Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Toyota hybrid drivetrains are power split planetary gear sets. The technology is actually incredibly old and I think was first used in the Panzer VI Tiger I (production version by Henschel, the Porsche Tiger was twin engine with electric final drive) where a secondary hydraulic motor with a second bevel gear spins the outer Wheels of the front differential (older tanks are front wheel drive with the engine in the back) in opposing directions, creating an RPM difference between the track sprockets.

If you connect the 2 outer gears again and replace the secondary bevel input with a spur gear, you essentially have a toyota hybrid.

The power split planetary was used post war in several automatic city busses where the split power came from a torque converter and a gear set into the planetary. The system was still used as late as the 2000s to my knowing.

Problem with power split transmissions is that they are 100% unique to the drivetrain. They have to be made bespoke to each new engine and vehicle combination and can be very tricky to map. When all is done though they make for excellent automated drivetrains.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's beautiful but why's it exploding strapped to a trailer? Mobile dyno?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

honda whisperer posted:

It's beautiful but why's it exploding strapped to a trailer? Mobile dyno?

Yeah I think it was an event sponsored by SuperFlow, that's their mobile dyno.

https://twitter.com/SuperFlowDyno/status/992109124132462592

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Memento posted:

What really shocks me in that dyno video is how many people are standing next to the truck. That's a lot of horsepower and if that drive shaft decides to gently caress off, it's going to go laterally straight out into that crowd like a mustang.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

chrisgt posted:

What really shocks me in that dyno video is how many people are standing next to the truck. That's a lot of horsepower and if that drive shaft decides to gently caress off, it's going to go laterally straight out into that crowd like a mustang.

part of me feels like super flow should be sued/punished criminally for allowing anyone near this poo poo while it's running...the other part of me wishes the problem just worked it self out catastrophically, and more often.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

You can watch our very own goon Used Sunlight Sales working an old Peterbuilt dump like a maestro. Bonus Mad Max sidekick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbvQLxCjLM

This is a good dog.

I’m just reposting for anyone who skipped pages.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

part of me feels like super flow should be sued/punished criminally for allowing anyone near this poo poo while it's running...the other part of me wishes the problem just worked it self out catastrophically, and more often.

I love that about half the crowd's first instinct when the motor blew up and literally took flight was to run toward it for better pictures or shoot fire extinguishers from 10' away. The rule should be no one in front of the vehicle in case the straps fail or it twists off the rollers, and no one to either side or behind for a reasonable distance. I'm amazed more people aren't injured in these dyno incidents.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I love that about half the crowd's first instinct when the motor blew up and literally took flight was to run toward it for better pictures or shoot fire extinguishers from 10' away. The rule should be no one in front of the vehicle in case the straps fail or it twists off the rollers, and no one to either side or behind for a reasonable distance. I'm amazed more people aren't injured in these dyno incidents.

There was a vid a few months back where a truck turbo blows out the hood and is spinning like a top 20 feet away where people were standing, and the truck was mostly inside of a garage at the time...bottom line if I ever end up around a vehicle being dyno'd I going to stay far far away and behind cover.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ulf posted:

A bit upthread someone wondered exactly why Americans don’t learn to drive manual... I can’t speak to how we got here but the current problem is availability.

My son wants to drive stick, but I sold all my cars over a decade ago. No rental companies stock manual, so I’m renting the only manual transmission in a 100 mile radius on Turo :ssh: It’s a Fiat 500 and my son is 6’3”. If any horrible mechanical failures occur I’ll keep the thread posted.

I’m 6’ 2”, and would fit in a 500 *if* they hadn’t put the seat on an 18” pedestal. But they did, and I can’t.

Combat Theory posted:

It all goes around the point mentioned above though. With a manual you will be challenged and ultimately become a better driver with a more refined control for the vehicle. With a DCT you will be not. The vast majority of people does not care about becoming better drivers (hence the trend for more automation, less feedback and control) since arguing between both camps is futile because it's a difference in personal values, there really is no better or worse for everybody. A DCT is more expensive and more fragile and takes up the task of occasionally moving your foot or hand. that's ultimately the bottom line.

This is it in a nutshell. Most people don’t want their driving appliance to have manual anything any more than they want to manually time and adjust speed of their washing machine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

There was a vid a few months back where a truck turbo blows out the hood and is spinning like a top 20 feet away where people were standing, and the truck was mostly inside of a garage at the time...bottom line if I ever end up around a vehicle being dyno'd I going to stay far far away and behind cover.

Having spent a lot of time around indoor dynos, this is pretty much intuitive behaviour for me. poo poo's scary. I suspect being outside and the "party" atmosphere of these events means people aren't quite as careful.

Certainly there should be a driveshaft loop on those trucks, especially on the Chevys.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Got a link?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

insta posted:

Got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f223SPcBj4
no hood, forgot that part, but yeah, huge chunk of metal spinning at a million rpm explodes out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f223SPcBj4
no hood, forgot that part, but yeah, huge chunk of metal spinning at a million rpm explodes out.

back-of napkin ballistics based on the flight time puts that shaft at an initial velocity of 70MPH and peak altitude ~160'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

back-of napkin ballistics based on the flight time puts that shaft at an initial velocity of 70MPH and peak altitude ~160'

watching it this time around I realized that thing was up in the air for forever, gently caress THAT. poo poo could have been like when mythbusters hit that house with a cannonball.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

sharkytm posted:

This isn't Reddit (thankfully), but please please post a thread. It sounds like an interesting job and any details you can share would be great.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd be interested to hear tolerances, materials used, etc. if it is like an arms race to gain an advantage (no matter how slight) within the regs of whatever series.

It was getting a bit off-topic in here, but I've replied as best as I can in the Sept chat thread. :)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Having spent a lot of time around indoor dynos, this is pretty much intuitive behaviour for me. poo poo's scary. I suspect being outside and the "party" atmosphere of these events means people aren't quite as careful.

Certainly there should be a driveshaft loop on those trucks, especially on the Chevys.

I'm the sort of person that starts involuntarily wincing just watching dyno pull videos, I'm not sure you could pay me enough to stand as close as some of these people are.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mjY01qQS0U

Drone view with commentary. Or if you want to go straight the kaboom, from several angles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zwCipHZGY&t=273s), including the driver bailing as soon as it went boom, wheels still spinning and driveshaft happily digging into the trailer.

e: they had a hell of a runaway on the same or a similar dyno last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJrurvjYtg&t=107s I remember when this happened that they had the truck running again (with a different engine and new wiring) the next day, but I can't find the video now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tired: Dyno Failures

Wired: Gender Reveal Dyno Failures

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tired: Dyno Failures

Wired: Gender Reveal Dyno Failures

Just a minor touch up, I promise

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LMAO looking at the videos they're just doing this poo poo in an business industrial park not a loving track lot or something.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

*takes deep breath* ah nothing like the smell of sooty diesel exhaust, shrapnel and coronavirus in the morning!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

*takes deep breath* ah nothing like the smell of sooty diesel exhaust, shrapnel and coronavirus in the morning!

Don't forget the haze of looming fascism also.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Don't forget the haze of looming fascism also.

Hard to argue it's just looming at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, if you're white the fascism hasn't affected you yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

xzzy posted:

Only if you completely lack empathy. No, the struggle isn't the same since the number of actions that affect you directly are minimal to zero. But holy fucknuts is the stress level there if you get worked up over injustice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Drone view with commentary. Or if you want to go straight the kaboom, from several angles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zwCipHZGY&t=273s), including the driver bailing as soon as it went boom, wheels still spinning and driveshaft happily digging into the trailer.

e: they had a hell of a runaway on the same or a similar dyno last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJrurvjYtg&t=107s I remember when this happened that they had the truck running again (with a different engine and new wiring) the next day, but I can't find the video now.

I'm concerned that the dyno operator didn't apply the dyno brake, so the damned thing is just whirling away driving the rear tires the whole time. Or am I wrong in thinking there is one?

xzzy posted:

If you're white, it's much more likely you ARE the fascism.
Not an absolute "are", just more likely.
full disclose: I'm so white I glow in the dark.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I'm concerned that the dyno operator didn't apply the dyno brake, so the damned thing is just whirling away driving the rear tires the whole time. Or am I wrong in thinking there is one?

If you're white, it's much more likely you ARE the fascism.
Not an absolute "are", just more likely.
full disclose: I'm so white I glow in the dark.

The operator was rushing to blow their (fire extinguisher) load.

and :whatup: GITD buddy? If I were any more pale, I'd be translucent, like a glass octopus. Having a conscience in America is pretty tough right now.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

STR posted:

Is it just me, or are there already scary mechanical noises coming from the truck in the third clip in the second vid? I’m not sure id continue a dyno pull if I heard noises like that coming from the setup until I was confident I knew where they were coming from...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

and :whatup: GITD buddy? If I were any more pale, I'd be translucent, like a glass octopus. Having a conscience in America is pretty tough right now.

Tell me about it.

charliemonster42 posted:

Is it just me, or are there already scary mechanical noises coming from the truck in the third clip in the second vid? I’m not sure id continue a dyno pull if I heard noises like that coming from the setup until I was confident I knew where they were coming from...

That's the (very heavy) dyno drum still turning and thereby still turning the truck's rear tires and whatever is left of the driveshaft attached to the rear axle flailing around. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned that they didn't brake the dyno when they broke the truck (heh.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think he's talking about the handful of misfires it had where it belched out raw fuel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zwCipHZGY&t=248s

I'm assuming his tuner was in the passenger seat, it looked like he was holding a laptop before the earth shattering kaboom that Marvin always wanted. He probably thought he'd tuned out whatever caused those misses on the fly.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Well that's a creative way to get a TBI.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

I think he's talking about the handful of misfires it had where it belched out raw fuel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zwCipHZGY&t=248s

I'm assuming his tuner was in the passenger seat, it looked like he was holding a laptop before the earth shattering kaboom that Marvin always wanted. He probably thought he'd tuned out whatever caused those misses on the fly.

Yea those raw fuel dumps would probably cause what happened too. Hydrolocked the engine splitting it in half like it did and then spraying fuel all over hot parts when it escaped

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't forget the nitrous!

e:

quote:

Master Shredder, Industrial Injection Diesel Performance's heavily-modified 6.7-liter Cummins Dodge diesel race truck piloted by Shawn Baca and Kody Pulliam, had just completed a solid 2,920-hp dyno pull (apparently the highest horsepower on a chassis dyno). Even more impressive? The truck's 4,026 lb-ft of torque. In order to eke out an extra 80 hp to reach the magic 3,000 horses, the team reportedly swapped the nitrous jets for the truck's third pull, resulting in the epic dyno-tastrophy seen below.

That torque number eclipses even an 18 wheeler, doesn't it? With half or less of the displacement?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 25, 2020

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Europeans need 14 liters to accomplish what Americans do* with only 6.7, pathetic. :smugdog:

*briefly

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 25, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even the 730hp Scania only produces 2581 ft/lbs out of 16.4 liters.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

that torque figure puts it in the region of an MTU MB 873 which will push some 5000 NM and 1500 HP out of 48 Liters of displacement (mechanical injection Twin Turbo V12)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 25, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm guessing that the service life is different.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Pretty sure about that. Most of the MTUs still around have been bought in Deutsche Mark rather than Euro.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

Don't forget the nitrous!

e:

That torque number eclipses even an 18 wheeler, doesn't it? With half or less of the displacement?

Man I didn't even consider it might have nitrous as well. I thought maybe there was so much fuel that it took up any room for air and might have put the fire out but not likely if it had oxygen available from nitrous too. It probably was just too much combustion to mechanically contain that split the block in half which is crazy to think about. Hopefully there's enough evidence of what happened and they look into it, such a crazy explosion

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Found this video of someone blowing up a 5S-FE in an old Camry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtmZ33Rpk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The red line on that tach is no loving joke.