Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for the Ruler Creator in CK3 so I can make the Burger King dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I posted about this in the economy thread, and realized it's more of a capitalism thing.

The gig economy is here to kick you out of your home with CIVVL

The Uber of throwing poor people out of their homes.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I would have called it weVict

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It can be pronounced as "Cee-vul"

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pay extra for pre-peeled oranges and add more plastic to landfills!

https://twitter.com/ambjohnboiton/status/1308631315768586241?s=21

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

every time I see that, the argument of "what about disabled people" comes up and I just don't know how to feel about the loving plastic containered oranges

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't find it now but I remember seeing one that was just 12 grapes encased in plastic (because eating 12 grapes as the bells ring in the new year is a tradition in Spain). There's no possible justification for that one.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

snoo posted:

every time I see that, the argument of "what about disabled people" comes up and I just don't know how to feel about the loving plastic containered oranges

"what about disabled people"
capitalism: "lmao"

"what about bougie twits who want a lazier and marginally more novel way to eat orange??"
capitalism: "SELL SELL SELL"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

I posted about this in the economy thread, and realized it's more of a capitalism thing.

Gonna rebrand maoist land reform (but with APP!) as KILLM and make a fortune brb

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

snoo posted:

That packaging looks more difficult to deal with than an orange’s skin tbh

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

That packaging looks more difficult to deal with than an orange’s skin tbh

I was gonna say, those types of containers are difficult even for someone with full use of their hands/wrists

I am not about to jump on an argument with anyone who is disabled about what they need because it's not my place, but it just comes up whenever any of these pre packaged fruits or vegetables get traction, and it sucks

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"But people with disabilities rely on them" is absolutely a ploy used by oil lobbyists and not a real argument. They started it when disposable plastic straw bans started to be a thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

snoo posted:

You should feel inspired and market a new app called PEELR.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

bike tory posted:

"But people with disabilities rely on them" is absolutely a ploy used by oil lobbyists and not a real argument. They started it when disposable plastic straw bans started to be a thing.

it's sort of like the push to find ways that disabled people can totally work

i mean, i know what that looks like when it's genuine. a mentally disabled person worked like, once a week for a few hours at my last job. it was a nice way for them to get out into the community and get to contribute a little. in terms of bottom line, it would have better for them not to be there, but it wasn't about that.

there's still a lot of union culture left over from that place being a union workplace and it helps a bit

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bike tory posted:

there are absolutely items meant for disabled people but, critically, they're never marketed as such because it doesnt sell as well to just say you're for disabled people. The dumb prepeeled oranges are not that tho

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

that logo definitely says EIVVL

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spacetoaster posted:

Someone posted the Vice article about it and it sounds super shady too

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep435n/gig-economy-company-launches-uber-but-for-evicting-people

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

bike tory posted:

if businesses gave a poo poo about universal access they wouldn’t bitch about being required to install a ramp or meet ADA guidelines

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In conclusion, never trust businesses.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I posted it earlier, but one thing I didn't mention in here is that it's owned by a parent company called OnQall, which I'm pretty sure is a Tim and Eric/Cinco product featuring James Quall and not a real company.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also my favorite part is the Vice article mentions they didn't respond to their requests for comment but blocked their IP address from visiting the website lmao.

"Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo a reporter's here what do we do?!"
"Uhh... turn out all the lights and pretend nobody's home, maybe that will trick him into leaving"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Plus ip bans are hilariously easy to circumvent these days, it's basically like being nude in public, hiding your chest and showing yer dick. But on the internet.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

http://calpaterson.com/mozilla.html

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dang I didn't realize their market share has dropped so low. I still prefer firefox over chrome especially on mobile because you can install ublock origin on mobile firefox.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Raldikuk posted:

Dang I didn't realize their market share has dropped so low. I still prefer firefox over chrome especially on mobile because you can install ublock origin on mobile firefox.

Did not know this.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm going to be real sad when the only viable browsers left are all Chromium clones.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/KOCOZach/status/1264589763689971716
Amazon trying to control the press again. Wonder how long until they just cut out the middle man and start their own news network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_news_release

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

speaking of amazon

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1309183735586226182

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does it have a gun or will the racist algorithm just call the police or a private security firm to shoot my black friends?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Does it have a gun or will the racist algorithm just call the police or a private security firm to shoot my black friends?

Yes

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Gods_Butthole posted:

I'm going to be real sad when the only viable browsers left are all Chromium clones.

at least vivaldi makes it better

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does it have 3 grams of shaped explosive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HipTO_7mUOw

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Does it have 3 grams of shaped explosive?

Yes*

*Requires an active Prime subscription along with enrollment in a monthly 3 grams of shaped explosive subscribe & save service.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Does it have a tiny needle tipped with most lethal poison?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
intruders will be tested with the gom jabbar

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

drones are one of those "could be real cool under gay anarcho-marxism but all trash under capitalism" kinda things, like machine learning (it's not ai if it's not GOFAI) or my posting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

T-man posted:

drones are one of those "could be real cool under gay anarcho-marxism but all trash under capitalism" kinda things, like machine learning (it's not ai if it's not GOFAI) or my posting

Yeah, drones are some of the best characters in the Culture universe.

These IRL ones aren't sarcastic enough

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Welcome back to the living Mr. Banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Welcome back to the living Mr. Banks