Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

redpleb posted:

I know everyone is saying to wait to pull the trigger on building a new pc until after the announcement of zen 3 in october, but would it be reasonable to get the parts other than the cpu? like the ram, case, drives and so on?

I think it depends on your needs as for when to buy, but always better to buy everything in one go.

My PC is 10 years old and I'm ready to upgrade so I'm pulling the trigger. I'm going with a 550, so if I want to upgrade to zen 3 eventually I'll be able to flash my BIOS for it. All things being equal, the 3700X will be more than enough for most mainstream games, and if I find myself CPU limited; like I said - I'll be able to upgrade.

Availability is also a concern...the RTX3080 fiasco is proving to me that supply chains are a little borked. Waiting for Zen3 might mean waiting until January/February, for me, and I'd rather do the upgrade before November.

Not sure what the Gooncensus is, but my gut says that Zen3 will be big for the top tier, but the middle and budget lines will be mostly unaffected. It's possible they have something that's 2x as powerful for 1/2 the price, but nvidia sure isn't being coy with that knowledge. I'm guessing Zen3 will have something to take the crown from Intel, or at least make it more of a choice for the super-enthusiast community.
:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

dms666 posted:

I think she plans on using Primiere Pro. I'll look into the 550s as well. Thanks!
If it helps at all, you can get an Adobe Creative Suite pass for $100/year on SA Mart.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
i'm a little surprised by the demand for the 3080, if it retails for 700$ it seems a bit steep to me, I guess that is the price of frame rates, i'm a little more excited for the next ATI cards if they're in that 400-500$ sweet spot, I realized I will need to upgrade monitors anyways since mine only goes up to 75hz

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

infraboy posted:

i'm a little surprised by the demand for the 3080, if it retails for 700$ it seems a bit steep to me, I guess that is the price of frame rates, i'm a little more excited for the next ATI cards if they're in that 400-500$ sweet spot, I realized I will need to upgrade monitors anyways since mine only goes up to 75hz

The 3070 is going to be 500ish and come out before the new AMD cards are launched.

The rumors/expectations seem to be that the top AMD card will be competitive in raw power, but with worse ray tracing performance and no DLSS 2 (plus the usual shitass AMD drivers) the net results will be worse the newer the games are.

I'd love for this to be wrong though so nvidia doesn't have an effective monopoly on The Good poo poo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not sure what the Gooncensus is, but my gut says that Zen3 will be big for the top tier, but the middle and budget lines will be mostly unaffected. It's possible they have something that's 2x as powerful for 1/2 the price, but nvidia sure isn't being coy with that knowledge. I'm guessing Zen3 will have something to take the crown from Intel, or at least make it more of a choice for the super-enthusiast community.

The impact of Zen3 on the budget and midrange world, as always with new high end poo poo, will be to exert downward pressure on prices and increase how far your dollar will stretch as last years high end poo poo becomes the new midrange.

Whether that happens in a meaningful timeframe for your build is another question.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
0 3080s in sight but hey my local Microcenter has 12+ 3090s. Shame it is hardly a bump in performance increase (Unless the page I saw was wrong).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A realist prediction is that it probably be more like Zen 1 (1st gen ryzen) to Zen+ (2000 series): circa 5% faster. Nice but not a big enough performance increase to be worth immediately buying a new CPU or being unhappy that you've got a 3000. But there's been zero good leaks or anything else to go on, this take is based only on the past and the fact that this is a respin on the same 7nm. It's possible that it's a bigger 10% jump but I'd be surprised.

And AMD is in a different position than Nvidia, which is why the different strategy. When you drop hype bombshells about unreleased products you kill the sales of the current stuff. The evidence is that the RTX 2000 series didn't sell all that well in total, so Nvidia didn't care as much about strangling the last 2 months of its life. AMD however, still seems to sell Ryzen 3000s like hotcakes.

tl;dr build a new PC around a Ryzen 3000 if you need a new PC. If the main thing you do is games the GPU is more important anyways.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

A realist prediction is that it probably be more like Zen 1 (1st gen ryzen) to Zen+ (2000 series): circa 5% faster. Nice but not a big enough performance increase to be worth immediately buying a new CPU or being unhappy that you've got a 3000. But there's been zero good leaks or anything else to go on, this take is based only on the past and the fact that this is a respin on the same 7nm. It's possible that it's a bigger 10% jump but I'd be surprised.

And AMD is in a different position than Nvidia, which is why the different strategy. When you drop hype bombshells about unreleased products you kill the sales of the current stuff. The evidence is that the RTX 2000 series didn't sell all that well in total, so Nvidia didn't care as much about strangling the last 2 months of its life. AMD however, still seems to sell Ryzen 3000s like hotcakes.

tl;dr build a new PC around a Ryzen 3000 if you need a new PC. If the main thing you do is games the GPU is more important anyways.

Rumors I read just now were +10-15% IPC boost and +200 MHz boost clock bump, but with better ability to hold boost clocks for longer.

What this amounts to IRL is uh... :iiam:

If you have to wait for an RTX 3070 until October 15th AT BEST anyway, there's no reason not to wait and see what the October 8th Zen 3 announcement is basically.

If you're dropping $700+ on a 3080 now then just do whatever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm building a PC around the 3080 right now (I'll link it when I'm doing shopping around and researching) and I'm in no real rush if only because the 3080 is near-impossible to find right now and I want to see what sort of gains the Zen 3 stuff have over the 3000s. If nothing else, I want to see how they they affect the price. If I can get a CPU for some dollars cheaper then that's a win for me!

Shopping around made me realize how out of the loop I was and have been catching up on what is common knowledge in this topic. It's been pretty fun, to be honest.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

At two weeks out, if you don't need it today, mise wait. If you do need it today, Zen2 isn't about to get worse.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I got a Super Flower Leadex Gold III 750w for a PSU. Now I got my hands on a founder's edition RTX 3080, which uses a 12-pin adapter. Does anyone know if Super Flower plans on releasing a 12-pin adapter for this, or where to find one? I sent them an email but as they seem to be primarily a Taiwanese company I couldn't find any English-language news updates.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

I got a Super Flower Leadex Gold III 750w for a PSU. Now I got my hands on a founder's edition RTX 3080, which uses a 12-pin adapter. Does anyone know if Super Flower plans on releasing a 12-pin adapter for this, or where to find one? I sent them an email but as they seem to be primarily a Taiwanese company I couldn't find any English-language news updates.

The card comes with an adapter. Unless you mean like a custom 12 pin cable for that specific PSU?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Isn't that just a pair of six pins? Never seen a psu without them

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

sean10mm posted:

The card comes with an adapter. Unless you mean like a custom 12 pin cable for that specific PSU?

Yeah, the 3080 FE uses that ugly rear end "two 8-pins into a 12-pin" adapter, which is Fine:

but I was hoping to get one that looks a little better. Almost entirely for aesthetic reasons (it's not like I even have TG windows or anything for the case)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Isn't that just a pair of six pins? Never seen a psu without them

No, it's an entirely different 12 pin connector that draws the power of 2x8 pin PCIe basically.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Houston Rockets posted:

Managed to grab a 3080. Upgrading from a 1070/6700K.

Can someone take a look at this build I put together? This is for gaming, most demanding game I'm playing currently is definitely Flight Sim 2020. I've never been much into overclocking or getting top end components (3080 / Flight Sim hype swept me up though). Still don't plan to overclock I guess.

Should mention this is for 1440p 144hz monitor. Might go ultrawide next year.

Mostly I just like my PC to be relatively quiet.

PCPartPicker Part List

I just built a PC with almost the same parts hah. I went back and forth with people on discords for PCPartPicker and BuildaPC reddit. Ultimately I decided to downgrade to an i5 10600k as the performance is extremely similar for gaming. Also dropped ram to 16gb. This would save you close to $150. If you are not going to overclock, you can also ditch the Noctua and get a $30 CPU cooler, however, OCing this thing is extremely easy and gets you some nice gains. I would keep the Noctua and OC it a bit, not crazy but get up to 4.8 at least. Plenty of people have pushed the i5 to 5 ghz as well.

All that said, I think Flight Sim is one of the more (most?) demanding "games" out there right now, and maybe some of these downgrades make less sense. Someone more experienced may want to comment on this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jinnigan posted:

Yeah, the 3080 FE uses that ugly rear end "two 8-pins into a 12-pin" adapter, which is Fine:

The downside of getting the Super Flower is that's a manufacturer doing direct sales and they're probably not gonna get into the accessories biz. Based on cablemod's compatibility list it looks like an EVGA type is cross-compatible, EVGA will probably make a special cable. Or cablemod themselves. But I would not plug it in without a multimeter, so you can do a final check yourself before potentially destroying your $700 video card just to make it look pretty.

Alternately I'm sure there will be plenty of cables that just replace the nvidia adapter with the same type of 2 PCIe 8-pin deal, so universally compatible. But the 3080 just came out so it'll be a minute.

Jinnigan posted:

but I was hoping to get one that looks a little better. Almost entirely for aesthetic reasons (it's not like I even have TG windows or anything for the case)

If you don't have a glass window why do you even care, other than a dumb youtuber complaining about how ugly it is? Watch the youtuber for entertainment, not for taste in PC builds. Cables have zero real affect on airflow.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I nearly bought a new PC in march to replace my "gaming" laptop gtx 1050 but have held off. I now realise that what I actually want is something like the intel ghost canyon nuc but with a ryzen processor I can buy now, and then drop a 3070 or what ever new AMD equivalent is announced in a few week, once the reviews for cyberpunk are out. Am I mad? Or should I just wait for the amd announcement and build a ryzen 4000 series something?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HERAK posted:

I nearly bought a new PC in march to replace my "gaming" laptop gtx 1050 but have held off. I now realise that what I actually want is something like the intel ghost canyon nuc but with a ryzen processor I can buy now, and then drop a 3070 or what ever new AMD equivalent is announced in a few week, once the reviews for cyberpunk are out. Am I mad? Or should I just wait for the amd announcement and build a ryzen 4000 series something?

I mean, Cyberpunk is coming out long after the release of the RTX 3070 or (e: we think) Zen 3. If that's your focus just wait.

Building tiny ITX gaming PCs is definitely a thing, but it makes everything harder to do well because you're sticking all these heat sources in a small space with limited ventilation. Also they're physically a pain in the rear end to assemble. If you also stipulate that you want it to be quiet that just makes it harder.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

I mean if you really want it these guys will make you a custom one for :20bux:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Custom-Sleeved-PCIE-Modular-Cable-for-NVIDIA-RTX-30-Series-Mini-12-Pin.html

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sean10mm posted:

Rumors I read just now were +10-15% IPC boost and +200 MHz boost clock bump, but with better ability to hold boost clocks for longer.

What this amounts to IRL is uh... :iiam:

If you have to wait for an RTX 3070 until October 15th AT BEST anyway, there's no reason not to wait and see what the October 8th Zen 3 announcement is basically.

If you're dropping $700+ on a 3080 now then just do whatever.

This is me but pandemic groundhog days in 2020 make instant gratification look better and better each day. I'm still thinking new Ryzen CPU...if it's available anywhere near the announcement date...and it's actually worth it, otherwise I'd go current gen hoping it gets a price cut (:lol:). Then a 3070 if my 1070 seems to be lacking with the new CPU and ram. I'm more CPU bound at this point (i5 2500k and 2133hz ram :corsair:) so I may not need to upgrade the GPU right away...but I probably won't be able to get a 3070 near launch anyway.

I decided to look up how long it took to get my 1070 in 2016. It launched on June 10 and I snagged one from newegg via nowinstock on June 22nd. Doubt I'll be able to do the same this time around. :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Suburban Dad posted:

This is me but pandemic groundhog days in 2020 make instant gratification look better and better each day. I'm still thinking new Ryzen CPU...if it's available anywhere near the announcement date...and it's actually worth it, otherwise I'd go current gen hoping it gets a price cut (:lol:). Then a 3070 if my 1070 seems to be lacking with the new CPU and ram. I'm more CPU bound at this point (i5 2500k and 2133hz ram :corsair:) so I may not need to upgrade the GPU right away...but I probably won't be able to get a 3070 near launch anyway.

I decided to look up how long it took to get my 1070 in 2016. It launched on June 10 and I snagged one from newegg via nowinstock on June 22nd. Doubt I'll be able to do the same this time around. :v:

Doesn't the 3090 drop at the same time? Maybe we'll be lucky. :shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doesn't the 3090 drop at the same time? Maybe we'll be lucky. :shrug:

3090 is already out (in theory lol, good luck buying one at the moment.)

e: Also don't buy an RTX 3090, it's dumb as poo poo, you pay over double to get 10% more performance.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 24, 2020

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Klyith posted:

Yes, yes, and no you don't need to remove a monitor. Every port can be used at the same time, and each display port supports 4k at up to 120Hz.

(You can actually have more than 4 monitors, because DisplayPort can daisy-chin multiple monitors together from one connection. But that's even more complicated.)

spunkshui posted:

Just driving displays at their native resolutions is child’s play for a modern graphics card and I would imagine it could probably drive all those display ports at 4k at once.

I don’t know anything about VR headsets.
Gotcha, wasn't sure because I've had weird stuff mixing DP and HDMI (but I work primarily on the A/V side of things so nothing every works as expected, if at all. It does, in fact, all work.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

So I managed to snag a 3090 FE and it won't fit in my current case (NZXT H200), so I'm going to get a new case and move all my components across.

I've currently got a mini ITX motherboard (the MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC if that matters) and I'm just wondering if that will attach to a mid tower case okay like the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic. I know I won't be able to use the extra expansion slots in the case or anything, just wondering if the board will screw into the case okay?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
going to upgrade from my 10 year old computer to something more modern. this is entirely for gaming:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tjzsb8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($115.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1227.92

i already have 2 freesync monitors so i'm sort of locked to a radeon card.
only question i really have is does it really matter to pay the few extra $ for a 3600X or does it even matter?
i think a 3600 can probably push a 5700 XT fine under load...
i also am not totally sold on that case, might buy a different one

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tyrelhill posted:

i already have 2 freesync monitors so i'm sort of locked to a radeon card.

This isn't true anymore. I think the 1000 series nvidias and onward can use them.

tyrelhill posted:

going to upgrade from my 10 year old computer to something more modern. this is entirely for gaming:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Tjzsb8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($115.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1227.92

You probably don't need 32gb of ram (16 is fine), and might want to look at the 3600 vs 3600x. Samsungs are overpriced and you can get a 1TB drive from another brand for about that money. What resolution are your monitors and what frequency? That'll help with recommending a GPU.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im in the US shopping for a mobo to pair with a 3900x
I want something with a front panel type c connector, wifi and 2 or more 5v rgb headers.
The front panel connection seems to limit my choices to $250+ stuff like the asrock tachi b550 or asus rog b550e
Are there any good lower priced options to look at?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 24, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

im in the US shopping for a mobo to pair with a 3900x
I want something with a front panel type c connector and 2 or more 5v rgb headers.
The front panel connections seems to limit my choices to $250+ like the asrock tachi b550 or asus rog b550e
Are there any good lower priced options to look at?

B550 Tomahawk has front panel USB-C and 2x4 pin RGB headers IIRC for under $200.

e: It looks like the B550M Bazooka has both too for like $130.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I am looking to update my PC, currently I have 2080ti which I might upgrade to 3080 but maybe after watching amd's rnda2 event I'll make my mind.

My cpu is i7 8700k, I was thinkin of i9 10k + new mobo or 3950x + new mobo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ulio posted:

So I am looking to update my PC, currently I have 2080ti which I might upgrade to 3080 but maybe after watching amd's rnda2 event I'll make my mind.

My cpu is i7 8700k, I was thinkin of i9 10k + new mobo or 3950x + new mobo.

I mean, what performance level are you shooting for? Is the 2080Ti not doing something you want it to?

An i7-8700k isn't going to be the limiting factor for anything anytime soon, and the higher resolution you run the less the CPU matters.

The 10900K is just dumb as poo poo (IMO)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

B550 Tomahawk has front panel USB-C and 2x4 pin RGB headers IIRC for under $200.

e: It looks like the B550M Bazooka has both too for like $130.

nice, i had not looked at msi yet but their b550 carbon wifi has everything im looking for.
How is their bios? my current build is a z270 gigabyte and the bios suuuuucks. I had an asus before that which was great and why I was leaning asrock or asus.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

This isn't true anymore. I think the 1000 series nvidias and onward can use them.

oh poo poo thats awesome! i'll look into that

Suburban Dad posted:

You probably don't need 32gb of ram (16 is fine), and might want to look at the 3600 vs 3600x. Samsungs are overpriced and you can get a 1TB drive from another brand for about that money. What resolution are your monitors and what frequency? That'll help with recommending a GPU.

yea good call. 32gb is probably overkill for gaming, haha.

i have two LG 27UL500-W:
Refresh Rate 60Hz
Resolution 3840 x 2160

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

I am in the position where I need either a PCI Wi-Fi card or a motherboard with a built in wi-fi adapter. Is there much of a difference between Wi-fi 5 and 6? I was looking at 2 MSI 570 boards with about a $60 price difference and the only thing is one is Wi-Fi 5 and the other is 6 (Everything else is the exact same) MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard, MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard. Now depending I guess on the 8th release this might be subject to change on which board I pick.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

tyrelhill posted:

oh poo poo thats awesome! i'll look into that

yea good call. 32gb is probably overkill for gaming, haha.

i have two LG 27UL500-W:
Refresh Rate 60Hz
Resolution 3840 x 2160

Can confirm, have a free sync dell that works with my 1060 6GB. No special anything needed, just latest drivers from Nvidia and go. Don’t get that card for $410 when you can get a 3070 that’s for sure better for $499.

Also get a 1TB SSD. Mines a 500GB and a giant pain in the rear end to have more than like two games installed.

Bad Parenting posted:

So I managed to snag a 3090 FE and it won't fit in my current case (NZXT H200), so I'm going to get a new case and move all my components across.

I've currently got a mini ITX motherboard (the MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC if that matters) and I'm just wondering if that will attach to a mid tower case okay like the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic. I know I won't be able to use the extra expansion slots in the case or anything, just wondering if the board will screw into the case okay?

Go on pcpartpicker and pick mid tower/atx/full/whatever you want, then pick ITX Board compatibility. That should give you an idea of what’s out there. All that matters is if there’s posts for ITX.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

nice, i had not looked at msi yet but their b550 carbon wifi has everything im looking for.
How is their bios? my current build is a z270 gigabyte and the bios suuuuucks. I had an asus before that which was great and why I was leaning asrock or asus.

I haven't used the B550 MSI BIOS but as far as I know it's fine.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I know this is kind of a long shot, but if anyone picked up a 3080 Founder's Edition and decided they don't actually want it, hit me up! Willing to pay what you paid for it, shipping and handling, and a little extra for your time!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Parenting posted:

Yes, you can put an ITX mobo in most every ATX case (the mounting holes of mATX & ITX are just a sub-set of ATX).

It'll look real silly but will work just fine.

Sirbloody posted:

I am in the position where I need either a PCI Wi-Fi card or a motherboard with a built in wi-fi adapter. Is there much of a difference between Wi-fi 5 and 6? I was looking at 2 MSI 570 boards with about a $60 price difference and the only thing is one is Wi-Fi 5 and the other is 6 (Everything else is the exact same) MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard, MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard. Now depending I guess on the 8th release this might be subject to change on which board I pick.

Yes, wifi 5 is what used to be called 802.11 AC and 6 was briefly known as AX before they decided that those names were dumb and they should just use numbers. Wifi 6 / AX is recent and is a generation better.

In practice you probably don't have an AX router yet, and AC is fast enough for most purposes (competitive with gigabit ethernet). But if you're going to be using wifi for the life of the PC, I'd get the wifi 6 one. If you're using it in a wifi-dense environment like apartments I'd definitely get the 6 one, because the biggest improvements of AX are for congestion. And then get an AX router when they come down in price, last I looked they were all well above $100.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Thanks for the responses all, I don't really care how it looks as long as it's workable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Klyith posted:

Yes, you can put an ITX mobo in most every ATX case (the mounting holes of mATX & ITX are just a sub-set of ATX).

It'll look real silly but will work just fine.

Yes, wifi 5 is what used to be called 802.11 AC and 6 was briefly known as AX before they decided that those names were dumb and they should just use numbers. Wifi 6 / AX is recent and is a generation better.

In practice you probably don't have an AX router yet, and AC is fast enough for most purposes (competitive with gigabit ethernet). But if you're going to be using wifi for the life of the PC, I'd get the wifi 6 one. If you're using it in a wifi-dense environment like apartments I'd definitely get the 6 one, because the biggest improvements of AX are for congestion. And then get an AX router when they come down in price, last I looked they were all well above $100.

The goal is to get off Wi-Fi asap. I am waiting to see if I landed a new job and if so I will be buying a new house where I currently work and I will drat well make sure Comcast at a minimum is available. At my current place Comcast is too scared to run the lines since it is next to a highway so I am looking to move. I will just say I love my unlimited data and unthrottled phone my work provides, that is the only thing making my current rental live able.