Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

store the emails on an email server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Last Chance posted:

store the emails on an email server?

I want my own, offline copy of everything as a backup in case google goes bust or my account gets locked out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Moo the cow posted:

I want my own, offline copy of everything as a backup in case google goes bust or my account gets locked out.

Your “email server” can also be a computer that lives in your house.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or you just have the .pst archives as an easy way to keep the emails in a format that will be readable for the foreseeable future and you don't have to computer janitor.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I dunno if this is still the case, but back in my tech support said we got pretty frequently calls about huge .pst files being impossible to open. So if you're going that route it might be a good idea to keep multiple smaller ones rather than one big chunk?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I appreciate the advice, but I am not setting up and maintaining a separate mail server solely to access an archive once a year.

I know that large .psts are frowned upon when using Outlook across a network, but I am not going to be using that archive other than adding to it/extracting to Mailstore once a year, so hopefully I can avoid those issues.
I was just wondering if there were any magic sizes that were recommended/any specific warnings or issues to be aware of with a .pst of 4GB+ in size. Maybe I will just split it into 3GB chunks to make them a bit more manageable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moo the cow posted:

I appreciate the advice, but I am not setting up and maintaining a separate mail server solely to access an archive once a year.

I know that large .psts are frowned upon when using Outlook across a network, but I am not going to be using that archive other than adding to it/extracting to Mailstore once a year, so hopefully I can avoid those issues.
I was just wondering if there were any magic sizes that were recommended/any specific warnings or issues to be aware of with a .pst of 4GB+ in size. Maybe I will just split it into 3GB chunks to make them a bit more manageable.

Ancient software can't read PSTs bigger than 2GB, but I doubt that would be an issue today (especially if you continue to use outlook or other MS software).

But if you're doing it yearly, you should just dump that year's emails into email2020.pst and do 1 per year. That way each file gets written to once, you can move it to whatever backup solution you use, and never touch it again. Not touching things is the best way to keep them safe. Plus you don't have to worry about oversize PSTs or trying to upload to some service that only accepts a limited import. Yes it's harder to immediately get your whole archive working, but conversely it's much easier to get the most recent year (aka the stuff that might be relevant) online.

When your scenario is "google ceases to exist" I think you can accept a certain amount of hassle to restoring everything because it's pretty low probability that you'll ever need it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Klyith posted:

Ancient software can't read PSTs bigger than 2GB, but I doubt that would be an issue today (especially if you continue to use outlook or other MS software).

But if you're doing it yearly, you should just dump that year's emails into email2020.pst and do 1 per year. That way each file gets written to once, you can move it to whatever backup solution you use, and never touch it again. Not touching things is the best way to keep them safe. Plus you don't have to worry about oversize PSTs or trying to upload to some service that only accepts a limited import. Yes it's harder to immediately get your whole archive working, but conversely it's much easier to get the most recent year (aka the stuff that might be relevant) online.

Thanks, that is very helpful and sounds like a very sensible option.

The only issue is that Mailstore Home only allows a max of 3 .psts to be archived (I think, the software is good, the documentation is not), so I am going to have to bundle multiple years together, but at least 2/3rds of them will remain only touched once.

Klyith posted:

When your scenario is "google ceases to exist" I think you can accept a certain amount of hassle to restoring everything because it's pretty low probability that you'll ever need it.
Well, the 'google going bust' part was tongue-in-cheek', but what is not impossible is getting locked out of my account and learning that you get the support you pay for with free services.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Moo the cow posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong with using a .pst as an archive for email?

Once a year I make a copy of my emails from the year and add them to a .pst. It's nearly 4GB now.

I don't actually use this to access them very often: maybe open it in Outlook 4 times a year and I am setting up Mailstore Home which extracts everything and makes a searchable achive using its own database, so it's not like there are many opportunities to break it, but I know that people get funny looks on their faces when people mention multi-GB .psts and I was wondering if there was a generally-accepted Better Way to do this?

I think once you get past 4gb Outlook shits itself with them. I recommend just doing multiple PSTs, one for each year.

EFB; Didn't see the new page.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Medullah posted:

I think once you get past 4gb Outlook shits itself with them. I recommend just doing multiple PSTs, one for each year.

EFB; Didn't see the new page.

Ah, helpful:that made me do some more looking: (I had in my mind that 10GB was Too Big.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2759052/you-may-experience-application-pauses-if-you-have-a-large-outlook-data

quote:

If you have a large .pst or .ost file, you may experience application pauses while you perform typical operations in Outlook. These typical operations include reading email messages, moving email messages, and deleting email messages.
The following list summarizes expected behavior based on the size of your Outlook data file.

Up to 5 GB: This file size should provide a good user experience on most hardware.
Between 5 and 10 GB: This file size is typically hardware dependent. Therefore, if you have a fast hard disk and lots of RAM, your experience will be better. However, slower hard disk drives, such as drives that are typically found on portable computers or early-generation solid-state drives (SSDs), experience some application pauses when the drives respond.
More than 10 GB: When the .ost file reaches this size, short pauses begin to occur on most hardware.
Very large (25 GB or larger): An .ost file of this size increases the frequency of short pauses, especially while you are downloading new email messages. However, you can use Send/Receive groups to manually sync your mail. For more information about Send/Receive groups, see the "Are you synchronizing many RSS feeds?" section.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
An unhelpful anecdote:
I had a job where they decided to limit each user to like 500 MB of email storage (I would send several MB PowerPoints multiple times a day), then limit everyone's personal storage on the server to 1 GB, so multiple times a year I had to download all my emails, add them to an archive, and burn that archive to DVD in case I needed them in the future. Just buy another hard drive for the server!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uthor posted:

An unhelpful anecdote:
I had a job where they decided to limit each user to like 500 MB of email storage (I would send several MB PowerPoints multiple times a day), then limit everyone's personal storage on the server to 1 GB, so multiple times a year I had to download all my emails, add them to an archive, and burn that archive to DVD in case I needed them in the future. Just buy another hard drive for the server!

We had this and blocked PST's through GPO!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I loved Eudora back in 1997 because you could make it store its database in flat text files per subfolder. I can search through these files to this day. Not that I ever do that, but I could! It could also auto-detach attachments and dump them in some folder.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Flipperwaldt posted:

I loved Eudora back in 1997 because you could make it store its database in flat text files per subfolder. I can search through these files to this day. Not that I ever do that, but I could! It could also auto-detach attachments and dump them in some folder.

If you use Outlook.com, there's a pre-built Flow that does the attachment thing. I imagine you could build one to store emails as plain text, too, if you wanted.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Hey, my build is less than 2 weeks old on a fresh install of windows and my PC has been locking up. It's killing me and I want to figure out why and don't know where to start as the last few times I've only been using chrome/discord. Opened event viewer and saw this

Anyone able to translate what all this is? I can't take screenshots while it's frozen as any app open when it freezes seems to lock up, windows apps won't work, and it won't let me use the task bar/chrome/other random stuff, but I can open other stuff. It won't let me shut down/restart and when I tried to switch user out of curiosity, it just black screened.

It also seems to effect my restart as when I restart normally, my last BIOS time is under 15 seconds, though when manually rebooting after a lockup, it's 35-40 seconds.

I was able to open Task Manager this last time and it showed my GPU/Memory at normal levels (35/26%) but it showed my GPU at 100% even though I wasn't playing anything. HWMonitor doesn't show said GPU at a high usage or temp.

EDIT: I didn't even put the latest crash, that was the first one today. Here's the one that happened ~25 min ago

I remember the lock up happening around 4:54pm or so, which is 4 min before the reboot.

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 24, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Instead of event viewer can you load up Reliability History and see what's crashing there first?

Edit: Also the GPU thing makes it sound like you're infected with crypto-mining malware.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DarkestLite posted:

Anyone able to translate what all this is?

All the DCOM errors are ignorable bullshit that you can totally ignore. They're the legacy of the microsoft org chart and aren't the cause of your problems -- every fresh win10 install has those.

(It's possible to "fix" them, there are instructions out there on the internet for doing so. I don't recommend doing it, because a) you're digging around in deep registry guts and it's not straightforward, and b) I did it and the fix only lasted until the next big update. Soon as a bi-annual major update happened, my event log is back to being spammed with DCOM crap. Instead you can just filter them out by making a copy of the "Administrative Events" view and putting "-10016" in the filter box like so.)

As far as your *actual* problem, did you run memtest to check memory stability after putting together your build? That would be my first instinct.

DarkestLite posted:

I was able to open Task Manager this last time and it showed my GPU/Memory at normal levels (35/26%) but it showed my GPU at 100% even though I wasn't playing anything. HWMonitor doesn't show said GPU at a high usage or temp.
Task manager is bad at measuring, or not using the same measure of GPU activity as the GPU drivers, so I don't think that's the issue.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone know of a cheap solution to backup windows server? The built in Windows Server Backup actually works like crap when you're trying to do a full backup of itself. Everything seems to be super expensive since I'm backing up a Server OS.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I bought an HDMI switch with audio splitter so that I could swap my secondary monitor between showing my extended desktop and my Nintendo Switch. My problem is that Windows won't let me send audio down towards the secondary monitor because it's (correctly) detected as a monitor without speakers. Of course, I want the sound to go that way anyway because the audio splitter will take care of sending that to my speakers. Can I force the sound anyway? Pretty sure updating the drivers won't work because the problem is that the monitor really doesn't have its own speakers, and Windows isn't aware that there's a device in the middle that wants the sound. The NVIDIA control panel detects the same so I can't make it do it through there either.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

DarkestLite posted:

Hey, my build is less than 2 weeks old on a fresh install of windows and my PC has been locking up. It's killing me and I want to figure out why and don't know where to start
Windows repair? Maybe something's installed improperly and corrupted.
SFC.exe and DISM

Or check drive health with crystaldiskinfo.
Or what the other posters said.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is a dumb suggestion, but its saved me from troubleshooting strange issues a couple times now with new PC builds: Re-seat the gpu and ram as well as any cables. Turns out real weird poo poo can happen if some components have a loose connection, and googling the issues leads down a rabbit hole of hardware tests and driver problems instead of hinting that one might not have jammed a part in with enough force.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I mostly answered my own question, but I have a 4k 27" next to a 1440p 27" monitor. Is there a neat way to get the mouse to cross between them at approximately the same physical location? By default the edges are not DPI-aware and the transition is 1:1 in pixels only.

The solution I found is this package on github, and while it seems to work and not contain anything obviously malicious, I'm open to alternatives.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Klyith posted:

As far as your *actual* problem, did you run memtest to check memory stability after putting together your build? That would be my first instinct.

Did a 6+ hr 4 pass memtest overnight, no errors reported.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Windows repair? Maybe something's installed improperly and corrupted.
SFC.exe and DISM

Or check drive health with crystaldiskinfo.
Or what the other posters said.

No issues with crystaldiskinfo, doing repair now but no dice so far.

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is a dumb suggestion, but its saved me from troubleshooting strange issues a couple times now with new PC builds: Re-seat the gpu and ram as well as any cables. Turns out real weird poo poo can happen if some components have a loose connection, and googling the issues leads down a rabbit hole of hardware tests and driver problems instead of hinting that one might not have jammed a part in with enough force.

This is real dumb but also something I wouldn't put past myself of doing :v: I'll check it after lunch.

For some more info, here's the crashes from the reliability monitor that I totally didn't know was a thing.

For the Halo ones, it never locked up but I did Alt+F4 to close it both times. Is that the "stopped responding"?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is Malwarebytes still the go to for free ad hoc malware scanning. I don't need anything running realtime, just something to start up every now and again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gromit posted:

I don't need anything running realtime

Yes, you do. Just turn on the built-in Windows one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
What's the status of Windows 7/8.1 upgrade to 10? If I use a thumbdrive I made in January is the old serial or a generic still going to work?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Yes, you do. Just turn on the built-in Windows one.

I already have the Windows virus and threat detection running. I'm talking about malware scans that I can run over my install whenever I feel like it. I used to use Malwarebytes for that, but now it really pushes wanting me to upgrade to the pro version and I'm wondering if there are better options.
Or are you suggesting that Windows has now rendered those sorts of things obsolete?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Unless you're in the habit of using files from dubious sources, such as :filez:, it pretty much has. The Windows Defender detection is good enough for most standard usage. If you want something better, you're better off getting a proper antivirus software rather than Malwarebytes, which (last I checked) doesn't have the best reputation anymore. I might be misremembering, though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Absolutely never get a proper antivirus software. Windows Defender is all you need, don't buy third-party virus scanners. That's just a way to hose your installation and spend money on a product that increases your attack surface.

If you want more security, enable PUAProtection (protects from adware, "potentially unwanted application") and Network Protection (blocks access to dangerous URLs) for Defender in addition, either through Group Policy/Powershell/Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-network-protection

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love the sheer number of lovely antivirus software that will MITM all your https connections even more insecurely (like accepting expired, bad, invalid certs and re-serving a permanently trusted root CA to the browser), install malware vulnerable injectable/XSSable addons, etc.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Fame Douglas posted:

Absolutely never get a proper antivirus software. Windows Defender is all you need, don't buy third-party virus scanners. That's just a way to hose your installation and spend money on a product that increases your attack surface.

If you want more security, enable PUAProtection (protects from adware, "potentially unwanted application") and Network Protection (blocks access to dangerous URLs) for Defender in addition, either through Group Policy/Powershell/Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-network-protection

That's not available for the home user, though, isn't it?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moo the cow posted:

That's not available for the home user, though, isn't it?

Should work on Home as well. They certainly do on Pro.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

I absolutely love the sheer number of lovely antivirus software that will MITM all your https connections even more insecurely (like accepting expired, bad, invalid certs and re-serving a permanently trusted root CA to the browser), install malware vulnerable injectable/XSSable addons, etc.

Wasn't there some av that spied on you and then sold your data, too?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

tight aspirations posted:

Wasn't there some av that spied on you and then sold your data, too?

More than one. Avast was the one that also owned a "buy users personal info and browsing history!!!" company.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I also pointed my router to an ad blocking dns service, because the school-managed Chromebooks "can't" have an adblocker installed according to the school IT manager *cough*bullshit*cough*kickbacks*cough*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fame Douglas posted:

There are many reasons I'm glad I'm no longer with the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but I'm super glad I left before Windows 10 came out. So much of our revenue came from selling Antivirus and Antispyware software with new computers and charging $100 to install it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I have some recurring problems with a Windows properly recognizing a specific Bluetooth device, and I can only seem to resolve these problems by restarting Windows. Identical devices have the same problem whenever mine does, so it's not a problem with mine specifically. Restarting Windows always does the trick for a while, until I have to do it again, but I'd rather not. What things should I try restarting so that I don't have to restart the whole machine?

I've already tried:
Removing the device from the list of paired devices, then pairing it again.
Restarting all the services under Services that start with "Bluetooth".
Disconnecting and reconnecting the Bluetooth receiver itself.

None of these help; as far as I've been able to figure out, only restarting Windows does. Have I missed anything?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

I have some recurring problems with a Windows properly recognizing a specific Bluetooth device, and I can only seem to resolve these problems by restarting Windows. Identical devices have the same problem whenever mine does, so it's not a problem with mine specifically. Restarting Windows always does the trick for a while, until I have to do it again, but I'd rather not. What things should I try restarting so that I don't have to restart the whole machine?

I've already tried:
Removing the device from the list of paired devices, then pairing it again.
Restarting all the services under Services that start with "Bluetooth".
Disconnecting and reconnecting the Bluetooth receiver itself.

None of these help; as far as I've been able to figure out, only restarting Windows does. Have I missed anything?

Which BT controller ? Update its drivers. If that doesn't work maybe time for a new BT card.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Argue posted:

Update drivers for the bluetooth receiver? (Also, what's the model of the receiver? If it's old enough that it uses a non-MS bluetooth stack, you should junk it and get a new one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

redeyes posted:

Which BT controller ? Update its drivers. If that doesn't work maybe time for a new BT card.

It's a joycon; I'm using the default drivers because there's always something wrong with the third party ones (typically the others don't want to map all the buttons, or something like that). I even bought a Mayflash but it's missing button mappings too.

My Bluetooth just goes through a USB dongle; it's not an expensive one but I would have thought TP-Link would have been a respectable enough brand. I'll see if I can find another one to verify that the problem persists.

===========
Edit:

Okay, I found my older cheap dongle and was able to connect the controller, but... same problem. I think there's definitely something going on in Windows. With both USB receivers, the controller is paired and connected and detected as a game controller, but not a single button actually registers as input. Also, if this helps any, I can tell when the problem occurs because the LED configuration on the controller is different when it works vs when it doesn't work immediately after connecting.

Further things I've tried:

Running a number of the third party drivers explicitly meant for joycons--detects controllers, and buttons actually register, but because of one limitation or another with those drivers themselves, not all the buttons are recognized. Which means that the controller IS connected and sending input to Windows, but for some reason it's not being interpreted as a game controller.

Uninstalling EVERY bluetooth device on Device Manager--didn't help.

Installing a new bluetooth stack (CSR Harmony)--didn't even want to pair, and according to the internet, that stack really can't connect to joycons. Reverted back to default Win 10 stack afterwards.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 25, 2020