Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Some of you guys should be writing books, not me.

Mine would be all non-fiction.

Another IT classmate hooked up with a pregnant chick and did weed so he could get out and be there for her..... there being unemployed with a dishonorable.

Oh he said he was gonna race cars for pinks slips. Something along that line of pure dumb.

The logic hurt my brain so hard I nearly stroked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Can you go into more detail on this?

Current thinking is this character is an E-something, who has just arrived at Great Lakes, calls home, and his mom doesn't answer. He drives 8 hours to Topeka and finds her murdered. Through some method he finds out the murder is tied to smuggling in the Caribbean, so he heads that way to solve it.

Let's say up to now, he's had exemplary conduct. But, he goes UA for 2 weeks. How likely is it that civilian law enforcement comes after him? Can he get on a commercial domestic flight during this time period, or would his UA automatically flag him for detainment by TSA or whoever? Can he fly internationally without being detained (say, to Barbados)?

Depending on his immediate boss he might be getting angry phone calls a minute after muster time as he drives across half the country.

On the other hand I got hit by a car at 6am underneath the H1 highway bicycling to work at Pearl. Stumbled, sat down, passed out, and woke up at noon. Nobody had bothered to look for me until then, assuming that being the diligent alcoholic I was that I was simply at a medical appointment or something and not dead from alcohol poisoning.

So assuming you get off of work at 6pm you've got about 12-18 hours before the angry/concerned phone calls start showing up. If you never answer and they keep leaving messages at first they're going to attempt to find you the normal way assuming you're in a carcrash/hospital/OD/etc. If they then notice that you're not dead and instead off in Kansas they're going to mark you UA and that starts the clock on the non-judicial legal action of trying to coerce you to come back. Until 4 weeks out you're not going to be up against any civil penalties and if you disappear off the Caribbean people are going to be mad and you'll be court martialed when you return but deserters aren't terrorists, they are mostly just allowed to fade off the grid. In modern society good luck ever fixing your mailing address + taxes + social security + credit score + healthcare + work history upon returning stateside. You'll be essentially returning as homeless assuming you even have a passport to get back into the country.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/Nadia_Shields/status/1308482812824055808?s=20

:3:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

These sailors getting younger and younger geez.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Officers don’t do pre buds anymore, they go straight to whiteshirt land in Coronado, I forget the name of the holding group.

True story you can steal from a classmate of mine, have a cycling accident and get told you were obviously drunk and kicked from the pipeline.

I was a enlisted student so I’m happy to answer questions about the process leading up to and including hell week, preferably over a call or PMs.

Breaking BUD/S is a guide to BUD/S some anonymous SEAL Officer wrote that actually would be extremely useful though outdated on a very detailed description of each step of the pipeline from calling a recruiter forward.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Can you go into more detail on this?

Current thinking is this character is an E-something, who has just arrived at Great Lakes, calls home, and his mom doesn't answer. He drives 8 hours to Topeka and finds her murdered. Through some method he finds out the murder is tied to smuggling in the Caribbean, so he heads that way to solve it.

Let's say up to now, he's had exemplary conduct. But, he goes UA for 2 weeks. How likely is it that civilian law enforcement comes after him? Can he get on a commercial domestic flight during this time period, or would his UA automatically flag him for detainment by TSA or whoever? Can he fly internationally without being detained (say, to Barbados)?

So, this was over 15 years ago and I have no idea if this would fly anymore today, but it seemed somewhat close to what you're asking so here goes?

A guy in my shop was a pretty good dude, normal, no gently caress ups or anything, just happened to be far from his immediate family. We were stationed in San Diego, he was from like Georgia or something. He got a call from his brother that indicated said brother was in a bad way, possibly suicidal. The guy tried to get something done officially so he could head out there, but it got stalled for some reason, so he just took off. Calls went no where, so they declared him UA, and because he told us what was going on, we all figured he'd show up at home. After a few days, he does exactly that, and calls in. He then worked out some deal with them that if he reported back 15 days from the day he went UA, then they'd keep all the doings to the ship (so probably a captain's mast) and that would be the end of it.

15 days later, he's no show, so the UA timer started again. 15 more days pass, he calls, and "they" told him he had a week to get his rear end back in, or they'd immediately declare him a deserter. He finally shows up back in SD while our ship was out for a few days, and apparently everything got handled before we pulled back in, so the only thing he did was come onto the ship to get his poo poo and then I never saw him again. The last word I got is that he got BCDed after he got his stuff.

I asked my LPO about the deserter thing, and was told that until 30 days passed, he'd just be a regular dude on UA. Once he was declared a deserter, they'd send cops to bring him back to SD.

Again, this was like 18 years ago, I dunno what kind of cooperation and access to details there are between the Navy and other law enforcement agencies like the TSA there are now. Its not an unusual trope for someone to UA/desert when a personal thing like a tragedy happens in other stories. I'm not sure you need to worry too much about this, unless you're making it an explicit point somewhere that he doesn't need to evade law enforcement (yet).

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Hoohah posted:

Long-rear end story

It really depends on the command. We had a cook not show up the day we were going underway for a dependents cruise, 4 days after a month at sea for RimPac. Nobody knows where he is, calls are going nowhere, nobody at his barracks room. We're not waiting on him so we head out. On our way through the channel, we get a call from Base Chaplain saying they got a message from him saying he wasn't coming back to the boat. So the command calls his mom in Baltimore to see if she knew where he was. She said, "Yeah he's here." Dude had enough bullshit and just hopped on a plane from Hawaii to Baltimore.

So he comes back, and they make him set up the ward room for his own mast. Some background, he was a good dude, but not the brightest lite brite bulb in the box. He was perpetually dinq fish. Captain asks him why he did it. And then it comes out. Since the mandatory 4 hours of extra study time every night wasn't helping him qualify faster, the chiefs decided that he could at least be productive if he wasn't going to get smarter. So they made him clean. For 4 loving hours everyday. On top of his normal work day that also included cleaning. Most of the crew had no idea this was happening, nor did the captain. This poor dude's life was working, studying, cleaning, some sleep, and that's it. Literally nothing else, nothing to wind down. For well over a month. So the captain dismissed him, and then not only proceeded to chew out the chiefs, but also explained to the crew that it was unacceptable.

So in short, punishment will depend largely on the command. Even drunk driving can get swept under the rug as long as nobody outside the command caught them.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

We were in PSNS, and things were bad enough that the thought had even crossed my mind from time to time. One dude actually bolted. I think he made it into the mid 90's. He was a passenger in a car speeding somewhere in the Southeast, they ran his license, and the cops arrested him on the spot, Whoever is in charge of Deserter wrangling went down there and fetched him from the locals and brought him back to Bremerton, where he was put in the brig awaiting Court Martial. He said and did all of the right things afterwards, pleaded to stay in (even though he very clearly didn't want to, which sort of shaped how I approached dealing with my CoC while doing my EAOS paperwork). IIRC, he ended up with 90 days restriction/Brig time and an ADSEP and ducked the OTH discharge.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Earlier that year we had someone jump ship. Doing unassisted landings and one of the topside line handlers went overboard. We had been doing man overboard drills earlier in the day, so I didn't think anything of the announcement until I realized we had been doing unassisted landings next to the pier. Eventually the story came back of what had happened.

This dude had just had enough, pulled the auto inflate on his life vest. Guys around him heard it and asked if he was alright. He apparently let out a heavy sigh and then took a running leap off the sub into the water. He began backstroking to the pier, and half way there, double hand flipped off the sail, where the Captain was observing, and shouted, "gently caress you guys I tap!" He got to the pier, climbed up the latter and began walking towards the gate.

One of the guys we had left on shore that were doing the pierside line handling finally got him to atop and talk to them. We went back out to sea for 2 weeks, and he went to mast with the commodore. They sent him right back to the boat after we pulled back in, and he finished the rest of his tour without further incident.

The Tappening was a crazy year for that boat.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cerekk posted:

we had a SEAL detachment onboard for one mission and their OIC started 90% of his stories with "When I was in the NFL..."

he was on a practice squad for part of one season

I had a boss who “played for the rangers” (...single a affiliate one summer)

Is Great Lakes important to the story for some reason? I’m trying to put together a reason this guy would be there at all.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Great Mistakes is where Navy basic is held at.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

USFF set FPCON Bravo, we can go to bars and restaurants again! :toot:

I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, but thanks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

USFF set FPCON Bravo, we can go to bars and restaurants again! :toot:

I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, but thanks.

HPCON Bravo you mean? I didn't know that bases were at elevated risk of terrorist attack.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Proust Malone posted:

I had a boss who “played for the rangers” (...single a affiliate one summer)

Is Great Lakes important to the story for some reason? I’m trying to put together a reason this guy would be there at all.

Like the other guy said basic training is in great lakes as well as a bunch of A schools plus the osvet intake program.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

orange juche posted:

HPCON Bravo you mean? I didn't know that bases were at elevated risk of terrorist attack.

Yep, that one.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. Officers are commissioned and in until they are either separated for some reason or they resign and the resignation is accepted. The president is under no obligation to accept a resignation, though, and can keep officers working until they're done with them. I believe Obama denied Gen. McChrystal's retirement more than once because he needed him for the continuation of operation useless dirt.

Haha, nooooope. Barry and McChrystal famously did not get along. Barry fired his rear end after he gave less than flattering remarks to a Rolling Stones reporter.

The army Chief of Staff during peak OIF was returned from retirement and got age and time in service waivers to keep serving. Can’t remember his name, but it’s the closest situation to what you describe that I recall.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Haha, nooooope. Barry and McChrystal famously did not get along. Barry fired his rear end after he gave less than flattering remarks to a Rolling Stones reporter.

The army Chief of Staff during peak OIF was returned from retirement and got age and time in service waivers to keep serving. Can’t remember his name, but it’s the closest situation to what you describe that I recall.

I knew they fought, but I also thought Obama made him stick around once or twice before finally firing him. The point was that officers serve at the pleasure of the president and do not have a contract with fixed end dates like enlisted people.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
well we seem to be barreling full speed ahead to a future where presidents serve at the pleasure of military officers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spent my morning getting yelled at for “being UA” because I didn’t come into work. Because I wasn’t on the schedule. Because I should have known that the schedule was wrong. Apparently this makes me a problem child.

DD214 can’t come soon enough

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cerekk posted:

well we seem to be barreling full speed ahead to a future where presidents serve at the pleasure of military officers

What does this mean? I feel like the President's ability to dig firmly into the business of the officer corps and provide very specific direction has been well demonstrated recently.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

piL posted:

What does this mean? I feel like the President's ability to dig firmly into the business of the officer corps and provide very specific direction has been well demonstrated recently.

It means that the upcoming election is being deliberately orchestrated to result in a situation where the legitimacy of the results is in question. There will be two people both claiming to have won the election, and as soon as the military follows or does not follow any order given by either of them, a bloodless coup will have occurred.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cerekk posted:

It means that the upcoming election is being deliberately orchestrated to result in a situation where the legitimacy of the results is in question. There will be two people both claiming to have won the election, and as soon as the military follows or does not follow any order given by either of them, a bloodless coup will have occurred.

Thank you for clarifying.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Spent my morning getting yelled at for “being UA” because I didn’t come into work. Because I wasn’t on the schedule. Because I should have known that the schedule was wrong. Apparently this makes me a problem child.

DD214 can’t come soon enough

At one point, I was working kind of a swing shift schedule at a squadron noon onward so I could do business with both maintenance shifts. My chief told me I was going to come man the tool room at 5 am for whatever early flight schedule thing before work. So I say sure, being the tool room clerk was not a bad deal, just hanging out drinking coffee and shuffling receipts or whatever. I get up early and pretty casually head over to a hipster coffee shop to get myself a big coffee and a pastry, and get back to my car with a voicemail on my phone (4:15 am) telling me I better get the gently caress there or get ready to see the old man. Then show up to get screamed at by like 4 different chiefs, including maintenance master chief at like 4:45

wow I am so glad I'm not in the Navy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

US Berder Patrol posted:

At one point, I was working kind of a swing shift schedule at a squadron noon onward so I could do business with both maintenance shifts. My chief told me I was going to come man the tool room at 5 am for whatever early flight schedule thing before work. So I say sure, being the tool room clerk was not a bad deal, just hanging out drinking coffee and shuffling receipts or whatever. I get up early and pretty casually head over to a hipster coffee shop to get myself a big coffee and a pastry, and get back to my car with a voicemail on my phone (4:15 am) telling me I better get the gently caress there or get ready to see the old man. Then show up to get screamed at by like 4 different chiefs, including maintenance master chief at like 4:45

wow I am so glad I'm not in the Navy

My favorite part of this sort of thing was that I was told that if I had a holiday weekend it would have been marked as such and that I should have known it was a mistake. I told them that they forget to mark the schedule all the time. They said they don’t make mistakes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
do chiefs fleet wide just attempt to cut officers out of everything so they can be broke brained idiots that abuse personnel due to their own ineptitude?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

do chiefs fleet wide just attempt to cut officers out of everything so they can be broke brained idiots that abuse personnel due to their own ineptitude?

Yeah, that seems about right.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Checks out OP

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
p much

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Join the reserves!!’nmmmm wooooooo we had a pant shitter and puker last Monday’s but we see bam no on beer ok. The r then pier liberty woooooooooo

Pinochet the bad boys let the individual make mistakes wooooooo

Edit: so one handed drunkish typing does funny things when autocorrect takes over. I meant to say “punish” not “Pinochet”. I do not advocate for tossing people out of helicopters.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 25, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's unfortunate, my Dad spoke very highly of his Chief back when (this was the 60s). My pops kept volunteering for riverine duty and his Chief kept scuttling it and after the dozenth time sat him down and told him he wouldn't send him out there to die. He to this day says he likely came home alive because of his Chief's refusal to sign off.

Meanwhile I was in an outfit where the Chiefs couldn't stop loving getting junior enlisted drunk and loving them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Join the reserves!!’nmmmm wooooooo we had a pant shitter and puker last Monday’s but we see bam no on beer ok. The r then pier liberty woooooooooo

Lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My first chief was amazing. I was leaving the ship to go take an exam for college or something. BM2 was the OOD and stopped me before I could leave the ship. He asked if I had cleared it with BMC. I called the mess and BMC answered. Said "Chief, I'm heading out to go do X." He asked "Now, Nice, why in the hell would you want to do that?" I told him "I'm trying to accelerate my life" and he hung up after laughing at me.

He was a great loving chief. He also retired not long after I left the ship.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

tying one on i see

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I had a few really good chiefs and I see good chiefs in the fleet every day but the Chiefs Mess loving sucks and as a result most of the chiefs loving suck.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had some chiefs that were super homies and some of my homies became chiefs but that uh does not define the institution

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lou Takki posted:

the Chiefs Mess loving sucks and as a result most of the chiefs loving suck.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s the easiest way out of my specific department? My LPO after a year long history of not routing my poo poo and generally being bad at his job and having public freak outs at work has now threatened to hit me with UA (that stopped at my chief) AND dumped his lovely collateral on me even though I refused so he doges the blame. I’m tired of this poo poo. If I get stuck around him any longer I’m gonna go off on him and cross the line or get depressed at this rate.

I’m seeing a doc about my past broke brain so maybe that’ll have an option but tbh except for when I’m treated like dogshit by the Navy I don’t even need antidepressants. Is there a way out there? Or what about cmeo and this kind of stuff? He’s definitely a turbochud but he’s not open about it, is just being a tantrum thrower enough? Make him clearly aware of my political views? He’ll definitely say something stupid, so far he just does passive aggressive comments whenever he sees me and he’s not in freak out mode.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 25, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do you have a command chief (who isn't bad) or an XO you can talk to? You're not out of line to bark up the chain until you are heard.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Elendil004 posted:

Do you have a command chief (who isn't bad) or an XO you can talk to? You're not out of line to bark up the chain until you are heard.

Nope. Everyone I work with is 0-3 or E-4 and below and thinks this is insane but my chain and my work are entirely separate since I work in nursing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Nope. Everyone I work with is 0-3 or E-4 and below and thinks this is insane but my chain and my work are entirely separate since I work in nursing.

Request Mast