Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Omnicarus posted:

He does the same thing again and also scolds protesters for not realizing that we just need to talk to each other.

Guuuuh. Wish he wouldn’t lean in so hard on being Your Libertarian Uncle.

I’ve skipped Common Sense altogether and it looks like I won’t be queuing this one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone compare it to the History of China podcast? I find myself listening to it in fits and starts, and relistening often because the details just don't stick in my head as much as more familiar currents of European history.

China History Podcast skips around much more and covers topics that seem interesting for 1-10 episodes. China History Podcast also has a lot of stuff covering the CCCP era. Meanwhile, the History of China is a denser chronological podcast that has only just reached the transition from the Yuan to the Ming.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone compare it to the History of China podcast? I find myself listening to it in fits and starts, and relistening often because the details just don't stick in my head as much as more familiar currents of European history.

History of China is a chronological narrative. China History Podcast is just whatever he feels like talking about at the time, like History of Japan. They don't actually overlap all that much as a result, plus CHP has a lot more recent material and History of China is just getting to the end of the Yuan.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

busalover posted:

Anyone listened to Carlin's latest Common Sense? Apparently it's super doomy and gloomy.

Didn't know he'd done any post-Trump. I liked the podcast: as a non-American he'd bring up a lot of stuff I was unaware of. I also appreciated that he stopped: he admitted that with Trump's election he just didn't understand US politics anymore and would therefore stop talking about it. Thats a rare quality in a media personality.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think you have to keep in mind that you guys, who I am just going to reasonably assume are mostly Extremely Online Warren/Bernie Voters, are not Dan's target audience for that audience. That's his "please don't vote for Trump" episode for people who are actually considering voting for Trump.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everyone who is actually considering voting for Trump is already a dedicated cultist. So wouldn't that activity be better spent trying to get people to not give up on voting entirely?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, for example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dancarlin/comments/iwoc6a/common_sense_show_320_steering_into_the_iceberg/g63j7g9/

I know it's hard to believe someone might be ignorant enough and dislike you enough to vote for a Trump-level dipshit just to spite you, but that's kind of what the episode is about.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just cannot imagine anyone who isn't EXTREMELY online caring and being mad about culture war stuff that much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are some people who are deep in the cult, some people shallow in the cult, some people who aren't in the cult but vaguely think that he'll somehow serve their purposes, and some people who buy into Antifa scaremongering and whatnot. It's weird, but there's a lot of them.

Either way, you gotta say something at some point somehow.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Omnicarus posted:

He does the same thing again and also scolds protesters for not realizing that we just need to talk to each other.

I don't think that's really what he did. It's more that he points out how the optics of violent protests and threats can, will and has been used by the right for fearmongering purposes and to further entrench the whole us vs them rhetoric

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 22, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't think that's really what he did. It's more that he points out how the optics of violent protests and threats can, will and has been used by the right for fearmongering purposes and to further entrench the whole us vs them rhetoric

Yeah. The protest movement of the late 60s and early 70s had a huge role in shaping today's culture, political and otherwise, often for the better. On the other hand it directly led to the rise of Nixon and later Regan, who explicitly campaigned against these things.

This doesn't invalidate the protests (far from it) nor should we think the likes of Nixon were stoking such fears for anything other than their own political gain.

I think it does let us say that protests and civil unrest generally can have long lasting negative political consequences, and its worthwhile to think about tactics and public perception. Action on the streets can be highly effective at effecting change, but we shouldn't pretend that every street action always furthers the movement.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Latest Common Sense was pure centrist :decorum: pablum, with a dash of "scratch a liberal/libertarian and a fascist bleeds" on Dan's part about having "fact standard tests" for voters and poo poo. Stick to the history stuff, you're out of your element, Danny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah for a guy who claims to be a Libertarian or against the two major US political parties, he has kind a lib or at least old-school view of the current protests against police brutality and the general state of affairs. Especially when the rest of the episode was him correctly stating "Trump is crazy dangerous and if you believe in him you are also dangerous", even if he wasn't that direct about it.

Whatever, as far as "people who don't agree with me 100%" go he's fairly harmless and at least acknowledges that he's still trying to make sense of our current situation, so I'll keep listening to the one Common Sense he puts out a year.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is everyone else getting ads for “Bunga Bunga” in like every podcast they listen to? These ads are so pervasive and obnoxious I will go out of my way to not listen to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Is everyone else getting ads for “Bunga Bunga” in like every podcast they listen to? These ads are so pervasive and obnoxious I will go out of my way to not listen to it.

Whitney Cummings hosting a podcast about Silvio Berlusconi seemed like some kind of weird meta-humor thing the first time I heard it.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The only podcast I listen to that has ads is Tides of History and I always skip them if I can, they're all annoying, although the podcast is good so I put up with it. I got one for Bunga Bunga. Apparently that's choke full of ads too lol.

There's already a bunga cast, Aufhebungabunga. They should probably sue.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I listen to like 40 podcasts and I have never heard of Bunga Bunga. My least favorite ads are the ones that have the words "Ron Burgundy" in them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Appoda posted:

I listen to like 40 podcasts and I have never heard of Bunga Bunga. My least favorite ads are the ones that have the words "Ron Burgundy" in them.

I invite you to listen to the Geico basketball ad.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The only good podcast ads are when Conan and Sona get especially silly with the copy reads.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bregor posted:

The only good podcast ads are when Conan and Sona get especially silly with the copy reads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJczx2XUmJQ

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The better one is the one where Mitch talks about how a sperm came out of ruined balls and grew into a grown person who he married.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I feel like Doughboys (and How Did This Get Made, before it) fell hard down the "Every show is a live show" hole.

Like, I understand that making content is hard and live shows bring in money and all the rest. But goddamn did the dumb audience participation segments make me want to diiiieeee.

:sigh:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
list to live live podcasts, my rear end (i will never listen to live podcasts)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm enjoying the Bunga Bunga podcast but much like all of Wondery's stuff, it feels as if they are stretching out over multiple episodes a story that The Dollop et al could cover in a single episode.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The only wondery show I listen to is Tides of History (thanks for the recommendation, thread), and it's super good. I don't really like the platform though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Latest Tides of History about early farmers in Europe is awesome. I love imagining the slow (although it was really pretty rapid) colonization of Europe across generations. Pretty gruesome how late Linear Pottery Culture People started to massacre and eat one another though.

Really looking forward to when we get to bronze age migrations from the steppe because I've been wondering why there was so much apparent population replacement. A pet theory is that disease played a large role.

I'm listening on spotify and the commercial breaks blow but they're easily skippable. Glad I have premium though otherwise I'd get the both the ads from the podcast and from Spotify.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1313870068732710913?s=20

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Grevling posted:

Latest Tides of History about early farmers in Europe is awesome. I love imagining the slow (although it was really pretty rapid) colonization of Europe across generations. Pretty gruesome how late Linear Pottery Culture People started to massacre and eat one another though.

Really looking forward to when we get to bronze age migrations from the steppe because I've been wondering why there was so much apparent population replacement. A pet theory is that disease played a large role.

I'm listening on spotify and the commercial breaks blow but they're easily skippable. Glad I have premium though otherwise I'd get the both the ads from the podcast and from Spotify.

I know very little about this period so it’s been fantastic listening to Tides. It’s wild to think about the LBK people and how specific they could be with their preferred territories. Maybe it’s trite, but I love being reminded that the same genius (occasionally) present today existed ~ six thousand years ago.

I’ve got to check out Wyman’s substack. I’d love to learn more about the LBK people.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Prairie Bus posted:

I know very little about this period so it’s been fantastic listening to Tides. It’s wild to think about the LBK people and how specific they could be with their preferred territories. Maybe it’s trite, but I love being reminded that the same genius (occasionally) present today existed ~ six thousand years ago.

I’ve got to check out Wyman’s substack. I’d love to learn more about the LBK people.

The substack articles usually contain less information than the podcasts but they're still a nice chaser after listening to the episode or a pretaste to make you look more forward to listening. They also have pics which is really nice. Next one is going to be about some later neolithic cultures which were formed by a mingling of the ones mentioned and European hunter gatherers, should be cool. I guess that's when we get megaliths.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I just cannot imagine anyone who isn't EXTREMELY online caring and being mad about culture war stuff that much.

Have you ever heard of baby boomers and cable news?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Have you ever heard of baby boomers and cable news?
Covered by giving up on people that deep into the cult.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Covered by giving up on people that deep into the cult.

Do you categorize watching Tucker as a form of being online?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People who both listen to the politics spin-off of a dad history podcast and watch Tucker are going to be very online. In fact they believe Trump will force their children to unblock them on facebook.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you enjoyed the Tides of History early modern history season, a nice follow on is the Yale open course Europe 1648-1945 lecture series. Not really a podcast as such, but it more or less plays like one and picks up where Wyman left off. The Yale open courses are pretty hit or miss, but a lot of these history podcasts more or less leave you with a survey course level familiarity with a subject, so listening to an actual survey course lecture series is not entirely dissimilar.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Revolutions is back on November 1. Not long now comrades :ussr:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Thanks to whoever recommended the History of English podcast! It’s been a good escape from current events

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

webmeister posted:

Revolutions is back on November 1. Not long now comrades :ussr:

Duncan's recent tweets about how he and his wife watched Emily in Paris out of obligations and how he can't get over the unrealistic portrayal of American sports fan culture is :allears: and makes me look forward to the continuation of Revolutions all the more.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You'll have to wait a little longer :smith:

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1316032594916585477

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New hardcore history is up

Supernova in the east 5
212 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

ketchup vs catsup posted:

New hardcore history is up

Supernova in the east 5
212 minutes

Thank God.
I've listened to his last 15 episodes at least three times since episode 4 dropped