Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

withak posted:

They aren’t that spoily, they are just the episode descriptions from Amazon or something.

Eh, they do spoil some fights that occur, not that those fights are particularly surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Remember the good old days where you'd get spoilers that showed a main character getting killed and then we'd argue about if they were real or not

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CODChimera posted:

Remember the good old days where you'd get spoilers that showed a main character getting killed and then we'd argue about if they were real or not

Like a great many things, that was ruined by game of thrones season 8 where the shittiest of all spoilers turned out to be almost 100% accurate.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Like a great many things, that was ruined by game of thrones season 8 where the shittiest of all spoilers turned out to be almost 100% accurate.

Oh yeah and there were basically several sets of fan fiction spoilers that would've been way better than what we got. What a world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like with most power level arguments, you're missing the forest for the trees to try to think of theoretical fightonomics from in-universe evidence, rather than looking at it thematically and with storytelling precedent. While Homelander is obviously the Superman analogue, the comics version of Stormfront was more obvious in being equivalent to Thor (complete with the norse mythology thing being something Nazis are way too into) while the show version also seems to have a touch of Captain Marvel (the MCU one in particular) as well. Both of which have been noted to clearly be Marvel's equivalent to Superman; the idea is probably meant to be that they're fairly close in power level, and that Homelander would probably win in a fight but he'd have to actually try. That is just a guess, mind, with a satirical/deconstructive take all bets are off.

Does also come to mind that this take on Black Noir actually brings to mind Snake Eyes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jabby posted:

Personally I thought having The Boys be superpowered themselves was a bit of a flaw in the comics. You can't take the piss out of superheroes effectively when your gritty protagonists are superheroes.

This always bothered me in the Boys comic. I was really expecting some clever writing and story telling to see how the hell would normal people go after people with super powers. This was gonna be loving awesome. Then they got super powers...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

His Divine Shadow posted:

This always bothered me in the Boys comic. I was really expecting some clever writing and story telling to see how the hell would normal people go after people with super powers. This was gonna be loving awesome. Then they got super powers...

The only good bit of storytelling from The Boys being suped up was with Butcher and Hughie - one of the very first real "Butcher is not really a good person, isn't he?" moments. Spoiler from comics The boys are in a van, "monitoring" Popclaw&Pals. Butcher doses Hughie with a jet injector full of V without his consent and without telling him what he's just done. Hughie is extremely pissed, but doesn't realize what has just happened. A few minutes later, they get into a confrontation with the team of C-list supes and Hughie, scared for his life when confronted by an idiot supe, flails wildly in his direction and ends up punching right through him. Hughie is terribly traumatized and horrified.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Does anyone have a clip of HL after he's lasered the crowd? Starr's got this great look of horror and maybe exhilaration on his face.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

anatomi posted:

Does anyone have a clip of HL after he's lasered the crowd? Starr's got this great look of horror and maybe exhilaration on his face.

It's a very "I did it! What have I done?!" moment.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh, c'mon now, be fair. Who here hasn't had a bad day and lasered a large crowd into smoking carcasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jYuv5hhf4

e: the post-lase glowing eyes and concerned eyebrow bit is giving me strong Dr Manhattan vibes for some reason.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

ynohtna posted:

e: the post-lase glowing eyes and concerned eyebrow bit is giving me strong Dr Manhattan vibes for some reason.

It's a bit similar to the "I said leave me alone" scene. Even if the characters couln't be more different from a psychological point of view, they are both the peak superman of their stories AND both of them feel superior to the people around them - Homelander in a "American Exceptionalism" way, Dr. Manhattan in a more detached way - AND both of them gets surprised by their very basic reaction to their "inferiors" actually getting to them.

The expression game in kinda in reverse here, since Dr. Manhattan experiences his humanity and follows it up with an outburst of rage, while Homelander goes bananas then feels guilt/remorse (even if maybe just in a "child caught with the hand in the cookie jar" way).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't seem coincidental, given both of them are explorations of the Superman archetype, particularly in a 'Why should I still care about pretending to be human' way. Main difference is, Dr Manhattan basically became a superhero because he didn't have anything better to do.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

Side note: I've never read anything to confirm it, but I'm 95% sure this is why the MCU killed Quicksilver at the end of Age of Ultron. Someone over there said "Hey, this is really cool once, but after that there's too many things we'd have to write around."

Just to comment on this, reason at the time was an agreement between Disney and 20th Century Fox over which characters could be used in the MCU and which characters were mutants and owned under the X-Men license. Quicksilver was used in one film and killed off with the intention that the X-Men carry on with their use of the character, and the MCU got sole use of Scarlet Witch.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dave Angel posted:

Just to comment on this, reason at the time was an agreement between Disney and 20th Century Fox over which characters could be used in the MCU and which characters were mutants and owned under the X-Men license. Quicksilver was used in one film and killed off with the intention that the X-Men carry on with their use of the character, and the MCU got sole use of Scarlet Witch.

Ah. Well, "poo poo" for my theory, although in effect it's still helpful in the same way.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Talking about power levels and apocryphal talk in show. A-Train mentioning famed drug cheat Ben Johnson racing horses, felt right out of place in a world with A-Train, not to mention other speedsters, in it.

If an athlete didn't know they were dosed on V wouldn't they try out for the Olympics? I have got to assume a world with these people in it wouldn't even have an Olympics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Figuring it's pretty trivial to test for superpower serum, the stuff isn't subtle. I recall it's a bit of a plot point in the comics that a significant percentage of the world's population is dosed with it.

Would be interesting to have non-human recipients.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Collateral posted:

Talking about power levels and apocryphal talk in show. A-Train mentioning famed drug cheat Ben Johnson racing horses, felt right out of place in a world with A-Train, not to mention other speedsters, in it.

If an athlete didn't know they were dosed on V wouldn't they try out for the Olympics? I have got to assume a world with these people in it wouldn't even have an Olympics.

Compound V didn't exist before WW2, at which point the modern Olympics had already existed for decades. Also, the effects of Compound V usually aren't remotely subtle, and everyone who has it (except for Homelander's supe terrorists) is carefully monitored by Vought from birth. There shouldn't be anyone out there who has superpowers but doesn't know it, as that represents a major potential loss of profit for Vought.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 24, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ynohtna posted:

Oh, c'mon now, be fair. Who here hasn't had a bad day and lasered a large crowd into smoking carcasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jYuv5hhf4

I like how the "Homelander NOT a HeRO!" sign gets cut in half. That's a nice touch by the CGI department.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Figuring it's pretty trivial to test for superpower serum, the stuff isn't subtle. I recall it's a bit of a plot point in the comics that a significant percentage of the world's population is dosed with it.

In the show, except for the black market stuff Homelander sent out, Vought would know every single person with it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

In the show, except for the black market stuff Homelander sent out, Vought would know every single person with it.

It's actually really ironic that the TV show version of Vought is massively more responsible and public-minded than the comic book version of Vought*, which throws Compound V around like an industrial contaminant worse than PG&E does Hexavalent Chromium.

*or most major real life corporations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole Marvel movie parody episode had so many hilarious gags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj6wKp1CPfQ

Like in the above how A-Train was giving his cheesy movie retirement speech to a stunt double but you don't realize till the end of the speech.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This reminds me of a question of mine from season 1 that seems a bit unimportant overall. When we first meet Starlight, there is a short shot of her doing a drug test. At the time it's reasonable to think they're testing her for drugs. I wonder now if they were really testing how much compound v she had, and if they were seeing if she was a good fit for the top tier.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

etalian posted:

Like in the above how A-Train was giving his cheesy movie retirement speech to a stunt double but you don't realize till the end of the speech.

I actually clocked it immediately, because I'd been noticing that in every cafeteria scene between Starlight and Storm Front, the other members of the seven in the craft services line are obviously stunt doubles shot out of focus. It's a neat setup.

I wonder if that was Antony Starr's actual stunt double?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

etalian posted:

It's a very Homelander move to not bother with nonsense like that. He has better things to do. Like drinking breast milk.

Edit:

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me of a question of mine from season 1 that seems a bit unimportant overall. When we first meet Starlight, there is a short shot of her doing a drug test. At the time it's reasonable to think they're testing her for drugs. I wonder now if they were really testing how much compound v she had, and if they were seeing if she was a good fit for the top tier.

Ashley mentioned a "morality clause" that they all have in their contracts. So they really do care if they take drugs or not. From a PR perspective.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 24, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

As Nero Danced posted:

Ok, so this begs the question: Does compound V stay in your system forever?

I assumed that it activates/messes with/changes your DNA to make you a super. Then is used up, or passes through your system. Which is why they give it to babies to get supers. It also explains how Homelander got a woman pregnant and the super power genes are passed on (I'm assuming Homelander doesn't shoot compound V loads).

I don't think it makes a lot of sense for compound V to just float around in your system for 40 years.

*edit*

I just re-watched the scene where Stormfront is talking with Starlight's mom, and Starlight. Stormfront says her mother would never let her do anything like a pageant. Then she says "Adele would never go for anything like that."

Adele is an old German name for nobility. I just thought that was another neat touch to what is probably Stormfront's background.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 24, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah well how come I still have lead in my brain

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah well how come I still have lead in my brain

Do you have any cool powers?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

spacetoaster posted:

The anger issues of 10 men!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

*edit*

I just re-watched the scene where Stormfront is talking with Starlight's mom, and Starlight. Stormfront says her mother would never let her do anything like a pageant. Then she says "Adele would never go for anything like that."

Adele is an old German name for nobility. I just thought that was another neat touch to what is probably Stormfront's background.

I have a feeling that on rewatch I'll see a shitload of subtle jokes about Stormfront being 80 years old. People have already pointed out her love of a 40's comics character, her being around for the beginning of Scientology, and now her mom having a really old German noble name.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

MT makes the best gifs, so I'd say yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's actually really ironic that the TV show version of Vought is massively more responsible and public-minded than the comic book version of Vought*, which throws Compound V around like an industrial contaminant worse than PG&E does Hexavalent Chromium.

*or most major real life corporations.

Mind you, makes a lot more sense that Vought keeps a stranglehold on the stuff and I imagine sends Homelander against anyone who tries to make their own. More that they have to be aware that any Compound V outside their control could literally create a Superman to counter their own. (A Doomsday? Or a Goku? Maybe best not to get into the idea of Chinese knockoffs)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

etalian posted:

I just realized the double is wearing an entirely different set of pants compared to Homelander, they just let him wear his khakis cuz you aren't seeing anything from the waist down in the shot not already blocked by his cape lol.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

did I miss anything in the last 300 posts?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I just realized the double is wearing an entirely different set of pants compared to Homelander, they just let him wear his khakis cuz you aren't seeing anything from the waist down in the shot not already blocked by his cape lol.

Well the stunt double had such perfect Homelander like hair I was sure it was him until the visual gag punchline at the end of A-trains "retirement" speech.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it before, but yea, that's his legit stand in for the show.

His name is Anthony as well :haw:

Most notably, he was the stand in for Starr in the last scene of episode 4.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, in the comics compound V gets everywhere, it's portrayed as acting more like some kind of industrial waste/radioactivity than a drug. A lot of weaker supes/horrific deaths are the result of accidentally coming into contact with old, contaminated forms of the stuff (MM, his mother and his brother all being examples).

In fact if I remember correctly, Vought can't even make the top-tier stuff anymore (the kind that created The Seven). So they seek out accidentally-created heroes and spooge their third-rate V everywhere to create more.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So apparently a spin off series is in the works?
https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-boys-spinoff-fast-track-development-amazon-record-season-2-launch-ratings-1234584256/

quote:

Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

Can't say that description really grabbed me, but I guess we'll see.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-boys-spinoff-fast-track-development-amazon-record-season-2-launch-ratings-1234584256/

What no Muppet Baby like spin off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I can see some executive yelling "Like The Boys but younger and sexier!" while slamming his fist on the table.

Graduation day is Homelander showing up and using his lasereyes to murder everyone at the ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This makes me want something like The Office but for the Compound V production, with the upstairs being the low-level supes with crappy powers and the warehouse being normal people who are much cooler and happier than the supes.