Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

XMNN posted:

they've got an 80 seat majority, why on earth would they let labour have any say at any stage

Yeah, it's nonsense. As all the brexit votes showed, Tories simply won't vote for an opposition amendment, which means you're reduced to finding a Tory to put one forwards and good luck on a bill about protecting are troops from doing a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I don't mind using the app, I would prefer to not have bluetooth on all the time due to the security implications, but needs must.

My issue is can my phone tell how far away the other phone is? Modern phones bluetooth range can be massive. Like, other side of a playing field massive. Is it going to get a positive if someone walks past my house with a high fever?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how long after no deal brexit do they bring back the death penalty?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

xtothez posted:

It's time.

I am prepared to donate bags of dirty kitty litter if they will pay for postage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also it turns out Corbyn coulda been firing mps this whole time I guess

Finally got round to leaving labour

E it's pretty hilarious starmer was just in the papers being noshed off for supporting "rule of law"

He couldn't fire MPs (not from being MPs), they've been fired as shadow ministers, but they're still MPs.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

So how long after no deal brexit do they bring back the death penalty?

Well they've been going pretty heavy on quitting the ECHR which is a prerequisite, so perhaps not that long!

Very keen on the great times ahead.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He couldn't fire MPs (not from being MPs), they've been fired as shadow ministers, but they're still MPs.

is this what bojo did to his non-loyalists or was that something different labour cant do?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
"Human Rights

No Prosecutions "

Oh they got this all screwed up!

"Human Rights?

No, Prosecutions!"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

is this what bojo did to his non-loyalists or was that something different labour cant do?

I think Labour has a bit more "democratic" internal processes to prevent that.

Democratic in quotes given that the practical effect is that MPs keep on being MPs even if most of the party want them gone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

They had the whip withdrawn (which Labour could do to its MPs too) which means they sit as independent MPs.
But they're still MPs (until voted out at an election or until they step down or - rarely for Labour their constituencies could deselect them from standing as Labour - I assume the tories have some similar means of preventing candidates standing in their name.)

So e.g. Ken Clarke had the tory whip removed, but he was still MP until he stood down before the 2019 GE.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tsietisin posted:

I don't mind using the app, I would prefer to not have bluetooth on all the time due to the security implications, but needs must.

My issue is can my phone tell how far away the other phone is? Modern phones bluetooth range can be massive. Like, other side of a playing field massive. Is it going to get a positive if someone walks past my house with a high fever?

I'm wondering how it'll treat vertical distance too. Will someone in the 20th floor of a block of flats be alerted because someone on the 5th floor tested positive? Or are they too far away?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Remember that there eventually were trigger ballots under Corbyn and the left couldn't even get rid of Margaret Hodge

Also remember that half the people who voted for Corbyn as leader voted for Starmer

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tsietisin posted:

Not likely.

I’m sure some teknology person will correct me, but the way I understand it is each persons phone just spits out a stream of data every few minutes. (Think of it like each persons phone screaming a bunch of lottery numbers.)

Those numbers are stored locally on the phones of anyone who is around the phone when the numbers are spat out, to ensure it’s only counting people that you are spending time near (like say queing behind you in the supermarket.)

The numbers are also sent to the NHS/HSE big server, where all it really knows is the persons phone number and what their Covid Lottery numbers are.

If you come down with Covid and report it, the Server people are told that phone number user XXX has Covid and it sends out a message to the app which is “The winning Covid lottery numbers for today are as follows. If you have matches, you might now have Covid.”

Also I’m currently in hospital for a kidney stone and had a Covid test administered before I could go into surgery. It wasn’t fun, but it’s not nightmarish as I feared.
That being said the nurse was very good at doing the test, and I would not like to try and self administer it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsietisin posted:

I'm going to do a bit of speculation here.

First is that you'll need to be in contact with someone for a certain amount of time for it to register - not just passing in the street.

The other is it's testing for strength of signal each time - "I saw a device for 15 minutes and at one point it had a strong signal" should not be enough, as bluetooth strength varies, but if it has strong signal for, say, 10 out of those 15 minutes then you can assume that it's close.

But it's certainly tough. At first I thought it would be OK because of the tech apple uses to unlock a laptop, but I was misremembering.

The Apple tech is quite cool - the watch sends a bluetooth signal to the laptop, and the laptop then sends a wifi packet to be returned by the watch, and measures the amount of time it takes.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
gently caress I just hate Starmer so much. What a pathetic waste of time of a person. We are so hosed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

gently caress I just hate Starmer so much. What a pathetic waste of time of a person. We are so hosed.

The Labour right, like the Lib Dems, would rather serve in Hell than reign in Heaven. This is what happens every time when a politician has no principles other than "get elected".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's not even (supposedly) of the right, he's 'soft left', why is he so in thrall to these fucks?

The Question IRL posted:

I’m sure some teknology person will correct me, but the way I understand it is each persons phone just spits out a stream of data every few minutes. (Think of it like each persons phone screaming a bunch of lottery numbers.)
I've not picked through the source code much, but the app doesn't request location permissions, so it can only do proximity pairing rather than where it thinks the phone actually is.

It's far better than nothing, but it sounds like an inevitability that someone who's bored (or actively malicious) and off work for 2 weeks with the Covids will build something like the BlueSniper and flag hundreds of people in an area just because they can, because there's no location awareness.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's probably better. People simply will not use it if they think their location is being tracked, especially when there are fines for going out when you're not supposed to.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I voted for RLB as leader and Richard Burgon as deputy. Seeing them in the Labour18 is one of the reasons I was so glad.

Also spotting the classic 'always voting on the right side of history' trio of Abbot, Corbyn and McDonnell makes me wish we had them in the top three roles.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

He's not even (supposedly) of the right, he's 'soft left', why is he so in thrall to these fucks?

I've not picked through the source code much, but the app doesn't request location permissions, so it can only do proximity pairing rather than where it thinks the phone actually is.

It's far better than nothing, but it sounds like an inevitability that someone who's bored (or actively malicious) and off work for 2 weeks with the Covids will build something like the BlueSniper and flag hundreds of people in an area just because they can, because there's no location awareness.

If it used location instead of Bluetooth then people could just spoof GPS anyway to achieve the same effect. At least Bluetooth location spoofing requires hardware.

Potential for bad actors doesn't mean we shouldn't do things.

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 24, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if you want to watch Liz Truss get ritually murdered by a selection of MPs, you can watch BBC Parliament from about 10:35am onwards, or just read this person on twitter liveblogging it

https://twitter.com/SakuraNoSeirei/status/1309066090069229568

i mean it's not going to change anything as the government has no shame at all, but oh well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

That's probably better. People simply will not use it if they think their location is being tracked, especially when there are fines for going out when you're not supposed to.
Yeah, I think that was the rationale for not putting it in.

It was also the rationale for Hancock rejecting the Apple/Google framework initially (well, the on paper one, not the giving money to his friends one).

You could give the app access to the location but not have it store that on any central server like Hancock wanted though. Like it spits out, as The Question IRL put it, a series of lottery numbers, but also says "and I'm here" so that phones can tell roughly whether another phone they're in contact with is a block away or right next to you without being trackable from the app.

blunt posted:

If it used location instead of Bluetooth then people could just spoof GPS anyway to achieve the same effect. At least Bluetooth location spoofing requires hardware.

Potential for bad actors doesn't mean we shouldn't do things.
Sure, but if you had it able to say roughly where it was to phones within bluetooth range you'd need to do both. It's not a reason not to use the app, it's just something that will probably happen and an additional hurdle could have been put in. If Pokémon GO can protect against the most popular forms of GPS spoofing to the point that >99% won't bother then it's doable.

e: ^^ gently caress this government and gently caress terfs. Interesting the "If cis women were forced to go through a lengthy and humiliating series of medical exams before they were allowed to be recognised as women the attitudes of Truss and her ilk would change rapidly." comment though, because that is pretty much how cis women were medicalized in the past, and I'm not so sure that Tories would be as opposed as the commentator thinks if we keep going down this path.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 24, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

He's only been an MP for five years, he's basically a blank slate like those robot bodies you can download a celebrity onto in Futurama.

Unfortunately his programming has been corrupted by the Sensible Centrists.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
god Truss is such a waste of space

I don't know why I'm still disappointed by politicians not remotely acknowledging the point of questions and just reiterating some barely-related talking points on the vague issue after a good 15 years of paying attention to politics, but still

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

So the app constantly uses bluetooth to scan nearby phones for positive test results?

That sounds like something I don't want constantly running on my phone.

Singapore have a contact tracing keyfob thing.

Much cooler IMO

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53146360

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The 1980s broke the soft-left. Now the Tribune Group is full of people like Yvette Cooper, Stephen Kinnock, Ian Murray, Dan Jarvis, Rosie Duffield, who are all some flavour of Blair/Brownite 2000s rejects.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Angepain posted:

god Truss is such a waste of space

I don't know why I'm still disappointed by politicians not remotely acknowledging the point of questions and just reiterating some barely-related talking points on the vague issue after a good 15 years of paying attention to politics, but still

It's the depressing inevitability of it all, we all saw this coming, it just makes me want to retch. I feel like the last few years since transitioning has felt like being publicly vivisected; on the one side of the table a bunch of doctors digging through and going "Don't worry, we'll find your validity here somewhere", on the other side a haruspex pointing out how my intestines clearly show the fall of civilisation. Just want to live my goddamn life.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rishi's gonna cover 2/3 of employee wages for 6 months provided employees work 1/3 of their contracted hours for the next six months.

Extending the self employed grant for the same period.

Doesn't apply to big companies who's revenue hasn't been impacted.

All seems pretty reasonable? (Other than companies being able to claim the job retention bonus but then immediately put that employer on 1/3hrs)

vvvvvvvvvvvv it's quite depressing how good the Conservatives have got at social media. That dropped last night right as Starmer's statement ended last night and I saw it get posted a lot in comment sections last night 😔

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 24, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Great work Keith

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1308846115438157824?s=19

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not sure I like this new phase of The Great Pendragon Campaign. (it is a RPG joke)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

CRISP EMERGENCY! CRISP EMERGENCY!

https://twitter.com/m4tt/status/1308688871291596800

Genuinely pretty sad about this.

This loving sucks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Loved reading about Eric Heffer, on his deathbed with cancer, being visited by Kinnock & saying to him "You should be dying, not me".

gently caress the "soft left".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

So the app constantly uses bluetooth to scan nearby phones for positive test results?

That sounds like something I don't want constantly running on my phone.
I'm going to be constantly getting sent for tests because the oval office next door has re-opened his airbnb hotel, so everyone staying in the room attached to mine hacking their lungs out at 3am is going to trigger a proximity warning.

That and my sister in law still being an idiot and going out most evenings. I'm going to constantly be sent two counties over for tests and probably actually catch it from public transport I can't afford thanks to those two bellends.

Can't loving wait to move out.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 24, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

blunt posted:

Rishi's gonna cover 2/3 of employee wages for 6 months provided employees work 1/3 of their contracted hours for the next six months.

Extending the self employed grant for the same period.

Doesn't apply to big companies who's revenue hasn't been impacted.

All seems pretty reasonable? (Other than companies being able to claim the job retention bonus but then immediately put that employer on 1/3hrs)

Doesn't help people who are still unable to work even 1/3 of their hours and have been on furlough the whole time. Just dragging out the increasingly tenuous connection between work and pay. gently caress it all into the sea and launch UBI now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The maths of this new job support scheme seem completely wonky. Businesses are being asked to pay 55% of an employees wages for them to work 33% of their hours.

Who is gonna sign up for that?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1308836454731313154

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Labour will fight" is pretty loving laughable.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

stev posted:

"Labour will fight" is pretty loving laughable.

"By fight we didn't mean vote against."

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Nope, this was designed by real competent engineers.

Once you have a diagnosis it won't report matches to others anymore a) because you're in quarantine and b) to prevent this very thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Why does this look like a Burger King ad