Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I have the Pro Max and it's sick nasty. The only difference between it and the Black Max is more bearings and maybe some build components, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, baitcasters are not for me. I got real tired of backlash and birds nests real quick.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Elmnt80 posted:

You can put any baitcasting reel on any baitcasting rod. I've got abu, daiwa and lews reels on a different brand's rods because I really do love options that company has and the general feel of their rods.

I have a $15 baitcaster on a lovely Shakespeare spincast rod that someone abandoned at a local lake. I have a lot of affection for it because I've pulled in multiple 4-6 pound fish on it and a sea trout once yanked it into the water, but it's still goin'.

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, baitcasters are not for me. I got real tired of backlash and birds nests real quick.

I felt the same way until I bought one and took the time to dial in the magnets and drag where it needed to be. I still get them, but picking them out has become simple. Then again, I tend to only use it for bottom fishing in areas where I can just huck it overhand.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went fishing with an old coworker this weekend up in WI. Weather was about perfect and we spent the entire day on the water. Didn't catch anything huge but it wasn't a wasted day. Caught a few rock bass and perch. Even got one on a fly. I was trying to target pike on the fly and managed to get one to follow and half assed strike that white and red fly but didn't connect fully. Great adrenaline rush for a few seconds, though.

Now I need to buy a boat...

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Man, rock bass look so cool.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mukulu posted:

Man, rock bass look so cool.

They fight like smallies, too! Too bad they don't get very large.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They fight like smallies, too! Too bad they don't get very large.

Right?!?! I love when I'm panfishing and all of a sudden I hit a tank and pull in a rock bass. I mean... I'm cool with their size, they're the bruisers of panfish in my (lovely) opinion.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
On the advice of someone in Discord I picked up a Ugly Stik 6' med/med spinning rod+reel combo last weekend and have been out every day working on my cast and playing with different lures. What would be a good complementary second rod+reel? I'm targeting bass to start out with but also have crappie and catfish in the nearby ponds. So far I've had luck* with a Texas-rigged worm but with fall just around the corner I'd also like to try some topwater.

*I've caught one little bass

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So some shitlord kids broke into my garage last night (morning?) and stole all of my tools, and my three tackleboxes. I know they're idiot kids because they left the poles/reels and they stole my camera, which caught all three of them. Anyway, time to buy new tackleboxes and fill them exclusively with different sized dick spoons.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 18, 2020

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

So some shitlord kids broke into my garage last night (morning?) and stole all of my tools, and my three tackleboxes. I know they're idiot kids because they left the poles/reels and they stole my camera, which caught all three of them. Anyway, time to buy new tackleboxes and fill them exclusively with different sized dick spoons.

Hopefully they’re identifiable in the video from the camera, and you get your stuff back.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I know I posted about baitcaster recommendations but a) I can't seem to get my hands on good low-cost options locally and b) even online stock seems to be demolished, I've decided to just purchase a small spinning reel for a rod I already have so I can get started and relearn all my rigs and knots and poo poo. I'll likely pick up a baitcast combo in the spring to learn, but I'm ready to do a little fishing before it gets cold.

What is the consensus thread-favorite low-cost freshwater spinning reel in a 2000/2500 size? Pflueger President? I'm cool spending up to like 100$ for a good one if it'll last, and especially since I won't have to purchase a rod.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

gamera009 posted:

Hopefully they’re identifiable in the video from the camera, and you get your stuff back.

Oh they are, and one of them has blue hair even. Thanks for the well wishes!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

LeeMajors posted:

What is the consensus thread-favorite low-cost freshwater spinning reel in a 2000/2500 size? Pflueger President? I'm cool spending up to like 100$ for a good one if it'll last, and especially since I won't have to purchase a rod.

The President is a good option, I had one. Shimano Sedona is a great option in that range, too.

https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/buyers-guide-best-rod-and-reel-combos-under-100

Tactical Bassin does a buyer's guide every year. They are a wealth of good information.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The revo x is also in that $100 range and I have beat the absolute piss out of my abu reels with no breakage. Just know an abu 30 is closet to other brands 2500 than their 3000.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 19, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Awesome thanks y'all--especially for the link. Google yields so much goddamned contradictory information it feels like a wash sometimes.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm kind of cheap, but it'd be tough for me to drop $100 on a reel. I'm still using a $25 Walmart catfish rig ten years and three states later.

That said, there's a sweet spot between $60 & $80 that gives a higher quality reel and lasts a long time. My Abu Cardinal from 15ish years ago does feel a lot better.

But they both work :eng101:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LeeMajors posted:

Awesome thanks y'all--especially for the link. Google yields so much goddamned contradictory information it feels like a wash sometimes.

I like my President a lot, but I'm also really happy with my Pflueger Trion and my abu silvermax. Both were in the $30 range i think, the pflueger is a little nicer

All of them definitely feel much better than the bargain combo reels i have from Daiwa and Shakespeare

titties fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 19, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Amazon sent me an email showing me some St. Croix rods. $130. gently caress around! I'm out here throwin' tackle with rods older than me. I think the most I've ever spent on a rod was like 10 bucks for the Berkely Cherrywood that I'm using for my mini spinner setup.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My cherrywood hd sucks and i love it

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

99% of tackle is intended to catch fishermen in the store, not fish on the water.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm kind of cheap, but it'd be tough for me to drop $100 on a reel. I'm still using a $25 Walmart catfish rig ten years and three states later.

That said, there's a sweet spot between $60 & $80 that gives a higher quality reel and lasts a long time. My Abu Cardinal from 15ish years ago does feel a lot better.

But they both work :eng101:

Yeah 100 isn’t where I want to be but if there was an absolute banger of a reel at like 89$ I would give it a look.

I’ll prob look at that Sedona and the President. Thanks y’all.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Spending a lot of money on rods and reels is definitely not necessary. You can catch just as much on cheap crap as you can on expensive stuff. I think it boils down to how you like to fish. If you're finesse fishing slow on the bottom, a nice rod will let you feel tiny bites and also the rocks/grass. Plus, they're lighter and you can get better casting distance, etc. If you're throwing out a chunk of bait and chilling... Well then a $200 rod is not what you need.

I started off low quality and over the years I've been upgrading all my combos and buying specialized gear for the techniques I like to use. No regrets here, even after spending a couple thousand.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
I'm new to fishing. Tried about 3 months ago at the local lakes and wouldn't catch anything. Decided to go out today on the Snoqualmie on a whim and bagged me a nice salmon. The rain stopped right after. First fish feels good!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think my two spinning and two bait casters are bass pro shop branded sitting on various ugly sticks and each one is close to 18 years old. That is money will spent as each one cost $50-$75.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any of you fly fishing folks use a sling pack? My vest could use replacement and I don’t like having too much poo poo on my chest.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Spent a lil time camping and fishing this weekend. Even without a fire it was awesome, and I got just the perfect level of rain at night to lull me gently to sleep. Also got some fishies.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

highme posted:

Any of you fly fishing folks use a sling pack? My vest could use replacement and I don’t like having too much poo poo on my chest.

Yeah, I have the Patagonia Atom Sling which I like quite a bit. The workbench on the front is pretty great when you slide the thing around, and is helpful with rigging, adjusting weight, etc. I would take a long look at fishpond if I were buying new, though.

NB: I wouldn't keep too much crap in it though. You start to notice the weight pretty quickly. I basically just keep four fly boxes, tackle, and some necessities in it. Plus some water and a jacket if I'm straying far from my vehicle.

Fishing report: Literally every single person in Colorado except for Dees (maybe; btw that brookie is gorgeous.) was floating the Colorado. Hooked a half a dozen or so on a #18 rainbow warrior trailed off a terrestrial while wading. Lost a couple; landed most. Good times. I should take more pictures of fish. Oh, and most importantly: <clapping hands>don't. pee. in. the. river.</clapping hands

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 21, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

That's kinda my problem with fly fishing here, I dig it but loving everyone is doing it. Every now and then I can find some peaceful empty spot but most of the time I wind up in the river with tons of other fly people and it's just a mess.

We don't have the greatest lake fishing in CO either but at least it's pretty chill as far as number of people doing it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

DeesGrandpa posted:

That's kinda my problem with fly fishing here, I dig it but loving everyone is doing it. Every now and then I can find some peaceful empty spot but most of the time I wind up in the river with tons of other fly people and it's just a mess.

We don't have the greatest lake fishing in CO either but at least it's pretty chill as far as number of people doing it.

Yeah, I’ve been spending a lot of time on Google Maps lately. I think you also have to be willing to explore when you’re out fishing. “What’s down this county road?” or “What’s next to this empty pull-out?” will find you a lot of spots with less traffic than the prominently displayed “PARK HERE TO FISH” signs.

Also backcountry lakes are wonderful for dry fly fishing.

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
Fishing with a ton of people around is dumb. I only ran into 2 other fisherhumans in 7 days of hiking. fished 5 lakes i think. That said, i swooped in and caught 5 trout on the only lake that other people were fishing while they stood there stupefied that my ripped apart garbage fly was slaying all the fish. Try fishing where it looks more than 2 feet deep dumbass. All rainbows first few lakes. All brook trout last few.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, I have the Patagonia Atom Sling which I like quite a bit. The workbench on the front is pretty great when you slide the thing around, and is helpful with rigging, adjusting weight, etc. I would take a long look at fishpond if I were buying new, though.

I also have this pack, and like it quite a bit. Helps that it was on sale.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, I’ve been spending a lot of time on Google Maps lately. I think you also have to be willing to explore when you’re out fishing. “What’s down this county road?” or “What’s next to this empty pull-out?” will find you a lot of spots with less traffic than the prominently displayed “PARK HERE TO FISH” signs.

Also backcountry lakes are wonderful for dry fly fishing.

It sucks when you live in an area that is 90% private property and doing just that has gotten me more than a few "discussions" with pissy rich people. It's a good thing I look like someone's mom or I'd probably be really familiar with the police.
Having a pretty famous trout area nearby helps but god drat has everyone in the world taken up fishing.
I envy you guys out west sometimes!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

It sucks when you live in an area that is 90% private property and doing just that has gotten me more than a few "discussions" with pissy rich people. It's a good thing I look like someone's mom or I'd probably be really familiar with the police.
Having a pretty famous trout area nearby helps but god drat has everyone in the world taken up fishing.
I envy you guys out west sometimes!

When I first started fishing (Ontario) I made really sure to understand the laws with regard to property ownership. Here, navigable waters are publicly owned and can't be bought or sold. However, the land surrounding them can and thus the concept of "private lake" exists, but only from a controlled access point of view. As long as you're standing in the water (and I believe 1 or 2 meters from the bank?), you're on public property and cannot be removed.

I know this well because I've had this conversation with quite a few mennonite farmers who want to eject me from "their" land, but I always make sure to emphasize that I waded here and will wade out! They're always mad that I'm fishing their bass and trout, but thankfully I've never been drawn down with a firearm about it!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Woohoo, fishing thread! It's been awhile since I've posted, so here's my summer of 2020 photo update.

Right now, smallies are snapping on Mille Lacs! Our biggest was 20.5", but I'm hoping to get back up there this week and try to get a real beast. They get 22"+ on Mille Lacs!

Had some good days on the St. Croix this summer pulling leadcore for walleye/sauger, but those pictures are boring, so here's a bigmouth buffalo that hit a size 5 flicker shad!

Also, I bought a boat last year, not sure if I posted that. It's a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850 and it's absolutely a perfect family boat. Huge cockpit, deep V handles big water well, and is just super solid all around.

The only downside to the boat is the 15 year old trailer was showing it's age, had a lot of issues and rust was bad. Miraculously, someone was selling the exact same trailer a few towns over that was basically brand new. So I bought the new trailer for $1200, and sold my old one for $850, UPGRADDDDDEEEEE. A fantastic stroke of luck because brand new boat trailers are not cheap for heavy 18.5' boats.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
That's awesome, and some huge smallmouth. You've got some amazing fishing up there, and some monster muskie and pike.

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Western MD fly fishing.

I do several different types of fishing: Spin fishing for whatever, but heavily target smallmouth bass in the Potomac. However, since I live in fly fishing country, I now fly fish. My only rod is a 5 wt 7.5' rod I bought off of a friend of a friend to get me started. This generally suits me fine for when I fish small streams for heavy cover. However, most people go with a longer rod.

Should I abandon the 5 wt 7.5' in favor of a rod that is longer? Or should I keep this smaller rod, and get a 3 wt 9' rod so I've got different weight rods? Longer rod will let me do some nymphing and cover distance in wider streams.

I'm at a bit of an impasse about where to go with either keeping the smaller rod and just getting a longer 5wt (or a 3wt) and just swapping out reels.

Could use the insight if anyone has it. I have a spare reel downstairs too. The current reel I have on my 5 wt 7.5' is a Battenkill BBS III.

Unrelated, I am thinking about getting a bass rod to throw bigger flies. I assume a 7wt would be best.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

When I first started fishing (Ontario) I made really sure to understand the laws with regard to property ownership. Here, navigable waters are publicly owned and can't be bought or sold. However, the land surrounding them can and thus the concept of "private lake" exists, but only from a controlled access point of view. As long as you're standing in the water (and I believe 1 or 2 meters from the bank?), you're on public property and cannot be removed.

I know this well because I've had this conversation with quite a few mennonite farmers who want to eject me from "their" land, but I always make sure to emphasize that I waded here and will wade out! They're always mad that I'm fishing their bass and trout, but thankfully I've never been drawn down with a firearm about it!

This has been really contentious in Michigan lately. Mostly on beaches, but it's raising questions as to river access too. There's a "private beach" on the southern part of Lake Michigan that is in a really popular beach walking area. The owners didn't like people walking on the beach so they first put in private security, and later chain link security fences that extended into the lake. Eventually it entered the courts and it was defined that "The Michigan Supreme Court determined that the public has a right to walk along the shores of the Great Lakes, even on privately-owned land. Lakefront property owners may own the land down to the water’s edge, but the public trust doctrine nevertheless allows the public to walk on the land between the water’s edge and the “ordinary high water mark,” the place on the shore up to which the presence and action of the water is so continuous as to leave a distinct mark."

There was dissent on what is the water mark, is it literally wet sand? Or is it where the highest point of water is? What about a river, spring flood high point?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have an addiction to cheap walmart hard baits. That being said I'm going to be in southern New Mexico, drat near the Gila National Forest in November, up in the mountains. Anyone know what to fish for there so I can begin gearing up?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Planet X posted:

That's awesome, and some huge smallmouth. You've got some amazing fishing up there, and some monster muskie and pike.

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Western MD fly fishing.

I do several different types of fishing: Spin fishing for whatever, but heavily target smallmouth bass in the Potomac. However, since I live in fly fishing country, I now fly fish. My only rod is a 5 wt 7.5' rod I bought off of a friend of a friend to get me started. This generally suits me fine for when I fish small streams for heavy cover. However, most people go with a longer rod.

Should I abandon the 5 wt 7.5' in favor of a rod that is longer? Or should I keep this smaller rod, and get a 3 wt 9' rod so I've got different weight rods? Longer rod will let me do some nymphing and cover distance in wider streams.

I'm at a bit of an impasse about where to go with either keeping the smaller rod and just getting a longer 5wt (or a 3wt) and just swapping out reels.

Could use the insight if anyone has it. I have a spare reel downstairs too. The current reel I have on my 5 wt 7.5' is a Battenkill BBS III.

Unrelated, I am thinking about getting a bass rod to throw bigger flies. I assume a 7wt would be best.

Is this mostly going to be a trout rig? If so, how big are the fish you’re expecting to catch, on average? And would you rather do nymphing, throw streamers, or delicately land dries from 70’ away?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hello fellow MN fisher! Nice looking smallies and buffalo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yooper posted:

This has been really contentious in Michigan lately. Mostly on beaches, but it's raising questions as to river access too. There's a "private beach" on the southern part of Lake Michigan that is in a really popular beach walking area. The owners didn't like people walking on the beach so they first put in private security, and later chain link security fences that extended into the lake. Eventually it entered the courts and it was defined that "The Michigan Supreme Court determined that the public has a right to walk along the shores of the Great Lakes, even on privately-owned land. Lakefront property owners may own the land down to the water’s edge, but the public trust doctrine nevertheless allows the public to walk on the land between the water’s edge and the “ordinary high water mark,” the place on the shore up to which the presence and action of the water is so continuous as to leave a distinct mark."

There was dissent on what is the water mark, is it literally wet sand? Or is it where the highest point of water is? What about a river, spring flood high point?

EPA and most state water resource management agencies go with the point to which the body of water floods as part of normal seasonal floods. Whether or not people have access to the ground inside that normal high water mark, or the bank adjacent to it, is usually decided by the state or municipalities, even though in a lot of cases the federal government says all navigable waters are public water. And then you have to dig into what constitutes a navigable water. In Arkansas, for example, I think there is an easement outside the normal high water mark for public access, and everything inside that is public no matter who owns the adjacent land. By contrast, in Colorado, the landowner owns the ground up to the water and under it too. So while you can boat anywhere on a public river like the Yampa, if you set foot out of that boat and touch the bottom of the channel, you are trespassing. Landowners will literally sit by the bank and watch you so that they can threaten you with firearms if you step out of a boat. Even if your boat drags bottom, they'll start tuning up.

Water law is a hosed up thing and sometimes I wish the federal government would just say "No, gently caress you, landowner, you don't own anything inside the normal high water mark of a seasonally navigable body of water."