Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Facebook 'on this day' thing informs me it's 4 years since Corbyn was elected leader.

Feels like more, and not enough.

E: his birthday was yesterday but here's the boy:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The_Doctor posted:

Welcome to Mundane Meals.

Reminds me of the Plan B Cafe I saw in Seoul.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sebzilla posted:

Been playing in Tableau and made this:

Some interesting insights into Corbyn's tenure as a whole.

Gained vote share in significantly more seats than he lost across the 4 years
Did not lose a single Remain seat net

Sorry, could you explain? Basically there were more seats he made gains in than losses?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

He's saying that starmer thinks that, because voting against it would be unpatriotic. And you are entirely correct that abstaining still makes the tories trot out the same argument regardless, and it's also garbage legislation so if labour are too cowardly to oppose garbage legislation out of fear of the tories not liking it then what is the point of them even existing?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sorry, could you explain? Basically there were more seats he made gains in than losses?

% of vote increased in 396 seats and dropped in 234, with some fairly heavy losses consistently across Scotland it looks like

Gained 12 remain seats and 5 leave seats, lost 46 leave seats (the red wall).

It's impressive that he lost zero net remain seats despite the LDs bullshit, just goes to show how much competence matters in a ratfucking.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

The bottom half of the this really needs to be made into a :keir: or something. How does that work?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to buy it, so maybe wait until lowtax is gone.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

St. Petroc's flag looks like it'd be a better fit for a United Ireland than Devon. Saint Piran's flag looks like it would be better for Devon. Baner Dewi looks like it would be better for Cornwall. Wales can keep their existing cool flag.

You’re off your fuckin rocker

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Endjinneer posted:

The reason pillars and beams are so overspecified is because they didn't understand structural mechanics, so they threw a lot of material at it and hoped it would work. Often they'd mix techniques up completely. Ancient Greek architecture gets its distinctive style because it uses stone as if it is wood. The two materials have wildly different properties.

Yup. The very first iron bridges used iron as if it were wood, complete with separately cast pieces and woodworking joints like mortise and tenon joints, because that was what they knew.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/t/The_Iron_Bridge.htm

Again it was over-engineered to poo poo though so although it was made with terrible methods, it's still standing 240 years later (though they did have to make some repairs to the foundations and stuff, the cast iron structure is all original).

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Spangly A posted:

% of vote increased in 396 seats and dropped in 234

Wiki says Labour had 232 seats in 2015 and 202 in 219, so either something is wrong with your math, or what it was counting didn’t matter.

Corbyn absolutely did increase the overall number of people voting Labour over Milliband, Brown and (marginally) Blair’s last election. Ultimately, this is why anyone who thinks you can win solely from the center is an idiot. The problem is that good trend mattered little compared to the much bigger swings between between Tories and the Brexit Party.

After switching policy to a 2nd referendum, Corbyn did weaken the LDs. But, meanwhile, Boris obliterated the Brexit Party. The only path to victory was to reverse that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

radmonger posted:

Wiki says Labour had 232 seats in 2015 and 202 in 219, so either something is wrong with your math, or what it was counting didn’t matter.

% of vote, not seats (also not my data). You can increase your voteshare in a seat and still lose it.

232-202 is 20 not 19 tho, so that'd be wrong unless that gray seat in bucks(?) is a did-not-stand I've forgotten about

radmonger posted:

But, meanwhile, Boris obliterated the Brexit Party. The only path to victory was to reverse that.

He didn't obliterate them, they coordinated.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

CRISP EMERGENCY! CRISP EMERGENCY!

https://twitter.com/m4tt/status/1308688871291596800

Genuinely pretty sad about this.

I have an entire desk drawer of roast beef and mustard brannigans stuck in my office since Feb. I had to go into work to get some equipment two days ago and a few things off my desk. I thought hell yeah I can get my brannigans stash. After signoff from the CEO I went in to find the receptionist had helpfully gone and got all my stuff and put it in sealed bags for me by the front door so I didn't have to risk any exposure. Lovely really, but dammit.

The crisps will have to wait until summer next year likely. Hope they're gonna still be good =( might be the last ones in the country!

E: ebay has them for £30 for box of 40. Worth it. I bought two boxes. gently caress it, its my birthday soon.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 24, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You will be able to sell them for a high price by next summer I reckon.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
This vote is the next abstaining or voting against the welfare bill isn't it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Yup. The very first iron bridges used iron as if it were wood, complete with separately cast pieces and woodworking joints like mortise and tenon joints, because that was what they knew.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/t/The_Iron_Bridge.htm

Again it was over-engineered to poo poo though so although it was made with terrible methods, it's still standing 240 years later (though they did have to make some repairs to the foundations and stuff, the cast iron structure is all original).

Quite a few of the members (fnarr) snapped almost immediately after completion because they didn't factor in thermal expansion and contraction and the cast iron they were using was incredibly brittle even by the standards of the day. They took the attitude that the structure obviously didn't need those bits because it didn't then fall down and they seem to have been right - the snapped bits are still there too because what's the point in taking them out?

Thomas Telford's early cast iron aqueducts were even weirder - basically because he realised (and was possibly the first to do so) that cast iron worked best in compression, so he worked out incredibly strange designs that are conceptually two flattened steel bridges making up the sides of the canal with another two steel bridges on their sides between them making up the bottom deck, then waterproofed with a mixture of boiled sugar, lead, linen and ox blood that he supposedly copied from the Romans. Mind you he at least learned his lesson - his later aqueducts and bridges were basically all box girders writ extra large because even though the loads aren't great for cast iron the structure is so strong it doesn't actually matter. He still kept using ox blood in waterproofing both iron and brick structures though, which is frankly a bit weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3am UKMT. Excessive loads and snapped members.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Trying to find a particular bon mot from Telford's friend, poet lauerate Robert Southey, I came across this little gem:

quote:

Although originally a radical supporter of the French Revolution, Southey followed the trajectory of his fellow Romantic poets Wordsworth and Coleridge towards conservatism. Embraced by the Tory establishment as Poet Laureate, and from 1807 in receipt of a yearly stipend from them, he vigorously supported the Liverpool government. He argued against parliamentary reform ("the railroad to ruin with the Devil for driver"), blamed the Peterloo Massacre on an allegedly revolutionary "rabble" killed and injured by government troops, and spurned Catholic emancipation.[7] In 1817 he privately proposed penal transportation for those guilty of "libel" or "sedition". He had in mind figures like Thomas Jonathan Wooler and William Hone, whose prosecution he urged. Such writers were guilty, he wrote in the Quarterly Review, of "inflaming the turbulent temper of the manufacturer and disturbing the quiet attachment of the peasant to those institutions under which he and his fathers have dwelt in peace." Wooler and Hone were acquitted, but the threats caused another target, William Cobbett, to emigrate temporarily to the United States.

Alas Georgian fashion in wigs make it impossible to tell what state his hairline was in, but I'm fairly certain we've found our Patient Zero of Brendan's Disease.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

3am UKMT. Excessive loads and snapped members.

My sleep patterns are now completely hosed and I'm worried that I'm existing on less sleep than Thatcher. I tell you all this because I don't want to be the guy-who-got-bit-but-didn't-say-anything of the zombie movie that is UK politics in 2020, and I am perfectly happy for any of my UKMT comrades to remove my head the moment I look like privatising something.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have to go to work for the first time in months today, because "there might be another lock down and it looks bad if you haven't been in for so long"

Way to miss the point

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Spangly A posted:

% of vote, not seats (also not my data). You can increase your voteshare in a seat and still lose it.

232-202 is 20 not 19 tho, so that'd be wrong unless that gray seat in bucks(?) is a did-not-stand I've forgotten about

Yeah the data source doesn't count Northern Ireland (for obvious reasons) or either Speaker's seats (Bercow or Hoyle) which is why the total is 630

Not my data, it's from here if anyone else wants to play about : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Myl8IpeobHwTJQv4GPKHHIi5JrRXPgwOYh9Xl3uzh-E/edit?usp=sharing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Looking at that list of 18 Labour mps who voted against and seeing my favourites pop up yet again makes me glad they stick to their principles and feel happy that there are some willing to go against Keith Stairmaster.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

You will be able to sell them for a high price by next summer I reckon.

The crisps or the boxes?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

Looking at that list of 18 Labour mps who voted against and seeing my favourites pop up yet again makes me glad they stick to their principles and feel happy that there are some willing to go against Keith Stairmaster.

Seeing my own MP on that list gives me very complex feelings about whether or not I should still be in the party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Labour MPs briefing Guido Fawkes is some grim poo poo

Not as grim as this though

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep4w5j/british-military-prepares-for-climate-fueled-resource-shortages

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 24, 2020

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Nadia Whittome is my local MP and honestly she's up there with the best of them. I think she's donated most of her MP salary to charitable causes and is taking the UK average (which is still higher than you'd expect, but keeping 35k of like 80k is still donating >50% of your salary).

The fact that she lost a position based on voting against legalising war crimes is uh... telling.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
A human rights lawyer whipping to abstain on torture is it?

More proof of my theory that human rights lawyers are actually people who fight against human rights.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

More proof of my theory that human rights lawyers are actually people who fight against human rights.

Doesn't Starmer have history with being "pro warcrimes" in his role as prosecutor?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Surprise T Rex posted:

Nadia Whittome is my local MP and honestly she's up there with the best of them. I think she's donated most of her MP salary to charitable causes and is taking the UK average (which is still higher than you'd expect, but keeping 35k of like 80k is still donating >50% of your salary).

Because the world is horrible and I am a great example of it I assume she doesn't need the money.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Because the world is horrible and I am a great example of it I assume she doesn't need the money.

It's not like she had a well-paid job or anything before becoming an MP.
Didn't she work as a care assistant at a care home? And she's only 24, which isn't nearly enough time to earn steal millions you can throw in a bank account.
Unless you're born rich, of course

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

then waterproofed with a mixture of boiled sugar, lead, linen and ox blood that he supposedly copied from the Romans
18th century chemistry: You gotta let me have the ox blood

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seeing my own MP on that list gives me very complex feelings about whether or not I should still be in the party.

Just checked and mine did too. Now I'm even more glad that Chuka hosed off and left that gap. :unsmith:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think Raab was also a human rights lawyer which says everything.

I read a bit more on the subject and apparently abstaining rather than voting against gets you political good will when it comes to amending the bill or some shite.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Shades of: "We must not squander our political capital!" i.e. another bullshit excuse for doing nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NHS app is now properly up and working, but it'll still say "for Isle of Wight and Newham only" unless you go into setting, clear the app cache, scrape the app files, and then reinstall it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also it turns out Corbyn coulda been firing mps this whole time I guess

Finally got round to leaving labour

E it's pretty hilarious starmer was just in the papers being noshed off for supporting "rule of law"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lungboy posted:

I think Raab was also a human rights lawyer which says everything.

I read a bit more on the subject and apparently abstaining rather than voting against gets you political good will when it comes to amending the bill or some shite.

they've got an 80 seat majority, why on earth would they let labour have any say at any stage

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So the app constantly uses bluetooth to scan nearby phones for positive test results?

That sounds like something I don't want constantly running on my phone.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
It's time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1258116337366446095

This aged well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

stev posted:

So the app constantly uses bluetooth to scan nearby phones for positive test results?

That sounds like something I don't want constantly running on my phone.

During the war people probably didn't want to turn that light out either.