Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why do so many companies try to force multimedia franchises while halfassing the actually-makes-games part?

Games are hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
moms are tough

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Games are hard

Might be easier if they didn't blow their budget on Anime adaptions and fantasy novels.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Why do so many companies try to force multimedia franchises while halfassing the actually-makes-games part?
In a franchise, the goal is largely to make you buy a bunch of stuff you would not otherwise have bought because it wouldn't have met your standards in some way. So normally, the way those things are structured, there's one or more entry points which are the good ones, and then there's all the stuff they expect you to buy without asking questions first because you liked the entry point, so you can halfass that. Videogames are a likely choice because they are, indeed, hard to make.

Might be easier if they didn't blow their budget on Anime adaptions and fantasy novels.

Anime adaptations are pretty cheap to make and super predictable budget-wise, which is why they're often entry points. Novels are couple ranks further down, even cheaper to make.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 24, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Man I just do not get the love for AI Solenium Files. Maybe it’s just because I don’t watch anime but god that game was so stupid. The characters were absurd, and not in the funny Disco Elysium kind of way. Just in the obnoxious cartoon way.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://www.pcgamer.com/yes-you-can-have-sex-in-baldurs-gate-3/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the sex scenes are fully narrated like they were in D:OS2.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For anyone looking for some catharsis today I highly recommend Mafia 3's "Faster, Baby" DLC which is now free with the base game I believe. Wage a war against racist cops and hear their exasperated cries as everything gets destroyed around them :black101:

edit: loving hell careening around town blowing up the corrupt sheriff's re-election fair while Aretha Franklin's "Respect" plays on the radio is quite something :allears:

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 24, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

quote:

Larian also confirmed that, yes, you can have sex in the game—a lot of sex, if the storyboard that appears briefly in the video is anything to go by.

I assume this is the same as the media hype over all the sex mocap done for The Witcher 3.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes sex is great and all, but can you pet the dog?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Buddy, they don't even let ME pet it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes and it's great. I really like how it's fairly grounded and restrained (at least compared to the other games in the series) and more of a straight-up murder mystery. One weird thing about those games is I really don't like it when I accidentally get a really big plot point too early, but my AI playthrough was PERFECT. I felt like I played the routes in the exact perfect order to where I was able to formulate theories about what was going on and all of the big secrets that would have cracked the game wide open didn't happen until the end.

I'm a loving sucker for murder mystery games
Pretty much the same thing happened to me and it's a big reason why I liked AI so much. A lot of mystery VNs, especially say Ace Attorney, do a bad job of telegraphing certain twists or at least making it such that the player figures stuff out way before the characters themselves so you wind up having to jump through a lot of hoops before you can finally present the thing you know and move on. With AI pretty much any time I thought "I wonder if..." the characters or plot would think the same thing, so it felt like I was truly learning and understanding stuff at the same rate as Date. Though I may have gotten a little lucky with checking the notebook and seeing that certain ages and years lined up in a suspicious way that made one of the biggest lategame twists easy to figure out in a way that didn't seem to be the case for some other people who thought it was kind of an asspull.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Infinitum posted:

Yes sex is great and all, but can you pet the dog?

Apparently Cyberpunk has cat petting. Take that Baldur's Gate.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Is this like what a newtype is?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CottonWolf posted:

Apparently Cyberpunk has cat petting. Take that Baldur's Gate.

Finally. Sick of this pro dog propaganda

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In D:OS2 you could scold dogs in the futility of existence. I don't remember any such dressing down for the cats, since they already understand that chaos is the natural way of things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna start a Twitter for "Can you make pets question their own morality"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe Japan has been keeping a pasta hot dog hidden from me and I had to find out from naked time-travelling children.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Did Square-Enix really not show new footage of the NieR remake during their stream?

:sigh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's in like 1 minute

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1309113253365198857

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there no Rivals of Aether thread?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WOY21TjOA

Releases tomorrow on Switch, plus PC version is getting upgraded

I tried it out and I really like the way it controls, honestly I think I like it more than Smash as much as that sounds like straight heresy

from 2 pages ago but thank you for volunteering!!!!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oops! Thanks for the heads up!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"Dammit, weiss, you dumbass"

-immortal words for real gamers

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Infinitum posted:

Gonna start a Twitter for "Can you make pets question their own morality"

pets are not protected by gdpr

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looking forward to Nier sequel, Faer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier, faer, Where ever you are..

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Speaking of Nier, to directly quote from the Gunpla thread:

Veotax posted:

Thought this might be of interest to the thread, Square is doing a model kit of a Flight Unit & 2B from Nier Automata.

Looks like Square is making it themselves, so no idea what the build quality will be like. No idea if they've done model kits before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know Gestlat only existed to appease me, the western idiot, but Im not buying the Nier remake because I have no interest in that telling of the story when the version I liked already existed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im getting it cause i know they are gonna do stuff to gently caress with me

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hell, knowing Yoko Taro the fact that this is a remake will become a critical plot point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im happy more people will get to play nier its much more interesting than the also excellent sequel. the characters have superb chemistry that makes them all insanely lovable and the music is next level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Hell, knowing Yoko Taro the fact that this is a remake will become a critical plot point.

I dunno, that might be almost too expected at this point. Square Enix just did one of those remakes that's meta-aware of being a remake, after all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I dunno, that might be almost too expected at this point. Square Enix just did one of those remakes that's meta-aware of being a remake, after all.

They have the VA's for 2b/9s in the remake tho. Something weird is going on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can someone explain what are all the niers coming out

replicant? reincarnation?? and there's a remake of the original???

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stealth sequel/sidequel. It's all some sort of Yorha simulation or some poo poo like in MGS2. I don't know.

Yoko's not actually directing is he? Do we know what he's working on at the moment?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

They have the VA's for 2b/9s in the remake tho. Something weird is going on

Oh drat, okay then

Any other series I'd say "oh maybe they're cameos or bonus boss battles" but this is Nier so :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Can someone explain what are all the niers coming out

replicant? reincarnation?? and there's a remake of the original???

Replicant is nier 1 remake but with the japan-only protag. The version we got in west 10 years ago was called gestalt with a much gruffer dad protag while japan got a young brother type guy also and could chose like pokemon red/blue which to buy. Otherwise same game

Reincarnation is one of their many side media projects for the series. Just a phone game.

Thats all the games they announced

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Oh drat, okay then

Any other series I'd say "oh maybe they're cameos or bonus boss battles" but this is Nier so :v:

Any other series you'd say "oh they probably found themselves short some recordings and those actors weren't busy"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't play the first NieR but I've seen gameplay for our version, Gestalt, over the years and that remake footage looks so much more like a modern game that I wasn't even reminded what Gestalt's gameplay looked like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Question, there is a humble better futures bundle or whatever, it has Vanquish for PC for 4 bucks. Is Vanquish good on PC?