Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i heard about that pregnant mom getting hit by her son in that same way so nope, pin enabled

what i knew you meant: a child from a previous pregnancy

what i read anyway: suicidal telekinetic fetus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

what i knew you meant: a child from a previous pregnancy

what i read anyway: suicidal telekinetic fetus

scanners was a documentary

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

my car still let me in, and i drove it despite the network being down. if i had deleted my app, i'd have to take the painful task of putting my key up to the door. some folks forgot to carry their key after deleting their app today

not being able to drive your car because of a cloud outage is just an edge case, so don't worry about it. when you think about it, people who were locked out of their own property because someone else's computer broke are the real morons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

people who were locked out of their own property because someone else's computer broke are the real morons

this is completely true, yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nfcknblvbl posted:

dude i answered your questions earlier. i was washing the car.

you can't drive it while in theater mode: thats games, netflix, youtube, etc. theater mode wasn't a thing back when i had that oh poo poo moment.

as long as there's a butt on the driver's seat, and a phone registered as a key inside, you can drive the car. there's no on/off or whatever. this isn't a thing unique to tesla any more, i know the taycan does this now too. it's neat except when you have kids playing with the controls.

real carmakers put a toggle button somewhere that disables keyless entry and ignition, if only for battery preservation

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

why is there not a hardware interlock that differentiates between "screen on" mode and "car will move" mode, like the ACC position in a regular car?

they say in the post you're quoting that you have to press the break pedal too but if their three year old can reach the pedals at their seat settings Tori may have some competition for the canonicalaly shortest poster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nfcknblvbl posted:

watching movies & youtube on it is what i do on lunch breaks, it's great

lunchtime!! gonna go sit in my car :toot:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

lunchtime!! gonna go sit in my car :toot:

i mean ive had coworkers take lunch naps (five kids! probably the only reliable sleep time) in their cars regardless of make and model so that seems somewhat common

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, if your life is an unending hell world of screaming children, you take it where you can get it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Agile Vector posted:

i mean ive had coworkers take lunch naps (five kids! probably the only reliable sleep time) in their cars regardless of make and model so that seems somewhat common

I would just put my headphones in and sleep at my desk, seems a lot more comfortable than it would be to have to idle a car just to run heat or ac for 30/60 minutes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I would just put my headphones in and sleep at my desk, seems a lot more comfortable than it would be to have to idle a car just to run heat or ac for 30/60 minutes.
hey. hey. hey! you don’t seem too busy ha ha ha, would you mind showing me how th

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Iron Crowned posted:

sleeping at your desk has been specifically called out as inappropriate in the handbook the last three places I've worked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

your workspace is for revenue generating activities only. if you need to collapse from exhaustion, please use your own space to do so

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

infernal machines posted:

your workspace is for revenue generating activities only. if you need to collapse from exhaustion, please use your own space to do so

we're meant to be a profit center, not a cots center.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ynohtna posted:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i'm just testing the REST api

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

ynohtna posted:

most of the folks at the big 3 china tech companies I've been to have cots at their desk for a siesta after lunch which sounds great until you realize they all work 12+ hour days 6-7 days a week.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ynohtna posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I only produce actual work for like 3-4 hours a day but im usually 100% on it for that time. wfh has really let me embrace that rather than pretending to work for 8 hours a day and actually accomplishing next to nothing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jesus WEP posted:

I only produce actual work for like 3-4 hours a day but im usually 100% on it for that time. wfh has really let me embrace that rather than pretending to work for 8 hours a day and actually accomplishing next to nothing

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

i've been back at the office since june, and i miss doing exactly this from march thru may. my house was cleaner, i spent more time with my kids

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Munkeymon posted:

sleeping at your desk has been specifically called out as inappropriate in the handbook the last three places I've worked

We are all required to take an hour lunch at the exact same time, so I figure it doesn't count because I'm not getting paid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, it probably helps that I have a cubicle that takes effort to get to

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

In your hellscape maybe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

evil_bunnY posted:

In your hellscape maybe

normally a tired employee would sleep in a lounge chair, but we had enough that would sleep in their car. weird as hell, but whatever

first time a coworker saw it they knocked on the window to make sure the lady was alright. she was mad af that they woke her from her nap lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Agile Vector posted:

the russians used a condom

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Nomnom Cookie posted:

not being able to drive your car because of a cloud outage is just an edge case, so don't worry about it. when you think about it, people who were locked out of their own property because someone else's computer broke are the real morons

This car has air filters that can keep you safe in a biological attack. Also you can't use this car if the cleaning lady unplugs the server to plug in her vacuum.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/subach/status/1308931136819621891?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ron howard voice: it was not happening

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
its always incredible when, like the buttcoin thread, a true believer graces the thread

Not a Children posted:

I mean this is completely independent from the whole Teslas being deathtraps discourse but you just plain shouldn't allow your kid in the driver's seat until you're teaching them to drive

Invariably the kid is going to want to act like their parents and play with all the fun knobs and levers

as a kid who did just this: at one point i got into my dad's toyota pickup and put it in neutral (it was a manual) and it started rolling slowly

kids will absolutely do this sort of thing

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Plank Walker posted:

i'm just testing the REST api

:five:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

its always incredible when, like the buttcoin thread, a true believer graces the thread

as a kid who did just this: at one point i got into my dad's toyota pickup and put it in neutral (it was a manual) and it started rolling slowly

Yeah same when I was about, idk 8 maybe, I put my dad's car in reverse with the engine running. I didn't use the clutch at all so it lunged backwards a bit and then promptly stalled. Luckily nothing or nobody was in the way.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

but did you love car?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips is the series where he rolls the parents car into the ditch in front of their house.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips is the series where he rolls the parents car into the ditch in front of their house.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
i once played in my parents' car (no ignition or key) and turned the steering wheel so much that the steering wheel lock engaged and i thought i had broken the car

better than ruining the tires in your tesla i guess

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

NFX posted:

i once played in my parents' car (no ignition or key) and turned the steering wheel so much that the steering wheel lock engaged and i thought i had broken the car

better than ruining the tires in your tesla i guess

i did exactly the same thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m old enough that when I played in the truck as a kid I got yelled at for flooding the engine.

e: it was an old truck then anyway

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Model S front control arm breaks at 200kph

https://tff-forum.de/t/bruch-des-querlenkers-bei-200km-h/80271

TW: Deutsch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zamujasa posted:

I learned this the hard way with my Dad's friend's boat when I was 6 years old

He showed me how the throttle worked, and operated it while the engine was off to show how it moved. It looked like harmless fun! So when they went to bring some coolers into the cabin I went to play with the fun slidey lever

Thank god the boat was tied off. I got more than a scolding for that one.

Kids are fuckin' dumb and anyone who trusts them alone with heavy machinery is 10 times dumber