic resolution scaling (which would also easily benefit from a Switch Pro).

I can think of a few but yeah dynamic resolution is much more common. Though I guess same result, that would be an automatic boost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's actually been a 3D Mario or Zelda game that wasn't over ambitious in planning and "cut" or "rushed"

3D world sure, but in the 64 line

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Calling it now for posterity since everyone said I was a dumb rear end in a top hat when I suggested a Switch Lite years ago:

Next Switch will be a traditional style console unit, no battery. Hooks up to a TV, no portable mode but supports 4k. Probably will have a small footprint and possibly be +/- a built in screen a la the existing, just larger and can be "flipped up" so you can take it with you and set it on a table or desk anywhere, plug it in, and play on that. Will come with a Switch controller or Pro controller.

... may still have a battery, actually, but I'm betting they cut the cost there and redirect it into the hardware and possibly the larger, higher res screen.

Will retail for $349.

Yes I'm crazy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's the point of planning, no? You lay out everything you might like to do, decide how important everything is, then as things go along you figure out what you can't do, what turns out to be a bad idea, maybe you have to give up on finishing some things because of external problems.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Bloop posted:

I wonder if there's actually been a 3D Mario or Zelda game that wasn't over ambitious in planning and "cut" or "rushed"
FTFY

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Tato posted:

Yeah, there's definitely something about it that feels *off* about Sunshine, even for a game from 2002.

Like I just finished that first mecha bowser boss on the roller coaster. I think the idea of having you ride a coaster is neat, but it just felt nauseating and not fun at all in practice. For a good amount of the coaster's track, you're not even close enough to the robot. And all that's really going on is fighting off a few bullet bills and then shooting the robot with a rocket. Feels like there was probably more going on along the track at one point in the development?

Like I'm having enough fun to finish the game, but it always feels like there shoulda been "more" in every shine. Someone here mentioned the weird focus on veritcality, and I'm still really confused why they required the somersault jump all the time. I mean, it's satisfying that I have the somersault jump down pat at this point, but still.

I do like how E. Gadd made FLUDD, though. Some fun, if small, nod to Luigi's Mansion.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Getting rid of portable mode would be monumentally loving stupid and remove the main point that differentiates the console. They won’t do that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd rather Mario aim for Mars and reach the Moon than aim for the Moon and miss.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea if I had to be tied to a TV or whatever I'd just get one of the better consoles. 90% of my switch gaming is portable on my commute or lunch breaks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My only prediction for a new more powerful switch is they will still not drop the price of the old one

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tato posted:

Getting rid of portable mode would be monumentally loving stupid and remove the main point that differentiates the console. They won’t do that.

I mean, people said this years ago about a fixed portable only Switch with no TV connectivity, so...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A lot of the cutting room floor stuff isn't cut because the game was rushed, it's cut because they tried it and decided they didn't like it

Like OoT originally had the medallions be equippable items that cast spells, and the recent leaks shows it got as far as implementing several of them. But I don't really feel like cutting them was because they ran out of time or anything. They just repurposed the idea of them into the spells you get from great fairy fountains

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fuzz posted:

I mean, people said this years ago about a fixed portable only Switch with no TV connectivity, so...

And that switch is stocked on shelves whole the real switch is sold out at every local Walmart, target, and best buy. It's pretty hilarious

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Violen posted:

HAL's decision to turn kirby into final fantasy by releasing spinoffs of spinoffs of throwaway bonus modes and sequels to all of the above is really funny to me so i hope they keep doing it

Kirby has always been 50% actual 'mainline' titles and 50% spin offs.

If Nintendo has a idea for a game concept they usually ask to slap Kirby on it as he's so easy to just kinda slot into everything.

E: Also story mode won't have a story until the literal final second when suddenly something really important will happen that effects [Kirby Lore] and make people like me freak out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Len posted:

And that switch is stocked on shelves whole the real switch is sold out at every local Walmart, target, and best buy. It's pretty hilarious

Standing by my prediction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yeah but i specifically mean the recent trend of taking extra modes from the mainline platformers and turning them into their own standalone releases and sequelizing those releases, which is much funnier to me than kirby being a recognition stamp for random concepts, because that brand of kirby spinoff owns