Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The new Annual was released yesterday, did anyone else pick it up? I don't like it as much as last year's, though that's mostly due to its nature as a series of "Meanwhile" stories.

It does have some good points. Big's story is a decent recap of the entire run so far, and I'm interested to see what's going on with Nite and Don even if they're not nearly as cool as Tangle or Whisper. The art throughout ranges from pretty good to amazing, as well. For me, the height of it was the Metal Sonic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There's something ironic about how IDW's plans to have issues 29-32 release biweekly instead of monthly and covid delaying everything ended up cancelling things out; right now issue 32 is scheduled for really early September (for reference the original plan was to have it release in June), and in a world that neither had the biweekly release plan nor covid would see issue 32 coming out in August (with it being easy to imagine a standard IDW delay pushing it to early September anyways)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Huh, did no one else pick up the Annual or Issue #29? I'd talked a little about the Annual before, but did anyone else think 29 was kind of limp ending wise? I was interested in how things would wrap up, but Super Sonic beating Zavok in half a page was a let down and cracking a joke about it being one didn't help. The plan going off without a hitch until Sonic disappears right at the end is a neat set-up, but I doubt we'll get anything as interesting as Sonic planet hopping back home like in the Archie series. I'm not dropping the book or anything and I'm still anticipating Bad Guys, but overall I'd call the Metal Virus arc a C+, B- if I'm being generous.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, issue #29 didn't cross the finish line well at all. After how long this arc was, having it sorted out this abruptly was a bummer. It needed a bit more time in the oven, clearly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It makes me think of some Netflix series that could've been much better with a few less episodes. You could've taken several issues out and come out with a tighter, overall better story

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

yeah one of Flynn's biggest issues is that his pacing for big epic year+ long stories often sucks? like a lot of great individual moments but a big overall sense of "get on with it!", it's usually his shorter stories that hit a lot better; which is a major factor as to why the news of Evan Stanley graduating to co-head writer is so exciting because he'll have to stick to writing shorter term stuff and even any big epic year+ long stories seem like they will generally have him and Evan alternate within issue blocks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I've been enjoying the comic but the whole metal virus arc really could have done with being shorter.

It was a little funny how almost every story in the annual had a pretty dark ending.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I thought I'd missed an issue with how abruptly it ended

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
#30 was another weak issue, all that happens is the Deadly Six and Eggman escaping to fight another day and answering where Sonic went. If it doesn't pick up soon, I might just wait for Bad Guys and drop the main book for the trades.

Discendo Vox posted:

There are three sonic dash games at this point:

Sonic Dash is the original, a very straightforward three lane endless runner that's got a bunch of characters and ~4 concurrent progression systems, but is very fair and even- you will not feel much pressure to pay anything if you don't want to. Unlockable areas are mostly cosmetic, and almost all unlockable characters have only negligible stat differences; Big the Cat's shields last a bit longer than Metal Sonic, but Metal's magnet power lasts longer than Big's, etc. Periodic events let you unlock characters for free, and they're actually very doable with a bit of practice. Tangle and Whisper will probably come here eventually; almost all new characters are now introduced in Sonic Forces, then available in Sonic Dash a bit later on.

Sonic Dash 2: Boom is a sequel set in the Sonic Boom setting- it stopped getting new content after about six months, leaving the prices and XP curve in a very weird place that was intended to support a much more extensive game. Also a three lane endless runner. This game has a "sprite" system of permanent and one time boosts, and a short list of cycling events that you compete with a leaderboard and with basic goal numbers to win ascending prizes of rings and XP. The challenges and completion prices for things in this game are absurd; leveling up one character or sprite takes 300,000 rings, and, with the hyperoptimized method I've developed that relies on a set of already maxed sprites, I can get 10k rings only on a very good run. Event prizes are similarly trivial for the effort involved. Maxing every character and sprite costs millions of rings; the XP system caps at level 100 and is even more absurdly unbalanced. Tangle and Whisper aren't going to come to this game.

Sonic Forces is a multiplayer racing game built off of the endless runner construct. It's absurdly complex and introduces like five additional currencies and levels and special events and leagues and unlocks and boosts and special use items...I've not touched it because it's almost entirely competitive, but my impression is that since it's competitive, there's much more emphasis on pay to progress/win. Tangle and Whisper are being promoted as coming here.

Hey, thanks for this write-up! We finally upgraded our phones, and I've been playing and enjoying Sonic Dash and Forces. I'd say you're spot on with Dash, but Forces isn't that complex. The only in-game currencies are Cards(for unlocking and upgrading characters), Gold Rings(for paying for upgrades when you have enough cards), and Red Star Rings(the most important, for buying Gold Rings and opening chests for Cards without waiting for hours). Gameplay wise I haven't seen any issues with pay to win given that character upgrades are kind of minimal compared to keeping a good line and dodging obstacles. Maybe that gets worse at higher levels, though.

Cards and Gold Rings come easily enough, especially if you take the reward doubling ads every time they're available. My real problem with Forces is how stingy it is with Red Star Rings. You get maybe 7-12 of them in free chests a day, assuming you check regularly and don't lose out because your two free chest slots are full. The silver victory chests can be unlocked by watching an ad, but otherwise you need at least 80 RSR to unlock a gold or above unless you wait for hours to reduce the cost and can only have one chest counting down at a time. If you want to maximize your prizes without spending a lot of money, you get maybe 4 or 5 races at a time before you have to wait for hours to clear your four victory chest slots. I like the gameplay a lot, but only playing about 7 minutes or so at once counting loading and ad watches is a drag. I'm also annoyed that Tangle is just not as good as other characters because she doesn't have a mine item.:mad:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

#30 was another weak issue, all that happens is the Deadly Six and Eggman escaping to fight another day and answering where Sonic went. If it doesn't pick up soon, I might just wait for Bad Guys and drop the main book for the trades.

I mean we're right on the cusp on Evan Stanley becoming co-head writer with Ian (starting with issue 33), with it apparently being a while before Ian's next set of post-32 main book issues, and I'd imagine a new writer being thrown in the mix would change the pacing dynamic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, thanks for this write-up! We finally upgraded our phones, and I've been playing and enjoying Sonic Dash and Forces. I'd say you're spot on with Dash, but Forces isn't that complex. The only in-game currencies are Cards(for unlocking and upgrading characters), Gold Rings(for paying for upgrades when you have enough cards), and Red Star Rings(the most important, for buying Gold Rings and opening chests for Cards without waiting for hours). Gameplay wise I haven't seen any issues with pay to win given that character upgrades are kind of minimal compared to keeping a good line and dodging obstacles. Maybe that gets worse at higher levels, though.

Cards and Gold Rings come easily enough, especially if you take the reward doubling ads every time they're available. My real problem with Forces is how stingy it is with Red Star Rings. You get maybe 7-12 of them in free chests a day, assuming you check regularly and don't lose out because your two free chest slots are full. The silver victory chests can be unlocked by watching an ad, but otherwise you need at least 80 RSR to unlock a gold or above unless you wait for hours to reduce the cost and can only have one chest counting down at a time. If you want to maximize your prizes without spending a lot of money, you get maybe 4 or 5 races at a time before you have to wait for hours to clear your four victory chest slots. I like the gameplay a lot, but only playing about 7 minutes or so at once counting loading and ad watches is a drag. I'm also annoyed that Tangle is just not as good as other characters because she doesn't have a mine item.:mad:

Also Forces is entirely multiplayer only which kind of sucks. I kind of got bored with the other two after a while but I’m having a surprising amount of fun with the original Sonic Dash though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Larryb posted:

Also Forces is entirely multiplayer only which kind of sucks. I kind of got bored with the other two after a while but I’m having a surprising amount of fun with the original Sonic Dash though.

There are several characters and outfits I've seen ads for in forces that I'm hoping for in Dash- Tikal, Chaos, red silk dress Blaze...gotta max em all.

I'm also still grinding at Dash 2. gotta max out five more characters and ten more sprites, a combined total of about five million rings...

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

There are several characters and outfits I've seen ads for in forces that I'm hoping for in Dash- Tikal, Chaos, red silk dress Blaze...gotta max em all.

I'm also still grinding at Dash 2. gotta max out five more characters and ten more sprites, a combined total of about five million rings...

Same here, Lantern Blaze looks so pretty...:allears:

I started with Tangle as my free Rare character and have been getting Whisper cards randomly, hopefully the event characters switch to "hard to get" and not "impossible".

Also, :stonk: Why would you do that to yourself, Discendo Vox?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Agent Rush posted:

Same here, Lantern Blaze looks so pretty...:allears:

I started with Tangle as my free Rare character and have been getting Whisper cards randomly, hopefully the event characters switch to "hard to get" and not "impossible".

Also, :stonk: Why would you do that to yourself, Discendo Vox?

Completionism hits hard. Speaking of which, I was in the process of unlocking "Elite Agent Rouge" and was partway up one upgrade path when all of a sudden the next upgrade cost 84,600 rings.

For comparison, the most any other upgrade has ever cost, at the very end of a path, is 20k.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Completionism hits hard. Speaking of which, I was in the process of unlocking "Elite Agent Rouge" and was partway up one upgrade path when all of a sudden the next upgrade cost 84,600 rings.

For comparison, the most any other upgrade has ever cost, at the very end of a path, is 20k.

Out of curiosity, is there any actual difference between the various characters in Sonic Dash aside from appearance and animal bonuses?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any actual difference between the various characters in Sonic Dash aside from appearance and animal bonuses?

Upgrades max out at different tiers, which can have substantial effects (Metal Sonic is great for grinding rings because you wind up with almost constant magnet). Anecdotally, Big seems to eat inputs on the between zone QTE. Otherwise no, no other differences.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

I can see that, good luck!

Is it the Dash Boost? That happened to me too, the next upgrade was 84,004 when all the others at that level were only 8,400. It feels like a bug, I sent a support e-mail about it so I guess we'll see if they do anything.

In Forces news, I just unlocked Whisper and she's bananas. Her standard projectile fires in front and behind her, her mine fires a projectile first before hanging in place, giving it two chances to hit and it can't hit you, and her dash lets her fly at will as long as it's active. It's such a contrast from Tangle!

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Curious about something regarding Dash, is that little ground pound move your character can do (swipe straight down after jumping) actually useful for anything?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Curious about something regarding Dash, is that little ground pound move your character can do (swipe straight down after jumping) actually useful for anything?

You mean going straight into a roll after jumping? Later runs sometimes have low-clearance walls straight after pits, but other than navigating those I don't think it's anything special.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

You mean going straight into a roll after jumping? Later runs sometimes have low-clearance walls straight after pits, but other than navigating those I don't think it's anything special.

Ah ok, it seemed to generate a little shockwave when you land so I was wondering if that’s just a cosmetic thing or if it actually has a purpose.

Also I finally unlocked all the zones and non-event characters today. I like that they bothered to give Jet his own unique animations for pretty much everything.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I liked this week's issue, aside the amnesiac thing. Time for the cast to pick the pieces. Time for new plots to begin. It's not action packed and it didn't need to be.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Yeah sonic being amnesiac is not a plot point I'm super crazy about, I would have rather they just stuck with him being trapped in the sol dimension

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked the issue but on the page with all the characters, Team Chaotix needs to be listed as "They're detectives you want on your side"

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, it's a pretty good pay off for the Metal Virus arc and a great set-up for new stories. If we didn't have to wait so long between the end of the arc and this issue I wouldn't have been as annoyed. I'll agree with being wary of Sonic's amnesia, but I'll see where it goes/how long it lasts before I'll call it bad. Though I do like Starline still being loyal to Eggman and even more determined to prove his approach is better.

Also in Sonic mobile game news, Sonic Dash has an upcoming event to unlock Big the Cat and Sonic Forces is doing a re-run series for a bunch of the Special characters(existing characters in new costumes, one each day for the next few weeks or so.) I'd like to get them all, but Witch Rouge and Lunar Blaze are absolute priorities for me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technical question in regards to Dash, though I’ve confirmed it’s selected in iCloud and I have plenty of storage space, randomly I sometimes get a notification that iCloud save has been disabled. Any idea what’s up with that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok everything with the Metal Virus sega is finally resolved, and things are pretty much back to status quo.

Also Chao Races, so the next arc is likely going to involve Cream.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

And so ends Ian's run on IDW Sonic. He's still gonna be around though (for example he's writing the Bad Guys miniseries)

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Is he finished or alternating stories outside of miniseries? Cause I could have sworn I’d seen the later floated about somewhere. However I don’t begrudge him trying new things, he’s been riding that blue based video game writer train for a while, might be nice to take a break from it.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Agent_grey posted:

Is he finished or alternating stories outside of miniseries? Cause I could have sworn I’d seen the later floated about somewhere. However I don’t begrudge him trying new things, he’s been riding that blue based video game writer train for a while, might be nice to take a break from it.

He said he'll still be doing stories, whether that's huge arcs like the metal virus or not dont know, but he'll still be around

https://twitter.com/ianflynnbkc/status/1308789650392330243?s=21

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, it's honestly a shame to see Flynn leave on such a weak note overall, but I'm willing to give the new writer a fair shot. I'm also pretty interested in Bad Guys given where Starline ended up in the main series.

Larryb posted:

Technical question in regards to Dash, though I’ve confirmed it’s selected in iCloud and I have plenty of storage space, randomly I sometimes get a notification that iCloud save has been disabled. Any idea what’s up with that?

That's happened to me a few times on Android as well, I'm not sure what's going on because it re-enables again after I start the game. Also for anyone who got the Elite Agent Rouge bug in her leveling, it's apparently only for that one level. The next one after paying the inflated ring cost is the normal progression.

Is anyone else here playing Sonic Forces? Once I made it to 4,500 trophies, races suddenly became a lot less fun because for some reason when I get hit, I come to a dead stop and drop to 4th no matter what hits me or how well I was doing before. But when I hit other players (I even get the indicator at the top of the screen that says I hit them, so it shouldn't just be lag desync in positioning) they barely lose any speed at all. Only being able to win if I run a perfect race is frustrating as hell given that you can't select or filter courses.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

So what was the point of that amnesia bit if it was so simply resolved lol?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skeletome posted:

So what was the point of that amnesia bit if it was so simply resolved lol?

My guess is that before COVID caused all sorts of delays that the original plan was for Sonic to spend several issues in Blaze's world before coming back, but they had to cut it short because of that

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Oh, new issue's out already?

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is that before COVID caused all sorts of delays that the original plan was for Sonic to spend several issues in Blaze's world before coming back, but they had to cut it short because of that

That seems plausible, I figured it'd last at least long enough for Sonic's friends to meet Mr. Needlemouse and be horrified.

EDIT: Read #32, it definitely feels a bit rushed. It's a decent enough finish overall though, with a lot of characters getting a chance to show off again.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 24, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it's a laser gun but I got a kick out of Eggman just pulling out a loving gun to shoot at everyone when the mech started failing. Also poor Gemerl just cannot get a win, huh?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

I know it's a laser gun but I got a kick out of Eggman just pulling out a loving gun to shoot at everyone when the mech started failing. Also poor Gemerl just cannot get a win, huh?

Yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting Eggman to pull a handgun like that! Was Gemerl always so Worf-like? I remember once in the Archie series where he was going against Metal Sonic pretty hard until a swarm of badniks started shooting him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Not to mention said gun basically being a slightly scaled down version of the gun from BLAME

As for poor Gemerl, I'd say it's less getting Worfed and more that Eggman had specifically planned for him with a countermeasure that would not only remove him from the fight but also give his rushed and ramshackle robot a needed boost

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Also for anyone who got the Elite Agent Rouge bug in her leveling, it's apparently only for that one level. The next one after paying the inflated ring cost is the normal progression.

It happened because there’s an extra 4 in the value...meaning yes, they are actually manually entered for every character.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

It happened because there’s an extra 4 in the value...meaning yes, they are actually manually entered for every character.

:allears: Wow, that's honestly hilarious!

In Sonic Forces Speed Battle news, apparently my connection being trash was the reason I was having so much trouble. Turning off my wifi while I'm playing has brought things back to when I first started, where a single hit doesn't mean I should just give up! I'm having fun again, and just in time for Tidal Wave to be on the rotation.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Does anyone know why Flicky's Island was such an underwhelming game?

From the first Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles, it feels like the Sega Genesis games just became more advanced as they went along. Take the Special Stages for example. They became more challenging and complex, then this weird isometric game came out and all you had to do was run in a straight line collecting rings. It just felt like a total step back from the Special Stages in the third game. Bland. Uninspired.

It's enough to make me wonder if Flicky's Island existed as a proof of concept for a more complex game, then that game never got made and the tech demo was released instead.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

I dont think flicky's island is good but that seems like a pretty unfair assessment lol