Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I preordered an S because my kids play GamePass games on a 1080p TV. I ordered a PS5 for myself. I'm also interested enough in the 1st party games and hate PC gaming enough and it's cheap enough that replacing my launch bone feels worthwhile. It's also vaguely useful for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

If that 'on average 30% smaller install size' for the Series S figure holds up then you'll end up being able to install about the same amount of games on it as a PS5.

PS5 would have an effective additional 50-60GB if my math is right, so maybe you'll get one more game in there. Although who knows what each will have left after OS requirements etc.

Quick Resume will take up an amount of space, just like Hibernation does on Windows. I wonder if you will be able to set how many games you want to be able to switch between or how much hard drive space you want to set aside for the feature.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there an easy way to move games back and forth from the external HDD and the card?

I haven't had any issues with moving things around on my Xbone X between an external SSD, an external HDD and the internal HDD as needed. It is easy.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Zat posted:

I haven't had any issues with moving things around on my Xbone X between an external SSD, an external HDD and the internal HDD as needed. It is easy.

Does it work with no internet connection or does it do some bulshit DRM check when moving games in either direction?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Storm One posted:

Does it work with no internet connection or does it do some bulshit DRM check when moving games in either direction?

No. It just moves the files.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Is there a specific reason that Sony and Microsoft have both went with AMD for their chips this time?

amd are by far and away the best APU vendor. its not even close. intels stuff is garbage and nvidias are a joke powerwise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thom12255 posted:

Is there a specific reason that Sony and Microsoft have both went with AMD for their chips this time?

They needed PC-spec CPU/GPU and Intel sure as poo poo wasn’t going to build it for them

univbee posted:

One problem with these setups is figuring out account distribution. Your kid presumably has their own account, and that likely means their account needs Game Pass as well as yours. You can potentially work around that by setting the Series S as your primary, but that limits your options with what's presumably your "main" console.

I've got a similar thing happening at my place and the best solution I've found is to just have physical copies of games, but that obviously isn't possible with a Series S.

Seen a lot of gnashing of teeth from families naively trying to make 1 Switch work between multiple users and then trying to make 2-4 Switches work when different “shared” games are tied to different users’ accounts without just buying multiple copies of everything.

TheScott2K posted:

Betting CoD and Assassin's Creed get you halfway there on day 1, with Cyberpunk fuckin your drive up real good a couple weeks later.

e: that's me thinking the 500 gig Series S. So less so on the X but still, it'll fill up faster than anyone will like. Those of us who got used to having a bazillion games installed at all times on our 250 gig xbox360 are gonna have to adjust.

The solution there is to not get Assassin’s Creed

doingitwrong posted:

I feel like Microsoft is stumbling towards but can't quite commit to Apple's computer & tablet naming conventions where there's just: iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro and you have to go into the settings to figure out what year yours is from if that comes up for some reason.

Imagine if Xbox came out on a similar release cycle to an Apple device. Like, every one or two years a new Series X/S comes out with like maybe a different body color or some molding changes and that year’s version of the APU inside. Jesus.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1309192380415979521

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Seen a lot of gnashing of teeth from families naively trying to make 1 Switch work between multiple users and then trying to make 2-4 Switches work when different “shared” games are tied to different users’ accounts without just buying multiple copies of everything.

I pretty much exclusively buy Switch games on cart for precisely this reason. Once a household has need for more than one console everything gets messy with digital.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The implication that 1/7 people on earth arent part of everybody smh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The implication that 1/7 people on earth arent part of everybody smh

Yeah what a weird way to word it

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I skipped the whole Xbox One generation, is there a quick summary of what OG/360/One compatibility looks like for Series X? I assume it's an opt-in on the publisher side and not full-on hardware compatibility like PS1->PS2 or Wii->Wii U.

Curious as to how much of my existing OG/360 library would work, and how much of the One library (though I realize exclusives were slim pickins) I would gain access to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minidust posted:

I skipped the whole Xbox One generation, is there a quick summary of what OG/360/One compatibility looks like for Series X? I assume it's an opt-in on the publisher side and not full-on hardware compatibility like PS1->PS2 or Wii->Wii U.

Curious as to how much of my existing OG/360 library would work, and how much of the One library (though I realize exclusives were slim pickins) I would gain access to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

It's not everything!

Sorry, that's for BONE, didn't read your post. You can safely assume everything here will work on the Series X/S and then everything that came out on the Bone should work.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Minidust posted:

I assume it's an opt-in on the publisher side and not full-on hardware compatibility like PS1->PS2 or Wii->Wii U.
It *is* full-on hardware compatibility for Bone > Series, but not for OG/360 > Series.

I don't know much about Series X but DF covered Series S BC recently. Series X BC will be better than that.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

With the proprietary hard drive caddies (versus DIY) and the cheaper (but limited) entry-level SKU, definitely some echoes of the 360/PS3 era.

Somehow I've come around from 2013 era XBone schadenfreude, Don Mattrick dunking, and RAM jokes to considering a Series X that I really, truly don't actually need. Also somehow Microsoft made the more appealing enclosure this time around.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Escape Goat posted:

Somehow I've come around from 2013 era XBone schadenfreude, Don Mattrick dunking, and RAM jokes to considering a Series X that I really, truly don't actually need. Also somehow Microsoft made the more appealing enclosure this time around.

I too, like the box design.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still can't believe it's actually going to fit into my media center (on it's side, naturally), a miracle. I already have the Switch sitting on a speaker and looking stupid, I thought the xsx was going to have to live behind the screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

It's an odd mix. It helps to start by talking about what works on Xbox One.

There's a "whitelist" of OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games that works. It's something like 40 OG Xbox games and 350-ish Xbox 360 games. On a base Xbox One or Xbox One S they pretty much run 1:1 the same as they do on an Xbox 360. On an Xbox One X some of the games get further boosts to resolutions up to 4K, although they're still the 360 version, connect to 360 servers where applicable etc. In both cases both digital and disc versions work. A disc version you need the internet to install it, because it has to download the entire game (your disc is just a license check and still has to be in the drive to play the game). Depending on what you have, some titles may behave oddly (e.g. if you have the GOTY version of Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas I think you want to play using the 2nd disc and not the 1st disc (which it recognizes as the vanilla version only). The main guarantee with this backwards compatibility is that 360 games which use Kinect for-sure cannot work on Xbox One, those are forever trapped on an actual Xbox 360.

The way it's meant to work with the Series S and Series X is that everything that works on an Xbox One (including accessories and software) will work, with the lone exception, once again, of the Kinect and Kinect-dependent games. They're taking this pretty seriously because they completely put additions to the OG Xbox and 360 library on hold to put the team on ensuring all XB1 stuff worked on Series S and Series X. There will probably be some odd glitches or incompatibilities, most likely with really fringe stuff you probably haven't heard of.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Zat posted:

Same here. I’ve got a small external SSD that I keep my frequently played games on and a big external HDD that I store else everything on. Works pretty well

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just hope on both consoles they make it even easier. Like if something is in cold storage and I attempt to launch it, it prompts me, I hit a button and it tells me to go take a piss waiting for the data to be moved to internal storage automatically.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Wii worked that way with the SD card. It was super cool considering the games were so small that it would take no time at all to copy over to system memory, and the Wii’s internal memory was so microscopic that a couple turbo cd games would wipe you out.

The Wii also has another feature I desperately wish would come back. Buying gifts for people. It’s pretty lovely that no console since the fuckin Wii has given me a way to buy digital games for friends.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

univbee posted:

I just hope on both consoles they make it even easier. Like if something is in cold storage and I attempt to launch it, it prompts me, I hit a button and it tells me to go take a piss waiting for the data to be moved to internal storage automatically.

That's probably what it'll end up being like. And presumably it might let you select something large enough to shuffle the other way when the SSD is (inevitably) full. Maybe suggest the least recently played game or two.

Or even do some shuffling of unused things automatically like macOS does with its SSD/HDD hybrid drives? Though "surprise! we put the game you want to play in cold storage last week" would probably not go over well.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/amazon-introduces-cloud-gaming-service-luna/1100-6482558/

The cloud wars are really kicking off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm just so tired of all these cloud wars.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

The Wii also has another feature I desperately wish would come back. Buying gifts for people. It’s pretty lovely that no console since the fuckin Wii has given me a way to buy digital games for friends.

You can gift games and DLC on the Xbox One.

univbee posted:

It's something like 40 OG Xbox games and 350-ish Xbox 360 games. On a base Xbox One or Xbox One S they pretty much run 1:1 the same as they do on an Xbox 360.

To add a bit to univbee's great post:

Original Xbox games run at a higher resolution on base Xbox One consoles (4x vs the One X's 16x in most games), and I don't remember if the Xbox 360 boosted BC Xbox game resolution. A ton of 360 games run better/smoother on Xbox One than Xbox 360 (GRAW and Bioshock are two major examples that go from an unstable 30 fps to near-locked 60). There's also universal v-sync and other stuff like that.

Digital Foundry has a great article about Xbox One and Xbox One X backward compatibility: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

(Also, the Morrowind article I posted earlier this week is also really good if you haven't checked it out: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-morrowind-is-massively-improved-on-xbox-one-x)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still can't believe it's actually going to fit into my media center (on it's side, naturally), a miracle. I already have the Switch sitting on a speaker and looking stupid, I thought the xsx was going to have to live behind the screen.

can it go sideways?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

can it go sideways?

Yes. The Series X has little nubs on one side and a stand on the other.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

That's probably what it'll end up being like. And presumably it might let you select something large enough to shuffle the other way when the SSD is (inevitably) full. Maybe suggest the least recently played game or two.

Or even do some shuffling of unused things automatically like macOS does with its SSD/HDD hybrid drives? Though "surprise! we put the game you want to play in cold storage last week" would probably not go over well.

i think after xbone plans where you had no storage management and it was supposed to autodelete things without asking to make room got rightfully laughed at they wont be trying that kind of thing again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

id really like to see details on how well it cools sideways before doing it myself that sounds weird, doesnt that block an entire intake

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Zerot posted:

You can gift games and DLC on the Xbox One.

Oh god that’s incredible. I’m really just scratching my head to the bone trying to figure out why Nintendo and Sony don’t do this. I would’ve bought sooooo many games on so many sales for people.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

id really like to see details on how well it cools sideways before doing it myself that sounds weird, doesnt that block an entire intake

The intake is on the bottom. It's the reason they don't let you remove the stand.

EDIT: This video has a slide showing the cooling system and how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLeYN-t9nw&t=501s

Zerot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 24, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zerot posted:

The intake is on the bottom. It's the reason they don't let you remove the stand.

right, the intake is around the stand, its pulling from the sides upwards

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh i see now, that airflow diagram inthe vid is the one id seen but i hadnt looked at the detail, the airflow they draw on is a bit misleading unless you go look at the bottom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

Yes. The Series X has little nubs on one side and a stand on the other.

can you put it into a hole on a media unit sideways with the wall close to it? How much hole clearance will it need?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
they should make it so the thing can just run Office if you want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would buy an xbox pc if they poured the effort into a good living room mode for windows.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Safe to assume fallout 76 is coming to gamepass soon too? Bethesda is perfect for it because most of their recent games are too lovely to buy but I'm always curious about them. Didn't even give doom eternal a shot since doom 2016 didn't grab my interest for long.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Safe to assume fallout 76 is coming to gamepass soon too? Bethesda is perfect for it because most of their recent games are too lovely to buy but I'm always curious about them. Didn't even give doom eternal a shot since doom 2016 didn't grab my interest for long.

It's on Game Pass for both console and PC right now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Backwards compatibility is one of the really great things about this launch. Normally it'd be months before I had enough games on the new system before I could get rid of the previous generation.

This time round I'm trading in my Xbox One X and getting nearly £200 off the Series X with a great library already there. My stepson's Xbox One is starting to do weird, noisy things, so being able to replace his console with a Series X, where he can still game with his mates on all his current titles and have them all run and look better, never mind new stuff coming out, is pretty sweet.

I'm sure this sounds like a Microsoft hand job but we get so much enjoyment out of our systems it's hard to be pessimistic.

It's nice to know these consoles are much better comparatively than the current gen systems were at launch. I know the Xbox One was always considered underpowered, and 10% of its GPU was reserved for Kinect, but was the PS4 also considered a disappointing showing in 2013, or was that just in relation to the Jaguar CPUs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zerot posted:

It's on Game Pass for both console and PC right now.

Oh lol