Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

The graph of tested cases says 763 for July 29th. Using the critical care cases as proportional to the overall number of cases, we do seem to be following the lower line for summer lockdown (the line showing 15k cases for late July was for a partial lockdown model where schools and universities remained fully open until the summer holidays).

It's interesting even in Italy where round 2 began over three weeks ago there doesn't seem to have been a second spike in deaths, but I'd rather not wait around and find out.

Yeah it's my bad, I realised after posting that I'd misread the orange line as infections (the label is right next to it!) and deleted the post accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Centre left' is also people who agree things should be better and we should be less poo poo to vulnerable people, but we can't right now because reasons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I'm pretty partial to Communist Thoughts' theory that he's an MI5 asset whose job is to keep the country from destabilising at any cost (which generally means actively propping up the government)

What could possibly give you that impression?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

Yeah it's my bad, I realised after posting that I'd misread the orange line as infections (the label is right next to it!) and deleted the post accordingly.
I've edited my post.

It is curious (in that "things that might kill you" sense of curious) that there's been no second death peak in Italy though.

It's a good thing, I'm in no way lusting for Italian death (except those ones that keep coming out of the woodwork to defend Mussolini) just to prove the numbers or any poo poo, but it does make me wonder why and what that bodes here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1309111907798913025

TWeetman getting a mainstream article and then immediately loving it into the bin by saying calling her a honkey is antisemitic.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

TWeetman getting a mainstream article and then immediately loving it into the bin by saying calling her a honkey is antisemitic.

She is the person who blocked me for saying Wances Freetman.

I thought someone saying Wonathan Jalker was very funny because it wound Wonathan up, and it turns out, this does seem to annoy many bad blue ticks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So, passengers in chauffeur driven cars exempt from face-covering regulations. Is that coz they need the masks to cover their arses?

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/chauffeur-driven-cars-exempt-from-covid19-rules-93846

quote:

Chauffeur-driven cars will be exempt from new laws forcing passengers to wear masks in taxis to slow the spread of coronavirus, Downing Street has said.

Boris Johnson announced that passengers in licensed vehicles would have to wear coverings under new restrictions in England aimed at preventing a resurgence of Covid-19.

But No 10 said the measure would not include passengers in chauffeur-driven cars, though the driver’s employer would have to ensure they could work safely.

etc

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
gently caress, new coronavirus cases per day are back to where they were in the peak of the first wave back in April. There's gonna be a bloodbath in a fortnight's time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just layers upon layers of poo poo.

Like I don't even know where to start with that.

Irving Finkel could study that tweet for a week and find untold histories in its middens.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So, passengers in chauffeur driven cars exempt from face-covering regulations. Is that coz they need the masks to cover their arses?

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/chauffeur-driven-cars-exempt-from-covid19-rules-93846
The ordinary salt-of-the-earth Midlands working man does not deserve to be inconvenienced when he's being chauffeured to his grouse shoot.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gort posted:

gently caress, new coronavirus cases per day are back to where they were in the peak of the first wave back in April. There's gonna be a bloodbath in a fortnight's time.
Most of the right wingers are quoting the 'deaths from' stat instead, since it's lower than in April and lower than the US.

The cases / deaths ratio being lower than in April is apparently a sign that the government's measures are working, and not at all that hospitals are now used to Covid care, and also a lot of the most vulnerable are either dead or isolating because of the amount of people they know who are dead.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Thing is she has stumbled upon something that is totally beyond her comprehension even though she just tweeted it out, that for the longest time the press used antisemitism as a soft means of saying antiwhite. Not siding with Jewish people per say but reminding you that the person being accused is siding with non-whites.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How are the oiks meant to see you and get jealous if they can't tell who it is?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol the Tweetman protected her account.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thing is she has stumbled upon something that is totally beyond her comprehension even though she just tweeted it out, that for the longest time the press used antisemitism as a soft means of saying antiwhite. Not siding with Jewish people per say but reminding you that the person being accused is siding with non-whites.
I also remember 2019 :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

She is the person who blocked me for saying Wances Freetman.

I thought someone saying Wonathan Jalker was very funny because it wound Wonathan up, and it turns out, this does seem to annoy many bad blue ticks.

Gideo Vames

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Gideo Vames

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Convex posted:

Gideo Vames

Hah, this kind of thing is great. I have no idea why spoonerising names makes me giggle so much but heck, it is nice to have some simple things :)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Hah, this kind of thing is great. I have no idea why spoonerising names makes me giggle so much but heck, it is nice to have some simple things :)

thats why we let you post here ;)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A sparrowhawk is currently devouring a pigeon in my back yard. For some reason it makes me think of post-Brexit UK and the US trade deal to come.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VideoGames posted:

Then Friar Tuck says "This game is stupid, I'm not playing."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

VideoGames posted:

Wow, with this attitude you'll never got a blue check mark!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Wow, with this attitude you'll never got a blue check mark!

I like my pink one thanks!!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
loving lmao. How is she a real person?

https://twitter.com/armed_giraffe/status/1309124682063413248?s=19

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gort posted:

Hospital admissions are rising but are still about June levels, and less than 1/10th of the daily peak on the 1st April. Remember that we're doing a lot more testing now (I couldn't get a test in March when I had multiple symptoms including a delirious fever, my housemate just got a test because he had a bit of a cough)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like there's a word for when white people go nuts over not being included in something for minorities. I'm not being facetious, my brain is skipping over the word, and the concept occurs so often I feel like there must be a name for that specific thing.

Just saw Failbetter games are offering a trainee writing position. Got all excited, then noticed it was for black candidates only. Then immediately thought 'fair enough, good that more opportunities are opening up' and continued with my day.

This is the tweet in case any black goons are interested:

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1309085140442898432?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that actually legal in the UK?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
If it's just they want to encourage more people from that group but it's open to all, it's legal.

If it's they just want black candidates, it's illegal.

Either way, good luck if some dickhead like Sargon entered, gets his CV in the bin, and sues based on that tweet.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 24, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like there's a word for when white people go nuts over not being included in something for minorities. I'm not being facetious, my brain is skipping over the word, and the concept occurs so often I feel like there must be a name for that specific thing.
White Entitlement.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Interesting, just got fact checked by Facebook.

This is the article I posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/face-masks-could-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/

This is a screenshot of the expanded notification I recieved:

This is a screenshot of what the post now looks like:

This is the clarification article it leads to:

https://healthfeedback.org/evaluati...tific-accuracy/

The thing that strikes me about this is that this kind of 'clarification' muddies the water and makes it look like masks don't help, or that the article is wrong. The dispute comes down to a the reporter comparing it to variolation and a discussion of the problems with that, but all agree that the heading's statement is entirely accurate.

Whereas most people are just going to see the 'this information could mislead people' label and assume that the headline is inaccurate.

It would not surprise me at all to find out that the fact checking site / page was linked to anti maskers doing it this way on purpose.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

For anyone who has the NHS app - it's not immediately clear if the app needs to be "open" to be working? I routinely clear down my open apps to save battery life. Does the NHS app work without this?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bustin keaton posted:

If it's just they want to encourage more people from that group but it's open to all, no.

If it's they just want black candidates, yes.

Either way, good luck if some dickhead like Sargon entered, gets his CV in the bin, and sues based on that tweet.

They clarified they're doing specifically the forbidden bit because, uhh, I guess they read the law wrong? Failbetter is pretty drat poo poo anyway what with the predatory behaviour scandals they had.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

They clarified they're doing specifically the forbidden bit because, uhh, I guess they read the law wrong? Failbetter is pretty drat poo poo anyway what with the predatory behaviour scandals they had.

Really? I thought they were pretty well regarded. That's a shame.

E: They've also cited the positive action section of the Equality Act as proof they're allowed to do this. I dunno.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 24, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

EvilHawk posted:

For anyone who has the NHS app - it's not immediately clear if the app needs to be "open" to be working? I routinely clear down my open apps to save battery life. Does the NHS app work without this?

I might be mixing up my poo poo NHS Covid apps but I think Bluetooth needs to be on and the app needs to be active.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

Really? I thought they were pretty well regarded. That's a shame.

Former colleagues accuse Alexis Kennedy of abuse, retaliation

While he did leave the company (which he founded), any company which allows this to happen and sweeps it under the rug until the person's long gone is probably not a great place to work at:

quote:

"I was in a relationship with Alexis Kennedy for nearly two years," Wood said. "He was my line manager the entire time. It was kept a secret from the whole company, including the board. During our relationship he cheated on me with people brought to company events, and who were wanting to work with the company. He broke up with me by messaging me that he'd cheated on me with a colleague (also his direct report) at the office Halloween party."

Wood said she requested Kennedy not be her direct manager any longer, even though he was still the head of the company. After that, she said his treatment of her changed.

"I was shouted at and sworn at in front of colleagues; I was given opportunities - only to have my work belittled. I was kept anxious and uncertain. I was made to feel that my only recourse was to leave the company, but that I would not be able to get work anywhere else in the industry."

e: As for the equality act bit that's what they are reading wrong, the positive discrimination is much more limited when it comes to employment and promotions, specifically:

quote:

The employer can encourage people from disadvantaged groups to apply for work, and can provide training to help equip them for the particular work, but the decision on whom to select must be made on merit alone, except in circumstances where the candidates are "as qualified as" each other and s.159 applies.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 24, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The protect.scot app doesn't need to be active but does need Bluetooth on at all time (dunno if it is the same as the English app).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

e: As for the equality act bit that's what they are reading wrong, the positive discrimination is much more limited when it comes to employment and promotions, specifically:
I'm not sure if it's different for a paid traineeship, that'd depend on how you read the provide training bit.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I might be mixing up my poo poo NHS Covid apps but I think Bluetooth needs to be on and the app needs to be active.

The app doesn't need to be active because it's using the Google/apple api so the operating system deals with the actual token exchanges.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
all the boomer snowflakes who got upset by a dance are now clutching their pearls over a necklace

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poor Ethel, thought of jewelery and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But No 10 said the measure would not include passengers in chauffeur-driven cars

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

though the driver’s employer would have to ensure they could work safely.

:bang:

The former necessarily precludes the latter. gently caress the rich.