Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

DeimosRising posted:

I really appreciate your write ups

Seconded.

Edit: gently caress, new page.

Give me your best FULL ON action movies. Looking for stuff in the vain of Stone Cold in terms of period and quality. Anything less than 50% action time is not acceptable... I really wish there was a website that had action ratios listed! Boco_T, maybe you can add this as a metic in your reviews?

midge fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

midge posted:

Give me your best FULL ON action movies. Looking for stuff in the vain of Stone Cold in terms of period and quality. Anything less than 50% action time is not acceptable... I really wish there was a website that had action ratios listed! Boco_T, maybe you can add this as a metic in your reviews?

I would like to recommend Raw Deal, which is currently on Prime. It's wall to wall Arnold action.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Basebf555 posted:

I would like to recommend Raw Deal, which is currently on Prime. It's wall to wall Arnold action.

drat right it is. I have a custom framed original poster of this, Commando and Cobra. Dream Team! It's also the home of a top 10 Arnie one liner "You shouldn't drink.......and bake"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

Seconded.

Edit: gently caress, new page.

Did you ever get to watch Crazy Samurai Musashi? I think that movie kinda spoiled me on action time.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Did you ever get to watch Crazy Samurai Musashi? I think that movie kinda spoiled me on action time.

Yeah I did, it was interesting. A fun game was picking out certain bad dudes and seeing just how often they "respawned". It was a pretty exhausting watch and felt a bit like seeing let's play of a video game; pausing for water/sword/checkpoints. The final area REALLY dragged on before moving to the big gate the end. I was watching with a buddy who knows the technicalities of the poses/stances/etc...he was impressed at the accuracy and "sloppiness" as the movie progressed. The switch to handicam footage was REAL though - it was bookended by some really nice work.

midge fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 24, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

midge posted:

Give me your best FULL ON action movies. Looking for stuff in the vain of Stone Cold in terms of period and quality. Anything less than 50% action time is not acceptable...

Broken Path aka Attack of the Yakuza is pretty much all martial arts fight scenes between the same six guys. I think it was an American production but with Hong Kong people behind the camera. I really liked it.

Also the original Gone In 60 Seconds is literally 2/3 car chase, there is some great 70s footage in there.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

midge posted:

Showdown In Little Tokyo is the most full-out homoerotic action movie ever made. It's like barely 80 minutes and most of that is either karate fights or, like, crystal meth sex decapitations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I appreciate the thanks from y'all, all I ever want to do with these things is watch 20 bad ones in hopes that I can watch one good one and then let other people know to watch it.

I usually try to say when a movie tagged "action" has no action, but I have never really considered a ratio.

Looking at all the ones I've watched this year, I think the top ratios are in (listed here in reverse chronological order of when I watched them):
12 Rounds, Rogue, Close Range, The Debt Collector, I Am Vengeance: Retaliation, The Raid, Extraction, Savage Dog, Man of Tai Chi

These are all movies that I rated quite highly, so it's pretty safe to say that the "action ratio" is generally baked into me giving it a 3/5 or better.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Boco_T posted:

I was excited for Cena in this, but I also watched it so that tomorrow I can watch 12 Rounds 2 which I was promised has an unhinged Randy Orton performance

12 Rounds 3: Lockdown actually has 12 bullets! Dean Ambrose stars.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Finished The Tax Collector today and while there isn’t much action I am hoping this movie spawns a prequel that is just about Shia LaBeoufs character.

jase1 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

12 Rounds 3: Lockdown actually has 12 bullets! Dean Ambrose stars.
12 Rounds 3 was the first one in the series I saw, like 6 months ago. It rules because it's both a Die Hard and a Home Alone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jase1 posted:

Finished The Tax Collector today and while there isn’t much action I am hoping this movie spawns a prequel that is just about Shia LaBeoufs character.

I kind of hate-loved that movie. Especially the scene where they're all sitting round, their boss dead, discussing how to hit back, apparently a group of 'the baddest soldados in the country' talking about how good the other guy is at hiding, yet they're all just sitting in an exposed spot with, apparently, one guard. I know you have to estalish the other gang as really loving dangerous, but maybe don't do it in a way that makes the ones we're following look like absolute dipshits

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

midge posted:

Drive (1997). loving any time, any place, anywhere. Holy loving poo poo Drive puts like 98% of modern action cinema to absolute loving shame, goddamn. Incredible pacing, hilarious villains, a beautiful mix of martial arts and practical effects. It's like the prototype Rush Hour, but way loving better than Rush Hour. No joke.

Also, this shot. This loving shot. Just incredible.

Umm, I've watched dozen of movies the past month and haven't posted about them. Let me rattle off some of my favorites:

Wolf Warrior (4/5) is every jingoistic American military film you've ever seen, but China, and like two lines of coke. It's incredible, loving amazing. Scott Adkins is a phenomenal villain and he would steal the show, if the lead and his troop of Chinese patriots didn't do such a fantastic job in one of the greatest entries in the "dudes shooting each other in the jungle" subgenre.

Undisputed 2 & 3 (3.5/5) are the world's greatest underground fighting movies ever made, it's amazing what's possible when you set you film in a Russian gulag. Yuri Boyka (Scott Adkins) is such a phenomenal, well rounded character, and his entire arc really is something else. It's honestly impressive.

Eliminators (4/5) is Scott Adkins versus Wade Barrett (Stu Bennett) of WWE fame. The plot's a little whiffy, but Wade does a pretty great job coming into his own as an elite unstoppable hitman that you almost sort of wanna root for, chasing after a working class security guard caught up in a rat race to try and save his daughter.

The Base (4/5) starring Mark Dacascos is a surprisingly entertaining C-tier action budget flick with an entertaining villain - an Army sergeant on the border decides he wants to take over the LA drug trade from the Mexican drug cartels, and Dacascos is sent in undercover to infiltrate his unit. Low budget, but they work with it, and it's a pretty exciting spectacle, with a bonus (minor spoiler) tank chase in the climax.

China Strike Force (3/5) is hilarious. It's Coolio, playing Coolio, as a drug smuggler trying to move product into China with the help of Mark Dacascos. The two of them are hilarious together, even if they're not the main focus of the movie. The practical stuntwork is jawdropping, and the climax had me catching vertigo. How the gently caress did they film this? Also, incredibly loving hard to find, but absolutely worth it.

Kickboxer 5: The Redemption (3.5/5) has, uh, Mark Dacascos facing off against THE MOTHERFUCKING VILLAIN FROM loving SPACE MUTINY HOLY FUCKIN' poo poo YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS. YOU HAVE TO loving SEE THIS IMMEDIATELY

One. Perfect. Shot. Right there! Right fuckin' there!

Lady Bloodfight (4/5) stars that blonde lady from Accident Man, or also known as the stuntwoman for Black Widow in the MCU. The dialogue is a bit corny, and the plot a bit silly, but it's an all female underground deathmatch with some absolutely fuckin' brutal fights. Your mileage may vary, but I fuckin' loved this. I guess I grade female-led action flicks on a curve, whatever.

Sabotage (1995) (4/5) is Mark Dacascos and Carrie-Anne Moss facing off against Tony Todd, or as you might know him, the Black guy in The Rock who yells about how mercenaries get fuckin' paid. Tony steals the fuckin' show here as the villain, and Dacascos does a fantastic job as the sort of everyman here, with some good fight scenes, some decent gunpla, and even a bit of MacGuyver. The intelligence agency conspiracy subplot is a real hoot, too.

Dead or Alive & Dead or Alive 2: Birds (3.5, 4) are loving hilarious and surreal and the contrast of Japanese slapstick comedy with brutal, relentless violence, is really something to behold. It's really something you have to experience for yourself.

I also watched a bunch of bad movies but I didn't list them here because I don't hate you. Not sure if I mentioned it but Crying Freeman is fantastic as well if you haven't seen it already, another one of those rare Mark Dacascos films that should have made his career but nobody saw, tragically.

He was fantastic in Maximum Impact, however, although I don't think I can really reccomend it.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ sheeeit, more stuff to add to the ever-growing list of stuff to watch. Thank you.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, of course. I've been hitting the Letterboxd hard with action movie reviews, I've watched over 100 movies this year so far, like over 2/3rds of them action flicks. You can follow here if you want more in-depth reviews: https://letterboxd.com/Taintrunner/

Plus, I finished The Definitive Dacascos Power Hour - a 4 movie marathon recommendation list with 6 bonus recommendations all centered around the underrated legend Mark Dacascos. I watched over 30 movies featuring him as a leading man, and here's the list I managed to put together: https://letterboxd.com/taintrunner/list/the-definitive-dacascos-power-hour/detail/

quote:

MAIN:
1. Kickboxer 5
2. Sabotage (1996)
3. Crying Freeman
4. Drive (1997)

BONUS:
5. Only the Strong
6. Brotherhood of the Wolf
7. The Base
8. One Night in Bangkok
9. China Strike Force
10. Ultimate Justice

Click through if you wanna read all the words why this or that.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 25, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched both Drive and Millionaires Express this week thanks to this thread and had a great time, nice writeups! I had totally forgotten Rothrock was in Express and was like wait a second is she about to fight sammo hung, holy poo poo

My wife hates action but really enjoyed watching it because of just how ridiculous it was, maybe I can actually get her into all the 80s jackie chan stuff that she never saw. Her problem is violence and tone so all the goofy over the top musical cues and sound effects actually cheered her up which I was surprised to see

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

Dead or Alive & Dead or Alive 2: Birds (3.5, 4) are loving hilarious and surreal and the contrast of Japanese slapstick comedy with brutal, relentless violence, is really something to behold. It's really something you have to experience for yourself.

Dead or Alive 2 is definitely the best, but all 3 Dead or Alives are amazing in their own regard, and all have an absolutely incredible ending.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
If we're adding action-comedies: The Bodyguard and The Bodyguard 2, starring Petchtai Wongkamlao, with cameo in each by Tony Jaa.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

mastershakeman posted:

I watched both Drive and Millionaires Express this week thanks to this thread and had a great time, nice writeups! I had totally forgotten Rothrock was in Express and was like wait a second is she about to fight sammo hung, holy poo poo

My wife hates action but really enjoyed watching it because of just how ridiculous it was, maybe I can actually get her into all the 80s jackie chan stuff that she never saw. Her problem is violence and tone so all the goofy over the top musical cues and sound effects actually cheered her up which I was surprised to see

I love the little interaction in the beginning of their fight. Hmm-Hmm-Hmmm

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

midge posted:

This post really makes me wonder about action ratios. For example, I think that Fury Road is one of the gold standards of action movies, and it has a lot of good action. But if you timed the action scenes vs non-action scenes, would you break 50%? What movie would have the highest ratio?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DorianGravy posted:

What movie would have the highest ratio?

The Raid? Maybe Hard Boiled?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It depends how you define action. Does it have to involve violence or people running? Or can the infiltration sequence in mission impossible be qualified as action? How about tailing a guy while tense music plays? Is there a modifier for the intensity and fast pace of the action? Or does 10 minutes of Kirk and Spock slowly flailing at each other with those big sticks count the same as a 10 minute mind blowing Tony Jaa fight?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Hmm, all valid points. Perhaps we need three categories: intense action / mild action / non-action.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lurdiak posted:

It depends how you define action. Does it have to involve violence or people running? Or can the infiltration sequence in mission impossible be qualified as action? How about tailing a guy while tense music plays? Is there a modifier for the intensity and fast pace of the action? Or does 10 minutes of Kirk and Spock slowly flailing at each other with those big sticks count the same as a 10 minute mind blowing Tony Jaa fight?

My metric is; if you enter the room and your dad tells you to shush, there's action happening on screen.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ancient Stallone would make a good Av

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Raid? Maybe Hard Boiled?

I actually timed this when I was young, very bored and going through a dry spell. Even high action films like Ong Bak, The Raid, or Ong Bak-but-with-an-elephant, barely break half an hour of fight footage spread over roughly an hour and a half. Tom Yung Goong was the highest, at about 40 minutes. However, I very strictly kept it to the actual fight time, and didn't include the lead up to the fight, so take it with a grain of salt.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ancient Stallone would make a good Av

I'm still reeling from how very bad and mean spirited and just poorly written and constructed Last Blood was, but this is a cool piece of fan art.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm still reeling from how very bad and mean spirited and just poorly written and constructed Last Blood was, but this is a cool piece of fan art.

When describing that movie, I say it's a slasher flick only instead of wondering nervously when the killer is going to strike next, you just follow him around as he shuffles from murder scene to murder scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PlaneGuy posted:

When describing that movie, I say it's a slasher flick only instead of wondering nervously when the killer is going to strike next, you just follow him around as he shuffles from murder scene to murder scene

That's still a better description than the film deserves.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Welcome to Sudden Death with Michael Jai White comes out tomorrow and I'd never seen Sudden Death so I watched it. It's great. They used all the parts of the hockey arena for the innumerable excellent stunt sequences. The Penguin Fight is legendary.

Looks like WtSD is at a basketball game. Hopefully they had enough money to do a bunch of decent-looking arena stunts.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

PlaneGuy posted:

I've never seen a Rambo but this is selling me hard on starting at the end...

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, I'm pretty dense and tone-deaf when it comes to what people find offensive in movies, and I rarely pick up on what people would call problematic in movies. Especially in horror and action movies, where I basically engage with them on a shallow level. Except for 6 Underground, actually, where the premise is actually pretty horrifying.

Blah blah blah, all that being said, I didn't pick up on all the stuff that a lot of other people did in Last Blood, so my perspective is just from a dude that loves Rambo movies. It's okay. I think for pure insane brutal action, the fourth one is best. This one kinda felt more like a Taken movie. And it's okay. Not amazing, not horrible. It doesn't really feel like a Rambo movie to me, though, and I think a large part of that is due to his haircut, as doofy as that may seem. There's a cool slaughterfest at the end, albeit with some clumsy editing and cg gore.

Note: That's not to say that the way other people watch movies is wrong or unimportant, it's just not my default with genre films.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Narzack posted:

So, I'm pretty dense and tone-deaf when it comes to what people find offensive in movies, and I rarely pick up on what people would call problematic in movies. Especially in horror and action movies, where I basically engage with them on a shallow level. Except for 6 Underground, actually, where the premise is actually pretty horrifying.

Blah blah blah, all that being said, I didn't pick up on all the stuff that a lot of other people did in Last Blood, so my perspective is just from a dude that loves Rambo movies. It's okay. I think for pure insane brutal action, the fourth one is best. This one kinda felt more like a Taken movie. And it's okay. Not amazing, not horrible. It doesn't really feel like a Rambo movie to me, though, and I think a large part of that is due to his haircut, as doofy as that may seem. There's a cool slaughterfest at the end, albeit with some clumsy editing and cg gore.

Note: That's not to say that the way other people watch movies is wrong or unimportant, it's just not my default with genre films.

It's a right wing power fantasy of an old white guy murdering a bunch of brown foreigners. It is fairly easy to see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Last Blood was pretty terrible even before you get into power fantasies or politics or any of that stuff. As an action movie the pacing is way off, and as a thriller/revenge movie it's completely predictable and unoriginal. And it has no good performances. Stallone is bad, his family is bad, and there's no memorable villains.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think Last Blood was pretty terrible even before you get into power fantasies or politics or any of that stuff. As an action movie the pacing is way off, and as a thriller/revenge movie it's completely predictable and unoriginal. And it has no good performances. Stallone is bad, his family is bad, and there's no memorable villains.

And the annoying part is that 'Rambo takes on border violence' is a rich premise. And it does the least interesting thing. There's a sadistic gang. They do some sadistic stuff, and then rambo kills all of them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wasn't an early version of that film where he was fighting neo-nazis or something?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

And the annoying part is that 'Rambo takes on border violence' is a rich premise. And it does the least interesting thing. There's a sadistic gang. They do some sadistic stuff, and then rambo kills all of them.

My favorite part is how they invented the whole tunnel thing seemingly so that Sly could spend most of the final battle jumping up out of trap doors to ambush guys so he wouldn't have to do many scenes where he's required to run around.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grenrow posted:

My favorite part is how they invented the whole tunnel thing seemingly so that Sly could spend most of the final battle jumping up out of trap doors to ambush guys so he wouldn't have to do many scenes where he's required to run around.

That is a weird thing. And the film isn't interested in why he'd do this. There's honestly a way better take on the phenomenon of soldiers recreating the warzone at home in the Punisher TV show.

It's also so they can be very lazy with geography. At any given point, if the audience asks "Where is everyone in relation to everyone else?" the answer is always 'somewhere in the tunnels' and the film doesn't have to or indeed can't be more specific than that.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Welcome to Sudden Death (2020) - 1.5/5, Netflix
An 80-minute remake of a 110-minute movie shouldn't have any drag in it at all but the terrible script weighs this down like an anchor. Combine that with the modern low-budget production values that make it look like an episode of Psych and you get an overall disappointing result.

Michael Jai White is pretty good here and there are a couple decent fights but so much of what worked about the original Sudden Death is missing here.

The ramp up in the humor level proves that Peter Hyams was right about the approach to take with the original. Michael Eklund was not a compelling villain. Gillian White was a badass and her fight scene was very good, but then it was over in like 30 seconds, compared to what The Penguin Fight got in the original.

It pains me to say that a movie with 75 minutes of content and a few good fights is not worth your time, but you won't miss anything if you skip this one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Wasn't an early version of that film where he was fighting neo-nazis or something?

Rambo But It's Green Room would've slapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Considering the first Rambo movie has him fighting cops it's really sad how quickly the series became a reactionary fantasy.