Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

laserghost posted:

In wake of Serious Sam 4 looking and playing real bad, here is a trailer for upcoming Serious Sam 3 mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4hqurEt-zU

Fusion? Should have called it Propast Vjecni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, that looks like a cheap clone of modern Doom.

looking like a high res quake 3 mod and not having constant awful voiceover are both big improvements on the modern Doom formula :greencube:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, that looks like a cheap clone of modern Doom.

Wait until you see how much SS4 borrows from Doom 4

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I want Doom!

Mom: We have Doom at home

Doom at Home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjHUCsrNeYQ

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I want Doom!

Doom at Home:

This looks like a fake video game from an episode of Law & Order

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I want Doom!

Doom at Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lol

That has to be a satire of other games redone in UE4 that are out there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r_-ZJjtmKo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

I want Doom!

Doom at Home:

Extreme energy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mancubus is an incubus that eats nothing but manwich and hungry man dinners.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It might just be because it's coming after all these other terrible videos, but I could live with this. It's not an improvement over the original, but it's liveable. The chunky lo-fi 3D models are distinctly better than the "high res sprites made from DOOM 4 models" the other one is attempting.

All of these remakes have big "we have lots of tech and no art direction" energy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It might just be because it's coming after all these other terrible videos, but I could live with this. It's not an improvement over the original, but it's liveable. The chunky lo-fi 3D models are distinctly better than the "high res sprites made from DOOM 4 models" the other one is attempting.

All of these remakes have big "we have lots of tech and no art direction" energy.

For me that's the worst one lol. Ok not as bad as the UE4 video, but that's not a real game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think they're both cute gimmicks and don't mind either of them

doom with chunky 3d models is fun, and the high detail but still obviously 2d sprites feels almost like a modern version of like, the MK digitized photos as sprites

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like how the thumbnail is that DeviantArt guy's painting, with an "RTX on" logo tacked on.

There's no RTX on at all in that thing, it's just bog-standard GZDoom with a few mods. Ugly models, PBR textures, gratuitous Doom 3 sound effects, etc. Zero ray-tracing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I like how the thumbnail is that DeviantArt guy's painting, with an "RTX on" logo tacked on.

There's no RTX on at all in that thing, it's just bog-standard GZDoom with a few mods. Ugly models, PBR textures, gratuitous Doom 3 sound effects, etc. Zero ray-tracing.

:thejoke:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The banned remake! What the powers that be didn't want you to see! click now!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Hah--as a portent of things to come, Serious Sam 4 officially went "live" with a <100 MB download that only installed the executable and nothing else.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Remind me again what the fun custom difficulty is for Blood? Been searching through the thread for the past 10 minutes

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Remind me again what the fun custom difficulty is for Blood? Been searching through the thread for the past 10 minutes

Made to Order, turn enemy health and aggression to low, max out enemy count

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hah--as a portent of things to come, Serious Sam 4 officially went "live" with a <100 MB download that only installed the executable and nothing else.
From the sounds of things they accidentally only released the day 1 patch and not the, uh, the game that's applied to it. Which, given the Steamworks backend tells you what files/build you're making public before you press the button*, is a pretty funny oversight. Apparently it's fixed now?

* Allegedly. According to the indie dev on this Discord I'm on who's outright offended by this, anyway...

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Not that I'm excited about the game, exactly, but why is Serious Sam 4 getting such a side-eye here?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Serious sam looks awful. Anybody other than GMan have reviews up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWza8-yElIw

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jeez what happened to SS4. It didn't look very good in trailers, but that looks like a very early beta. They should focus on their good game (Talos).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Turin Turambar posted:

Jeez what happened to SS4. It didn't look very good in trailers, but that looks like a very early beta. They should focus on their good game (Talos).

The upside is that finally deciding to rip the band-aid off and ship SS4 means they can get back to Talos faster.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i'd really enjoy not having to see gman ever again tbqh

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I find Australian accents to be pleasing to the ear

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Made to order, everything normal but enemy count set to highest is what I consider "Ultraviolence Plutonia" level of difficulty and I got through the first episode with feeling the game was hard but not unfair.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

The upside is that finally deciding to rip the band-aid off and ship SS4 means they can get back to Talos faster.

It's always worrying, as for mid-sized studios like them, the budget for the new game is usually the profits of their last game.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is there some way to turn off the Xbox achievements when playing Halo MCC on PC? I'm tired of the screen flickering for a half second every time I get an achievement.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SS4 being bad just sounds par for the course with Serious Sam

Plan Z posted:

Is there some way to turn off the Xbox achievements when playing Halo MCC on PC? I'm tired of the screen flickering for a half second every time I get an achievement.

Turn off Game Bar in the Windows Settings app, I think?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Turin Turambar posted:

Apparently some maps are borrowed from The Talos Principle but I have no proof other than my friend (who played TTP to completion) saying some sections between games are identical.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Turn off Game Bar in the Windows Settings app, I think?

It was already off. I then tried turning it on and off again, and it didn't help.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

laserghost posted:

Apparently some maps are borrowed from The Talos Principle but I have no proof other than my friend (who played TTP to completion) saying some sections between games are identical.

That is incredible, both in the 'amazing' and 'no loving way' meanings, because TTP has nothing in it conductive to a FPS other than its pretty engine. Maybe they reused a large background prop like a sphinx or pyramid?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A developer reusing assets? A shocking rumor, I hope it’s not true

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Fallom posted:

Allegedly reusing maps from a 7 year old puzzle game for a new entry in their flagship FPS series.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLTmt0I7Oo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Twerk from Home posted:

Serious sam looks awful. Anybody other than GMan have reviews up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWza8-yElIw

Boy, this looks like a complete mess. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering how little gameplay they actually showed leading to release.

How does Serious Sam Fusion work, anyway? BFE is the only game that I own but I also have the 2017 fusion beta in my library which, from what I understand, is actually the full release.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Who cares about new games anyway. We have something better to wait for:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I want Doom!

Doom at Home:

Doomguy looks like he's having a mugshot taken after being charged with possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fallom posted:

i feel like it looks bad for a developer to just lift entire maps from an earlier, unrelated game they put out if they're trying to hock something 'new' with it