Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the value in linkedin is mostly if you work at it a bit. having worked for a number of companies which have ex-/imploded the spread of my network is actually really good, so it is helpful for other things than getting blindly contacted by recruiters at this point.

it is not that big a task either, send out some key invites whenever you leave a place, they might come in handy in the future.

but when starting from nothing there's likely other places way better for simple job-hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Captain Foo posted:

i got my current job through indeed

hell, same

the stackshare and stack overflow boards seem to have good post quality as well, although the quantity is not there yet.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bored Online posted:

hell, same

the stackshare and stack overflow boards seem to have good post quality as well, although the quantity is not there yet.

with those I'm a bit leery since I don't have any contributions on SO

is that usually an issue

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but when starting from nothing there's likely other places way better for simple job-hunt.

if you’re totally unemployed though you’ve got time to make a linkedin, it’s not actually harmful or anything. i got my first two jobs (both good) from linkedin recruiter spam.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Private Speech posted:

is that usually an issue

I would consider this a positive indicator, were I in charge of hiring anybody

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

raminasi posted:

if you’re totally unemployed though you’ve got time to make a linkedin, it’s not actually harmful or anything. i got my first two jobs (both good) from linkedin recruiter spam.

the current interview loop I'm in came from linked in recruiter spam

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I find LinkedIn the best source, especially since it has a mechanism for recruiters to reach you. indeed has a wider variety of roles, and many smaller ones that get crowded out on LinkedIn. if you’re looking for something very specific indeed is probably better. it is also the source of a lot of recruiter spam of the “urgent need, 6 month contract in bumfuck iowa” variety.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can set it up so that recruiters can contact you on Indeed, but the signal to noise ratio is lower than on LinkedIn IME.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I just wish I could filter out companies on LinkedIn so I stop seeing pages of Amazon senior cloud fucker postings

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

was supposed to hear back last week from recruiters at Facebook and Amazon to schedule final interviews but they seem to have disappeared into the void
on the plus side i dont have to worry about any 5 hour zoom interviews for a bit

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Private Speech posted:

is that usually an issue

i found my current job through snack overflow and the (internal) recruiter posting/handling the job didn't know anything about it as a platform. for them it was just another avenue to find candidates

i think the volume of postings on there has decreased in the last couple of years, but you can filter searches by keyword/technology and set up alerts if you're looking for something specific

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i will repeat

programmers act like you are not allowed to lie in business

you are totally allowed to lie
the only thing i lie about is saying I "developed" and "built" things rather than what i actually did which was mostly improving and maintaining existing systems, which everyone regards as disgraceful

i've tried bluffing on technical skills, it doesn't work

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 25, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Destroyenator posted:

i found my current job through snack overflow and the (internal) recruiter posting/handling the job didn't know anything about it as a platform. for them it was just another avenue to find candidates

i think the volume of postings on there has decreased in the last couple of years, but you can filter searches by keyword/technology and set up alerts if you're looking for something specific

Didnt know there where job postings on stack overflow. Do a bunch of nerds yell at recruiters if their job postings where too similar to another one posted two years ago?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

the only thing i lie about is saying I "developed" and "built" things rather than what i actually did which was mostly improving and maintaining existing systems, which everyone regards as disgraceful

i've tried bluffing on technical skills, it doesn't work

i was talking about what actual business peeps say

can prolly take as given most putertouchers cant lie for poo poo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Private Speech posted:

is that usually an issue

I don't think it's an issue - I had like two really lovely contributions and no one said anything when I applied. And on the otherside I have never gone and looked at someone's profile (I don't even know of it makes it through our recruiting platform).

The quality of the posts are way higher than elsewhere

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
technical phone screen. interviewer asked me a coding question. I dug into the requirements until it was evident that the thing he wanted to do was both stupid and didn’t make sense. but then we pretended it did make sense and so I implemented it anyway. he thought my answer was “strange” because it worked correctly but not the way he expected and was far more efficient than what he had in mind.

got the email last night, they will not be bringing me back for the full interview. lol.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

How often are recruiters up front about salary?

I got referred by a friend who works at the company, instead of applying normally. In my first discussion with the recruiter they told me the salary range would be X to Y. I thought this was a great approach but after talking to some other people it seems uncommon. Is it only because I was an internal referral?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in California they have to* tell you if you ask

*they'll still try not to

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

titaniumone posted:

I got referred by a friend who works at the company, instead of applying normally. In my first discussion with the recruiter they told me the salary range would be X to Y. I thought this was a great approach but after talking to some other people it seems uncommon. Is it only because I was an internal referral?

they’re just a rare company in general. this is the opposite of a red flag btw, a green flag? if they’re open about that kind of stuff it’s a very good sign

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

titaniumone posted:

i’ve only had recruiters do it when they were worried they wouldn’t be able to afford me (they were right)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the recruiter I am currently working with gave me a salary range for the position up front and they have also been very pleasant to work with throughout the process

they did try to get a number out of me first, but when I refused they were basically “no problem, here’s the range for the position, is that ok?”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some companies have fixed ranges that they advertise. they tend to be very large, often government contractors or other non-tech industries. it usually goes along with no stock grants or other compensation outside of base salary.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Achmed Jones posted:

in California they have to* tell you if you ask

*they'll still try not to

really? citation needed

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

really? citation needed

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm

quote:

prohibiting employers, with one exception, from seeking applicants’ salary history information and requiring employers to supply pay scales upon the request of an applicant.

edit: that exception is if you were a public employee (and thus your salary is public record)

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 26, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why figgieland prime stays figgieland prime

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its why figgieland prime stays figgieland prime

The law is only 2 years old though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
general underlying pattern of pro worker dealios, including the noncompete ban which started in the 19th century

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Management posted:

really? citation needed

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+pay+scale+law

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
cool thanks

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The Fool posted:

the recruiter I am currently working with gave me a salary range for the position up front and they have also been very pleasant to work with throughout the process

they did try to get a number out of me first, but when I refused they were basically “no problem, here’s the range for the position, is that ok?”

This was how it went for me as well. I declined to give an exact number so she shared the range "plus RSUs". I'm not sure what exactly to expect for negotiation on stock if I get to that point.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if given a prospectus wtf am i looking for red flags-wise

or does it even matter

barkbell fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

if given a prospectus wtf am i looking for red flags-wise

or does it even matter

we need a bit more information. are you investing? is this a startup? working for an index?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya a job at a startup. i assume that the important thing is they are growing and it seems like a cool place to work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

barkbell posted:

ya a job at a startup. i assume that the important thing is they are growing and it seems like a cool place to work.

i mean, no, the important thing is that you are likely looking for work to get paid, so their current and future ability to pay you should top the important things list.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, no, the important thing is that you are likely looking for work to get paid, so their current and future ability to pay you should top the important things list.

Additionally, keep in mind any equity you're being given is not liquid today, and may never be. Unless the startup is acquired or IPOs, it's monopoly money.

I had an offer to work at a startup this summer. It sounded like a great project, and I was interested, but the total compensation was nowhere near where I would've wanted it to be.

After doing a lot of thinking, the conclusion I came to was that a startup would be an excellent place to quickly skill up and learn lots of different things quickly. If you're fairly junior, even if the pay isn't great, it might be worth it for the accelerated experience. This wasn't my situation so I passed.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I like working for startups but only if they meet certain conditions:

1. Can pay me close to what I would get at a more established company. I cannot stand working for big stupid companies, so I am willing to take a small pay cut to avoid them. Figure out what you need and adjust accordingly. I do not consider equity as part of this at all.

2. Have enough runway to be able to pay me at least a year. If you decide to work there, always keep an eye on this. If the runway stays consistent, that's a good sign, if it starts diminishing or they stop updating you, prepare you resume. Most new companies fail in the first three years, so if they can ride that out, it's a good sign.

3. The product / business model make sense to me as a viable strategy for making money. I have peers who are willingly working for companies where even they admit they don't know how the company makes money or how it could possibly be viable - and those peers are the ones who end up laid off without warning. It's fine if you don't understand the particulars, but the company should make sense to you as a money-generating operation. If most of the runway comes from investment and profit seems a long ways off, that's not a great sign.

4. The management seems competent in their roles. It's fine if they're not technical if they're not in a technical role (I see a lot of my peers get hung up on this), but they should be good at what they are supposed to do.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I am currently two years into my first real engineering job.
My memories trying of trying to apply to jobs out of college were full of misery and sadness. I think I might need help finding a new job so I can escape my current job.

I love my current job but I want to do less of it :(

I think I’m also going to reach out to my former life coach about this. I don’t get paid enough to feel this lovely.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Faith For Two posted:

I love my current job but I want to do less of it :(
Take time off?

How much do you get anyways?

At my first job we had 9 corp holidays and either 10 or 15 days PTO for the whole year. Sick days counted against this, so I had essentially 0 vacation.

At my current job I have 12 corp holidays, 25 days vacation, sick days are completely free and uncharged, and for every 12 hour weekend shift oncall I can take an entire workday off too

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Take time off?

How much do you get anyways?

At my first job we had 9 corp holidays and either 10 or 15 days PTO for the whole year. Sick days counted against this, so I had essentially 0 vacation.

At my current job I have 12 corp holidays, 25 days vacation, sick days are completely free and uncharged, and for every 12 hour weekend shift oncall I can take an entire workday off too

in addition to a handful of company holidays, I get 15 days of PTO. I haven’t used any PTO all year. I have been working late nights/weekends for the past 1.5-2 months Because “this time”, we are totally not going to delay our project schedule.

I don’t think that was enough to make me wanna leave. I have been working from home for the past several months but this week is the first week I have had to work back in the office. The company leadership thinks it is good for “company culture“ to have people work in an office environment instead of work from home.

The thing that makes me want to leave is that I spend my workday surrounded by people just as stressed or more stressed than me, vocally complaining about how hosed up the project schedule is. i’ve been absorbing all of that negative energy around me.

The situation has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about my work environment, and I’ll probably think about it in the back of my head unless I work somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Faith For Two posted:

in addition to a handful of company holidays, I get 15 days of PTO. I haven’t used any PTO all year. I have been working late nights/weekends for the past 1.5-2 months Because “this time”, we are totally not going to delay our project schedule.

I don’t think that was enough to make me wanna leave. I have been working from home for the past several months but this week is the first week I have had to work back in the office. The company leadership thinks it is good for “company culture“ to have people work in an office environment instead of work from home.

The thing that makes me want to leave is that I spend my workday surrounded by people just as stressed or more stressed than me, vocally complaining about how hosed up the project schedule is. i’ve been absorbing all of that negative energy around me.

The situation has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about my work environment, and I’ll probably think about it in the back of my head unless I work somewhere else.

Sounds like your company has an underhiring problem - consistently having to work nights and weekends is a strong sign that management isn't staffing their projects well enough. From the sound of things it's absolutely endemic to the company and unlikely to change.

The best time to start interviewing is when you still have a job. Don't wait until you're too burnt out and desperate to go on to start applying - start flinging 3 resumes a day now. And make no mistake - no matter how much you like a job, if you're doing it 10 hours a day with no days off, you will burn out.