Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you are here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

From 1921 to 1929, the Dow Jones rocketed from 60 to 400, creating many new millionaires. Very soon, stock trading became America’s favorite pastime as investors jockeyed to make a quick killing. Investors mortgaged their homes and foolishly invested their life savings into hot stocks such as Ford and RCA. To the average investor, stocks were practically a sure thing. Few people actually studied the finances and underlying businesses of the companies that they invested in. Thousands of fraudulent companies were formed to hoodwink unsavvy investors. Most investors never even thought a crash was possible – in their minds, the stock market “always went up.”

just a cool paragraph i found, thought it looked neat, no bigger significance there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Declan MacManus posted:

you'll be getting a personal digital savings account with the fed that you can either withdraw your money from

or invest

they made it sound like a govt backed cryptocurrency so I assume it’ll be like:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think what is amazing about that time period was there wasn’t anything even remotely like the ‘33 or ‘34 act

people were throwing money into a furnace without even the rudimentary protection of the poo poo we have now

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dustcat posted:

what if i already priced in the dip in my previous purchases

The history of all hitherto existing number has been in the dip

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

just a cool paragraph i found, thought it looked neat, no bigger significance there

This is the correct way to do it. Nerds missing out on all the returns

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

19 o'clock posted:

he did back in April bing bong

yes I’ve had FIRST money but what about SECOND money?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Red Baron posted:

it helps to have PARENTS’ money. that’s the real way to survive this thing.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

log scale doing a lot of work here :smugdog:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

number coming back home to 26k, where it belongs

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

so you will be able to give your fedcoin to your landlord and then your landlord will exchange fedcoin for money?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Red Baron posted:

there’s a joke to be made here about angering a white wizard.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

they made it sound like a govt backed cryptocurrency
no they didn't

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
someone quote this with the thunk supernova, thx

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Gazpacho posted:

lmao this cracked my ping real good

Like you can tell he's gonna argue for culling of the unwashed masses but he can't literally say that out loud

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

:thunk:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Gazpacho posted:

no they didn't

you’re right, digital currency not cryptocurrency, but they seem to be making sure it’s not usd if I’m not mistaken?

definitely post what it is if I’m still wrong pls

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!

Not a Children posted:

lmao this cracked my ping real good

Like you can tell he's gonna argue for culling of the unwashed masses but he can't literally say that out loud

Like the actual gist of the article is that wages need to go up, significantly, and the government should do economic/99% stimulus by investing in big insane infrastructure jobs project to fix all our bridges and roads, etc instead of a free money hose for the rich.

Of course he somehow manages to completely and totally omit that worker wages are low/depressed because the largest employers are shareholder profit driven entities who have no incentive to pay their workers more money and that any giant infrastructure project like that will be completely grifted to poo poo because it will be done by profit driven companies and not a public works govt entity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

public works like that have to pay prevailing union wages most of the time

you are looking at starting at 25 and moving up quick

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

public works like that have to pay prevailing union wages most of the time

you are looking at starting at 25 and moving up quick
correct i do a lot of california public works jobs and prevailing wage is mandatory on all PW jobs. for basic laboror's minimum wage is $37.5/hr with 50% OT and 2X on sunday. equipment operators minimum wage is $65/hr

it's good paying work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

correct i do a lot of california public works jobs and prevailing wage is mandatory on all PW jobs. for basic laboror's minimum wage is $37.5/hr with 50% OT and 2X on sunday. equipment operators minimum wage is $65/hr

it's good paying work.

that’s if fed money is in the job tho I think many states have similar laws for state only projects which are like ... very small

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello I now in training to lay internet cable so people can continue their circuses on their cat video machines. GIVE ME THE PUBLIC WORKS, FIBER EVERYTHING

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"digital dollars" isn't saying much except that the federal reserve banks would be obligors on the accounts, the same way they are for currency in circulation

also it makes the bill snazzy, just like calling an aircraft catapult digital

overall it's a pretty rough bill that doesn't provide a way for banks to cover expenses, or consider edge cases like companies that are Fed member banks but don't offer consumer accounts

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 24, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
it's infuriating because the correct answer is clearly print money and build poo poo. Like, you can give all the projects to massive corporations and the 1% will extract a disproportionate amount but it would still be good for communities in addition to filling the unemployment and poverty gap

but they wont do it. I don't even think "the one percent" are in control. It's gotta be a tiny fraction of them; complete lunatics who would rather NOT get richer if it means helping out poor people. Like I get CEOs are psychopaths but I'd guess 90% of fortune 500 company execs, if individually polled, would woop and cheer for a 20 trillion dollar infrastructure bill. It's like some herd mentally poo poo our something I literally can't figure it out

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
though really I think it's bankers and related industries. Sure they would make money on handing out loans and moving money around and pumping stocks but helicopter money means higher velocity of money and I guess banks wouldn't directly control as much of the currency float by percentage???

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

oxsnard posted:

it's infuriating because the correct answer is clearly print money and build poo poo. Like, you can give all the projects to massive corporations and the 1% will extract a disproportionate amount but it would still be good for communities in addition to filling the unemployment and poverty gap

but they wont do it. I don't even think "the one percent" are in control. It's gotta be a tiny fraction of them; complete lunatics who would rather NOT get richer if it means helping out poor people. Like I get CEOs are psychopaths but I'd guess 90% of fortune 500 company execs, if individually polled, would woop and cheer for a 20 trillion dollar infrastructure bill. It's like some herd mentally poo poo our something I literally can't figure it out

lol they constantly complain when china does this because it is going to magically backfire in their face and uhhh all the infrastructure will go away I guess and won't be useful or productive...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i'd rather build my country's gdp up the honest way, by overcharging them for basic human rights

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

lol they constantly complain when china does this because it is going to magically backfire in their face and uhhh all the infrastructure will go away I guess and won't be useful or productive...

I mean, tbf, china is building a lot of completely pointless infrastructure, like those giant ghost cities

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They complain about it because they don't want people here getting any ideas.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It’s because Marx and Kierkegaard were right and you can’t recreate the same ‘juice’ (inexact term but I am very tired sorry) in an economy once the material conditions and relations of production have changed significantly.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wutang-Yutani CORP posted:

these are cool because the artist seems to have a unique range in style and actual artistic skill while modern political cartoons are total hack garbage.

By varying their style they are missing out on crucial branding. Where would Ben Garrison be without his trademark style? Or Branco?

Amateur hour.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

oxsnard posted:

I mean, tbf, china is building a lot of completely pointless infrastructure, like those giant ghost cities

which ghost cities? most of them are occupied now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It’s because Marx and Kierkegaard were right and you can’t recreate the same ‘juice’ (inexact term but I am very tired sorry) in an economy once the material conditions and relations of production have changed significantly.

a specter is haunting europe - and the juice is loose

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

oxsnard posted:

Because they want to retain control over society at any cost

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I didn't realize Kierkegaard wrote on the economy. I thought he was all existentialism and Jesus.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oxsnard posted:

though really I think it's bankers and related industries. Sure they would make money on handing out loans and moving money around and pumping stocks but helicopter money means higher velocity of money and I guess banks wouldn't directly control as much of the currency float by percentage???

the petit bourgeoisie are in charge. they put their king in as president and he surrounded himself with con artists and car dealers. sure the 1% and finance will get rich as hell off their idiotic spending spree, but they will be horrified as hell at their cocktail parties where they will quietly tell hillary they wish she had won.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

oxsnard posted:

the word you're looking for is "heirs"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Gods_Butthole posted:

I didn't realize Kierkegaard wrote on the economy. I thought he was all existentialism and Jesus.

he didn’t but one of his main points was you cannot recreate and relive the past because you have knowledge of the events as they occurred and that knowledge, in and of itself, precludes such a recreation.

this is a good explanation for the simulacrum in American society, best summarized by James Murphy as ‘borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered ‘80’s’

we can’t recreate the past so we recreate an imagined simulacra of that past, and over time the simulacra overtakes the reality because memory is mostly imagination.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 24, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Has anyone said CATO wife, NATO life yet? I don't want to be repeating anyone, so please let me know if someone has said it already. Otherwise I am going to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

oxsnard posted:

all of that takes longer than one quarter