Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When I first started vivecraft I made a new world and started playing normally, and by the end of first day I had a nice wooden hut going, not large but big enough to house all the stuff you need and have a nice stairwell to the bottom of the map where you can mine diamonds at during the night.

If you're a relative minecraft newbie, VR from 0 might not be the best idea, but for me it works great. Way more fun than in flatmode anyway. And building poo poo in VR is just so much more fun. Especially tall poo poo where you're working at height. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone else wish NeosVR was more user-friendly?

The UX hasn't changed for the better in 6 months if not more. Every single time I give it a whirl I end up having to have the actual game devs guide me along the way in virtual person (which is p. cool tbh) for the most simple things like calibrating full body, or figuring out how to navigate the overcrowded floating hand-blob system.

On each occasion I've exclaimed how poo poo the UX is for beginners like myself, but it's as bad as ever. You kind if have to compare it to vrchat in person to see what I mean.

On the other hand, these devs have also shown me some of the most amazingly responsive and 1:1 IK/physics stuff I have ever seen in a social VR game. Hell, one developer pulled apart a working calculator he coded and modeled inside the game, and you could see all the logic code run across the board dynamically - truly amazing.

My main wow was however when I entered a desolate zero G space station world, and was able to grab onto - and push off of others with superbly simulated newtonian physics. There was zero lag or rubber banding, legit boneworks levels of collision meshage between us players in the map.

Right now NeosVR is the DIY furry coder nerd mecca (most of the devs are furries like me) , and I can't wait until it's more accessible to the less gifted like myself... Because no other social VR game can beat their game engine knowhow by a longshot.

TL;DR: Give NeosVR a shot and complain to the devs about the poor UX for newbies when they eventually end up having to guide you on how to play. It's really loving impressive.

This is whats kept me away from it. VRchat avatar uploading and poo poo is already borderline psycho and extra steps for FBT junk is going to drive me nuts.

It looks so cool though!

RFC2324 posted:

If the furry thing is a turn off, how appealing is this place?

Give into it. Its fun. Having a flickering glowing tail and ears is great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

This is whats kept me away from it. VRchat avatar uploading and poo poo is already borderline psycho and extra steps for FBT junk is going to drive me nuts.

It looks so cool though!

VRChat avatar uploading is actually pretty sane, the trick is you need to learn a little Unity to do anything really clever with it because there's a lot of powerful toys available now with Avatar 3.0.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRChat avatar uploading is actually pretty sane, the trick is you need to learn a little Unity to do anything really clever with it because there's a lot of powerful toys available now with Avatar 3.0.

As a new user? Its not sane imo.

I guess if you're just grabbing some random poo poo off a website, its less annoying but even then theres an entire setup process thats frankly daunting unless you're just determined as gently caress.

My first exp was with decent directions, a custom avatar ready to basically copy pasta into unity and "hit the button" to upload. Yeah, No, I installed the unity stuff, got the vrchat thing going, went to upload, had to figure out how to add that layer or w/e its called, then there was something else that wasn't "working" initially and yeah, it was a nightmare and thankfully I have a group of people to bug the poo poo out of but if I didn't? Oof.

I just can't imagine going it alone without the resources I have available.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has there been a behind the scenes on this picture? How in the hell did anyone see this and think yes this is a good picture lmao

Unless TIME did it on purpose because they thought it was a dumbfuck fad and they wanted to belittle it? thats the only reasonable explanation.
Yes, there is, and it's amazing!

The photographer is the same guy who took those photos:

quote:

Most magazines want to have a good relationship, in general, with the people that they’re featuring, and, you know, obviously this picture doesn’t… it’s not a flattering picture. It’s satirical, it looks like you’re lampooning him. I mean, he’s hanging himself, but it certainly looks like a caricature in a way. But yeah, most magazines want… if you look at pictures in magazines, the pictures of subjects are flattering. Rarely do you have pictures that are unflattering of someone who is important, right?

There was this other time when I was photographing this kid who invented one of the virtual reality platforms, he was just this genius kid. He sold it to Facebook, and Facebook bought it for like a billion dollars or something…. His name is Palmer Luckey.
I had him jumping off one of my equipment cases. I wanted kind of this feeling of him floating. I had got this painted backdrop which I used—playing with the idea of virtual reality a little bit. But he kind of looked ridiculous in a way.

Yeah, he’s a weird guy. Yes, he is. But anyway, the picture … he looks ridiculous, and so there were all these memes of him that spun out of this photograph of him.
Here's the article: https://popula.com/2019/01/16/the-man-who-photographed-paul-ryan-pumping-iron/
How it ended up on the actual cover I don't know, maybe it was the best they got out of Palmer.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zet posted:

Looks like my Index is about to be delivered before the Lighthouses. Is there any setup I can do without the latter?

You can plug it in but it is completely useless until you have you lighthouses. Steam VR setup is plug in and then run through room setup which you can't do.
Just leave it in the box until the lighthouses come.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Then again, it's hard to convey what VR is about in a normal photo shoot session.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Considering it takes literally forever to actually be able to craft medicine in TWD: S&S, and medicine pickups are in short supply, sometimes I'm walking around with >50% max health for 45 minutes straight before finding more. So, making the character hack up a lung via the most visceral, sickly sound effects, queued up to the highest volume possible every 30 seconds might be the single most obnoxious things I have ever experienced in a game. Jesus Christ. Who thought this was a good idea?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I recommend people check out the new No Mans Sky update. The terrain and flora/fauna updates are no joke!

I started a new game in hopes that it would plop me on a new planet, and it did. The new terrain model can get pretty insane! I was essentially in a crater with nearly sheer cliffs all around me that were I’d guess a thousand feet tall if I had to take an inaccurate VR to real life guess.

Once I got out of there the planet itself had huge elevation changes everywhere, combined with enormous underground cave systems that were way bigger and branchier than they ever have been.

The flora/fauna/mineral situation is also cranked to 11. My planet was filled with towering plants and crystals and there was just a lot of it everywhere. Felt very much like waking up in a mountainous forest.

I was able to traverse the cave system by day when the surface temps were near 200 degrees and come out at night when the temps dropped.

All in all a very cool experience and I would genuinely argue is the closest this game has gotten yet to those pre-release videos and the experience is pretty wild in VR. Time will tell if I just got lucky on my planet but in general you tend to start out on pretty middle of the road planets so I’d bet they get crazier than what I saw

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 24, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fired up NMS last night, and I guess I had a fundamental misunderstanding of what the game is. I'm with that earlier poster, sometimes a game/genre just isn't for you. I've bounced off every survival/crafting game I've tried so far. Screenshots look pretty cool though :shrug:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

my problem with nms is that it feels like all of the game's content is filler. there's no "main" gameplay loop though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The main gameplay loop is landing on a planet and going “holy poo poo :catdrugs:” and then flying across the galaxy to land on another planet and go “holy poo poo :catdrugs:”. All the while shooting rocks and plants and sometimes big fuckoff robots to fuel your continued :catdrugs: trips

For those of us who have been going “holy poo poo :catdrugs:” since release day this update makes the planets much closer to what they should have been from the start.

Ultimately it’s fine if you don’t like NMS, it’s not for everybody, but if you do like it, this update is a big refresh of a lot of things.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Does the new update for NMS run any better? I always get massive hitching in that game for some reason.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I couldn't stand NMS in any way on flatscreen, but the VR was fun just for big spaces to be in and poke around, even if the gameplay loop didn't hook me much and the interfaces were no fun to deal with ever. Making the terrain bigger and more scaled up and stuff is right up my alley. Definitely gonna have to get back in it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Finding a cool floating island and hollowing it out and making a sweet cave base is awesome. I love NMS, can't wait to play this.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Finding a cool floating island and hollowing it out and making a sweet cave base is awesome. I love NMS, can't wait to play this.

I was always kind of afraid to try making a big base, is building pretty reliable these days? That sounds extremely rad and I wanna do the same.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Is there a PSVR successor planned yet?
I haven't connected my PS4 in a year, but should go back and finish astrobot at least just to remind me how good the Quest looks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JHVH-1 posted:

Is there a PSVR successor planned yet?
I haven't connected my PS4 in a year, but should go back and finish astrobot at least just to remind me how good the Quest looks.

Sony's been real quiet on the specifics, but they have confirmed that PSVR2 exists but it just won't be at launch for PS5. There's also been several patents floating around suggesting they have something cooking that's looking fairly feature-complete with Index-like finger-tracking controllers.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I played a bit of nms recentlyish (whenever it was added to gamepass) and found it incredibly shallow and boring in the same way it was famously ridiculed at launch. And this is well after hearing about how much better it had become with patches and stuff. Just boring as hell.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

I played a bit of nms recentlyish (whenever it was added to gamepass) and found it incredibly shallow and boring in the same way it was famously ridiculed at launch. And this is well after hearing about how much better it had become with patches and stuff. Just boring as hell.

I'm of the same opinion. I guess it was never meant to be my type of game. I very much prefer something like Subnautica or Outer Wilds. Or even vanilla Minecraft had a better loop.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really like NMS but I can't help but feel their VR UI just does not work and needs an entire re-do. Everything feels clunky and awkward to use.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Now imagine what it was like at launch, that this is the much better version.

I am personally fond of NMS, but it has taken it a long time to become a game that's entertaining to even a small subset of people.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

rage-saq posted:

You can plug it in but it is completely useless until you have you lighthouses. Steam VR setup is plug in and then run through room setup which you can't do.
Just leave it in the box until the lighthouses come.

Yeah, I opened the box, stared at it and closed it back up. Lighthouses are supposed to come in today but fedex hasn't updated the tracking for a week. I can wait.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a thread I’d you’d like to see what everyone is doing in/with NMS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864065

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've only played NMS in VR and the UI is really bad, enough to make me bounce from it. I wonder if it works better in flat and it was just a bad conversion.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Zaphod42 posted:

If they like, got rid of the booster entirely but just made your walk speed faster I think that'd go a long long way. Having to use it all the time to go from "slow" to "less slow" is just kinda frustrating. Or just go back to the old days where you could boost+jump to vault yourself long distances, that was fun.

Its also especially bad though since I lost my save and had to start at the beginning and there is a lot of "go here", "come back, craft this, now go here", and I'm on a freezing planet and my survival gear is constantly complaining. Its not difficult its just time consuming and annoying having to navigate all these crafting menus (hopefully those got better today)

If you're already established with a nice ship and suit and tools from playing in 2D and then hop in VR its probably easier.

Hey just get a walk faster/run faster/infinite stamina/infinite booster pack fuel mod. If that's your only complaint.

Also I would not say NMS is a mile long and an inch deep. That was launch, even a year after launch. Now? There's so much stuff it's kind of ridiculous. I've been spending my entire time with the game recently just building a base on top of a monolithic plateau overlooking a lush green planet that has deep scars that run all along it - flying down those scars feels excellent in VR and driving down them feels good too. Trench run vibes

Riding an animal, especially a long neck dino, is pretty rad in VR.

The multiplayer is straight up multiplayer. Grab a mission with a rando and teleport to another system together to complete a weekly. Visit one of the dev-highlighted bases from the community space station. Invite your flat screen homie to play with you and build bases close to each other. Do a "raid", missions that were added recently where you find derelict freighters adrift and make your way through them for fun and profit and maybe some spooks

I still haven't tried the mechs or the underwater vehicles. Considering how nice the starship interiors are I'm looking forward to them. And I have to say, the underwater poo poo is bonkers. I hadn't been underwater since the big ocean update and it's beautiful to land on an ocean planet with a few scarily lonely islands and dive beneath the surface to see a choral dream/nightmare.

If you don't think you can "personalize" your base enough or as much as say, Minecraft, I would say check out some of the highlighted player bases for inspo. Some of them are nutty. I am looking forward to someone making Dark Vader's house now that we have loving volcanoes 😎

It sucks that they don't let you use the thumbstick for flight controls, that's a real womp. But I can actually move around really well with the fake hotas, especially if I'm in a fighter.

also this post wasn't 100% a reply to you but the general (and tame tbh) negative NMS vibe. I really enjoy playing it for a half hour here or there on steam link on the couch, and then when it's VR time I get to walk around my base and see the changes in person.

Rad game would recommend, if you have one or two issues with it then there is probably a mod that addresses your problems

anyway

Is there a bounty for jailbreaking the Quest somewhere I can fund or something?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Penpal posted:

:same:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Penpal posted:

I think that'll only happen if they block sideloading.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

...which I think it's likely is going to happen. It's why they have started asking for data/confirmation systems for the developer mode. So people cannot just open a new dev account. Once the new store system is implemented, they will start restricting it more.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Oh yeah, I mean not having to use Facebook whatsoever, in any capacity, at all. Turning it on and getting through the setup is fine, I have an Oculus account already that is not linked to my Facebook. But I don't want to jump through these hoops like getting a dev account and uploading my driver's license and my unique foreskin fingerprint

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Penpal posted:

Oh yeah, I mean not having to use Facebook whatsoever, in any capacity, at all. Turning it on and getting through the setup is fine, I have an Oculus account already that is not linked to my Facebook. But I don't want to jump through these hoops like getting a dev account and uploading my driver's license and my unique foreskin fingerprint

Got bad news about the future of the internet

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I mean, I have some hope? Aren't people still jailbreaking iPhones after Apple has added poo poo to their silicon to prevent that? I could be wrong. I can't imagine an android device managed by facebook is as locked down as a bespoke top to bottom software/hardware device from apple. I'll be fine, it would just be nice to having something higher resolution than my vive.

Vive pros are still like, 700 dollars.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inacio posted:

my problem with nms is that it feels like all of the game's content is filler. there's no "main" gameplay loop though

Yep. That's the problem with "procedural everything!"

They've tried adding some scripted quests to help things but its still extremely minimal

Pierson posted:

I really like NMS but I can't help but feel their VR UI just does not work and needs an entire re-do. Everything feels clunky and awkward to use.

Yeah that's my big issue, crafting is a huge pain

Its weird because Vivecraft isn't THAT different, but I find their UI much more comfortable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Penpal posted:

Hey just get a walk faster/run faster/infinite stamina/infinite booster pack fuel mod. If that's your only complaint.

Yes, which goes back to my complaint that NMS isn't fun to start in VR, you need to already have a save with many upgrades before you swap to VR. Which is bad design. So no, that's not the only issue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isn't VR a tacked on feature after the fact?

I'd call it on par with most games that were designed for flat the had VR patched in, which is fine as long as you don't have to interact with a menu.

Which is can be a big deal in a game where you spend a ton of time in a menu

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm more in the middle than most people on NMS. Their continued support of the game has been very cool and overall I've had fun with it even though I think I have played it >20 hours over the years.

I think the reason that it can feel kind of dull isn't due to a lack of structure as much as it's not as much of a hotbed for emergent gameplay as a lot of survival games are. Not that it totally lacks it, but when I have had fun in those style of games it's because some situation snowballed out of control and I barely got out by the skin of my teeth. NMS is just way more chill and mostly looking around at stuff and gathering resources. There's definitely moments where the environment can gently caress you over, but for the most part the biggest adversity feels like it comes from grinding for supplies which can get pretty boring.

Either way I'm a bit tempted by the update/sale since the last time I played was on PSVR and it doesnt run very good on Playstation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

I mean, I have some hope? Aren't people still jailbreaking iPhones after Apple has added poo poo to their silicon to prevent that? I could be wrong. I can't imagine an android device managed by facebook is as locked down as a bespoke top to bottom software/hardware device from apple. I'll be fine, it would just be nice to having something higher resolution than my vive.

Vive pros are still like, 700 dollars.

Honestly just get a Vive Pro if you can eat the cost; It's a good headset with a great resolution and the best IPD range, and they're getting harder to find as HTC tries to push people onto the Cosmos.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I had a ton of fun building a big base in NMS, but once I got tired of that the rest of it was kind of meh, aside from a few multiplayer shenanigans and exploring random other peoples bases. I’m looking forward to popping in for another couple of hours to explore the new stuff then shelving it till the next patch. Definitely worth the $30 I paid for it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, which goes back to my complaint that NMS isn't fun to start in VR, you need to already have a save with many upgrades before you swap to VR. Which is bad design. So no, that's not the only issue.

I don't know man. Every single survival game I've tried is sort of impenetrable at the start. Even getting back into Minecraft recently I had to look some stuff up outside of the game and that's after hundreds if not thousands of hours almost a decade ago. The VR interface adds another layer to the onion for absolute certain, but I find the first couple of hours of Terraria, NMS, Subnautica, The Long Dark, Minecraft or factorio are always a drag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Video comparison with Link. He got a preview dev version of the firmware from Oculus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENW6hwxIY0M