Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
PILATE: Well, I think he’s afraid to come into the province actually, into the heart of the province anyhow.

CALLER: Why? Why do you think so? Why do you think he’s afraid? I’m just curious.

PILATE: I just think that maybe he’s afraid of the reaction that people might give him. Not because he’s Jewish, but because of the way he talks. He’s all ascetic. He wants to work for the chronically ill. He just gives us like crazy, and every week it’s a different reason for why he wants to get into the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I'm fretting about going up that way to see fall color in a week or two. I mean I'd be in a national forest with car camping and probably see no one at all, but the cost for being wrong is stupid high.

gently caress the plague.

Buy yourself one of these toilets (bonus if you include this) so you don't have to share the facilities or rent a fifth wheel with its own bathroom. That's going to be your main point of exposure while camping.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Hearing rumblings that JB might be sending us back to Stage 3. Anyone else hearing this?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Nothing that I have heard. Our numbers have essentially plateaued for the most part from a month ago. If a month ago was not enough to drop us down to 3, right now does not seem much worse.

Indiana just decided to reopen fully with no restrictions pretty much. Give it a month or so and we will have people bringing it back from there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
poo poo. My family has a vacation planned in late October for Indiana.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Indiana just decided to reopen fully with no restrictions pretty much. Give it a month or so and we will have people bringing it back from there.

Worked real well for WI. I think they're back to a double digit positivity rate.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

WescottF1 posted:

Worked real well for WI. I think they're back to a double digit positivity rate.

Highest state in the country at 16.99%.

Time to change the Illinois state motto to, “We’re Surrounded By Morons”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Also, we're morons too. But for other reasons."

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
"Maybe if we play footsies with the pandemic it'll work out" isn't much better than what our neighbors are doing.

Seems like the current plan is to just not let anything get bad enough all at once that we have to shut down entirely again, just kind of drip feed the suffering and death so people can go to bars and restaurants.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Bars and restaurants aren't doing well with 25% capacity and outdoor seating. If we had fully shut down everything including stores for another 2 months, it would be safe enough to reopen instead of this half-open state we're in.

gently caress all these places saying they were "essential businesses" because they sold masks and hand sanitizer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LabyaMynora posted:

Highest state in the country at 16.99%.

Time to change the Illinois state motto to, “We’re Surrounded By Morons”

Cmon man, it was right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLqPfAylF4

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That's what I was thinking of... Did they change it to "morons" in the TV edit or something? :cripes:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Goddammit, just got the word that my kids' district is trying to reopen, again. Why. They previously planned to reopen, then backed off the idea because every school that opened had problems. Now they're pushing again. Unit 5 in Bloomington/Normal.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lager posted:

Goddammit, just got the word that my kids' district is trying to reopen, again. Why. They previously planned to reopen, then backed off the idea because every school that opened had problems. Now they're pushing again. Unit 5 in Bloomington/Normal.

Yep, same (CUSD 200, Wheaton North). Announced for 10/18-10/19.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blows my mind that they're having rallies to promote opening schools. gently caress off you idiots.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

This country is too stupid to live, literally.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lager posted:

Entirely true.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

A very loud minority of it has been kept alive by the smarter half. But now they have the internet to tell them everything they want to believe is true and we're hosed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

D87 announced a hybrid option and I just think it's insane.

Sure, if every kid went 2 days a week and spent the other 3 days at home, that would absolutely be safer. That's not what's gonna happen, though. A good chunk of the kids will go to school 2 days a week, and then go to an online learning 'camp' with kids from several other schools for the other 3 days. This is minimally doubling their exposure, but it's even worse, because it's multiple schools, one camp. And - for that matter - multiple camps, one school. It's a geometric expansion of contacts.

I don't know details, but I understand that some private schools and some eLearning camps have both had to shut down briefly because of cases.

Obviously being at home is safest, with some eLearning camps where needed. But this hybrid thing seems like the least safe option possible given the existence of the camps - less safe than just bringing back full classes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Lager posted:

Just imagine if there was radiation from nuclear fallout - half these motherfuckers would go sunbathing.

“I don’t SEE any radiation, looks fine to me! FAKE NEWS! :shucks:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-parents-pushing-for-school-reopenings-20200924-2l276k2h2zg65m2m6b353kkune-story.html

Anecdotally, a friend of mine works for an afterschool program that just got the call to prepare to start programming at several schools as early as next week, not sure if they were CPS schools, on reread.

Deeply amused at "My kid is bored and has trouble focusing while e-learning" and "I have to make sure my child doesn't fall asleep" as reasons that e-learning doesn't work when these things most definitely occur with in-person leaning too, the parents just don't have to see it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 24, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Just imagine if there was radiation from nuclear fallout - half these motherfuckers would go sunbathing.

“I don’t SEE any radiation, looks fine to me! FAKE NEWS! :shucks:

We need an Idiocracy 2 because the first one is no longer an accurate depiction of how the imbeciles will handle a societal breakdown.

Though really 2020 should be rewriting just about every apocalypse fiction trope out there. If we make it that far I can't wait to see what kind of movies we get out of it in 10 years.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

xzzy posted:

Though really 2020 should be rewriting just about every apocalypse fiction trope out there. If we make it that far I can't wait to see what kind of movies we get out of it in 10 years.

I had the thought recently when re-reading Neal Stephenson's Seveneves that no "approaching apocalypse" book/show/movie going forward will seem complete unless it has a large segment of society simply denying that the problem exists.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know when mail-in ballots get sent out? Signed up a couple months ago I believe.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They start tomorrow.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I got a "your ballot has been mailed" email today

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainJuan posted:

I got a "your ballot has been mailed" email today

Same here.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Same. I'm gonna VOTE so hard.

I'll show 'em. I'll show 'em all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I never gently caress with mail in voting :tinfoil: I'll just go do early voting during a lunch break.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oracle posted:

A very loud minority of it has been kept alive by the smarter half. But now they have the internet to tell them everything they want to believe is true and we're hosed.

Social media makes intelligent people ignorant as well. I think it's more of a symptom of alienation. People are increasingly bereft of meaningful social networks, so they pretend their internet social networks are just as meaningful as the real thing. That includes sharing the worldviews held by their adopted tribe.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NaanViolence posted:

Social media makes intelligent people ignorant as well. I think it's more of a symptom of alienation. People are increasingly bereft of meaningful social networks, so they pretend their internet social networks are just as meaningful as the real thing. That includes sharing the worldviews held by their adopted tribe.

Someone compared QAnon to an ARG and it really made me cock my head and go, ‘huh.’

https://www.wired.com/story/qanon-most-dangerous-multiplatform-game/

In Illinois news, long rear end lines on the first day of early voting all over the state. Over 800 people showed up in Champaign (the city not the county), two hour wait in DuPage, people lined up at 7am in Sangamon...

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/early-voting-underway-in-some-illinois-counties-/6535019/

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200924/long-lines-eager-voters-as-early-voting-begins-in-peoria?template=ampart

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/early-voting-kicks-off-in-illinois

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oracle posted:

Someone compared QAnon to an ARG and it really made me cock my head and go, ‘huh.’

https://www.wired.com/story/qanon-most-dangerous-multiplatform-game/

In Illinois news, long rear end lines on the first day of early voting all over the state. Over 800 people showed up in Champaign (the city not the county), two hour wait in DuPage, people lined up at 7am in Sangamon...

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/early-voting-underway-in-some-illinois-counties-/6535019/

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200924/long-lines-eager-voters-as-early-voting-begins-in-peoria?template=ampart

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/early-voting-kicks-off-in-illinois

From previous experience I can tell you that the election commission building in Peoria has exactly 2 machines. I’m not sure how you could even fit 638 people in the parking lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just moved out of BloNo after having lived there my whole life (to elsewhere in IL) and I gotta say I'm kinda glad to be gone. The place is a covid hotbed in the making in my opinion- with the aforementioned posts about Unit 5 and District 87 along with ISU and Heartland campuses opening back up there's just so many vulnerable people crowded up in that relatively little city right now.

edit: I just feel bad for my family, my mom is a cosmetologist and my dad is now faced with putting the elementary-age kids back to school. Why couldn't Pritzker have been more strict instead of cowtowing to whiners? :(

Oh yeah and gently caress those Fair Tax Amendment™ ads. Both the pro- and anti- campaign ads play on my TV every commercial break and it is infuriating because they're both so drat biased and it's somehow legal for them to be.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 25, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DalaranJ posted:

From previous experience I can tell you that the election commission building in Peoria has exactly 2 machines. I’m not sure how you could even fit 638 people in the parking lot.

Hmm, had 4-5 during the primary.

You're right, though, it's a small building and parking lot.

Also they sent a mailer to literally everyone saying "hey sign up for a mail-in ballot", how the gently caress are there this many people this engaged on day 1 that didn't sign up?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah and gently caress those Fair Tax Amendment™ ads. Both the pro- and anti- campaign ads play on my TV every commercial break and it is infuriating because they're both so drat biased and it's somehow legal for them to be.

Yea political ads suck, but you’re complaining about the bias? That’s the whole point of the ad. Like you’re expecting an ad to lay out the pros and cons of the bill or something?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Zarin posted:

Hmm, had 4-5 during the primary.

You're right, though, it's a small building and parking lot.

Also they sent a mailer to literally everyone saying "hey sign up for a mail-in ballot", how the gently caress are there this many people this engaged on day 1 that didn't sign up?

Most people are feeling extremely iffy about mail in voting. Since they do not trust mail in voting, they instead are voting early (probably for the first time) and they do not realize that the first few days can have the highest turnout for early voting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea political ads suck, but you’re complaining about the bias? That’s the whole point of the ad. Like you’re expecting an ad to lay out the pros and cons of the bill or something?

Political ads should be illegal

edit: Be purely informative or get off my TV. I don't need some paid-off super pac trying to tell me what and how to feel about a political issue.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 25, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Political ads should be illegal

edit: Be purely informative or get off my TV. I don't need some paid-off super pac trying to tell me what and how to feel about a political issue.
It's easy, vote yes on it

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone got a good source on the Fair Tax and how much it is expected to generate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheArmorOfContempt posted:

Anyone got a good source on the Fair Tax and how much it is expected to generate?

It can generate as much as it wants.

The Fair tax is essentially modifying the state constitution to allow for progressive tax system.

Which means they don't have to tax everyone the exact same amount for state taxes

It's why all of the advertising against the fair tax is complete BS because there's nothing preventing `Madigan` from raising taxes now The thing is they'd just have to tax everyone the same raised amount. While with a progressive tax they can theoretically anyway lower taxes on poor people and raise taxes on rich leeches.

I don't know what's the Numbers are for their initial plan but regardless of what they are this is something we need.